Larian Studios
Posted By: Lynn New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/04/08 03:00 PM
You can choose your style sheet?
This is how:
-Go to "My stuff"
-Click "My preferences"
-Under "Your preferred style sheet” you can make your choice
-You can choose among 4 different ones (including the one from the old boards)

You can update your mood
At the top of the forum, to the far right, you left click one time on the smiley. A window pops up. Now you can change your mood. If you are offline, a grayed-out smiley is shown.

You can choose which forums to show.
In the main forum list, to the far right of each forum section title is a small icon (+ or -) which you can click to minimize or maximize that section.

At this moment there’s a problem with older PM’s

We have received the following reply from the support department at UBB threads:
When importing from UBB.Classic / UBB.threads you'll likely notice that a lot of Private Messages that you've deleted in the past have "magically" appeared out of "nowhere"... There is a very logical reason behind this behavior.

When you send a Private Message (in UBB.Classic / UBB.threads), there are two participants, when one participant deletes the topic, it still remains for the other.

When creating the importer for UBB.Classic / UBB.threads a decision had to be made based on the best logical way to import data, especially since some users would not certain PM's in their inbox because they removed them, and the logic of how to do so in a server friendly manner was near impossible, so it came down to either import everything that is current in the PM system, or import nothing.

Not all PM's will re-appear, only those which exist in the inbox of either (or both) participants, and both participants (regardless of if they deleted the PM or not) will receive the message back in their inbox.

SOLUTION: Reply from the support department at UBB Threads: They're pm's that weren't completely deleted - just delete them now and you'll be fine

Sorry guys, there's nothing more we can do.

At this moment there’s a problem with “Who’s online”
The names of the members being online isn't always accurate. We have contacted support at UBB threads. Keep you posted.

The class system (dragons, undead,…) is not up to date yet. We'll have a look at the classes and alignments (no promises but we'll try).

We still have a FAQ which contains replies to some of your questions grin
Click me

More updates/news will follow.

If you have stumbled upon something new, just post it here.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/04/08 04:30 PM
The class system is back!

If rat didn't break anything, the part about selecting a class and having a title that goes up with your post count, should work again.

How to change your class:

-at the top of the forum, click "my stuff"
-then select "my profile"
-scroll down and look for "class"
-select your class
-scroll down and press "submit"

(The part about Angel/Prophet isn't working yet.. and the old Good/Evil/Neutral thing isn't working either. Partly because we seem to have misplaced the little graphics for it smirk )

More info about the classes and the post count can be found here

Please do not create useless posts (=spam) just to raise your postcount...
Excellent! I am now a Battlemage again! Thanks Lynn! (And thanks to rat, too :))
Posted By: Ubereil Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/04/08 07:34 PM
Meh, who changed my status? I was going to go for the default (addict or veteran or whatever it is) this time around! mad I don't want to be a warlord! mad

Übereil
Then change it back, Ube! smile
Posted By: Ubereil Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/04/08 08:29 PM
Once you've switched from the default you can't switch back, that's why I didn't want to switch. Because it's way more unique and exlusive not to have switched status at all than to be a dragon or warlord or whatever.

Übereil
Ube...

Go click on that little cross that just appeared next to 'My Stuff'. It seems to still have the default blanks loaded... You may be able to get around it that way...
YES!!!!! I'm a Dragon again! Here's 2 thumbs up for Larian (one per head) up up

P.S I love the little +'s and -'s, plus the flags and markers, makes me feel more like the game
that I consider one of the greatest RPG's of all time, many thanks! wink
Posted By: Ubereil Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 08:14 AM
The thing is, Elliot, that I haven't changed my status, and my status is set to nothing. Despite that, I'm displayed as a warrior.

Übereil
Relax Ube, take a sip of water, go to "my profile" and choose your class. wink
Posted By: rat Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 09:45 AM
There is no default anymore. Or actually, by default you're a human with no special nothing. Which is a warrior :p The "really default" titles are just a little bit too... "meh".
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ubereil
Once you've switched from the default you can't switch back, that's why I didn't want to switch. Because it's way more unique and exlusive not to have switched status at all than to be a dragon or warlord or whatever.

