Larian Studios

Beyond Divinity demo released!

Posted By: Lynn

Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:45 AM

We are very happy to announce that today the demo of Beyond Divinity is publicly available. Containing the beginning of the first act of Beyond Divinity, the demo presents a golden opportunity to taste some of Beyond Divinity's gameplay before the game is released. The demo is available in German and in English. To get it, click here.

Let us know your thoughts and have fun playing the demo!
Posted By: cloudia

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:48 AM

thanks, Lynn !

Posted By: Hunter

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:55 AM

Lynn, Du bist ein schatteken!!!

Downloading at 25 K a sec... Let's hope the speed stays on this level...

drool...drool...
Posted By: Xaerez

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:59 AM

Woot downloading at +/- 140Kb/sec

I'm really hoping that this demo will be kicking asses!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:00 AM

My download aleardy completed!
Time to play~
Posted By: AgentJ

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:01 AM

280 kb/s... yahoo!

33% done, 6 mins to go.

And ya, thanks for releasing it an hour early.

(Took about... 11 mins to download... )
Posted By: janggut

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:05 AM

larians are keeping things within schedule. i've informed some dormant forum members about the news & hopefully they may come back online here with us.
Posted By: the_bean

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:05 AM

heheh. it's time
too bad i have only time to download it...
i have to go to work in a half houre
But after that ->
Posted By: Nemisis_Dragon

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:14 AM

While waiting for one single german download mirror (german demo), I already started downloading the english demo from Worthplaying with max. speed
Posted By: Merendrious

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:29 AM

Just started downloading, it's now at 11% downloading at a speed of 201kb/s and 13 minuts to go
Posted By: Viper

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:35 AM

I think I'll DL it tomorrow when the "heat" is a bit off
Posted By: LewsTherinKinslayer13

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:36 AM

just finished!

I started around 15 mins ago, with DSL.

It goes REALLY fast thanx Larian!
Posted By: the_mighty_stamar

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:39 AM

Yay!!!!!

30 minutes to go!!!!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:40 AM

and it took only around 1 min 30 secs to install!!!

good bye, (ps, Larian, sound files really slowed down the installing the most )
Posted By: Gurthamoth

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:08 PM

Great ! Download in process
Posted By: t20

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:14 PM

We've mirrored the demo here: http://www.fragland.net/index.php?page=downloads&did=1260

If you'd like us to mirror the german demo as well, we'll gladly do so.

have a nice day.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:15 PM

wahoo! more places to do it now!
Posted By: Yannos

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:19 PM

Oh Damnit, why doesn't it work :'(
I get an error after using the Config tool :/
Posted By: kabuti

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:22 PM

i think i've taken a slow mirror......daaarn....

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:23 PM

the game?!

it works great for me!

BTW, does health regenerate? seems to.

And how the [nocando] do I kill Fugus??/

hes freaky, with his, Pets.
He deserves to get an arrow or a sword through him, but he healed himself at the last minute, then before a drunk my restoration potion, DWAPT, my DK is dead!
Posted By: GroundZero74

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:28 PM

My Report :
Downloaded (12h15 Done)
Installed (12h16 Done)
Played & finished the DEMO just now (13:15 ) . . .

It's a pretty short demo , more a sneak preview-demo than a full DEMO , but looking great , liked the opening music from DD better though ...

BTW , The Death Knight has a Darth Vader voice going on , and one of the prisoners talks trough a vocoder/robot .

Final message , in the Arena :
"Congratulations, you have reached the end of the demo.
Press OK to go back to the main menu"

(FYI there is no OK button , only a v ...)

Posted By: Myrthos

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:31 PM

Did you do all three quests? And there should be a way to access the battlefields to.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:38 PM

hmm. i just killed furgeness? were is that??

I NEED food TO REST? lol! <-from laughtor

great game. very nice darth vader voice. and the Plox imps voice. 'no master'.

lol. see you guys later, i need my sleep now!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:39 PM

I'm running trough the dungeon again , to see if i missed sth , did not find the BattleFields . . . i'm looking around like a madman righ now !

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 12:42 PM

hmm, ill search after sleep. but im perlexed by Myrthos's respond of another quest! hmm.

oh well. ill search later for all.
great game though!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:16 PM

I can't find them BattleFields , 3 quests are finished :
- Thirsty Prisoner
- A Digging Ghost (Edmond)
- Escape from Samuel's Prison (done when you finish the demo)

There's nothing else i can do , talked to the "floating" Skull , and Blocked the cogwheel in the Arena , nothing . . . is there someone from Larian that confirm that the BattleFields are in the DEMO ?

thanks,

Posted By: Lar

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:26 PM

They're not - in the full version, there's a relatively well hidden item that gives you premature access to the battlefields, but since the battlefields are not part of the demo, we removed that.

Lar
Posted By: socrates

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:28 PM

hmmm I hate to say this but...

im not too pleased with the demo.

1.) The voice actors are not very well done. They all sound like there reading it off a book in front of a class. They dont seem to have any emotion or feeling to them. As if im talking to robots or somthing. A demon knight is suppost to be of pure evil. He dosnt sound that way he sounds like a human being with a male voice like darth vader.

2.) In combat the attack is way to slow. Also the character continually runs there is no walk button. The stamina bar also goes down very fast. 8 times as fast as it did in divine divinity. There is no potion icon at the bottom left so i can drink health potions.

Conclusion:

The music, the level layout, creatures, models, and everything else seem to be fine. I also like it that you need food to sleep and all that very cool, but Just everything else like voice actors, and combat system seem very very bad.

I know this is just a demo so i know it isnt the finnished product but if this is like anything like the full version i can say that i probably wont buy it. I shouldnt need hotkeys to drink potions... just not worth my time

sorry guys

cheers

-$ocrates

EDIT: There was a voice actor for one of the Evil Knights in devine divinity. I thought that was very well done. perhaps using the same voice actors from divine divinity would help. A good example of a evil character that had the true meaning of evil was Jon Irenicus of baldurs gate 2. Whoever did the voice actor for jon irenicus had to be the best ever. You need to have emotion even more in your evil characters. They need to be chaotic and unpredictable with more anger. Good voice actors are very important because they bring the player into the world.
Posted By: DEATHATTHEDOOR

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:39 PM

Hmm, Socrates, maybe you can bind some keyboard buttons for potions?
You sure you cannot walk? Shift, Alt, CTRL...

Attacks are slow? You played Baldur's Gate 1? Takes minutes untill you bash a kobold.
Well, we'll see. I shouldn't even say what I said above untill I played the demo.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:40 PM

doesn't the R key toggle between running and walking?
Posted By: Yann

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:40 PM

Quote:

There is no potion icon at the bottom left so i can drink health potions.

click on the potion icon near your character pic

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:42 PM

You can walk if u toggle off "always running", the standard key for it is "R"

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:48 PM

hmm..the voice tone of Death Knight sounds a bit light considering his dark apperance.
Posted By: NeroJB

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 01:57 PM

mmmmm downloading.....

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:05 PM

Quote:

hmmm I hate to say this but...

im not too pleased with the demo.

1.) The voice actors are not very well done. They all sound like there reading it off a book in front of a class. They dont seem to have any emotion or feeling to them. As if im talking to robots or somthing. A demon knight is suppost to be of pure evil. He dosnt sound that way he sounds like a human being with a male voice like darth vader.

2.) In combat the attack is way to slow. Also the character continually runs there is no walk button. The stamina bar also goes down very fast. 8 times as fast as it did in divine divinity. There is no potion icon at the bottom left so i can drink health potions.

1: I have to agree , the voice acting done in Divine Divinity was better . I think the reason may be that everything is spoken now and only a small percentage of Divine Divinity .
This might cut back on the ability to take the time to explain how the intonation and speed of the voice should be to the actors, because of the bulk of text to be done . . . but still . . .
Also it seems that not all the voices are on an equal level (not normalized ?) or of the same recording quality (talking skull's voice is distorted) , they also seem really DRY (except the Death Knight) , no Reverb effect or something to attenuate this is a dungeon . . .

