Larian Studios
A lot of mislabeled or misimaged weapons in this game. Just wondering, are the shovels shovels or morning stars? Are the pickaxes pickaxes or are they shadow clubs?

I don't see any problem with shovels being classified as maces, at least.

If you are playing the disk version of the game in Vista or later, run it in Win 9x compatibility mode to avoid an issue that can corrupt items (though that will not help once this starts): Inventory graphic placement bug.
No; downloaded it from GOG. Practically every cave I've been in since Act II has what appears to be pickaxes that say "shadow club" when the pointer is placed over them and what is pictured as a shovel that says "morning star". Generally I don't pick up mining tools because of the high weight to value ratio. Really, it's a very miner bug (misspelling intended).

I checked a couple random saves, and in one (in act 4) had a 'Shovel' with a vertical shovel image in the inventory. The stats were fine, except for the weight being listed twice (same as with rakes and pitchforks):

Shovel
Weight 80
Crushing 11-19
Speed: -6%
Accuracy: -5%
Initiative: -5%
Durability 4/4
DegradeQuality 7
Weight 37

I didn't check any caves, and there could be other varieties of shovels.
I've often found pictured shovels the say "shovel" with some descriptor too. So you haven't found any pictured shovels that say "morning star" when moused over? Strange. That would mean something is wrong here locally that would cause that.

I don't recall any such shovels. If you give a specific location in act 2 or 3 where one can be found, I can check it (preferably near the start of a cave or new level, to minimize time / combat to get there from my nearest save).
OK, but I don't have any now. I could always send you a save when I find one - that would minimize time to a minimum (if that makes any sense) although, if it is a corruption problem, that may not be the way to go.

That would work, though if it is an issue in the save itself, it wouldn't narrow down whether it was a problem, or not. If it is a preplaced shovel, set somewhere as decoration / atmosphere, I would be able to check from one of my saves, as well.
This is the first incidence of my second playthgrough although it's not exactly the same. I doubt that you have a save since it's in an Act II dungeon but, if you will, please have a look at my DK's inventory. In the armor section, at the very bottom you will see a hat that needs to be ID'd. Pass the pointer over it and it will read rag leggings. Now, go to the weapons area. By itself at the bottom appears to be a ring (yes, in the weapons section). Pass the pointer over it and it will read bone spear. If the save doesn't get to you, it's because I didn't have the correct address - if it isn't raze@larian.com, please let me know.

This is all just too weird smile

It'll happen in a cave somewhere outside of the BF's at some point, I think. I'll let you know when that happens.

The bone spear rings in the battlefields are a known issue.

The 'rags leggings' have a mismatched icon, but at least here when I have the DK unlearn a skill and put the points into Identify Equipment (under Warrior, Craftsmanship), the icon is correct, with the name 'Black Hat of Amazement', which is equipped in the proper slot after giving it to your hero.

BTW both characters have shields equipped (presumably auto-equipped when picking up loot), disabled since they are using 2 handed weapons. You may want to keep an eye on that, since carrying the extra weight can lead to becoming encumbered more easily.
The shields actually came in handy in Act IV when the mages made the characters too weak to use their weapons (at least for the DK). As for the hero, her main weapon, even though weaker, is the dagger to stay in character. It does bother me though that to get the benefit from one handed melee skills (piercing in this case) the shield cannot be used. Why have two-handed piercing skills in that case? Back stab also seems rather useless at 1-2%. Basically, there is no survivor, ie, a warrior called a survivor because they fight the same and the thieving skills are simply not needed and not effective in the least. Oh well, that category has always been problematic - probably should have not been there in the first place.
OK, back from my hiatus. I almost immediately ran into a pair of misnames in the crystal forest and saved it. I'll keep looking. I don't remember what was said prior after a month so I want to review this thread before I do anything else.

EDIT: I moved on since the save; can I easily (easily being the key word; like many people my age, I didn't grow up with computers (heck, we used punch cards in college smile ) so I'm not comfortable with what I believe most here would consider basic stuff) find the exact location in the save? Anyway, it was somewhere south of the fort with the general (and I think south of the witch) near the left border. There was a large red or orange crystal there with chips broken off with a shovel and a pick axe that say, "shadow club" and "morning star".

EDIT2: Many in the salt mine but I'm guessing this is an inconvenient location.
In the exotic ore cave (smithy task) of the ruins island, southwest section, there is a pick axe that is labeled as a shadow club. Another in the NE section.
© Larian Studios forums