Divinity Banner
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Baldur's Gate III - General
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Sordak
Casters are OP because in RTWP half of the Martials options dont even exist. Its a fundamental flaw with DnD. And the only edition that fixed this flaw, 4e, was universally hated by purists and thats why WOTC now locks any usefull maneuvers for martials behind the Battlemaster subclass for fighters.
RTWP makes the whole thing worse by making movement far too safe, thus making martial battlefield controll even harder to achieve.

If it's a "fundamental flaw with DnD", then it has nothing to do with a system being RTWP and not TB.

If by "movement being too safe" you mean the kiting strategy is too good in the BG games, then that's true. But this has nothing to do with whether your character is a caster or not. You can hit and run with any character. In the case of casters, it is mostly because there are spells that make your character completely invulnerable to everything. In the case of archers, then it is because the BG games do not have an Attack of Opportunity mechanics (and maybe other PnP mechanics that I'm not aware of). I don't see why these mechanics can't be implemented, at least to some extend, in a RTWP game, however. In NWN you will take a lot of AOO's if you move about recklessly in combat. The first Pillars of Eternity game implements a ridiculously heavy AOO mechanics, with every single enemy and their dog being able to perform AOO, that cripples spellcasters and the whole combat experience in general.

So the bottom line is, this starts to sound like a "balancing" problem to me, which can be handled just fine without having to change the whole system from RTWP to TB or vice versa.

Because in my opinion, you just stop paying attention to 5/6 fights. Oh look its goblins again, lets just autoattack them to death. or lets just cast fireball and thats that.
From what ive heard from people that enjoy RTWP, the parts about RTWP they actually like, as in, the planning ahead, the thinking what each character is going to do.
The identifying of enemy casters and what they are going to do.
All of that exists in turn based systems. But without the tedium of trash monsters.

I don't see how this cannot happen in a TB game? You're speaking as if "the tedium of trash monsters" is something that only exists in a RTWP game. If I'm playing a TB game and see that "it's golins again", then yeah, you bet I'm just gonna autoattack them to death, or instant kill them with a fireball. If anything, having to do this in TB would make it even more tedious. I don't know - you've been trying to convince everyone that TB is a superior system, but most of the times you're citing reasons that have nothing to do with the system being RTWP or TB.

in Turn based, you mut commit to your movement as you rightfully point out. This means you must predict what your enemy is going to do on his turn.

If you say RTWP is "less tactical" because you generally don't have to commit as strongly in a plan of action, fair enough. That is your opinion. IMO, "commitment" is hardly the single factor that determines just how "tactical" a game's combat is. To me, how tactical it is depends on the depths of mechanics, the level of interaction between different abilities, interaction between characters and environment, cross-class combinations, the possibilities of unorthodox and creative strategies, timing your various attacks for better results, coordinating and positioning party members, and numerous other finer, obscure details which you probably won't find out unless you use an editor to open up the game's data or read them on a wiki.

In RTWP; you can change the direction of your move at any point and immediatly react. Thus its less tactical as there are less risks to be taken.

In TB, you can "predict", but you can play the "predict" game just fine in RTWP, if you like predicting. In RTWP, I can change my course of action and immediately react, but so does every single enemy. The real problem here is AI, which is a scripting problem. You want the AI to be able to react in a smart manner. To me, it is not "less" tactical or risky. It is simply a different kind of tactical and risky. In RTWP you can pause and think, but it doesn't change the fact that time is ticking, and sometimes, in the toughest fights, you have to time your moves perfectly. When there are 12 combatants on the battlefield, there's plenty of tactics and risks in keeping track of how long various effects last and timing your various offenses and defenses from all party members. In TB you can sit back and leisurely do whatever you want within your turn, and just sit back and watch enemies do whatever they want within their turn. This is one of the things that make RTWP *fun* - a faster pace and more frantic experience, without having to compromise the tactical aspect. Not to mention, RTWP simply reflects a real fight better. Period.