2: The Combat is OK , not great , although i would like the EXP / HIT / MISS to show a little longer or , even better , have a hideable text bar in the bottom of the screen that keeps a short history of what was HIT/MISS and how much EXP you got for a killing a char or solving a quest (like in Neverwinter Nights , not the one from Baldur's Gate II , that was too bulky ) That would be great.
And indeed , the fighting is still faster than in the Baldur's Gate Series , although i don't get that a rat can almost kick my [nocando] !

Visuals are great , i love 2D ! You just can't get that level of detail with texture mapped 3D environments . And also the interaction with the environment is great .

BTW : About the length of the DEMO ...i wouldn't worry , i did a BETA testing session(don't know if i may say this , had to sign a voucher ) of ACT III at larain a few weeks ago , and let me assure you i played for about 8 hours , and i hadn't solved a 1/4 of my quests . . . so . . .it's BIG !

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:13 PM

Yes, I agree with a solution that shows the dmg we (the DK and myself) did! Would be cool, because I also want to see how hard I bashed the foolies

And once again, I'm really happy to hear this isn't the full act 1 and the final game acts are big longer!
Posted By: Crash

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:40 PM

Finally downloading.. But I think i chose a slow mirror.. Got a little over an hour left of the download.. Damnit.. Looking forward to be playing anyway.. Cheers

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:43 PM

uhm my download just finish.....where can i get directx 9?????
Posted By: His_Divine_Shadow

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:46 PM

I can't install yet (at work), but can anyone say if there is a setting for "EAX" sound? Someone remarked that the voices sounded a little flat - an EAX setting would change that.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:48 PM

How about Microsoft. click me

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 02:53 PM

thnx....i was getting frustrated.....

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 03:06 PM

Hi, His Divine Shadow! I don't think it's supported... Anyone else know this?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 03:19 PM

are there any blood or gore effects for characters and enemies in the demo?
or full blood or gore effects are reserved for the final version?

* Demo looks great except targetting and some voice acting(a bit dull).
Posted By: jvb

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 03:44 PM

downloading now, 325 kb sec
wont last long
Posted By: Dragonkeeper

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 03:46 PM

I like the demo! Only my computer must laod 2 often, 2 long, the same problem i had in DivDiv...I think i must set the resolution on 800/600 or 650/400...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 04:35 PM

hmmmm...i'm not much of a complainer and criticus....the game itself looks pretty nice...and the rest isn't anything i can't get used 2....i'm gonna run my music through it though...
Posted By: Rythok

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 05:31 PM

Beyond Divinity is simply awesome, IMHO. Some people say the combat is too slow and the targetting isnt so good. But keep in mind that this is the start of the game, your character doesnt really get a chance to boost his speed skill a lot, besides, the combat is a lot easier to manage when it's slower. And as for the targetting, it's just like in Divinity wich isnt a bad thing. Personnally I never had a problem with targetting in the demo, thanks to the ALT key and pause. As for the voice acting, I never expected something superb so I dont really mind.

What's good though is the new skill system, it is really awesome. You got so much more possibilities. You can very easily make a unique character with all this stuff.

If everything in the game is exactly like in the demo it's going to be one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Cheers,
Frank
Posted By: oBosch

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 05:41 PM

love the demo
love the sound
love the graphics
didn't like the voices so much
love the controls
love the innovation

over all............outstandind work larian people!!!!
two thumbs up for you all!!!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 06:00 PM

i liked the voices!!!

the darth vader voice was cool!
Posted By: spick

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 07:45 PM

156Mb, Jesus H Christ, i can't download that on my 56k modem , It'll take 'till the cows come home.
Posted By: Beef

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 07:47 PM

As I tested the game, I should say that the demo is pretty short, in a linear part of the storyline. ACT1 is much more varied than in the demo
Combat is much better than in , especially the magic system rox in later stages of the game =)

As for food for rest, works pretty good, much more believable than 'insta health' food. Might and Magic series needed food for rest and travel too, although you had to buy it.

PS. someone has been stealing my avatar! =)

Posted By: Yann

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 07:54 PM

Quote:

PS. someone has been stealing my avatar! =)

I don't think so Mr Beef
Posted By: Morbo

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:31 PM

Demo downloaded and played (to the end) and in comparison with the previous demo it is a bit short. . Now lets review:

grafics: above my expectation (Lynn you shoud realy distribute better screenshots). I must say I am very impressed with the grafics. I always heared "the grafics aren't that great" bla bla bla. But after playing the demo I must say they were much better then I had expected the screenshots don't do the game justice.

A++++++++

sound: Well what can I say krill has outdone him again. I don't like the voice acting of the dark knight I would have made him more sinister

music: A+++++++++++++++++++++++
voice acting: A- (DK voice jst doesn't do it for me. The other voice acting seems fine. it needs more "side show bob" )

game play: Well after figuring out all the buttons it plays realy nice.
A+++++

extra: Mental note when playing the demo for a hour SAVE was near the end when I got killed => a loud scream => NO SAVE GAME. Well fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. Second try saved every 3 min.
Also I must say something about the DK. He is way to friendly to his counterpart. My brother and I are more brute against each other hopefull will the DK be more evil in the final game. (like killing some one when the hero tells him not to) now I get the feeling "ooww look at the cutsy wootsy deathknight :hug: ".

A+++++

keep up the good work.

total score: As a fan I had very high hopes and it makes me glad that my hopes where surpassed in every way.

A++++++++++++

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:35 PM

I agree with you morbo, exept the DK part.

though the idea of him killing things when i say stop is good

but his voice is just fine, i dont thinbk hes suppoused to be very emotional or anything like that.

hmm, so we will eventually trabel back to revellon i hope to find isolde!!!

what about rivertown???

the whole divine divinity world again??? that would be nice. maybe its all changed. some towns are bigger, more baddies. tougher baddies. more people in towns. more peolpe fighting eacher other in the street!! *drolling over immaginary kickass game*

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:39 PM

In Antwort auf:

Also I must say something about the DK. He is way to friendly to his counterpart.

I thought exactly the same about the death knight. But it might be that he's introduced slowly to the game/plot and gets more evil later in the game. But when he smashes the rats or looks on the painting on the wall Larian wants to give him a more evil side as in the beginning. So I think that he develops more and more.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:40 PM

he smashed the rats???? i had an option, either kill or no kill. i say no kill.

exept two in the southern room with de bed.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:52 PM

I had imagined that the DK voice would be a mix between sideshow bob, hanibal lector, dark vader (because of the helmet ) and part lizzard sound.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:54 PM

In Antwort auf:

he smashed the rats???? i had an option, either kill or no kill. i say no kill...

There's one place where the death knight says something like "I really hate those rats" and starts smashing these rats. That's because of a plot related item.
In the other rooms I always have the option to attack or not attack the rats.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo releasd! - 03/03/04 08:54 PM

its the closest to darth vader.

sideshow bob?? elegant??? no. not DK.
lol.
lizzard? lol.

i think they did a find job, and surpassed my expectations (which were very high already).

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

he smashed the rats???? i had an option, either kill or no kill. i say no kill...