Übereil

If you want, we can ditch the entire class system again, and change back to the "meh" titles, but then that counts for everyone devil
Originally Posted by lynn

Übereil

If you want, we can ditch the entire class system again, and change back to the "meh" titles, but then that counts for everyone devil

Yeah, and when the classes disappear we'll know who to clobber... devil

Übereil

!!! I kinda like being a Battlemage, thanks! At least until I hit Archmage, which could well happen one day! laugh

Someone sit on Ube! laugh
@everyone from Larian: The new books are quite nice, but the "light" one, should be even lighter, imho. It doesn't "catch the eye" in my case.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 11:50 AM
The images have been adapted a little. Let me know if it's better or not.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 11:54 AM
The alignment system is back!

thankyou rat!

How to choose your alignment (good, neutral, evil):

-at the top of the forum, click "my stuff"
-then select "my profile"
-scroll down and look for "alignment"
-select your alignment (good, neutral, evil)
-scroll down and press "submit"

The name tags for helpers and people with fan sites is back too!

More info about the classes and the post count can be found here

Please do not create useless posts (=spam) just to raise your post count...
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 12:33 PM

I'm actually with Übereil on this one. I had never selected a forum class or alignment, and I dislike being a neutral Warlord.

Which leads me to another problem: I had once sent a PM to Lynn suggesting a Rogue forum class (or Survivor, the one I would have chosen for this forum). As I didn't get a reply, I had always kept this PM, intending to post it when the time seemed right or to send it again. I'm 100% sure I have not deleted it. Unfortunately, it's gone now. It seems the software update didn't just lead to deleted PMs popping up again, it also caused PMs to vanish.

If I can't be a Rogue or Survivor, I'd rather go for the "meh class", veteran, and no alignment at all.
Posted By: rat Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 12:38 PM
We're open to suggestions, just write what you think would make a good class (including the names for the post counts) and then people can comment on that. The biggest work is done (changing the software to support the idea), adding or tweaking a class or two is painless.
Posted By: Ubereil Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 02:14 PM

*Cough* I'm fine with that. grin Then again, it would make it less unique to be a veteran if everyone with 1500+ posts was a veteran too...

Oh well.

BTW sidescrolls on long quotes suck. Sidescroll in general suck.

Übereil
Posted By: rat Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 02:30 PM
BTW sidescrolls on long quotes suck. Sidescroll in general suck.

True.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 08/04/08 02:51 PM
At this moment there’s a problem with “Who’s online”
The names of the members being online isn't always accurate. We have contacted support at UBB threads. Keep you posted.

The one that shows on the main forum is cached; as in it won't always update on every reload. The other (full page) is not cached, and will always display things "live". That's the info I have received from support.

If you click "details" at the bottom of the page (in the section who's online) then you'll get an accurate view on who is online at that moment.
Originally Posted by Lurker
If I can't be a Rogue or Survivor, I'd rather go for the "meh class", veteran, and no alignment at all.

Sheep ? grin

Anyway, I personally like this Rogue class thing. smile

About the books: It is a bit better now, thanks. smile
Yay! cheer cheer cheer Thanks for alignments, and I agree with Ube, sidescrolls on long quotes
aren't fun... sad
Yay! Thanks for the new smileys! welcome hahaha rpg001 rpg002 rpg003 rpg005 rpg006 rpg007 rpg008
rpg007 Avaunt thee! laugh

rpg005 Love these! rpg008

thankyou
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 09/04/08 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by rat
We're open to suggestions, just write what you think would make a good class (including the names for the post counts) and then people can comment on that. The biggest work is done (changing the software to support the idea), adding or tweaking a class or two is painless.

Here are my suggestions for a Rogue class (or Survivor class, if you prefer):

10 - Street Urchin or Gang Member or Goon
100 - Swindler or Thug or Smuggler
450 - Brigand Captain or Outlaw
900 - Master Thief or Desperado
1500 - Assassin or Crime Lord or Felon

If you prefer to use the Mage/Warrior scheme, i.e. there are only 4 steps, one of the above can simply be left out, of course.
Lurker, I'd include the title "Rogue" as well.

Apart from that, it doesn't sound bad. I admittedly don't like some of the titles, but I rather like others instead, so the balance is kept. wink

If it was in German language, I'd add the "Streuner" as well. wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 14/04/08 01:12 PM
well new smilies birthdaypie
Thanks! up up BTW The "who's online?" and the "Happy Birthday!" tabs don't update, according to the "who's online?" Alix and Buad have been online for about 96 hours now! And it's been Bigclaw6's birthday for about 4 days now!
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 18/04/08 07:58 AM
Yes, we are aware of this.

The one that shows on the main forum is cached; as in it won't always update on every reload. The other (full page) is not cached, and will always display things "live".

