Larian Studios
Posted By: Lynn [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 10:23 AM
Hi there! welcome

When you create a character in div2 , you can choose to make your hero male or female.
Which sex do you prefer and why?

Many thanks wink
Lynn
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 11:29 AM
Male 'cos mmm... nothing like some eyecandy. smile
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 11:50 AM
You need a third option, there, Lynn. I honestly don't care. I'll happily play either as the mood strikes me. Unless there's an obvious advantage to one or the other, it's totally set by my mood on the day.

I usually prefer male warriors and female mages, if that counts as a preference. Not sure it helps in this poll, though laugh
Posted By: ms2thdr Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 01:23 PM
I usually don't care but I tend to choose female since I like to kick butt too.
Posted By: Arkray Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 01:45 PM
Male, if I can choose I always play male.
Posted By: Lynn Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
You need a third option, there, Lynn.

True, I didn't expect that people don't care about the gender wink
However I am afraid I can't adapt the poll.
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 02:07 PM
Wait... actually, revise my post to include either "male" or "female" too. :p

Should've had 2 more options:

3) I tend to enjoy playing both.
4) I could care less.

Oh well, since ya can't add more, Lynn, ah well? smile
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by lynn
You need a third option, there, Lynn.

True, I didn't expect that people don't care about the gender wink
However I am afraid I can't adapt the poll.

Well, I expect to be a tiny minority, anyway. I doubt it'll skew your poll by much smile

I guess it's probably because I've played so many games where the character's gender is set at one or other that I just don't give it much significance. I no more hesitated to play Tomb Raider because Lara is female than I would hesitate to play The Witcher because Geralt is male.

I finished DD with both male and female characters, if you're curious - male warrior and female mage, in fact smile
Posted By: flixerflax Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 05:06 PM
I picked male, but it's by a hair. I will probably pick male first time through DD2.
Posted By: Shades29A Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 05:46 PM
i'd play both ... (2 runthroughs :))
Posted By: isorun Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 06:26 PM
I always play a male character first, but the second time I play the game, I try a female character.
Posted By: Raze Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 06:28 PM

Before BD was released there was a discussion here (chat forum) about female characters in RPGs. I didn't really care if the main character was female, but given a choice I had pretty much always gone with a male warrior / paladin / etc (healers in a party would usually be female, though; one of the first RPGs I played, on the original Nintendo, had a town only female characters could enter, which contained the shop where you could buy the best armour in the game, or something like that). Anyway, for BD I went with a female hero, playing a warrior at first and then archer.

If there are no non-cosmetic differences between genders in D2:ED, then I'll have to see what models are available, but I'd lean towards a female character just to be different. I've got a few adventure games sitting on a shelf to get through, at least a few of which have female main characters, so if I finish them off before D2:ED is released, maybe I'll have to go with a male character to be different...
Posted By: Equisilus Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 08:39 PM
I chose male but in reality I alternate equally between male and female characters, without a preference, in games that I replay.
Posted By: lepel Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 09:38 PM
I prefer female, but I guess that's because I prefer about any kind of magic caster/ranger/stealthy character over the normal warrior.
When I go trough games again and pick the warrior I usually go for a male character too.

But it also depends on what the differences between male and female are.
If the males are stronger and less agile then females I'd prefer a female warrior again.
And if there are other races involved, it changes my opinion too as I don't like female orcs or dwarves, but love female elves.
Posted By: Rincewind Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 15/04/09 10:10 PM
Either. Don't really care which. If the difference between the genders is other than just cosmetic (e.g. skills, attributes), it might influence my choice, but all things being equal I tend go with whatever character model strikes my fancy when I start the game.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 03:06 AM
Um... new poll, maybe? laugh
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 07:31 AM
Male.
Posted By: Viper Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 08:25 AM
female... i like playing with women smile
Posted By: Lynn Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 08:32 AM
Hehe wink

Well, not really, the thread on its own is becoming very interesting.
Next time I will try taking care of more possibilities, promised smile
Posted By: Morbo Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Viper
female... i like playing with women smile

²

*found memories of woman warrior in div* devil
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by lynn
Hehe wink

Well, not really, the thread on its own is becoming very interesting.
Next time I will try taking care of more possibilities, promised smile