There's one place where the death knight says something like "I really hate those rats" and starts smashing these rats. That's because of a plot related item.
In the other rooms I always have the option to attack or not attack the rats.

weird. ive never seen that before.

these last few days ive seen the Larians online a lot more, Lynn, Marian, and Lar on the forums checking out what we say! I like it when develeopers care what we think about their demos!

edit, and Yann. sorry. your name isn't in a weird color on the whos online so i forget you work for them. my bad.
Posted By: Yannos

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:01 PM

I expected a dragon rider kinda voice for the DK (like the one that hunts you in the beginning of Divinity) but this one will do, doesn't sound that evil though, more like a normale guy in a pretty bad mood.
Posted By: Jurak

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:02 PM

downloaded the DEMO this morning......before work
(15 minutes) ADSL
now i'll have to wait for 6pm....... i hate waiting!
but from all the praise.....it'll be worth it!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:03 PM

it most certantly is

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:08 PM

Quote:

though the idea of him killing things when i say stop is good

My guess is that in the story theire will be a part where the objectives of good & evil cross paths with you and the DK in the middle of it. It's just that the hero and dk have a common goals for now (to escape the citadel) but I think that the rising battle between. I can see it now: When the hero learns of the plans of isode with the dammed one(or whatever her name is) he will try and stop her the DK on the other hand will not allow this. but thats just my take. Realy hope the DK will get more evil soon.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:09 PM

Quote:

I expected a dragon rider kinda voice for the DK (like the one that hunts you in the beginning of Divinity) but this one will do, doesn't sound that evil though, more like a normale guy in a pretty bad mood.

You've hit the nail on the head. That was also my expectation.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:10 PM

hmm. like in jedi academy at the end, you have a choice to kill rosh or to save him.

er, that was spoiler for it, sorry.

yes, sort of like kill or save.
that will happen?? probably somewere, maybe at the end? and then you must fight the DK as the finaly baddie? but he has all the skills youve given him? hmm. but then in the middle of the fight someone else attacks, you must join forces to geather???

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:17 PM

the echo of the DK is because he is speaking directly to your mind, not because of his helmet =)
lost his voice, remember?

but it's weird, because he can communicate with other ppl too

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:25 PM

Thats a good point. But man that DK has a boring mind then I would have guessed it would be more chaotic, now its seams like youi have stephen hauking in your mind.
Posted By: Sumyungei

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:34 PM

lol! damn, 10 minutes to go on my download, this thread is teasing me!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 09:50 PM

*teaste Tease Tease* just joking.

and on another note.

4000!!!!!!!!!!

wahoo! I have joined the reanks of those big spamming people!!! finally my goal has been reached!!!

now, onto 5000!!!!!!! in 3 days!!!

just joking!!!
Posted By: bernhard

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:21 PM

*sneaks up behind Lews and tries to steal some 400 posts*

"damn didnīt work, you protect yourself well"

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:23 PM

NO NO NO NO!!!

my posts, mine!

*hits bernhard with a copy of the dem*, "take that you! I had to spam all those threads for a good reason!!!"

Im a level 55 character, you5 level 3 pickpocket only gets level 12 people! thats a fifth of mine, not even close.
Posted By: Thoros

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:36 PM

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting here but I'm a fan of DD for over a year now and played through it 2 times

Demo review:

Gameplay\RPG elements
The basic gameplay has not changed too much since DD, that's a good thing
The targeting can be awkward at first but once you get used to it, it's no longer a problem.
The speed of the combat seems fine to me.
Can't say much about the RPG elements becuase it's too short in the demo.

Graphics 8/10
I think they have improved the graphics. Even tho it's a darker environment now it's much more colorful now, strange I know
The landscapes are highly detailed.
I'm sure the spell effects will be great when we get to play with them.
Being able to zoom in and choose higher resolutions is great.
I do think the new charactor models have funny looking feet though

Sound 7/10
The music is good, it's just what I had imagined for this game.
All the sounds effects that you could hear in the demo are good.
Now the voice acting is hit-and-miss I think. Most of the voices sound like they are coming from someone that is half-asleep. The modulation is sort of unnatural.
Some of voices fit OK like the mad inmate with his "squishy bits".
I thought the dialog is good overall and even funny at times! "May ants nest in your cod-piece"

After playing I think if you even remotely enjoyed DD you would be crazy to pass up
Posted By: Undesirable

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:45 PM

Nothing angers me more than when I open up a game's options only to discover that it doesn't natively support the LCD TFT display standard resolution 1280 x 1024. I mean - come on! This is the year 2004 for christ's sake.

For those of you that need to change to a resolution not supported, edit the "config.div" file in your Beyond Divinty installation directory to show:

// display width
width 1280

// display height
height 1024

or whatever you desire (within your monitor limits).

This also works with Divine Divinity, but you will likely experience crashes when you attempt to open the diary / map - which is downright annoying, to be frank. Oh - and you still can't run Beyond Divinity in a "Window"; even though games over five years old have this feature.

Has anyone noticed that you can use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out, and that the characters appear to be fully rendered in 3d?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:53 PM

totally agree I use 1400 * 1050. and just a small note: the zoom the camera needs to zoom out a bit more not to much but just to get a nice view. Now the camera is a bit close to the char. Not a big problem it just needs some getting used to.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 10:54 PM

welcome to the forum!!!

oh, and to you, Undesirable, i noticed, yes, its in the preview of the demo at silvan.com plus Larian told us that.

so what if its 2004, doesn't matter.

and has never run in a window, UNLESS, you are using Linux. But that doesn't matter to much., does it?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:05 PM

Quote:

oh, and to you, Undesirable, i noticed, yes, its in the preview of the demo at silvan.com plus Larian told us that.

Oh - sorry. I didn't really read anything before I downloaded the demo.

Quote:

so what if its 2004, doesn't matter.

You just keep telling yourself that.

Quote:

and has never run in a window, UNLESS, you are using Linux. But that doesn't matter to much., does it?

It doesn't matter TOO much, but you could say that about almost anything. It looks as if they've put painstaking detail into their 2D work, so they might as well make an effort to provide users with a slightly greater array of options to allow us to view them in their full glory.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:06 PM

Last remark I make on the demo.

The inventory system. Call me stupid but I have the reflex to press the char ava's in the upper right corner of the screen but that doesn't change the inventory. Also I don't like the use of arrows for switching chars in the inventory. I would have put all the ava's of the chars in that place. That also makes it easier to drag and drop stuff for when theire are more then 2 party members. A multiple selection tool would also be nice to move multiple items from char to char.

When I started playing my first reaction was to drag a selection box around my chars to select them. This doens't work. then I realised how the buttons on top work. It would be nice to be able to drag selection boxes around chars. I know these are just little things but theire important thing.

demo => great stuff
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:09 PM

Full Glory for those with fully glorificized PCs ?

Posted By: Coes

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:10 PM

Euro-RPG, a cRPG related website that I am involved in, has the demo now hosted as well. It's our very first hosting.

-> newsitem regarding the hosting of the demo, including the link for the download

Can this link be added to the list of mirrors?

We only host the English version.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:14 PM

yes, not everyone has gloriffied pc's.

i will keep on saying it!

Morbo, you can ckilc on a cgaracters head, then on inventory. then do it for the other. you then have 2 inventories, no need of arrows.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:20 PM

Not everyone has a glorified PC, but this is mainly a 2D game. I would understand if you were talking about Half-Life 2 or something. And even if we don't all have super computers, it would still be nice to be presented with all the options possible; for debugging as well as optimisation.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:35 PM

well i have like a 800 mhz duron, a geforce 2, and 256 mb, i got nothing good. im very glad, and suprised a game this good can still run on my old crap system!!!

i dont think any people here on the forum (maybe a few) have real nice rigs.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 03/03/04 11:53 PM

Quote:

Not everyone has a glorified PC, but this is mainly a 2D game. I would understand if you were talking about Half-Life 2 or something. And even if we don't all have super computers, it would still be nice to be presented with all the options possible; for debugging as well as optimisation.

But you still found it, no?

2d game or not, the chars are in 3d and I still have the ol' p3 666mhz (a proverb: if yer evil, ya have ta stick wit' an ol' 'puter) and I am happy that at least ONE of the new games have low sys requirements.
Posted By: Barta

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 01:42 AM

Quote:

Euro-RPG, a cRPG related website that I am involved in, has the demo now hosted as well. It's our very first hosting.