That's the info I have received from support at UBBThreads concerning "Who's online". But same goes for the birthdays at the bottom of the page. Very annoying if you ask me, but apparently they can't solve this... think

Poor bigclaw6 will get old pretty fast... smirk
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 22/04/08 10:22 AM
I couldn't resist to this one AT ALL! groovy

Thanks ForkTong!
I'm kinda weird that way. [Linked Image]
I HATE these bananas, but I LOVE the sheep ! wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 22/04/08 02:05 PM
rpg005
groovy groovy groovy groovy groovy

Shouldn't these remind you of Venom's signature Alrik? wink
Posted By: Morbo Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 22/04/08 06:07 PM
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!
Poor bigclaw6 will get old pretty fast... smirk

lynn, no I could celebrate many days my birthday. biggrin
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 22/04/08 08:20 PM
That's what we call positive thinking cheer
Originally Posted by twoheadedragon

Yes, they do. wink
I like alot of it, but not the thing on the left side that shows new posts. It seems like there is barely a difference to me =/
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 23/04/08 08:07 AM
Lews, you are right, depends from monitor to monitor (at my side) but the images are hardly different. I'll see what I can do to make them brighter.
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

Yes, they do. wink

Then why do you hate them? You don't like Venom's signature? wink
I hate them!! AND Venom's signature! laugh

The blasted bananas always annoy me. At least the walking bananas aren't indecent, though...

Yes, they do. wink

Then why do you hate them? You don't like Venom's signature? wink

I just hate the look. And the dance. It looks just unbelievable ugly to me.
Lews, you are right, depends from monitor to monitor (at my side) but the images are hardly different. I'll see what I can do to make them brighter.

Thanks =)
Oh, come on Alrik and Elliot, where's your sense of fun? grin Anyways, I'm off to eat a bunch of bananas... wink
Personally, i like to eat bananas vvery much. wink

That's not the problem. wink

The problem ist the way these "icons" look like. wink

I just find them unbelievable ugly.
Are they not mostly the same as we had before? Just a few new ones to... spice things up.

rpg003
Originally Posted by LewsTherinKinslayer13
Are they not mostly the same as we had before? Just a few new ones to... spice things up.

rpg003

Alrik is referring to these ones Lews: groovy groovy groovy groovy groovy (do they remind you of Venom's "Shanabanas?") grin
I like the dancing bananas. groovy
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 28/04/08 09:25 AM
Me too! meh
Posted By: Morbo Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 02/05/08 12:39 PM
I like them too. But dancing badgers are better.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][img]http://users.pandora.be/morb/smilesbadgerjo8.gif[/img]

[img]http://users.pandora.be/morb/smurf_Mushroom.gif[/img][img]http://users.pandora.be/morb/smurf_Mushroom.gif[/img]

Originally Posted By: UbereilOnce you've switched from the default you can't switch back, that's why I didn't want to switch. Because it's way more unique and exlusive not to have switched status at all than to be a dragon or warlord or whatever.

Übereil

If you want, we can ditch the entire class system again, and change back to the "meh" titles, but then that counts for everyone

Hey! No way smile
When I grow up I wanna be an Ancient Dragon. Think of all the money I'll save on airplane flights, cigrette lighters, and matches for the campfire. Plus, don't all dragons have a hoard of treasure? I could sure use one of them next time Micro-soft comes up with Vista II and *ucks up my whole machine. Then tells me I have to buy $800 in new parts.
Just think of what fire breath could do next time some idiot cuts me off in traffic then wants to make an issue of it? grin
I'd just call my Unicorn to let me ride through the travel with it. wink
Originally Posted by Morbo

Snake?
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/05/08 04:29 PM
jawdrop a new one, grabbed it from HellFighter in the German forum.
Question : Why did it take so long with the servers ?

Were there data issues ?

Or was this just an overhaul ?
Posted By: rat Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 03/07/08 11:42 AM
The biggest problem was the difference in timezone between Belgium and the US. Everytime something wasn't clear or was misunderstood or needed more info, the whole process was stuck again for another day. Theoretically these companies have 24 hour support, but in reality the midnight shift is usually staffed by people who can't do much other than take notes for when "the real guys" wake up and come in.

Unfortunately we're still not done, there's another server we need to roll over somewhere tonight so hopefully everything holds together 8|
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 03/07/08 11:51 AM
And I got 2 grey hairs because of the server anomalies rpg001
Uh, that sounds really bad. frown

At least there's a part done now. smile
Good luck sorting it soon! Been down half a week already...

