Larian Studios
Posted By: Pagimi Overview or 3D? - 10/03/17 11:40 AM
Good day to all,

I had bought the game set containing Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and the Developers Cut. I had some experience with games like Icewind Dale etc and like those very much, but felt there was some thing missing. Then when I started playing Divine Divinity I totally fell in love and got hooked! The freedom you get while playing and choosing your own outcome per task is awesome! Now i'm playing Beyond Divinity and had to get used to the different menu bar but all is working out very well.

I'm already looking forward to playing more games from Larian but i'm having a little doubt if that would be possible because while I was looking at the details of the editors cut i started noticing that the game is more 3D and that the screen not an overview anymore, am I right? Is the "camera" attatched to the character? For me that will be a big problem because I have got a severe case of motion sickness and even one minute of watching a character move around will make me very ill :-(

Is there any way that I can change those settings from 3D to overview? And will all future games will be like that?

Lots of Love
Pagimi
Posted By: vometia Re: Overview or 3D? - 11/03/17 12:32 PM
Which game are you referring to specifically? I assume by "Developers' Cut" you mean Ego Draconis (or Divinity II or Dragon Knight Saga etc) which is the odd one out in that it's a third-person game where the camera does always follow the character and is pretty much fixed: the vertical angle can be changed and you can rotate the camera around when standing still but that's your lot, there's no "tactical mode" or anything like that, I'm afraid. I'm another sufferer of motion sickness and often get it really badly, but D2 was one of the least bad games I played for that.

It is a one-off, though: of the more recent offerings, both Original Sin games are isometric points of view and the camera can either follow your character or not, easily switchable by homing in and then just moving it about. They're much like the original Divine Divinity just with hugely updated graphics and a rotatable viewpoint if you want it. I understand that future games will probably use the same engine.
Posted By: Raze Re: Overview or 3D? - 12/03/17 03:01 AM

The camera is centred on the character, but doesn't turn with the character's movement; turning the camera adjusts which direction is forward.
The camera position and angle are linked along a curve, you can move the camera back to an almost isometric view, forward so it is behind the character or past the character looking up (occasionally useful when exploring or looting).
© Larian Studios forums