In the particular case of Baldur's Gate 2, all it needs is a few select mods that rebalance items and abilities and improve AI across the board. If you say BG2 + Item Revisions + Spell Revisions + SCS is not "tactical" and challenging, then I have no idea what is.
38 643 Read More
1 hour ago
I do not know if you guys remember Never Winter Nights and the editor they had but it would be amazing if they would allow something like that and players could post self made dungeons and such. I do see the potential for cheating if there was a editor although. +5 Holy Weapons for EVERYONE ugh.....
4 103 Read More
2 hours ago
I would love to see turn based but doubt it will be a thing since Larian in the other titles never seems to do turn based. But there is some hope since Pillars of Eternity 2 not long ago got a turn based options maybe Larian can do something similar.
66 1,541 Read More
Divinity Original Sin - Mods
2 hours ago
Looks like I doomed to never get an ending I want to have.
Thanks for the info smile
271 237,637 Read More
5 hours ago
Originally Posted by hotmac
I just don't see how having to consult a spread sheet or spend hours "researching" options for a NPC character to build them correctly for your party is fun!

The spreadsheet's faster than rolling dice by hand, which was what I was doing before I wrote it. The point though is I much rather roll my stats as the first step to creating my character, before I choose my race and class, the way the Good Gygax intended.

As for a crafting system, I hope they leave it out all together. Brewing a potion or building a magic item in the middle of a dungeon is just silly. If they implement strongholds or something for higher levels, I could see it as something you do during downtime.
38 775 Read More
5 hours ago
Originally Posted by Iuris Tantum
Originally Posted by tundalus
Real-Time-with-Pause vs. Turn-Based: The Baldur's Gate series is the definitive game franchise for real-time-with-pause combat. It's how the games were made to be- a real-time adaptation of turn-based D&D mechanics that a few clever people realized could be automated for a video game. I'm very concerned that Larian is at the helm because they are known for turn-based games. You can already observe a big rift forming in the game's prospective community around this issue... the old Infinity Engine system is hard for new players to grapple with, and games using it will never be as popular as a simple turn-based system, but for me, it's crucial to the identity of the series and the fast-paced excitement of the gameplay. For me, the fact that's it's even being debated is sacrilegious.

It's funny that you say this because Baldur's Gate was only made real time with pause because BioWare was doing an RTS that got cancelled, and they didn't have enough time to convert their engine into a turn-based system. So no, Baldur's Gate was never made to be RTwP. It was a complete accident born out of necessity.

Source?
6 119 Read More
12 hours ago
GM mode was mostly unused in OS2.
Proper peresistant worlds however could lead to a lot of replay value and an extended life and for that alone i say have em.
13 404 Read More
Divinity - Original Sin 2 - Bugs & Technical Problems
13 hours ago

I'll create a bug report to get a writer to look at this. Either it was a mistake in the voiced line, or a change in the line after it was voiced.
1 25 Read More
13 hours ago

Is the eGPU a Vega model (16 or 20, at least)? This is a known driver issue, which should be fixed in a future game update.
1 9 Read More
13 hours ago

There was a fix for this issue. Fixing an issue doesn't mean there can not be a different trigger for the same symptoms, or that a subsequent change couldn't either interfere with the fix or reintroduce the original problem.

If you have a save where this issue can be reproduced, and are playing on PC, please email it to supportdos2@larian.com (or email/post a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc). If you are using any mods, also include a list of those enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx from your profile folder.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder' (and similarly in OSX/Finder).

PS4 saves can be sent, as well, but they would need to be transferred to a USB flash drive first.
In the Saved Data in System Storage section of the Settings menu, click Copy to USB Storage Device, select the relevant save(s) and Copy. From there you can zip the files, then copy to email or upload somewhere and provide a link.
8 2,798 Read More
Divinity - Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
14 hours ago

Unfortunately, the limit was increased as much as was possible. The item generation system is a fundamental mechanic in the game, and changing it would have an impact on many other systems, implicit and explicit, requiring very thorough testing to implement. The more widespread the effect the greater the chance of introducing bugs or unintended consequences, and the risk of causing problems that could effect many more people was judged to be greater than the chance of hitting the item limit.

