Larian Studios
Posted By: elkasei.imunitas How to change ingame font? - 05/07/14 11:13 PM
Hi there, I wanted to ask how can I change ingame font?
I need to translate few words to my language (Czech) and default font does not support very required diacritics. frown
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 09/07/14 11:59 PM
Here are some screenshots using different fonts in game:

A more pronounced font:
[Linked Image]

A cleaner font: (If it weren't compressed and resized at photobucket. This site won't allow me to show native rez.)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Kriss Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 12:26 PM
~accidental double post~
Posted By: Kriss Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Here are some screenshots using different fonts in game:

BUT HOW

And can we change font sizes?
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 02:18 PM
Give me later today on how (time)... I wanted to make sure there was any desire out there.

As for sizes, none in the way I saw or did it. But in the top set of pics the font in general is larger than the one mostly used in game, so it does come across a bit larger and in general it is a bit easier to read.

What section in-game are you looking for to be larger? The one place we have to watch out for is the STATS section, the first font I show above in STATS it is too big and it break boundaries, the 2nd set does not. But we do have control of what font to apply to 8 different area's.

The gist is unpacking Game.Pak with the lstools feature, then going into GUI Fonts doing some work there, then repacking and placing back into the games live folder.
Posted By: guiltygod Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 06:31 PM
@Horrorscope

I have a bit of a problem with the font as well. Its not really the menu or such but dialog and speech. You know, the stuff that you have to read all day.
Posted By: Kriss Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 08:39 PM
Give me later today on how (time)... I wanted to make sure there was any desire out there.

As for sizes, none in the way I saw or did it. But in the top set of pics the font in general is larger than the one mostly used in game, so it does come across a bit larger and in general it is a bit easier to read.

What section in-game are you looking for to be larger? The one place we have to watch out for is the STATS section, the first font I show above in STATS it is too big and it break boundaries, the 2nd set does not. But we do have control of what font to apply to 8 different area's.

The gist is unpacking Game.Pak with the lstools feature, then going into GUI Fonts doing some work there, then repacking and placing back into the games live folder.

Well just in general I find most instances of text really small and hard to read.
Can you try replacing all 8 instances with this font and posting the results?
http://www.dafont.com/optimusprinceps.font
Posted By: elkasei.imunitas Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 09:26 PM
Did try to unpack with LS Tools, change font and repack, but after that game crashes instantly. Game.pak also gets twice bigger after repacking.
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 11:10 PM
Kriss, I'll test the link given in a moment.

Elkasei, what you did is most likely what I tried first and yes crash error. In the end what I did and I plan to revise the original way, was you see the 8 fonts after unpaking? I just grabbed other fonts and renamed them exactly the same name the game looks for.

For example:

One font is called: AVERIASERIF-BOLD.TTF

I just grabbed any other TTF (TimesRoman.TTF) and renamed/copied over AVERIASERIF-BOLD.TTF

So simpleton type stuff. I do want to go back and see if I can change names in the LSX to that new matching font, if nothing more than it seems more professional, however the results will be the same.

Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 11:21 PM
Kriss here is what your font looks like to what I'm currently using (Liberation Sans Bold), I'm confident this font will be easier to see in-game than the one you supplied. It won't be any larger Liberation will just be cleaner. Compare in both shots the 12 and 18 point to see which is easier to read, it will carry over in game.

[Linked Image]

Here is a comparison of the change font I used vs the main one used in game:

[Linked Image]

Let me see if I can get partial screen-shots to see if I can do this some justice.
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 10/07/14 11:43 PM
How to:

Alert: Go down many posts and there is a method where you can just download completed Font.pak files and just place the file in the mods folder.

These notes are if you want to make your own.
**Updated with new better method.

Download LSTools, install and run:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip

[Linked Image]

Unpack Game.Pak found in your main D:OS folder.
(Notice I made a backup and added a .org extension)

[Linked Image]

Save it wherever you want to. (I'm using e:\temp\Game Unpack)

[Linked Image]

Go into the unpacked folder you created, ..\public\game\gui\fonts

[Linked Image]

There are the 8 fonts used in game. There is the LSX which makes the most sense to edit that in LSTools, I just haven't had immediate success going that way. So what I simply did was find a TTF Font that I liked and renamed it to match those 8 names exactly. So the game is still looking for the same font names, it's just that those fonts were changed with something else.