-> newsitem regarding the hosting of the demo, including the link for the download

Can this link be added to the list of mirrors?

Because he does not seem to know it, i inform Coes that there is an official forum in French which is called divinityfrance
A link in his forum would be welcome.

Sorry to be off topic, but a lot of people who use to speak french could find there translations of interviews.
Lynn if you delete my post i will not be shocked.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 04:21 AM

why would she???
Posted By: Lynn

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 08:51 AM

Exactly Barta, why would I delete your reply? No reason for that

@Coes: the link has been added
Posted By: shadow9d9

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 02:30 PM

Just FYI... It is cheap to get a new computer nowadays... To stick with a 600 p3 is insane... I got this 2.8 P4 with 512 ram, dvd drive, cd-r drive, and ATI 9800 pro among other things for $600 after a rebate from dell just in November... That's pretty cheap for a close to a top of the line computer.... go to anantech.com's deal forums often to catch the latest deals.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 05:52 PM

Quote:

Just FYI... It is cheap to get a new computer nowadays... To stick with a 600 p3 is insane... I got this 2.8 P4 with 512 ram, dvd drive, cd-r drive, and ATI 9800 pro among other things for $600 after a rebate from dell just in November... That's pretty cheap for a close to a top of the line computer.... go to anantech.com's deal forums often to catch the latest deals.

Oh, look who's here! The great shadow9d9! Found any spelling mistakes in the demo yet?
Well, if you send me a computer for free, I would consider throwing away my P3 666.
I don't even know if I'll be able to buy BD: I am sure I won't able to buy the game untill summer when I get a job.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 05:58 PM

its not like I just have money flowing like milk and honey.

im going to be getting a radeon 9800 pretty soon. of course ill need to save up money until like the end of summer, because it itself is about 550, though recently dropped to 400.
besides, if his computer still runs games good, why should he need to change it?
i suppouse im insane too to stick with a amd duron 800.
Posted By: HappyAlien

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 06:28 PM

May I just say that I think it's absolutely great that you can choose the physical appearance of your character, I mean slim, muscular, regular, and large. I've never seen a game giving you the option to play as a slighlty overweight character.

So ofcourse I immediately played as an overweight female, just wanted to see what the character model looks like + I think it's neat we can finally get rid of that ultra-slim hollywood predujice

Ow and ofcourse I chose female because I'm a male

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 07:00 PM

Quote:

May I just say that I think it's absolutely great that you can choose the physical appearance of your character, I mean slim, muscular, regular, and large. I've never seen a game giving you the option to play as a slighlty overweight character.

So ofcourse I immediately played as an overweight female, just wanted to see what the character model looks like + I think it's neat we can finally get rid of that ultra-slim hollywood predujice

Ow and ofcourse I chose female because I'm a male

Hehe, for my second time in the demo I chose an overweight female with a jolly smiling face and long golden hair... And named her Valkyrie.
It's funny to see how she runs.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 07:15 PM

I like doing funky stuff like a child playing melee tank or a fat guy with a ponytail doing ranged

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 07:20 PM

i have my child being the wzzard. fun, and lots of options to do for laughtor, great job Larian!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 07:48 PM

DEATHATTHEDOOR, I think you need to get those anger issues addressed. You don't know if you have the bucks to buy one computer game by summer? Ahh, so I see I am dealing with a child. Kids and their anger these days. Stick with your 600 p3.. I had one 5 years ago : ).

And the other guy, I don't see how a 9800 is $500... Maybe you are in another country however...the computer I bought was 100 dollars more than that with a pro in it...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 07:56 PM

Quote:

DEATHATTHEDOOR, I think you need to get those anger issues addressed.

I am not angry, I am cynical .

Quote:

You don't know if you have the bucks to buy one computer game by summer? Ahh, so I see I am dealing with a child. Kids and their anger these days. Stick with your 600 p3.. I had one 5 years ago : ).

Ah, well, welcome to the real world, mate, where not everyone is rich.
Maybe I won't always be angry but you will always be ignorant. Congratulations and god bless you.

PS: Does it mean you won't send me a computer?

Quote:

And the other guy, I don't see how a 9800 is $500... Maybe you are in another country however...the computer I bought was 100 dollars more than that with a pro in it...

Depends on the store. I saw 9600 pro for the same price as 9800... which was arround 200$ Canadian.
In another store, the same cards cost 325...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 08:08 PM

i think it means he wont send you the computer.

radeon 9800 XT 256????

pro is something different.

there's the radeon 9800 SE i think
the pro
the XT 128
and the XT 256

wow.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 08:08 PM

---
hmm, im "and the other guy"

im in the good ol usa. actually. the bad ol usa.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:43 PM

Then I don't understand... I got a brand new computer with great specs including the 9800 pro for $600 including the shipping.. plus it is tax deductible(well, if you are part of a corporation)...

And as for doorman... You don't need to be rich to get a videogame... Once you get into the "real world", you will realize how little $50 really is... It is pretty much pennies... Wait till your cat needs $2500 surgery and you'll see how little $50 goes. Even at a MINIMUM wage job(which only fools would get, as you could easily double that as a waiter), it would take very few hours to get $50 for a game... Since games usually go to down $40 anyhow, and considering you could get $5 off any game at best buy, we are really talking pennies here.

Saying that you need to be rich to buy videogames is ignorant, so I think you need to look up the word.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:46 PM

tsk. i let DEATHATTHEDOOR defend himself.

but go online, check out what a brand new, 9800, XT, 256 mb Ram costs.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:47 PM

plus, it is difficult to be able to spare 50 bucks. thats why its nice of Larian to be giving out free copies of the game to people. we aren't all rich people. 50 bucks may be "pennies" to you, but to others, its 50 bucks.
for me, for instance, thats saving up all the spare money i can get, and being really good for a month.
Posted By: flixerflax

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:48 PM

This is supposed to be a thread for discussing the demo.
Not bickering.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:49 PM

hmm. good point.

demos pretty fun, cant wait for the game.
Posted By: spick

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:50 PM

Bickering... thats near Tooting in London if i ain't mistaken.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:51 PM

You need to understand that not everyone here has finished studying and can get a full time job.

Quote:

Ahh, so I see I am dealing with a child. Kids and their anger these days. Stick with your 600 p3.. I had one 5 years ago : ).

And dont think you're better than younger people only cause you can afford a better comp.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 09:53 PM

I can't even get a job!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 10:41 PM

I am 21... I'm finishing college and working... $50 isn't much at ALL... 5 hours at any job will cover it!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 10:42 PM

well, what if you need the money for other things?
Posted By: LordMalis

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 10:42 PM

Two words: Credit Card

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 10:43 PM

lol. just dont use it at the end of the year

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 11:26 PM

Quote:

tsk. i let DEATHATTHEDOOR defend himself.

but go online, check out what a brand new, 9800, XT, 256 mb Ram costs.

in my country the cheapest brand costs me the same as 20 copies of the new britney spears cd or 1 month rent and the eek refers to the thought of actually buying a spears cd

I promise my next post will be on-topic again

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 11:32 PM

"but go online, check out what a brand new, 9800, XT, 256 mb Ram costs"

This is silly... first of all.. 256 megs is overkill... and if I am saying a full blown computer with the support of dell, dvd drive, cd-r drive, 512 dual ram, 9800 Pro, with a 2.8 p4... costs six hundred dollars... Why would you waste money buying it separately? Because it is an xt over a pro? Would you rather a brand new computer with the above specs and a pro or 4/6 of the cost just for an xt alone...?