When the item generation system was first designed, the number of handles seemed to be practically unlimited, so there was no reason to make it overly complicated by reusing handles, etc (it is certainly possible, but requires very careful bookkeeping to make sure the associated item really is gone and nothing will check for the original item using the reassigned handle). As development progressed, the game grew significantly, but even then no one hit the handle limit in D:OS Classic until after the issue was identified and the limit increased in the Enhanced Edition. For D:OS Classic, I have seen 2 reports of this, both with play times of 550+ hours. It was only with changes in one of the EE updates which increased the demand for handles (more items being classified as global, rather than local) that this resulted in the limit being reachable by a great deal of crafting/trading/looting, or leaving the game running and checking merchants periodically.
1,038 1,236,283 Read More
Yesterday at 09:30 PM
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting BG3!!

So, I have played Divinity Original Sin (1) from start to finish and loved it! I got DOS 2 for Christmas (2018) and as of now I just started playing it and I have to say, its very frustrating!

What do I mean, well, there are just TOO many character choices/options to pick and if a error is made, no way to fix that till end of Act 1.
It literary gives me a headache to try and pick a class that can survive Act 1, now maybe I'm a bad player, so be it but a game being played on normal should not give anyone a headache in trying to decide what roles each character should play and trying to get a survivable party together.

Im all in for a open world, be what you want to be , yata yata yata, its all good especially for game PR but we need to be realistic, its a game for people to have FUN
I cant tell you how many times I read, "I had to start all over" so many times because of bad party composition/creation, (hell, I bet even the developers were overwhelmed in trying to keep everything straight in their heads/game). Do you have statistics of how many people actually finished the game?

I watched some of BG/BG2 EE edition and I noticed that it has an AI that can be assigned to each character so that you don't have to micro manage everything, I hope that stays in BG3.

So, bottom line, dont make the game so overwhelming that the dev's are confused, players are confused and everyone gets a headache (yes they buy the game, you get the money but are they being served well?)

On normal difficulty , no one should be confused or get a headache.

The story and exploration (loot yes, everyone likes "shiny toys") should be the main driver of the game (RPG), in my view there should be limited character creation for characters that are in the game already (party members). Only ONE character should have the full scale of character creation, from looks to states), everyone else should have rolls already assigned and ready to go, you use them or not, that's the players choice and every party member should should have a AI that can be assigned to them based on their roll/talents (as in the BG1/2 EE)

I'm still playing DOS2 and I'm getting there but its a slog (just got my collar removed), my party is not op but I am NOT starting over no matter what.

Dont make the Acts so uneven, it should be a even flow act1, 2, 3 (that's if you have Acts in BG3), DON'T expect the player to "steal" everything to get ahead (like in Act 1 of DOS2 and then have everything just about handed to them in Act2/3)

Just my thoughts, if you don't agree, that's fine, I probably did not fully explain my frustration with ACT1 of DOS2, I just hope that BG3 will be "better", I know you can do it Larian!
5 236 Read More
Divinity - Original Sin 2 - General
Yesterday at 08:15 PM
thanks Raze!

i added the .pak files in the /Contents/Data in the app (Divinity Original Sin 2 application) container.

Thanks again!
2 49 Read More
Yesterday at 12:35 PM
And i wonder.
Have you played DnD 5E? Thats the system were getting, and if we get a game that is only limited to the rules of that system, well be getting a very very boring video game.
As for misses. OS2 had misses. Every RTWP game had misses, every Turn based RPG game has misses.
To me, this is an indication that BG3 will be an action RPG in terms of combat.
4 296 Read More
Yesterday at 12:13 PM
It realy depends on the perspective.
If its isometric, something like OS2 is perfectly sufficient to me. Especialy if you get the option for Portraits like in all traditional DnD games.
Now lets say we get an action combat game in the vein of Divinity 2? Yeah, i definitly want a proper character creator in that case.