Then repack just the fonts: (Made a folder called Font RePack)

[Linked Image]

(For Source Paths choose "Add Files" and just select the 8 Font .ttf files.)

[Linked Image]

Repackage...

Take Font.pak you just made and copy that into:

[Linked Image]

Done.

So the main thing is finding a font you like.
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 12:07 AM
Some Before/Afters:

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Bonus After: (NPC Dialog, nice and clear)
[Linked Image]

It is just bolder and clearer, Combat log, Inventory/Stats.
Posted By: RipTheJacker Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 03:09 AM
i have no clue how to do any of this, i just really need bigger fonts, especially on the mob info(when u press CTRL over an enemy) would really appreciate the help,
Posted By: eRe4s3r Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 03:21 AM
There is a step by step tutorial just few posts above... we can't just redistribute the game.pak as mod.. Unless Larian gives us permission

Personally, I think Verdana BOLD is the better choice ;p

Ps.: Image uploads, imgur.com
Posted By: kozmo7 Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 04:02 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with the font.

I recently purchased the game and it is completely unplayable for me due to the font size. I am a visually impaired gamer who plays modern PC games with little to no issue but the font in Divinity: OS is so small throughout the game, I am unable to play it. :[

I don't mean to derail this thread, but just wanted to add my issues with the others. I may make a separate thread for this.
Posted By: elkasei.imunitas Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 08:06 AM
Very helpful Horrorscope, thanks!
Posted By: elkasei.imunitas Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 02:39 PM
mmm, sadly it still not working. I did everything you said, but it still crashes. Strange thing is that repacked .pak file is twice bigger then original file. x)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SieB Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 02:49 PM
Thanks for the guide on how to change the font laugh

My eyes are saved smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SieB Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by elkasei.imunitas
mmm, sadly it still not working. I did everything you said, but it still crashes. Strange thing is that repacked .pak file is twice bigger then original file. x

The "source paths" should be the "public" folder

so instead of

D:\soubory\game files\game unpack

it should be

D:\soubory\game files\game unpack\public

Also it is \ not / smile
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 03:24 PM
Also to note the repack could be larger if you don't choose compression, see left-center drop down. I run uncompressed for that additional .001 FPS! smile
Posted By: tubs Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 03:27 PM
FYI: Running uncompressed probably slows you down since you're going to be spending more time reading from disk (compared to which decompression is miniscule).
Posted By: guiltygod Re: How to change ingame font? - 11/07/14 06:40 PM
@Horrorscope, thank you so much! While bigger would be better this does make it 100 times easier to see. I tip my hat to you sir.

UPDATE: Can anyone send me a link where to download LSTools? I can't seem to find the right one. Seriously theres like 10 versions of LSTools by different publishers and so far all of them are incorrect.
Posted By: Synthesis Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 01:18 AM
Amazing job you did there Horrorscope smile I'm glad that there's a way to change the font. The original text size in this game is very tiny and painful for me to read it frown. I wonder if it's possible to increase the tiny weapons stats text? Like Single Handed+1 or Strength +1 those texts
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 01:52 AM
smile

Since the grids don't resize/scale we have to make it fit in with what they give us. So we can put slightly larger fonts by design in vs what the game ships with. The main thing we are looking for is a crisp, easy to read, bulky font, so it can be read well against a moving background.

Here is another font that works well:

[Linked Image]

Here are some comparisons of the smaller sections of text, with our stats:

Original:
[Linked Image]

Liberation, a clean bold font:

[Linked Image]

Poetsen One, a fat but clean font:

[Linked Image]

Somewhat subtle, but really still quite a bit clearer. Popup chat, much easier to read against a living background.
Posted By: ZoddGuts Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 02:55 AM
Man I'm hoping for this text mod. My eyes has gone the crapper these last few years and I have to sit very close to the monitor in order to read the text in the game.
Posted By: kozmo7 Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 02:56 AM
Very cool that you re toying with this, I appreciate your findings. What exactly would need to be done to allow for text grid resizing? Not necessarily within menu text, but floating item text or enemy descriptions and the like. Complete overhaul of how the UI is designed I assume?