AGain, $50 for other things... then get ANOTHER $50... Back in highschool I made sure to get money for my birthday and the "holidays".. I used that money to fun my games for the year... And AGAIN, it really will be $35 after it drops to 40 dollars which usually takes a week or 2... and then take $5 off by using a gamer's gift card at Best buy! $35! Nothing! Chump change! One group trip to the movies!!!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 04/03/04 11:37 PM

really just let this discussion slide is my opinion.

some people need their money for other stuff, easy as that

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 12:15 AM

like food, or rent.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 12:23 AM

and id rather have that OVERKILL graphics card then an OVERKILL processor. its all your opinion of what needs to happen. id rather graphics, and games, go smoothly with 256 ram, then have my aplications all run smoothly with a 2.8 (which actually isn't top of the line, or near it. near it is 3.2 or 3 )
besides, my graphics are sort of hurting (i guess) but my processor is fine 800mhz Duron.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:04 AM

Your logic does not make sense at all.. a top of the line graphics card is bottlenecked by a 3-4 year old processor like a 800 DURON.... So a 9800 xt would barely work better than a geforce 4 on your computer... So you think you should spend 300-400 on a 256 meg 9800 xt? Yeah, maybe you need to stay in school a liiitle longer... a 800 duron was worthless when it came out.. let alone 3-4 years after it came out.. It is equivalent to a celeron...

To consider blowing 400 on one card rather than spend 600 to get a brand new entire rig barely half a year old technology wise is simply incredibly flawed logic... If you can't understand that, then you can simply join the millions of Americans in credit card debt(their logic is flawed and if you don't like the comparison, eh.. )

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:05 AM

You know, I'd explain my logic to you, but I'm afraid you wouldn't understand it.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:09 AM

Quote:

Your logic does not make sense at all.. a top of the line graphics card is bottlenecked by a 3-4 year old processor like a 800 DURON.... So a 9800 xt would barely work better than a geforce 4 on your computer... So you think you should spend 300-400 on a 256 meg 9800 xt? Yeah, maybe you need to stay in school a liiitle longer... a 800 duron was worthless when it came out.. let alone 3-4 years after it came out.. It is equivalent to a celeron...

To consider blowing 400 on one card rather than spend 600 to get a brand new entire rig barely half a year old technology wise is simply incredibly flawed logic... If you can't understand that, then you can simply join the millions of Americans in credit card debt(their logic is flawed and if you don't like the comparison, eh.. )

besides, I have just a Geforce 2. I'll update old Betsy when I need to, not before.

Oh, don't worry, I will stay in school a bit longer. More than you think

And how on earth will that make me join the millions of americans in credit card debt???

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:14 AM

I know the comparison doesn't make much sense at face... The correlation is that people that have credit card debt use flawed logic to allow themselves into such a situation... The economy is supposedly in "recovery" yet the reason there is more spending is not because more money is coming in, but because the U.S. right now is borderline at an all time high for credit card debt... The reasoning behind using credit cards as a way of borrowing money is beyond idiotic because at 10+% is the worst way to borrow money... Best to ignore my "correlations" sometimes.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:15 AM

Also, your best best is to upgrade to a geforce 4 ti 4200 for 70 bucks which will improve your system... but after that your processor needs to be tripled... A 400 dollar card will do nothing more than that geforce 4..

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:21 AM

it will after I get my new processor, and I'll be quadrupiling it.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:26 AM

Exactly, it'll cost you 1200-1400 for a great comp.. just saying for those who want to save money and still have a great comp, that they could do what I did..I was doing fine before this one until the memory on my old comp went...It might have been motherboard failure... didn';t want to deal with it...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:27 AM

Quote:

Then I don't understand... I got a brand new computer with great specs including the 9800 pro for $600 including the shipping.. plus it is tax deductible(well, if you are part of a corporation)...

And as for doorman... You don't need to be rich to get a videogame... Once you get into the "real world", you will realize how little $50 really is... It is pretty much pennies... Wait till your cat needs $2500 surgery and you'll see how little $50 goes. Even at a MINIMUM wage job(which only fools would get, as you could easily double that as a waiter), it would take very few hours to get $50 for a game... Since games usually go to down $40 anyhow, and considering you could get $5 off any game at best buy, we are really talking pennies here.

Saying that you need to be rich to buy videogames is ignorant, so I think you need to look up the word.

It's DEATH AT THE DOOR, shadow9d9, repeat after me, Dee Ee Ay Tee Eighsch...
Alright, I suppose it's not much, but why my parents can't give me 50$?
BTW, I am sadly alergic to cats (although I really wanted one!).
What are minimum wages if not waitreses? (I am not trying to bite you, but I thought minimum wagers were people who work in McDonalds)
Depends. But yes, usually games cost 5-10$ less when they come out.
Still, I cannot afford the game now.

Quote:

This is silly... first of all.. 256 megs is overkill... and if I am saying a full blown computer with the support of dell, dvd drive, cd-r drive, 512 dual ram, 9800 Pro, with a 2.8 p4... costs six hundred dollars... Why would you waste money buying it separately? Because it is an xt over a pro? Would you rather a brand new computer with the above specs and a pro or 4/6 of the cost just for an xt alone...?

AGain, $50 for other things... then get ANOTHER $50... Back in highschool I made sure to get money for my birthday and the "holidays".. I used that money to fun my games for the year... And AGAIN, it really will be $35 after it drops to 40 dollars which usually takes a week or 2... and then take $5 off by using a gamer's gift card at Best buy! $35! Nothing! Chump change! One group trip to the movies!!!

shadow, Dell are good computers but often the parts are not top quality, as you might know. It's safer to buy separately. BTW, I found that if you buy them separately, it'll be MUCH cheaper than if you order a system (you pay for the assembly, don't forget).
Tower mobo and power supply for 200 CND.It's not the best nor it's the worst.

shadow, not everyone has rich parents. I can't complain since I often get what I want but...
You're not wrong, though.

Sorry, Lews, you made a couple of good points before but shadow was right here. A card is important but the processor is nevertheless the key point. For example, Spellforce asks for a 1 ghz processor. I got arround the half but I have a pretty good Hercules Geforce 2 GTS 64mb (pretty good for 64mb, of course ). Well, the game is a slideshow here.
Most of the computer parts are equally important: RAM, Processor, Video...

Let's switch to BD now .

EDIT: Just read about the credit card.
I agree, it's just a clever trick to make you think you can keep borrowing money... usually it just dramatically lowers your status. When you're in debt, it's VERY difficult to climb back.

Ah yeah, it's better to take a deluxe model of an older card than a new card. But why geforce, shadow? IIRC you had trouble with ATI in the past, is it because of that?

What else can be said about the demo?
I noticed there are many topics arround related to this. But every demo release I assisted was rather chaotic. Ask Beef about the Freelancer demo release, the boards were crawling with angry n00bs who kept asking the same questions (which they could read in the demo's readme file).
Tomorrow or a day later, everything would return back to normal.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:27 AM

ill get this card. then later get a new processor. it will be maybe 600, 700.$
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:30 AM

Guys! WAYYYYYY

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 01:33 AM

sorry Carrie, whatever guys, Im outa here, cya around.
Posted By: StrangeCat

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 02:27 AM

you can build a computer super cheap just check out place like mwave.com
I have gig of Ram on my computer but of course that' for sampling and music production. Still you could get a mother board a 2gig Athlon for around the price of a 100 gig HD something like 180 or 150 like said cheap, your video card might be the most expensive thing you buy. Games that are coming out in 2004 are going to want a 1gig or more faster computer, and all rpg's will most likely be 3d. NWN style and whatever else they decide to do. I hope the success of Beyond Divinity changes a lot of developers minds though.

my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:13 AM

just my observation on the game when i first ran the demo on my home computer.

for larian's info, my system specs;

AMD athlon 800MHz
256MB DDR266MHz RAM
20GB ATA100 Seagate HD
Nvidia Geforce4 MX440SE 64MB AGP graphic card
Creative SBLive! Value

Win Me
DirectX 9b
Nvidia Forceware 53.14
SBLive! Driver (can't recall but it's latest for WinMe)
Diskeeper Lite (memory resident program for defrag)

when i first run the configuration, it gave me 62fps even with FSAA on. so i left that on & ran at the default 1024X768 res. the demo loaded quickly enough.

however the first problem appeared as soon as i click on any item on the menu. the sound stuttered & the game lagged a bit before responding to my commands. is this the same sound hardware acceleration problem that existed in DD?

the same happened in the game itself. & it so happened that there is no control over the speed of scrolling. i hope this can be adressed in the full version. the audio stuttered & everything lagged to compensate. this is weird as Creative card is well known for its solid hardware acceleration. i haven't tried sliding down a notch for the sound hardware acceleration in Control Panel. will do that & some more tests this weekend.

zooming feature is quite impressive though it may not be much of an improvement from bullfrog's Dungeon Keeper series. the character details (marian, u've outdone yourself) are very very impressive especially when zoomed in. animations are very well done. lighting-wise i can see that shadows are not implemented as that may slow down the game a whole lot. the background isn't nice to see when zoomed in. it's very blurry & reminded me of the old doom look. now don't get me wrong, it doesn't look so bad but when a very detailed character is in the picture, u can't help but notice the big difference between foreground & background. not so consistent.