Fascinating to me, too. I thought "I don't mind" would consist of me, with everyone else going "Weeeeird!" laugh

As it is, I appear to be in the majority. that has to be a first! laugh
Posted By: The Endless Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 04:28 PM
I like to try and play both genders. I usually starts out with the female healer/spellcaster and then do the warrior Male or female. It depends on the mood - Guess I will play male with ED, - Like some eyecandy too biggrin
Posted By: flixerflax Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 06:40 PM
EK, I think you should read "prefer" as "which do you tend to pick more often," regardless of whether you actually "care." Obviously most of us aren't going to say one gender is "better" but I guarantee almost no one picks both exactly 50/50. Thus, an honest answer would just be to vote for whichever gender you tend to play with more often when you have a choice.

It's not really fair for everyone to just say "I don't care" as if that answers the question. You may not care which side of the bed you get out of, but if you tend to get out from the left side, you prefer that side.
Posted By: Equisilus Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/04/09 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by The Endless
Guess I will play male with ED, - Like some eyecandy too biggrin

offtopic laugh Sorry, but I mentioned a while back about ED = erectile dysfunction, so saying that you want to play a male with ED and wanting some "eyecandy" is incredibly funny.

Well, guess you had to be there...in my mind...when I thought it.

Back on topic: I always thought it was interesting to hear from those that stick with a single sex in RPGs that offer a choice. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing so, of course, as you have to play what you enjoy. What I mean is that I've heard from people who are adamant they would never play a character of the opposite sex, that they wouldn't be able to "get into it". Playing a different race, in an imaginary world, full of magic or future tech is okay, but simply putting oneself into the shoes of the opposite sex is too difficult a step. Is anyone thinking along those lines when choosing a specific sex or is it just all about the look?
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 17/04/09 10:11 PM
Usually prefer to play a male role in an RPG since so much personality can go into a character.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 19/04/09 07:02 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who generally limits himself to male characters. While it's true that staring at a female's backside for hours on end is more enchanting (I was like a child at play watching Gwendala's gait in Drakensang), for roleplaying purposes I like to play male, since I would find it difficult to roleplay a woman. A lapse of my imagination, perhaps. I guess I could play a woman, but it would probably end up a lesbian woman with very manly tendencies. Thus, I refrain from it.
Posted By: cloudia Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 06/05/09 02:42 PM
female, because I found their rounded body line looks nice when they have kick ass armors..
and they look more stylish than male ones.
Posted By: Lynn Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 06/05/09 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by cloudia

and they look more stylish than male ones.

Always! oops
Posted By: rictoffen Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 06/05/09 03:07 PM
I am male, but I reckon that if I am gonna be spending many gameplay hours watching a toned figure running in front of my face, I prefer that to be a pretty girl than a tough guy with a moustache smile

Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 06/05/09 07:34 PM
About that stylish thing: Why not incorporate looks like we know as a cliché from "natives", for example north-american ones ? They do wear - according to the cliché - stripes on their faces when in war or so.

Posted By: swordscythe Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 08/05/09 09:13 PM
I hope that's sarcasm - I think so many games are doing that these days - and I'm fine with it if you can opt out of them - but some games really force those stripes, and that's something really annoying.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 09/05/09 11:43 AM
I don't know "many games" that have this.

Gothic didn't have it as far as I know, for example, and Drakensang either.
Posted By: Virc Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 11/05/09 08:40 AM
i always play it as a girl, i call it the "barbie-complex".
Posted By: sh0k3r Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 12/05/09 09:21 PM
First of all, hello everybody, i'm back and looking forward to hear te news about divine divinity 2:).
I think it's a year since I last posted, nice to see you all again grin .
Well I prefer male characters, maybe because i chose mostly the survivors or warriors types.
Posted By: Wolf Fang Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 13/05/09 11:25 AM
I generally tend to play the first few hours of the game as a generic male character. Once I get the hang of how it works and what skills are important I tend to restart and create a new female character. smile

Cheers, Wolf Fang
Posted By: Sblade Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/05/09 01:17 PM
I voted female, because I would be deadly curious to see the female dragon form. (and I expect it to be way different than the male version)
Posted By: Raze Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 16/05/09 10:42 PM

Why would the female form be 'way different'? I'd expect maybe a slightly thinner/longer body and/or different facial/head features, perhaps different colouration, but nothing really dramatic.
In a fair number of games, unless you can zoom in, the differences between male and female human characters get obscured or eliminated once you start putting a lot of armour on.