It's good to be up and running again, so let's hope it lasts! smile
Posted By: rat Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 07/07/08 10:11 AM
Alright, the final bit was transferred (unfortunately again with some hickups) and now it's just waiting for the Really Scary Part -- unplugging the old machines and hoping that the new ones take over properly...
Good luck ! smile
Originally Posted by rat
unplugging the old machines and hoping that the new ones take over properly...

Well, if they don't take over properly, you can always take advice from Trouble Down Pit...

[Linked Image]
ROFL! That's great, HEF! laugh
Posted By: Khamul Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 14/07/08 04:24 PM
Is there any way to remove topics from your watched topics list?

*EDIT: Oh God I'm dumb. Nevermind, found it already ouch
The new Divinity2 theme looks really nice.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 11:12 AM
Thank you Xan!

This theme is now set as the default one, but you can always go back to the previous stylesheets.
But... who wants to do that?!... well

Happy we can finally show you goodies! cheer
Awesome new look to the forum!

No way in heck I'd want to go back, Lynn, I assure you! smile
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 01:06 PM
Goooooood decision! laugh

Checkout the following header at the larian homepage
Expect more soon!
"Awesome" is the word all right! up Also love the new look at the main site (larian.com).

Looks great, Lynn! I love that dragon, I have to say! There's something so lethal-looking about it. Has the same eyes as the guy, too... And is it me, or is that armour suspiciously scale-like?

Some great art, there! smile
How much work would you have Lynn, to restyle the main website's CSS like this forum is now?

The white/gold on black theme instead of black/blue on white?

I like the feel of this theme, would look wicked on the main page.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 01:56 PM
Arrhg! Don't make me change that please! rpg008

Because the main website are the Larian pages and the forum is mainly dedicated to our new game.

welcome
Posted By: Myrthos Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 02:29 PM
If it wasn't for his scale armor, I would have taken him for a fremen or even Muad'Dib. There must be plenty of spice where he is coming from smile
It's not just Fremen that have glowy eyes like that... laugh

They are kinda famous for it, though, must be said... laugh
if he's a dragon he should have normal eyes, but he should breathe out smoke and cover it holding a pipe or cigarette :p.

And no you don't "have" to change the main site.
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Draghermosran
And no you don't "have" to change the main site.

Ok, thanks! delight
Originally Posted by Myrthos
If it wasn't for his scale armor, I would have taken him for a fremen or even Muad'Dib. There must be plenty of spice where he is coming from smile

The German magazine PC Games speaks of silver eyes ... Whatever this means ...
Posted By: Macbeth Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 06/08/08 06:49 PM
The German magazine PC Games speaks of silver eyes ... Whatever this means ...

Oh, the mystery! rpg006
Hey Mac, man!

You´re a true&born `chatterbox´, did yoou know that? wink
grin

Ragon
The Gamestar article I think it was speaks now of "ghost eyes".
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 16/10/08 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lurker
Originally Posted by rat

Here are my suggestions for a Rogue class (or Survivor class, if you prefer):

10 - Street Urchin or Gang Member or Goon
100 - Swindler or Thug or Smuggler
450 - Brigand Captain or Outlaw
900 - Master Thief or Desperado
1500 - Assassin or Crime Lord or Felon

If you prefer to use the Mage/Warrior scheme, i.e. there are only 4 steps, one of the above can simply be left out, of course.

I've posted this in April - sadly, no Larian member has responded, and nothing was added or changed in the meantime. Well, you don't have to add it if you don't like it or have too many other things to do, but some comment would have been nice ...

Since my old avatar image somehow went missing, I wanted to look for it, but unfortunately the new forum doesn't display the avatar link anymore (could this please be enabled again?), and I didn't remember from which page I had taken it. So I went looking for new avatar images and found beautiful ones on this page. Alas, they are too big for this forum, and if you choose one, the forum software apparently just shrinks it to 80 x 80 pixels, which makes it look unnatural and ugly.

Aren't those limitations a little out of date, with people using DSL and widescreen monitors?

And why does the new forum automatically assign a forum class and an alignment? In the old forum, I could simply be a "veteran" as long as none of the available forum classes appealed to me ...
Posted By: Raze Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 16/10/08 08:16 PM

In your profile, where the forum software allows you to remove or change your avatar, it also displays the current avatar. You can right click on this image (or in any of your posts) and select Properties in order to see/copy the link to the image (though just listing it directly in your profile would be a little easier).