UI & navigation need some time to get used to, so i can't give much comment as i've spent only 1/2 hour in the demo. however putting points in new skills may pose problems for some. it took me a few minutes to figure out how to put points in. i hope this can be looked into. helping new players to spend less time in manuals instead of playing the game would help in generating positive outlook of the game.

about inventory system, i'm a tad disappointed that it's lacking when it comes to exchanging items between Hero & DK. do i have to drag things all the way from the inventory window to the avatar on top right? hardly friendly among soul-mates.

maybe a tutorial level will help. or the first few quests involve teaching new players how to get through the hoops.

all in all, the demo generates positive feelings & it's very solid. the minor problems (or could they be bugs?) hopefully will be addressed in full version of the game. especially the sound as i don't understand why that can happen. does it not use hardware acceleration?

sorry for bursting bubbles but i feel that the weakest part of the game is still voice overs. very very wooden. much like dictation rather than acting like u're in that moment. DK's voice acting is disappointing. he speaks of danger in a very nonchalant manner & i can almost see the character reading scripts with paper in hand while yawning. heck even the alomst as lousy guards' voice acting are better. slightly. sadly i acknowledge the fact that voice acts can't be changed as the game must be on its way to gold status.

anyway larians, thank u for the wonderful demo & i'll be looking forward to the full version.

sidenote: regarding $$$ & game prices. not all places have the same pricings as well as income levels. so when any speak about how others should do in order to buy games, please do in the tone of advice, not cynical nor overly critical. a typical game (we don't have local game publisher/distributor) would cost RM150 to RM200 & typical income would be RM800 to RM1500. see how much a game sets me back in my monthly budget. before anyone BOO me, consider everyone's situation & be appreciative of your own.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:16 AM

about inventory system, i'm a tad disappointed that it's lacking when it comes to exchanging items between Hero & DK. do i have to drag things all the way from the inventory window to the avatar on top right? hardly friendly among soul-mates.
---
try right clicking on a item for fun...
Posted By: DoritoOfDeath

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:34 AM

I thought you were out of here? You post too damned much. haha

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:38 AM

i was out of there for the moment. dinner!

then I came back, can't be gone to long!

sorry, i try not to, can 't help myself though

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 01:36 PM

Quote:

---
try right clicking on a item for fun...

??? Every game with a party had the same exchange system, be it Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 01:37 PM

I like the demo, but the game does feel a bt weirder in total.
to me it seems that the game runs in a kind of a slomo mode (could be my system though; haven't got a 3D card @ work)
my chars dissapear behind walls and objects so mostly I only see their legs. and the inventory interface and skill system is a total adjustment for me. But I'm getting the hang of it, I hope they'll be explained detailed in the game manual.

I do hope that comes out in a small box and not a DVD box, I hope they'll also release a collector's edition...

Lynn, is there gonna be a collectors edition ???

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 02:19 PM

Quote:

to me it seems that the game runs in a kind of a slomo mode (could be my system though; haven't got a 3D card @ work)

Yes, Viper, it happened here too at 1024x768
Try at 800x600, you'll see the difference .

Quote:

my chars dissapear behind walls and objects so mostly I only see their legs. and the inventory interface and skill system is a total adjustment for me. But I'm getting the hang of it, I hope they'll be explained detailed in the game manual.

If you use the Sneak skill, you see the enemies casting a red light, your characters in colour and the rest of the world in black.
Yes, I'd like if BD had a hefty manual.

Quote:

I do hope that comes out in a small box and not a DVD box, I hope they'll also release a collector's edition...

Lynn, is there gonna be a collectors edition ???

I have a dislike for DVD boxes: it's a game, not a movie! Plus I never seen a good manual in a DVD box. And I hope there will be a collector's edition
Posted By: Womble

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 02:40 PM

I reckon its you lack of a 3D card matey. Can't render the characters properly so they mesh with the walls, objects etc. Of course I may be talking crap...

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Viper, it happened here too at 1024x768
Try at 800x600, you'll see the difference .

using both 800*600 and 1024*768 (only resolutions I tried) I get slow downs every know and then. I ran fraps and I average around 40 fps but sometimes the game seems to pause a bit and the fps drop to like 13 fps. The weird thing is that the pauses happen while nothing is really going on, no intense fighting or anything just walking around.

Don't know yet what causes it.

1800xp
radeon 8500
348 sdram
windows xp.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 03:54 PM

i had no music after installing the demo.
so i installed my sound drivers again (creative)

maybe this helps out your problem to @janggut?

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:25 PM

Ok, I played the demo.. for about 5 minutes.. Which is what I usually play as far as demos go...I don't like to ruin anything... Well, the voice for the death knight sounds like it was recorded in someone's living room with someone just learning english and doesn't know what acting is...
I found an oddness when equipping the characters... The death knight had a sword equipped and i transfered a weapon to the hero and clicked on it and it swapped the weapon from the death knight and equipped that instead! Took the weapon right out of the death knight's hands...
I also found a slight delay when moving the mouse around to explore the map... From the moment I went to the edge to when the camera moves... a noticeable delay.
It ran smooth as can be on my system... and the new graphics system seems clean and a good improvement over the original. I don't mind 2d anything... I loved the graphics of the original...
Is there a hotkey to select all party members or do you have to right click on the characters and go to select all each time?
So, make the inventory system less cumbersome, make the hero/deathknight part system less cumbersome, get that delay out of mouse movement, and hire an ACTOR and not some lacky off the street to record the characters... Just do what you did with the first game! The acting was fine!

As for computers..Yeah, I know it is "cheaper" to buy your own... but when I did that, high quality researched motherboards have failed, memory from crucial has failed... I once had my processor fried from bad electricity in a new apartment. Even at your CHEAPEST, it will not come close to as good of a deal as I got ...and for the next year if anything goes from I get free replacement immediately... If you plan to upgrade every 1.5-2 years.. getting a 600 buck comp like this is the only way to go.. I've been down the "build it yourself" route too many times, and it is just not fun... To each their own... but 600 for a 9800 pro in a full p4 2.8 is daaamn good.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 04:37 PM

Surprisingly, my ses specs are much similar to those of janggut. Tomorrow evening I'll get my demo, and I wonder what it might look like ... And how it will behave ...

Also, I'm one of the "chosen few" who are not able to afford the game, I fear. No job, no money, it's simple.

Posted By: DoritoOfDeath

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:12 PM

>> What are minimum wages if not waitreses?

Waitresses here in Vegas make 30-80k/yr.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:28 PM

little thing

At the end of the game after I got the key to open up the chest I sent my DK to retrieve the stuff from to the chest. When I got theire I found out that my DK left the key with my hero (dow). Now I can move the key from char to char but that takes time. My Idea is to have a very small section in the inventory where you have a shared inventory. just enough to have a couple of potions in it and keys and that sort of stuff. You can make it weight related say nom more then 15?

