Larian Studios
Dragon's scale and witch's hair,
Take a peek soon, if you dare.
Tooth of wolf and impish blood,
Something wicked this way comes...

Posted earlier today on Instagram/Twitter, along with a rather innocuous image of a pot.

#divinity
#originalsin
#larianstudios

So they're teasing something: but what? Could it be the oft-teased big content patch? Or could Larian finally be revving up to show off one of the two big projects currently in development-- at least one of which, presumably, is an expansion/sequel to DOS?

I dunno about you folks, but I am super excited.
Its DOS related.

E3 in June will have some details on the new games.

To me it sounds like the promised update and also an expansion pack + release of linux version. Just guessing honest ;-)

The next update's release set for Halloween day?

evil
Taken at its least optimistic, it sounds like it's adding some new potion recipes.
Witchcraft maybe? smile
"Something is a-brewing..."
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Its DOS related.

E3 in June will have some details on the new games.

To me it sounds like the promised update and also an expansion pack + release of linux version. Just guessing honest ;-)

Yeah, the big (last?) update is the most likely explanation. Which should be coming... really soon.

As for E3, you really think anything will be announced? Most games take 2-3 years to develop, and usually aren't announced until they've been in development for a while. I could maybe see an expansion unveiled/teased at E3, but not the big new game with the big new IP Swen has been teasing for... years.

From the Making time to develop blog post:
We finally figured out when we'll start announcing some of our new stuff (around E3) and if things continue to progress as they are, I think we'll be showing a lot between then and the end of the year.
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
Most games take 2-3 years to develop, and usually aren't announced until they've been in development for a while.

Well CDPRojekt Red announced cyberpunk 2077 in 2012 so there are exceptions.With that in mind there is hope for an expansion announcement.
Yeah. Some developers (like SE or Bliaazrd) will announce games that are only in pre-development. Which is really annoying.

Anyway, Swen tweeted this morning about filming another KS update, so I imagine we'll see something very soon. Personally--I can't wait for that catchy update music.
Thanks for telling about the new KS update.Can't wait to hear UPDATE WE'VE GOT AN UPDATE too laugh .
https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/596651144727928832
Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
So we shot the video, but it'll still take a week before it makes it to you. Here's a hint: It features a circle smile

...The circle is now complete?
I wonder if the circle might be related to certain flightless birds...
Originally Posted by El Zoido
I wonder if the circle might be related to certain flightless birds...

African or European?
I'm rather sure they aren't carrying coconuts, anyway.
The explanation of "the circle". Sorry Lar, the beans have been spilt...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLx_JtcQVI
Nope, it's the circle under Swen's eyes
Circles make me think of mages. But I've no idea what it could mean in the context of DOS. Maybe they got around to doing time-of-day cycles?
Wouldn't mind seeing an expansion, along with the big patch the best of reasons for playthrough #2.

Circle being a day-cycle sounds optimistic... though personally I would say that's a waste of time compared to other content 0_o
I really don't expect a day/night cycle for original sin - ever. It's a ridiculous amount of work with little return for it at this point. I would like to see one in Larian's future adventures when they can design for it from the start, but retrofitting D:OS for one now is one of the least likely things I can imagine them doing.

There was another Instagram teaser yesterday, a small part of a larger picture.

Another piece of the picture.
So, how many pieces of the picture are there? Do we get an update after the last bit is revealed?
There is supposed to be a Kickstarter update this week, so hopefully it includes some additional revelations.
Random conjecture: there's going to be an arena of some kind. Arenas are usually circles, right?

There are enough sections of the picture to give more teasers than there are days left until the Kickstarter update, after excluding parts that would be less interesting or too much of a spoiler. That update should presumably be this week, if last Friday's estimate of 'a week' is accurate, so at best there will probably only be one or two more pieces revealed before the full image is.
So... A screaming orc in armor and a woman? Maybe there'll be some feature to let us choose a race in character delection. I'd love to play as a lizardman or elf (especially given how conspicuously absent they are from DOS).

Originally Posted by Windemere
I really don't expect a day/night cycle for original sin - ever. It's a ridiculous amount of work with little return for it at this point. I would like to see one in Larian's future adventures when they can design for it from the start, but retrofitting D:OS for one now is one of the least likely things I can imagine them doing.

A day/night cycle would actually entail very little work and could be done fairly quickly. I think you're confusing day/night cycles with NPC schedules, which are two very different things.

Day/night cycles would simply make the world more dynamic--both visually and in terms of ambient SFX.
So... A screaming orc in armor and a woman? Maybe there'll be some feature to let us choose a race in character delection. I'd love to play as a lizardman or elf (especially given how conspicuously absent they are from DOS).

A day/night cycle would actually entail very little work and could be done fairly quickly. I think you're confusing day/night cycles with NPC schedules, which are two very different things.