There is a link to the Larian avatars in the sticky topic Choose your avatar and Forum Classes, along with links to other sources.
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 17/10/08 10:57 AM
Thanks, Raze - I know that one can find out the link as long as the image is displayed. Unfortunately, my image wasn't displayed any longer. It has happened time and again that my avatar image vanished, e.g. because the avatar page where I had taken it from was restructured. In the old forum, the link was displayed even when the image was gone, so I at least knew where I could start looking for the image. In the new forum, this currently isn't possible.

The Larian stock avatars aren't bad (and one can't lose them, I know), but they look quite old-fashioned compared to the ones on the page I have linked above. Most of them have been taken from div, I guess ... I wouldn't mind having some nice rogue avatar from div2, though wink

Unfortunately, half of the links in "Choose your avatar and Forum Classes" don't lead to avatar pages anymore: The first one links to a forum now, the second one's server isn't available anymore.

Switching to the new forum would have been a good opportunity for allowing larger avatars than 80 x 80 pixels. When I went looking for a new avatar image, I noticed that most pages don't even offer avatars that are so small ...

I do understand that there was a 80 x 80 pixels limit some years ago when people still used 56k modems and the loading times for larger avatars were annoying. But on a 22' monitor with 1680 x 1050 pixels resolution (which isn't that extravagant), those small avatars look rather, uhm, unimpressive wink

And to be honest, I can't understand the logic in limiting avatars to 80 x 80 pixels when at the same time, people are allowed to use signature images that are much, much larger.
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 18/11/08 03:51 PM
It's a good thing to have a time filter in the forum search, but why is it set to "Newer than 1 week" by default? I guess the search function is most often used by people looking for advice in the help forums, and using a broader time range would drastically increase the chance of getting helpful results there. You can of course manually set it to "Newer than 3 years", but that requires a few clicks which wouldn't be necessary with a broader default range, and some people (especially those new to the forum) will probably not notice the time filter at all ...

If you want to check whether a question has already been asked in the forum, you need to do 2 searches, one with "Newer than 3 years" and one with "Older than 3 years". Why isn't there an option to search all posts in one go? Do searches with broad search criteria significantly slow down the forum for other members?

Oh, and if you're reading this: No Larian member has yet commented on the suggestions of a Rogue forum class and of allowing larger avatars in the posts above wink wave
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 18/11/08 05:01 PM
Hi Lurker,

rat is very busy with coding, luckily smile but sooner or later he'll look into adding a class here and there. Please have some patience, I myself don't dare asking him at the moment wink

Concerning your question for a time filter when searching the boards: Large ranges can lock the forums until the search is complete. We can't change this, it's part of the forum software. I'd rather keep it like this.

Since I didn't bring you any positive news so far: I'll look into allowing bigger avatars wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 18/11/08 05:09 PM
Just one more question: What do you suggest for the maximum size of an avatar?

E.g. If the maximum width and height are 100x100 and someone uses an avatar of say 50x60 I hope it won't distort it to 100x100 because that looks bad.

But maybe that's not the case at all... Just give me an estimate of the size you'd prefer and I'll check it out.
100X100 pixels seems standard. I know in some forums the user can manually set the display size of the avatar to avoid distorting the picture.
Posted By: Lurker Re: New forum software: Did you know that... - 19/11/08 01:35 AM
Thanks for your replies, lynn smile

I wouldn't want the forum to be locked just because people do broad range searches too often, so maybe it's better to keep it the way it is. I just thought that people who come here to find some specific piece of advice on a Larian game could more easily find it with a larger default time filter. Well, as long as Raze is here, it's of course easy enough to get advice by simply posting questions in the forum wink

I agree with flixerflax that 100 x 100 pixels seem standard. Some forums do allow 120 x 120 pixels, though, which enables members to use an even broader range of avatars - I've often seen 115 x 100 pixels avatars, and even those wouldn't be distorted. I've just checked with a 80 x 60 pixels avatar (similar to the one flixerflax is using), and this one is not resized to 80 x 80 pixels with the current limitations, so I wouldn't expect anything like that to happen with a 100 x 100 pixels limit either smile
Posted By: Lynn Larger avatars - 19/11/08 11:07 AM
The avatars have now a max size of 120*120 and I have to admit that this looks pretty nice! up

Lurker: you apparently need to upload your avatar again, because it still says that the image is scaled down to 80*80.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Larger avatars - 20/11/08 02:01 AM
Larger avatars - yay! up

Thanks, lynn hug hug hug
Posted By: Lynn Re: Larger avatars - 20/11/08 11:55 AM
Hope more people will go for a larger avatar, it surely looks better! smile
© Larian Studios forums