Just a little observation.

If you have not noticed I am one of those guys that count how many clicks it takes to get to some thing done. As a rule I always try to have a 3 clicks or less interface when I write code.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:42 PM

Little thing.

I missed something in And now I know what.

In when you load a game theire were certain quotes like

"Theire are several ways to escape from prison..."

Well you know the onces.

I miss this in they realy had usefull tips now and then and some of them were funny. Please bring em back

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:46 PM

Oh yeah, was fun reading a tip saying "Kill Otho's pigs he doesnt mind" then you kill them and otho comes out to kill you so you reload and the new tip is "Dont believe everything you read" That was fun

Posted By: Tovi

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:49 PM

An excellent point Morbo. The tips and hints during the loadings were helpful. Since the player usually had nothing better to do, he would read them. Bring back the loading hints!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:53 PM

The problem is that the hints get repetitive after 2 days of playing...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:56 PM

Well it is one of those things that you expect but don't realise when theire not theire. It just jumped into my mind.

Maybe we should open another thread "suggestion for quotes".

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 05:58 PM

Quote:

Idd, but I think it more usefull that they are theire, after a while you just tune it out.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 07:31 PM

Quote:

Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 07:43 PM

Yeah, good idea. All hail to the quotes

And when you are bored of them, just don't read them anymore
Posted By: Womble

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 07:59 PM

Or just include an option to turn them off maybe...
Many games have them.
Posted By: LordMalis

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 08:37 PM

I noticed the "Traits" page of the journal is missing. I really loved that, it was funny to keep track of. Does anyone know if it will be in the full game?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 05/03/04 08:53 PM

OMG you are correct. Please larian put this in. The quotes and the traits are realy nice things put them back in .

poison +100 :

If some on dropped you in a pit of snakes they better get a seat because only bordom will kill you

I know these things aren't high priority but I would like them in theire like game boosters and make the game fun to play.
Posted By: Raze

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 05/03/04 09:03 PM

Quote:

Is there a hotkey to select all party members or do you have to right click on the characters and go to select all each time?

The bottom right icon under the character portraits will select all characters, and the tab key brings up the party menu wherever the mouse character is. Lar has said they will have a 'select all' hotkey in the release version.
Posted By: fluffy_ferret

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 12:22 PM

noticed a couple more things i'd like in the full game

1. when you open barracel, corpse etc. option to 'take all' with the press of a button
2. a box on the minimap which indicates the area you're looking at

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 03:51 PM

Well, i tend to agree with comments made here.
Combat is brutal! I have not even been able to make it out of the cidital yet! (ANd i have been killed by rats!!!!!????) Am i doing something wrong? I do want to give this a bit more of a chance than i have been able to play....
The DK's voice is not so good...
I am trying not to be so down on it, i want this game to succeed...but, i can't seem to play wiht out dying the first 5 mins! If anyone can give me some advice...let me know...

Also, maybe a sillyt question. Is the knight not supposed to help you in battle? Is he not supposed to come with you and help you? The guards always kill me, and some help would be nice if my soul forged friend wants to make it to Isolde.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 04:03 PM

I think I know where the problem lays. When you select all you chars and then attack a enemy only one char actually attacks the enemy. This is because theire is a proirity in the game (see the orange wihte square). They probably did this for when a char needs to open a door only one char goes to the door and not the whole party.

If you press pause and select only the DK and attack, then select only the hero and attack, unpause and now the 2 chars attack the enemy. I had a little problem getting used to this. I was always selecting both mebers at once and casting spells but only one char did the spell. When I issued the attack sepperatly I all went good and nice. This is probably for when you've got 6 members in your party, when you meet a small monster and attack, that not all your members cast a devestating spell to kill a small monster. It also makes you use tactics because you have to give commands sepperatly you think more about your attack.

example:

When I met Fergus with my Wizard/Wizard combo I used fire and water spells to see what had more effect.

When I met Fergus with my Wizard/Warrior combo I noticed that my warrior did not do well and let my wizzard do the talking.

It a bit of a mixed blessing.

btw: First played the game easy that was waaaay to easy, then normal (seem about wright), now lets go hard.
Posted By: Mirach

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 06/03/04 04:32 PM

post deleted:) by me

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:14 PM

If you select both characters (either the bottom right icon, right click on an portrait and click 'Select All', or hit tab to being up the party menu wherever the cursor is and click 'Select All'), the should both use their primary attack when you left click on an opponent. For secondary skills (spells, spin attack, etc) only the active character reacts to right clicks (except both will Sneak if either does).
Once you get the DK following you, the demo should be much easier.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:21 PM

MAN!!!! I am so frustrated! I can not kill fergus!!!!
Any hints?
I am playing a female mage - skill of elemntal fire.
I do not have enough potions (though the DK keeps dying....) and, i do not have a bad or anything to eat. If i could just kill him....

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:34 PM

I have a question about summoning dolls for the Larian crew (Such a shame they weren't in the demo):

Can you use summoning dolls to carry around stuff for you? In other words, will they have an own inventory, and can they act as your load-baring donkey? Also: If they die, do they drop all the stuff you gave them on the floor, or do you lose all that stuff forgood? And: Can you summon dolls more than once per doll? Does it cost anything to summon them (mana, money, stamina)? How do you get the dolls?

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:34 PM

Thats strange against a mage fergus doesn't stand a chance. I played the demo A couple of time and fergus didn't give me any trouble. Maybe I've used one potion.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:35 PM

Killing Fergus

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:44 PM

with instant fire, and a DK with a short sword no problems! (oh yeah, 2 MANA potions, 3 HEALTH potions, 1 REstoration)

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:48 PM

Well if even lews can kill him ... (sorry lews couldn't resist no hard feelings )

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:56 PM

2 melee characters and three healt potions are what i used agains't fergus to kill him....2 tries by the way..first try my main character was unarmed when th battle begun..

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 07:57 PM

Quote:

Well if even lews can kill him ... (sorry lews couldn't resist no hard feelings )

oh come on!!! everyone makes fun of me...

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 10:03 PM

It was just a joke. Please forgive me Oh mighty lews, Slayer of kin, Ruler of spam.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 06/03/04 10:04 PM

hmm, thats more like it, though i need to think if i will forgive you, fishy guy.

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 07/03/04 12:08 AM

You get Fergus "finished" ? Strange, I have tried it 4 times with no success. What did I made wrong ?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 12:11 AM

In Antwort auf:

An excellent point Morbo. The tips and hints during the loadings were helpful. Since the player usually had nothing better to do, he would read them. Bring back the loading hints!

I'd like to see a textfile fromm which the tips load so I can enter my own tips and sayings there !

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 12:15 AM

Weren't the quotes in in a textfile. I think they were. I remember adding a few.

like:
"Morbo is great" (yes I know it's sad)

Re: my take on the DEMO & it ain't pretty - 07/03/04 05:10 AM

Quote:

You get Fergus "finished" ? Strange, I have tried it 4 times with no success. What did I made wrong ?

Alrik...
I followed Raze's advice (thanks Raze) I put the speed, servival and strenght up. He was still hard - but at least i got though it!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 09:37 AM

Quote:

Weren't the quotes in in a textfile. I think they were. I remember adding a few.

like:
"Morbo is great" (yes I know it's sad)

yes they were and i thought about that too!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 02:10 PM

I finally put the teacher's skills into my "skill inventory " - because I didn't want to waste them - and it worked !

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 02:28 PM

Hey, has anyone tried switching the music around? I REALLY like that "03 of 12pp.ogg" song, so I renamed to to "02 of 12pp.ogg" and now it's the menu-music. It's a bit weird at first, but that song is gorgeous... I don't remember actually hearing it ingame.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 07/03/04 02:57 PM

Quote:

Hey, has anyone tried switching the music around? I REALLY like that "03 of 12pp.ogg" song, so I renamed to to "02 of 12pp.ogg" and now it's the menu-music. It's a bit weird at first, but that song is gorgeous... I don't remember actually hearing it ingame.