Pardon further ignorance, but would the game allow for just resizing of UI elements themselves rather than trying to enlarge its text? Bigger menu scales and the like. Possibly even recoloring or redesigning the menu itself.

Thank you.
Posted By: Norbyte Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by elkasei.imunitas
Game.pak also gets twice bigger after repacking.

This is now fixed, the package was written to disk twice because of a bug.

Also, you're better off just repackaging the .ttf font files or the Public/Game/GUI/Fonts folder into a new package, as it won't be incompatible with game patches and other Main module mods that way:
[Linked Image]

... then just drop the FontOverrides.pak into the My Docs\Larian\D:OS\Mods folder.
Posted By: elkasei.imunitas Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 10:01 AM
Splendid! Thanks for help everyone.
Posted By: LawRhed Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 02:22 PM
Holy God!! This save the game for me. Thanks everyone smile
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Norbyte
This is now fixed, the package was written to disk twice because of a bug.

Is there a fixed link we can go to that will always have the latest LS Tools? I also notice I don't have the add files option with the version I have.
Posted By: Norbyte Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 07:36 PM
Is there a fixed link we can go to that will always have the latest LS Tools? I also notice I don't have the add files option with the version I have.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip
This link always had, and will always have the latest version. I've uploaded a version to mega.co.nz for those who couldn't download it from Dropbox because of Chrome malicious file warnings, but that version wasn't updated since 0.1.6.
Posted By: Sunricer Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 08:29 PM
Since I'm apparently not intelligent enough to get that step by step guide to work, could someone dumb down the instructions even more? I follow them exactly (far as I can tell) but the game still crashes once I replace the game.pak for the new one.
Posted By: SieB Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Sunricer
Since I'm apparently not intelligent enough to get that step by step guide to work, could someone dumb down the instructions even more? I follow them exactly (far as I can tell) but the game still crashes once I replace the game.pak for the new one.

Here is my repacked game.pak file with a better font, same font posted by Horrorscope a few posts up.

http://www.firedrive.com/file/82DD254E6D4C526B

Make a backup of your original incase it doesn't work and then just copy paste it in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data

And overwrite when asked.
Posted By: Sunricer Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:10 PM
Thank you. I will try that.
Actually, the zip won't let me extract the file.

! C:\Users\Eier PC\Desktop\Fonts.7z: Unknown method in Game.pak
! C:\Users\Eier PC\Desktop\Fonts.7z: Error - operation failed
Posted By: SieB Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:27 PM
Thank you. I will try that.
Actually, the zip won't let me extract the file.

! C:\Users\Eier PC\Desktop\Fonts.7z: Unknown method in Game.pak
! C:\Users\Eier PC\Desktop\Fonts.7z: Error - operation failed

Strange, I just downloaded and tested it and it works for me using 7zip.

Anyway, here is the game.pak file itself, no unziping needed.

http://www.firedrive.com/file/DE46FA2519C4FCB8
Posted By: Sunricer Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:31 PM
Yeah, I asked some friends about it and they managed to extract it just fine, reinstalling 7zip atm, but thanks for the direct download to the file.
Posted By: Sunricer Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:34 PM
That worked, thank you very much. The issue seems to be with my PC though, seeing as it works fine for everyone else.
Posted By: SieB Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 09:47 PM
That worked, thank you very much. The issue seems to be with my PC though, seeing as it works fine for everyone else.

No probs, enjoy smile
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 12/07/14 10:09 PM
Quick Placement Method
(Thanks Norbyte with LSTools update and pointers)

You can download and try any of these three font replacements. (Two pure, one mixed)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/54hdxvahe9emi0r/Font1.pak
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h389jd9rziliuar/Font2.pak
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xiy75rcte68659n/Font3.pak

Then just copy one of those font files into...