Day/night cycles would simply make the world more dynamic--both visually and in terms of ambient SFX.

A well done night cycle would actually still be quite a lot of work, because each individual zone (e.g., the fire zone in Cyseal) would have to have three or four different atmospheres specifically designed for it, and there's a number of issues to overcome with regarding zone tranfers, saves (how to remember what atmosphere you have), and other problems with making sure the player has the right atmosphere. Maybe Larian could pull it off in less time than I'd imagine, but either way Swen has said he doesn't want a day/night cycle without NPC schedules anyway, which is a huge amount of work.

Day/Night transitions are pretty awesome for sure, but they lose some immersion when everyone at the marketplace is standing around selling wares at 3 AM.

Not in Larian's mind, last time Swen commented on it. He was quite clear that he had no intentions to bother with a day/night cycle that was simply aesthetic.
It isn't going to be a racial selection, that's also too much work to implement.
You know, an Xbox 360 is a circle. think
Divinity 3: Finally Kill Damian.
Originally Posted by virumor
Divinity 3: Finally Kill Damian.

I'm betting Damian finally kills YOU! (Or the Divine), then we'll have an expansion where the Dragon Knight tracks the damned one down and shakes his/her fist at him while he blows up the world.

Then they will go all J.J. Abrams on us and do a spinoff that connects D:OS and the main Div game where events led to an alternate reality to be created where none of this actually happened.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! silly
what about a campaign of an Orc warrior and assasin woman as servants of Leandra?
You could reuse some places, but fight on oposite side. Crash few pigskin scum, attack Cisaeal Harbour, burn the ship, storm the Black Cove, plunder Hunter vilage, butcher imps at Hibernhaim ... .

Lots of fun - it is a circle somehow.
If I had to walk another time through Cyseal I would murder everyone there anyway. So by the gods please do not let it be an expansion that starts or even in any way touches Cyseal ;P I got so burned out by that town during beta.. it's the reason I just flat out ignore all beta's nowadays.
*checks email*

*sees D:OS kickstarter update*

*reads email*

D:OS Enhanced Edition? A completely new game? That's great! Except... I'm still busy with the Immaculates. I'm not half done yet! It's going to take months still with my pace. Why do you torment me so? *sob*
Given this latest update, I wonder if they still plan to release a patch for the default Original Sin, or if the Enhanced Edition is the new big "patch"?

The 'big update' became the Enhanced Edition.
No the *big* news is that this *isn't* one of the 2 secret RPG's.. wink I am really happy Larian can do all this, we'll see what comes of it, hopefully a fun RPG, maybe better, an awesome RPG? Massively overhauled story... does that mean our criticism of the character development (or rather, complete lack of it) was heard?

Not in Larian's mind, last time Swen commented on it. He was quite clear that he had no intentions to bother with a day/night cycle that was simply aesthetic.

I always took the Day/Night issues as NPC schedules as well, which imo that is the biggest deal of the two. They have a light-sourced 3d game already, the actual visuals would be imo a lot less work than dealing with schedules. PoEt went Day/Night visuals, with static NPC's for example.
Well, the enhanced edition explains the lack of modding support. What would the point of people spending a bunch of time developing mods that might not even be compatible with the new version?

I really hope standalone mods ARE compatible with the EE though. That'd be quite frustrating if all the work people have done would be for nothing, and would only make us feel more alienated than we already are. I can't blame Larian for making a bunch of good decisions all around, but once again, this is going to seriously delay modding even more, especially if they end up patching the EE version at all.

But /shrug. If they're going to make D:OS more amazing than it already is, guess compatible mods aren't as important (and they may still be compatible anyways!) One last thought: WOOOT!!!

Edit: wrong thread, but points apply anyway.
Originally Posted by Baardvark
If they're going to make D:OS more amazing than it already is, guess compatible mods aren't as important (and they may still be compatible anyways!) One last thought: WOOOT!!!

Edit: wrong thread, but points apply anyway.

Considering that there is still script in D:OS from at least 2002 I'm sure it won't break everything. Wouldn't shock me if some stuff broke though. Especially if they remove older root templates or textures and such.

I'm most interested in the two other projects... would be great if LMK finally got made.
I'm most interested in the two other projects... would be great if LMK finally got made.

Do we have a thread where we make a guess?

I'm going with D:OS 2 and Game of Thrones.
Originally Posted by Baardvark
...I really hope standalone mods ARE compatible with the EE though. That'd be quite frustrating if all the work people have done would be for nothing, and would only make us feel more alienated than we already are...
I would hope things apply the other way round with D:OS:EE mods being compatible with D:OS, since 32-bit users look like they'll be excluded from running EE (which is odd given that D:OS didn't even need the /3GB workaround that some other recent games did for 32-bit Windows).
Originally Posted by Verequus

D:OS Enhanced Edition? A completely new game? That's great! Except... I'm still busy with the Immaculates. I'm not half done yet! It's going to take months still with my pace. Why do you torment me so? *sob*

I've the same "torment-my-soul-feeling" as you've dear Verequus wink !