That beeing said, i prefer all the core races to be in the game over having the most robust character creator.
4 104 Read More
Yesterday at 12:07 PM
I think in general the idea here is to create a game in the spirit of the originals rather than in the exact form.
If the developers back then had a different engine and different technical capeabilities, theyd have made different games. And you can see this from later DnD games like Neverwinter Nights or ToEE.
If they were to make one today, i figure it would be closer to Dragons Dogma than any infinity engine game.

Regardless, i think the issue you are discribing mostly comes from the system itself. DnD is a very abstract system and it is so for a reason:
Its a PnP game and simulationism can be a pain in the arse, if youve ever played The Dark Eye you know what i mean.
5E is a notoriously easy to run and low depth version of DnD, the reason for this is that 3.5, the edition 5E is based on was very cumbersome to run due to beeing very bloated with material.
2E which baldurs gate (besides the dark alliance ones) is based on is an older, more archaic version that had its focus very clearly on the dungoen crawling aspect, something the game took a step away from in third edition.

Introductions aside, DnD is an abstract game because that makes it easy and fast to run, however, one of the strengths of a PC game is that you dont have to consider ease of running. Thats probably why NWN with its port of the third edition ruleset became very popular. Also why people bemoan that there never has been a fourth edition video game.
Which kind of leads us to enviroment interactions. To someone who doesnt play DnD, this most likeley seems to be an issue. As DnD doesnt have enviroment interactions in the way Original Sin does.
This however is completley untrue, ill give you an example from a very early point in the campaign im DMing right now.

AS you might now, Dragonborn are a core race since 4th edition and a friend of mine played a Dragonborn with the Thunder breath ability.
In one of the first couple of enocunters, my party was fighting a Tribe of Kobolds, while they were engaged with Kobold skirmishers at a riverbank, kobold reinforcements were wading through the shallow water, so my player decided that she would use her breath attack on the kobolds in the water.
When i was about to tell her she hit two Kobolds she told me she expects to be able to hit all of them, as they are all partly submerged in water and sureley her electric dragons breath would fry the lot of them.
This lead me to homebrewing the effect of this interaction on the spot.
So its not that DnD doesnt HAVE these thigns, its that it doesnt have rules for them because that leads to some very cumbersome gameplay. Also editions like 4E are centered around balanced gameplay rather than simulationism.

What Sven said when he talked about "Systems" is that he wants to put systems into place that simulate a Dungoen Master. An arbitrator of what you can and cannot do. Naturally this can extend beyodn the rules, anyone that ever DMed will tell you that you probably cant make it to session 2 in any campaign without having to houserule one thing or another.

As for RTWP: Im gonna make myself realy unpopular right now: but RTWP is a terrible system that only exists due to the limitations of their time. It was an attempt to emulate the DnD ruleset and thats it. It snot some sort of holy grail. It leads to terrible combat and repetetive encounter design in which only a couple of encounters will actually be thought about while most of them will be "right click toe goblins".
From Svens combat, i think we wont get either RTWP or Turn based but a completley different system alltogether. my money is on something like Divinity 2 or maybe Dragons Dogma.
9 192 Read More
Yesterday at 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by shmerl
@Raze: any word on this from Larian?

Originally Posted by Turin231
+1 for a Linux version. And also no matter if there is a port or not i would love to know from the side of Larian if the fact that they will have a Stadia version makes linux porting any easier than otherwise.

It naturally should make it easier. Unlike the situation with Divinity: Original Sin, where Linux port was problematic due to middleware and such, which caused D:OS2 not to come out for Linux at all, now that Laran are developing for Stadia, whatever engine they'll use (custom or common like Unreal / Unity), they'll have to make it work on Linux.

So to make it work on normal desktop Linux, they'll just have to make Vulkan backend go to screen, not to video, and replace Stadia's SDK input handling with normal SDL and such. A lot less work than what was needed for their previous games. All the heavy lifting would be already done. So unless they'll make some hard dependency on multiplayer over Stadia (I surely hope they don't, and they are already releasing it in other stores anyway so it seems to be a non issue), this should be easy to do.