Indeed, Tovi, I love it too.
The menu song is far from the best song in the demo.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 02:24 AM

i've finished the demo for the first time (dang! wish i have more time in the weekend) & i've somehow overlooked the easter eggs & hidden goodness.

however i found the cogwheel which myrthos described in one of 4-part feature in RPGdot. yes, larian is really ingenius in making the game very very very creative in gameplay. i love it.

the random factor is more controlled, it seems. there isn't any item/book/whatever that is so over the top that the game becomes too easy in the early stages.

i mentioned earlier that the UI feels quite unfamiliar & i had to wrestle with the controls a bit to get the hang of it. fortunately it doesn't need to take very long to be fmailiar with the controls. it certainly is unique. great job, larians.

overall the demo gives me the feeling that everything in the game has thoughts & considerations being put in it. books, items, characters, conversations (reading them is more fun than listening), their placements, & heck even enemies. now i see that enemies aren't many (& i hope the enemies will get to be more difficult, not just more in quantity) & but they posed quite a big challenge. especially those level 5 ghosts. i cannot imagine how i'll survive kiya in the game. is there any way to avoid facing her? why can't larians make her a friendly NPC, like seth in DD?

***contains SPOILER***

if u check in the folder called Common in the location where u installed the demo, u can read the runes found in the writing on the wall of a prison (which the door needs to be opened via lever). in fact, u can also read other books that can be available in the demo.

please read the file books.txt at your own risk.

to find out about suffixes that can be found on items, u can check out equipment.txt in localizations folder. in fact there are some spelling errors in some; Surprize (?), Prieceless(?), Wounders ( is that supposed to be Wonders?).

oh well, at least Leopard isn't spelled as leotard.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 02:42 AM

I guess that the spelling mistakes are due to Yann and his bad english.
Yann don't kill me, i am just joking.
You have done a very good work, the magic effects are very great.

@ janggut

Quote:

fortunately it doesn't need to take very long to be fmailiar with the controls.

I think that you mean familiar

Quote:

however i found the cogwheel which myrthos described in one of 4-part feature in RPGdot.

I found the cogwheel too but i don't find out the use of it.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 02:44 AM

did you get the iron bar??

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 02:50 AM

Quote:

did you get the iron bar??

Yes. But i did not know if i had to use it.
Don't give me the answer for the moment. I am going to try to find out by myself.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 03:01 AM

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 08/03/04 05:26 AM

yes, barta. it's 'familiar'. thanks for correcting my typo. what irony!

& as for that cogwheel, what u do is ... uhh wait, jurak. don't wave that iron bar near me like that. ok, i'll just shut up.
Posted By: Virgo_Bluefire

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 10:31 AM

I had to wait through 3 downloads to tell me they failed. It just so happens while I was downloading from these several mirrors they happened to also try to download another .exe which crashed my whole download. Has this happened to anyone else?

Am I forced to download from fileplanet? ................

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 11:10 AM

hasn't happened over here... have you tried ALL the mirrors because there are quite a lot of them
Posted By: Virgo_Bluefire

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 11:22 AM

well i clicked on most of them.......I decided i don't want to register anywhere which took care of some choices then i didn't want to wait in a line which took care of a choice.......sigh after hell broke loose several times (mentioned above) i gave up and sold my soul to fileplanet...gamespy .. *oh look im done downloading form fileplanet only took an hour and some odd minutes sigh*

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 11:49 AM

welll.... at least you've got it right?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 06:46 PM

demo was kinda easy, with my hero and his fire spell

who was fergus again?
the one with the imp?
Posted By: Coes

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 08:09 PM

Als antwoord op:

hasn't happened over here... have you tried ALL the mirrors because there are quite a lot of them

location of the Euro-RPG download

This one works. Period.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 10/03/04 11:35 PM

Fergus = torture master, room next to talking skull

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 11/03/04 05:34 PM

so he is the one who is talking to the imp when you walk in?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 11/03/04 06:44 PM

Yes, Fergus is the one lecturing the imp about not letting 'pets' off too easy by allowing them to die.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 11/03/04 07:27 PM

ok, I was allready affraid I had missed something

I do think the demo is waaay to short, exactly at the time I started "feeling it", it was over
Posted By: HandEFood

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 12/03/04 01:51 AM

Quote:

ok, I was allready affraid I had missed something

I do think the demo is waaay to short, exactly at the time I started "feeling it", it was over

That's what they want.
Posted By: GoldyLocks

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 12/03/04 02:03 AM

a qiuck first impression is all that it takes to decide if you are going to buy a game or not.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 12/03/04 03:51 AM

yep! .... ......OK! I'll buy it!
and it's gonna have a short novel in it too!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 05:18 PM

Just heard from a source that they implemented that you can move the camera with your arrow keys.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 09:15 PM

whos the source??? I hear lots of things from my sources. er, source.

but i can't tell... about how larians sending us all millions of dollers, in gnorfs.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:04 PM

Theire are other forums beyond this one that have info lews.

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:07 PM

jesters...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:09 PM

nope and I'm not telling

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:13 PM

WHAT!!! *uses super powers on Morbo* tell me!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:31 PM

Als antwoord op:

You didn't found it on @Mysteek's forum. Did you?
Posted By: wischbone

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:31 PM

hey, i belive you are almost all divinity fans here 'grin'
well i'm 1 off them 2
i can't wait but i must, until the release of beyond divinity, playd the demo and its awsome playd the demo for 2u untill i got the nasty bloke talking to te little guy but finally, got him end made my way to the exit jumping in the hole in the arene witch then thold me the demo was at an end and then the told me to press ok ???? where is the ok button 'grin'
larian studio's in belgium (all the guy's that makes beyond divinity& divine divinity)
keep up the good work looking forward when the game is released thx

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:34 PM

There in Belgum? wow...

Hey, athought of mine. The level's in Imprunner, the first levels the Citadel, first level of the game ( )is the citadel, what if the levels in Imprunner are the reflections (in pac man form) of the game!!! we know there's an imp village. just an idea...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 14/03/04 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You didn't found it on @Mysteek's forum. Did you?

LOL!!!
Posted By: wischbone

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 15/03/04 10:48 PM

When the final game is to be relased, in Belgium do you have an idee already witch stores the game will have the game for sale so i don't have to look for stores who havent't the game thx

Wanneer de eind versie van de game er is, hebt u enig idee in welke winkels de game gaat uitkomen zodat ik niet alle winkels moet aflopen maar gericht op zoek kan gaan naar de winkels die het wel hebben bedankt

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 15/03/04 11:06 PM

Hm, I guess stores hich *usually* have computer games ...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 06:31 AM

de beste plaatsen waar ik goede ervaring mee heb,
-free record shop
-colruyt
-media market

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 07:47 AM

fnac, het computer winkeltje, de gamemania winkels...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 08:59 AM

Hm, "Winkel" as a name for a shop ... it means "Edge" in your language, too, doesn't it ?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 09:51 AM

not that I know of alrik

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 02:40 PM

It only means edge in German

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 02:53 PM

What does it mean, then ?

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 05:10 PM

winkel = store

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 16/03/04 05:14 PM

Interesting. In Austria, there is a Town called "Reit im Winkel". I hesitate translating it (because town's names normally shouldn't be translated), but it would sound like "Ride in Edge". And now comes the "store" meaning additionally into it ...

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 17/03/04 04:16 AM

how about ride in store-edge.
lots of room... storage.... ha-ha, get it!

Sorry.. totally
but i do have a reputation to uphold!

Re: Beyond Divinity demo released! - 17/03/04 04:24 AM

the third off topic dude in the forum one??
© 2020 Larian Studios forums