Welcome to the forum. wave
Not particular for me as well.

Male warrior, female mage (unless its like DD and the male mage starts with meteorstrike =p).
Posted By: Suzume305 Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 18/05/09 12:27 AM
i usually play as a girl, i think it's cuz i always find them prettier then guys in video games.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 20/05/09 10:26 AM
Which means that games need moire "pretty male characters" ?

Or something like that ?

I think this is an interesting thought regarding the cliché-like image that people (namely RPG-players) often have of male heroes.

A typical example is the duo of "Deathtrap Dungeon". A small, good-looking and agile female character, and a really big, brute, not at all good looking but instead very strong looking male character.

This is pure cliché.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 20/05/09 05:49 PM
Finished Deathtrap Dungeon with both. Prefer Red Lotus (The girl) as she is faster. Chain Dog (The guy) is tougher & stronger, but slower. I just prefer fast to strong.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 20/05/09 06:13 PM
I never could get it running on my current system, it always crashed.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 20/05/09 11:14 PM
There are two versions - a Win '98 version and a Win '95 version. I'd imagine the 95 version is not really a going concern right now. The 98 version DOES still work (On XP), but it uses an unusual soundcard setup. Right now I can play it any time I like... as long I don't mind having no sound.

Time was I could almost play it in my sleep I was so used to it, but now... I need the sound. So I haven't really played it for a while.
Posted By: Suzume305 Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 21/05/09 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Which means that games need moire "pretty male characters" ?

Or something like that ?

I think this is an interesting thought regarding the cliché-like image that people (namely RPG-players) often have of male heroes.

A typical example is the duo of "Deathtrap Dungeon". A small, good-looking and agile female character, and a really big, brute, not at all good looking but instead very strong looking male character.

This is pure cliché.

that was precisely wat i was thinking!!! laugh

ur good smile

u know now that u mention the chiche image of males and females in many RPG, i realized that there hasn't been a RPG that lets u change the size of ur character or how muscular they are. There's always a default body.....well at least that's how it always is in the RPGs that i play.

Posted By: swordscythe Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 25/05/09 01:44 PM
play guild wars. It's horrid, cause women look like they walked out of a victoria's secret catalogue and men, depending on their class, look like Conan the Barbarian or a blatant homosexual.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 25/05/09 06:01 PM
There are two versions - a Win '98 version and a Win '95 version.

Actually, this is the very first time I hear this.

Have you any idea on how to distinguish both ?
Posted By: Macbeth Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 25/05/09 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by swordscythe
play guild wars. It's horrid, cause women look like they walked out of a victoria's secret catalogue and men, depending on their class, look like Conan the Barbarian or a blatant homosexual.

The genre is called Fantasy after all. wink
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 26/05/09 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
There are two versions - a Win '98 version and a Win '95 version.

Actually, this is the very first time I hear this.

Have you any idea on how to distinguish both ?

It should be somewhere on the box, but I don't think it's all that blatant. I think the best idea is to get it from somewhere like Amazon, which will tell you up front in the description which version it is.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 26/05/09 06:57 PM
I don't have it boxed, that's why.
Posted By: Chokladglass Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 28/05/09 04:03 PM
I prefer to play females. I generally pick a female character on the first play-through, then play a male the second time. The female character is the one who is most like me. My male characters are often slightly more evil. (Very slightly, since I cannot really take pleasure in playing evil. I'm such a softie.)

Originally Posted by Sblade
I voted female, because I would be deadly curious to see the female dragon form. (and I expect it to be way different than the male version)
Hiya Sblade! grin Fancy running into you here.
Posted By: Dutchman Re: [Poll] Hero: male or female? - 02/07/09 07:51 AM
In all of the RPG's that I played I was a male, in TQIT I started with female chars, and in Sacred2 I played a male char first, but quickly decided to play females and at the moment I only have female chars in Sacred2. They look much better then a Shadow warrior in short trousers.
In DD2 I will start with a male and later I will pick a female char.
© Larian Studios forums