[Linked Image]

That's it. Run and done...
Posted By: Synthesis Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 02:35 AM
Hey Horrorscope which are the ones that's Poetsen One? I would like to download that font replacer mod and test it myself wink
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 03:31 AM
Font1
Posted By: Synthesis Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 04:27 AM
I just dropped the Font1.pak into the location you pointed at and for some reason when i clicked Mods there's nothing there frown Am i doing it right?
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Synthesis
I just dropped the Font1.pak into the location you pointed at and for some reason when i clicked Mods there's nothing there frown Am i doing it right?

So you can see Font1.pak in the Mods folder under documents?
When you start the game up, no change to fonts?
I'll run a test to make sure you do not need a mod installed prior.
Posted By: osrai Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 11:32 AM
When i change font is font error (sorry english bad ). Help me please.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Norbyte Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Synthesis

Main mod .pak-s that were created manually will not be visible in the Mods menu.
It doesn't matter however; the game engine will add the paths in the .pak even if you uncheck the checkbox next to a mod, it'll only prevent it from loading the Mods\%modName%\ stuff, but it won't prevent Mods\Main\ and Public\Main\ overrides from working.
Posted By: Norbyte Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by osrai

v1.0.36? Isn't that a wee bit old?
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 13/07/14 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by osrai

Are you using the english version of the game?
Posted By: Vrakyas Re: How to change ingame font? - 18/07/14 10:05 PM
I created my own font replacer and it seems to work fine.
But sometimes the "new" font won't load and the default font shows up when I start the game. When I restart the game "my" font is there again.

What's causing this bug? It doesn't matter if I put the .pak-file to the \divinity original sin\data folder or to \documents\larian studios\divinity original sin\mods - both work and sometimes it doesn't.

It's very annoying, so how can I avoid this?
Posted By: welp Re: How to change ingame font? - 20/07/14 12:45 PM
Thanks for this, I play on a htpc and needed a text mod before I could play. Hopefully soon we can find a way to change the size as well.
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 20/07/14 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Vrakyas
I created my own font replacer and it seems to work fine.
But sometimes the "new" font won't load and the default font shows up when I start the game. When I restart the game "my" font is there again.

What's causing this bug? It doesn't matter if I put the .pak-file to the \divinity original sin\data folder or to \documents\larian studios\divinity original sin\mods - both work and sometimes it doesn't.

It's very annoying, so how can I avoid this?

This started with the first official patch last week. There seems to be mods that randomly work or not since, this is one. A few other comments here have talked about this random behavior. I can't tell if it is a bug or something they are doing because they don't want us to be doing what we are.
Posted By: daft73 Re: How to change ingame font? - 21/07/14 04:48 PM
Thanks for this....Made me happy this morn, and it worked fine. celebrate thankyou jawdrop
Posted By: daft73 Re: How to change ingame font? - 22/07/14 07:45 PM
So it works, but I need to 'drag it out/back in' of the mods folder, not the best situation, but workable until a better solution comes about. Thanks for your effort and time Horrorscope cheer

[Linked Image]

Much better than the situation I had between these two posts..my Video card blew up...had to go buy a new one cheer ouch
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: How to change ingame font? - 22/07/14 11:05 PM
^Yeah something changed on the last big update, I just restart the game up to I think 4 times is the most I've had to try before the new font kicks in. Sometimes it works the first time many times and others... Everything computers aren't supposed to be. smile

My guess is not using the Font.pak and going back to the original thoughts on what we initially did in this thread, that that would work consistently, well until an update changes it perhaps. That way changes the original-core files, not a read from the game in the mod folder to see what to add-on.
Posted By: daft73 Re: How to change ingame font? - 23/07/14 04:23 PM
Indeed, patiently awaiting. Thanks for the response. bow
Posted By: Vrakyas Re: How to change ingame font? - 25/07/14 09:04 AM
There is a workaround for this.
Just unpack the .pak-files so that the font files go to \Data\Public\Game\GUI\fonts - this will work every time you start D:OS.
© Larian Studios forums