I've played D:OS already for hours and hours and hours .... restart many times already, but played the game not further than somewhere at level 12 ! So now, on my current playround I'm at level 7 (again), but now reading the announcement about D:OS EE, I doubt what to do :
* play at least 1 time till the end of D:OS ... (so I really can compare both versions and ... yes, what then ... ?? :hihi: ? )
or
* stop playing and WAIT till the Enhanced Edition is a fact ... (so I've more time for other things in the summer of 2015, like don't do anything but enjoy the summer sun ! )
or
* any suggestion You can gave me ....
Hi Joram!
My suggestions to you
1)You can play DOS in near future with me( well ok, or not with me/not only with me) in coop mode of course(Send me PM if you`re interested)

2)You can play another games for example Tomb Raider serises or you can play last less or more similiar RPGs like Wasteland,Pillars of Eternity.Try for example another genres adjoining to RPGs well for instance RPG with strategic elements King`s Bounty Series.

Of course you can play "ancient games" via DosBox like Might and Magic 1...

3)You can also play about with game editor,and try to do something cool *cough* Half-Life 3 *cough*

4)Or be Batman 23.06.15
Hi James,

nice suggestions laugh !

But ...

No, I'm not the Divine One O no,
But Oooo Divine One, I'm begging You,
Send to me the Magnificent Enhanced Edtion ...
(MEEeeee the Wheresheep is coming !!)
Of Divinity Original Sin !

Because I don't have time to play
Any other game than a Divinity One !
Because I don't want to play
Any other game than a Divinity Two !
And I really can't play
Any other game than a Divnity Three !

Yes, O yes, I'm Soul Forged with all that is Divinity !
If I try to play any other game I become sick
And die the day after yesterday ... !
So please, do not suggest me to play
Any other game** than a Divinity One !

I throw all other games out of my thoughts ...
Sending them all on a woodpile ...
Then use some Midnight Oil and a Magic Fireball spell
Burning all other games to the Wastelands !!
Source Magic everywhere !!!
@Horrorscope

Game of Thrones

That's quite an fascinating idea, but how would you combine this idea with such a magic-heavy combat system as D:OS?

I mean the Ranger- and Warriorstuff is fine, but at the at least one has to use magic ... although, hmm ... I have to start another walkthrough^^.
...would be great if LMK finally got made.

Oh indeed... that would be simply amazing.

But sadly, wasn't the corporate tenor that they "could do better without (licensing IPs)", as Sven stated some time ago...?

So I actually do not have that much hope, tbh.
Well I'll be damned, an expanion that will be released about the time I will probably be getting bored with Pillars of Eternity!

Looking forward to that expansion it is a great idea, eventhe art on the forum billboard looks good.

Better and Better.

I love Pillars of Eternity, and it came along at exactly the right moment when I was getting bored with Divinity OS.

But I love them both.

It's not really an expansion per se, but they've said there will be some new content, and I'm sure a lot of existing content will be refined, so it might feel like an expansion. I don't often say this, but I'm really expecting Larian to change almost every single aspect of the game and really address all the issues people have complained about. I'm expecting massive rebalancing of skills, talents, loot, and enemies, improved AI, better graphics and UI, a slicker and more nuanced story, and a better distribution of content throughout the game.

And maybe some improvements to the modding capacity, though I still express worry that existing mods will be incompatible with the enhanced edition. That'd be a serious bummer if the mod I and others spend 100+ hours on would be all for nothing, but I can't blame Larian for doing the right thing for D:OS as a whole.
@ Joram: Play it all the way through then compare with the EE and tell them what you think of the change inbetween (thing I'm always most curious about with my mod but rarely anyone who's never played the original in 10 year wants to talk about it :().

EE sounds good, I was already waiting for the 'big patch' for run 2 anyway, so the extra stuff is a nice boost. I really hope they tweaked that one Cyseal quest where if you failed luring the crowd away you were almost forced to kill everyone to recover the seperated head... that's one of the most 'bad' parts of Cyseal that stuck out to me.

All characters are now fully voiced by AAA-voice actors

What a waste of money smirk

Originally Posted by Horrorscope
PoEt went Day/Night visuals, with static NPC's for example.

And in Pillars of Eternity it sucks too. In the Baldur's Gate games night and day made sense in cities. In PoE it just means less civies, all "important" characters never take a nap, and there's a wholesome 1(!!! OMG!) character which appears only at night in the entire game opposed to being always there. And that character is a sucking beyond comprehension merchant with a stock of nothing good.
Nope... definitely one of the worse points of PoE (but fortunately not as bad as enchanting or lockpick XP, those stink beyond redeem).
© Larian Studios forums