Intuitively that is what i believe as well. But i would love to hear their experience directly. One thing that i am sure though is that using Vulkan for the game (i assume the windows version will also use vulkan) it would be straightforward to whitelist on Proton. Even DO:S 2 with all the issues you mentioned works perfectly fine (using the GOG copy and Lutris).
10 893 Read More
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
What do you think should have been done with Bhaal's Essence in BG3.
Since it's a follow up from the game series i think it is only natural they follow that storyline.
So either Bhaal's essence is destroyed? Well most part since there are a few Bhaalspawn suvivors if im not mistaken? Viekang?
Or should it have been claimed by main char and is he now a god / demi god?
Perhaps both options should be available at the start of BG3 as a choice.

Seeing how BG1 to BG2 went. MC is most likely a good / neutral character. He would probably destroy the essence and keep on adventuring.
This is based on the fact of starting companions in Irenicus's dungeon.

I am curious what people think about this subject? It seems to be one of the most important things about BG3 storyline?
Or should it not be mentioned at all and simply be ignored. BG3 is a new diffrent game?
0 39 Read More
General
Yesterday at 07:11 AM
Good morning! Sorry if a bit off.

We started the preparations to translate the game, our dictionary is coming along nicely. smile

As we extracted the texts, we can see that the lines are mixed randomly.
Maybe there is anyone here who could advise how to group/sort them effectively?

Thanks a lot!
7 1,398 Read More
Yesterday at 05:52 AM

A fix would need to be added to a future game update.
3 60 Read More
Yesterday at 05:52 AM

Please email supportdos2@larian.com with your latest save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc), and if available the most recent save that works and the oldest where combat is blocked if your avatar is involved. If you are using any mods, also include a list of those enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx from your profile folder.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder' (and similarly in OSX/Finder).

PS4 saves can be sent, as well, but they would need to be transferred to a USB flash drive first.
In the Saved Data in System Storage section of the Settings menu, click Copy to USB Storage Device, select the relevant save(s) and Copy. From there you can zip the files, then copy to email or upload somewhere and provide a link.
3 673 Read More
Yesterday at 02:52 AM
I second this!!
1 64 Read More
17/06/19 11:29 PM
Everything seems to be fine now, just saving more often and being more careful. Thank you for all of the help!
4 72 Read More
About this website
17/06/19 06:41 PM
Thank you.
2 35 Read More
Troubleshooting
17/06/19 12:49 AM
Windows 10 1903
32GB 3200MHz
2080Ti

Event Viewer

First Error: .NET RUNTIME

Application: DivinityEngine2.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at <Module>.ls.Visual.AddMaterial(ls.Visual*, ls.MaterialResource*)
at LSFrameworkPlugin.PreviewPanel..ctor()
at LSFrameworkPlugin.PreviewPanelBasic..ctor()
at EoCPlugin.EoCPluginClass.Start()
at LSToolFramework.PluginService.Start()
at LSToolFramework.ServiceManager.StartServices()
at Glasses.GlassesApp.InitServices()
at Glasses.GlassesApp.Init(Glasses.SplashScreen)
at <Module>.main(System.String[])

Second Error: Application Error

Faulting application name: DivinityEngine2.exe, version: 3.6.36.9617, time stamp: 0x5c6d9847
Faulting module name: GameEngine.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c6d96ab
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000085234
Faulting process id: 0x47f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d524a556d72ada
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Divinity Engine 2\DefEd\DivinityEngine2.exe
Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Divinity Engine 2\DefEd\GameEngine.dll
Report Id: 47f43fcc-8f74-496f-b1ea-5d49534cf83f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It fails to launch with no crash message, it gets to starting services before the launcher closes.

It was working before on 1809, This has been the only problem I've had after updating to 1903. I've gotten a similar .net error before on 1809, but with a different program and Uninstalling, restarting and re-installing had fixed it for that one but not for the Divinity Engine
0 28 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5