Larian Studios
Posted By: Darthvegeta800 Slashing and Shadow - 12/03/09 10:48 AM
I'm in Chapter II yet again.
And things are going well. Having done all the battlefields so far and playing on a low difficulty, things are casual and fun to explore.
I do have a question though. What is the advantage that Shadow weapons bring?
At the moment both my chars have slashing weapons.
The Paladin has a shield and an axe (until i find a stronger longsword) and my Deathknight has a two-hander. What is good about Shadow Weapons? And is there a reason not to change things?
Posted By: Raze Re: Slashing and Shadow - 12/03/09 08:29 PM

Some creatures are stronger or weaker against different damage types. Conventional damage is a good all-round damage type that works pretty much the same on everything (there are of course variations, but resistances to slashing, piercing and crushing tend to be fairly neutral). Particular creatures can have a much wider range of resistances with other damage types; for example, spiders have a 100 resistance to poison, but -100 to ethereal damage.

Specifically for shadow weapons (which are covered by a separate skill from the slashing expertise), most creatures in act 2 would not be too different. Ghosts (for one) would be easier to kill, since they have a shadow resistance of -80, while fire demons would be harder to handle, with a resistance of +100.

Playing a warrior / archer combo, I collected all the different arrow types thinking if I had a problem with a particular creature I could switch to something they were vulnerable to, but I ended up just sticking to conventional damage (normal arrows, then power arrows, and splitting arrows came in handy once).
If you are not lazy like me, though, switching weapon types to match target vulnerabilities for various areas can make things easier. The 'Creatures' appendix of the Beyond Divinity Strategy Guide lists the stats and resistances of the creatures in the game, broken down by act and region.
Posted By: Darthvegeta800 Re: Slashing and Shadow - 13/03/09 10:38 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Slashing and Shadow - 16/03/09 10:03 PM
My tip would be to take weapons with you that have at least a little bit of everything, if possible.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Slashing and Shadow - 17/03/09 03:38 AM
The series of elemental blades available in the forests of Act II (cloudstinger, mudstinger, etc.) are pretty useful if you want to switch to focused damage types, but I don't think there are any weapons that do multiple types (like shadow + slashing, for example).
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Slashing and Shadow - 17/03/09 10:08 PM
Yes, I used to carry these blades with the character, too. smile
© Larian Studios forums