Larian Studios
Posted By: Libertarian Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 17/01/12 05:43 PM
I just played the demo and fell in love! This is the new Action/RPG from 38 Studios (Curt Schilling).
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 07:59 AM
What in this game you like most?
Has this game homour? Has this game nice exploration/loot system? Alchemy/crafing system?? Enchanting??
Do you play de Xbox demo and so yes: how do the controls feels?

How is the leveling up system? Can you distribute your own stats like strength, dexterity, intelligence, vitality, etc etc ...
Is it an open skill tree?

I can't download the demo because I haven't a Gold or Silver membership on Xbox ... and I find it a little bit stupid to take Silver or Gold ONLY because of 1 demo smirk !
Posted By: Axel Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Joram
I can't download the demo because I haven't a Gold or Silver membership on Xbox ... and I find it a little bit stupid to take Silver or Gold ONLY because of 1 demo smirk !

Silver is free, it's the default membership, so you should have it. I think the demos are exclusive to Gold members for the first week, then available to Silver, so you should look into that.
Posted By: virumor Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 09:05 AM
The game looks even more cartoony than Fable/World of Warcraft and has twitchy God of War combat. Setting is generic fantasy with Salvatore behind it.

There's no jump button. Towns are lifeless. Not my cup of tea, really. All in all, it feels like a MMO.

I'll just keep playing div
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Axel

Silver is free, it's the default membership, so you should have it. I think the demos are exclusive to Gold members for the first week, then available to Silver, so you should look into that.

Many thanks ... I never noticed I've Silver oops

So I've just to "wait" for a week and then ... Attack ! biggrin
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 12:43 PM
My thoughts? It will require Origin on PC, and thus is an automatic skip, for me.
Posted By: virumor Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
My thoughts? It will require Origin on PC, and thus is an automatic skip, for me.

That's the main reason why I'm going to give Mass Effect 3 a pass. I grudgingly accepted Steam, but I really don't want another third-party client on my computer.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by virumor
The game looks even more cartoony than Fable/World of Warcraft and has twitchy God of War combat. Setting is generic fantasy with Salvatore behind it.

There's no jump button. Towns are lifeless. Not my cup of tea, really. All in all, it feels like a MMO.

I'll just keep playing div

Yes, it's got a cartoony look, which I love since more realistic graphics in RPGs usually turn out pretty bad, i.e. faces in Elder Scrolls games. I'm all for the more whimsical and charming aesthetic, which is why I fell in love with Divinity II.

You call the combat "God of War," yet I've played God of War and I can't really compare it to this. While it's more action oriented, it keeps the RPG mechanics intact while offering a fluid and seamless combat system that doesn't feel stilted and robotic like most RPGs.

Setting is generic fantasy? Yeah, just like Divinity, Torchlight, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, etc. They're all very derivative fantasy experiences in terms of how they look and feel.

"There's no jump button." There goes that "God of War" comparison out the window, eh? wink

And on the subject of towns, most RPGs may have towns with life, but they're still very lifeless. Hell, the greatest example of living and breathing worlds aren't even RPGs, but they're Rockstar games.
Posted By: virumor Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 18/01/12 08:35 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I can't speak for Torchlight since I haven't played them, but Divinity and Elder Scrolls are not derivative. Divinity is a deliberate parody of typical fantasy tropes, while Elder Scrolls has a unique background lore full of detail and ambivalence, and while I agree that Oblivion's setting was quite generic, Morrowind had a unique, atmospheric world, and Skyrim does as well (but not as much as Morrowind). Even Diablo felt pretty unique with its dark world and atmosphere.

I don't mind a cartoony look in games (I love Divinity and Drakensang, and even like Sacred and Fable) but to me, Amalur just feels... assembled and very MMO-ish.

Originally Posted by virumor
Divinity is a deliberate parody of typical fantasy tropes,

If you want more of this, then look out for the adventure game called the "Book Of Unwritten Tales", or even towards "Grotesque Tactics" 1 & 2.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 19/01/12 03:16 PM
"Book Of Unwritten Tales" ... : woow, beautiful lovely screenshots !!

Years ago my very first pc game was an adventure puzzle game (like Myst I, Riven, etc).
wink
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 21/01/12 07:47 PM
I'm loving it.
Its a mixture of several games.
And I'm sort of addicted to playing the demo, I always seem to find new loot, and quests.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 23/01/12 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
I'm loving it.
Its a mixture of several games.
And I'm sort of addicted to playing the demo, I always seem to find new loot, and quests.

Aha, someone who find Kingdoms of Amalur very good . Most comments are more negative than positive. But this week I gonna try he demo myself wink

IT looks fun although I'm still trying to finish the demo as we speak. which is going slow due to only being able to sun on one wireless connection... and thats an android app ugh...

I'm kind of excited though, I like how it looks in the trailers and such.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 25/01/12 08:59 AM
Yesterday I take a short look into the Demo and so far I must say I find it a sweet game, full of pleasure to play ...

But hey ?! Can't save my status(make a save game) in the demo question
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 27/01/12 02:31 PM
I've played de full demo and I believe this rpg is a nice one with lovely nice & sweet looking graphics. Their are a few minor things, but I can live with it.
It looks more fun to play than Skyrim ... I better not bought that game hahaha ...
Posted By: Arokh Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 28/01/12 04:23 PM
I have a PS3 and decent gaming PC so I'm going to download the demo on both platforms and see which I like best. Downloading PS3 demo now. Story is by RA Salvatore - I read a couple of his books which were not bad so it looks like a promising story based RPG. Ill give the demo a shot over the next week and see what I think.
Posted By: virumor Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 05/02/12 06:55 PM
You know... I wonder how big the budget was for this game.
Posted By: Arokh Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 05/02/12 09:14 PM
I can't get the demo to work... PC version graphics are messed up. PS3 download is taking forever. Will probably get the PS3 version anyway. As for the budget, I hadn't heard of it until it was mentioned on this forum so maybe their advertising budget was a bit limited.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 07/02/12 10:27 AM
After all, I still doubt to buy this rpg !

After all, I'm back playing DKS only !
While other Xbox games are staring at me hahaha

Posted By: Libertarian Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 08/02/12 11:31 PM
UPS dropped this off today! Awesome game so far!
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 09/02/12 08:16 PM
I need to pick this up soon as.
UK Release tomorrow.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 24/02/12 09:30 AM
I read on another forum if you kill or do something other dirty trick people of a village become hostile and you can't do quests in that village ... nice to read ... remember me of Divine Divinity !

Only wondering if you can make them back (more) friendly in some way or not ? wink

I haven't bought this game, but I have the feeling this game is maybe more fun for me than many other RPG's like Skyrim, Risen, The Witcher, etc ... only the Divinity games are for ones and always my favorite RPG's number 1 !! smile

Posted By: Arokh Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 25/02/12 03:39 PM
Played the demo on the PS3, liking it from what I have seen of the time limited first area. Huge game world to explore and plenty of quests to do. Yes it is true that it is possible to make people hate you and loose quests which is nice.

Bad points is it is buggy; got a lot of graphical problems such as textures incorrect or whole areas black with just odd structures around. Going in / out of houses etc fixed it for a while. Hope the full version does not do this. This was on the PS3. On the PC it runs but you can't see anything apart from tne menu and certain environmental objects repeating as you move.

Seems to be a common issue kinda looks like this:-
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2013/reckoning3.png

I don't know to buy the PS3 or PC version or not at all, might wait a while and see. The grphical glitches would make it unplayable for me. Googling the subject seems the full version has problems too.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 26/02/12 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Arokh
Played the demo on the PS3, liking it from what I have seen of the time limited first area. Huge game world to explore and plenty of quests to do. Yes it is true that it is possible to make people hate you and loose quests which is nice.

Bad points is it is buggy; got a lot of graphical problems such as textures incorrect or whole areas black with just odd structures around. Going in / out of houses etc fixed it for a while. Hope the full version does not do this. This was on the PS3. On the PC it runs but you can't see anything apart from tne menu and certain environmental objects repeating as you move.

Seems to be a common issue kinda looks like this:-
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2013/reckoning3.png

I don't know to buy the PS3 or PC version or not at all, might wait a while and see. The grphical glitches would make it unplayable for me. Googling the subject seems the full version has problems too.

Those issues are not present in the final build...
DEMO build was over 3 Months Old, reviews have reinforced this.
So you'll be say to buy either, I've not run into any bugs tbh.
Posted By: Arokh Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 26/02/12 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Ill probably be going for the PS3 version.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 27/02/12 07:55 AM
IF I buy Amaular I go for the Xbox version.

But I still doubt to buy it, I don't know why ...

Maybe because of "time" ?
And as long as I've fun with DKS, why should I buy & play other rpg's ?
I've only 2 hands & two eyes :hihi:
I read that the demo was forked from the main game and additional programmers just made it runable.
Posted By: Arokh Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 27/02/12 07:14 PM
This is what is putting me off buying the PC version. If I get the game will it run on my hardware? At least if I get the PS3 version I know it will work.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 28/02/12 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Arokh
This is what is putting me off buying the PC version. If I get the game will it run on my hardware? At least if I get the PS3 version I know it will work.

And for me the same wink ... but for X360 .
Posted By: Lictor Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 29/02/12 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane

Same as for me . I hate Steam or Origin or other activation procedures because I haven't a connection in my home computer smirk
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 29/02/12 03:07 PM
I read on another forum :
this game has NO manual within it's box (on paper) frown how "poor" ,

but a ingame manual ... pfff ....
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 29/02/12 07:41 PM
I read on another forum :
this game has NO manual within it's box (on paper) frown how "poor" ,

but a ingame manual ... pfff ....

Welcome to the lame future. I bought a Vita and there's nothing except the game cart in the cases. frown
I'm not surprised. No handbook = no financial losses.
Posted By: Joram Re: Your thoughts on Kingdoms of Amalur? - 01/03/12 12:51 PM
Yeah, they can have more money for themself ....
"They can spend the money on drink & girls :hihi: ... but that's just a suggestion" *

signed , Champion Richard from Aleroth .
wink

© Larian Studios forums