Larian Studios
Posted By: Eefje PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 05/11/09 09:43 PM
Hi all!
Today my game arrived finally!!
I tried to install it on my laptop, but i didnt have shadowmaker 3.0 or smth so i need a new graphics card silly

SO, i tried to intall it on my other pc, but this one doesn't recognize the dvd!!!!
I can hear it work, but my pc just says: D:/Dvd-ram-station (normally when you put in a dvd, it will become D:/[name of dvd}. It doens't open the file on the dvd to install (who D part is empty like there's no dvd in the player) ....
ANYONE CAN HELP!?!? frown

Ps: I alresy have tried to change settings because that's what i could find online. I put settings of all extensions to 'open and show files' ..

tnx in advance
Posted By: Raze Re: PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 05/11/09 10:38 PM

If you click on the D: drive letter in Windows Explorer, do you get an error that there is no disk in the drive, or does it show an empty disk?

Did you try ejecting the DVD and making sure you hadn't gotten any dust or fingerprints on it? Even just inserting it again might help (though I've found laptop optical drives to be much more finicky that way than desktop drives).

Have you had any problems with other CD/DVDs?

It is possible your optical drive is failing, or just has a problem with this particular DVD. You could try rebooting into safe mode and see if the computer recognizes the DVD, to eliminate the possibility of a software problem/conflict (though that is unlikely). A Linux Live CD/DVD should also work if it loads to RAM and makes the drive available (assuming you have one handy).

Can you borrow a USB optical drive, or something? A new DVD-RW drive would be pretty cheap, and a relatively easy install, but perhaps a bit much if this is the only disk your current drive has a problem with.
Posted By: Eefje Re: PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 05/11/09 10:57 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Raze!

Ok so the dvd is working on my other computer; there can't be a problem with the dvd itself. I cleaned the dvd (there were only 3 little dust bits, no fingerprints or what so ever). Tried to blow the lens/inside of the player aswell. Started pc with cd in it, without it.. Tried open/close it like 20 times now but nothing works..

It doesn't say anything. It's just an empty disk (when i press 'explore', it's empty). When I press open, it does nothing. When I load the dvd, it makes a lot of noise like it's trying really hard, but it doesn't do anything!

So then I thought about dirty lens/dvd problem as well, so I put in a dvd of paint shop pro -> works. Dvd of divine divinity -> works.. Seems to be this dvd only..!

Strange eh!?

* Edit:

I tried the save mode. Well that gave the same outcome. No recognizion.. But, also the whole system went crazy, it said smth like 'my computer isn't working/reacting'.. Tried it twice, but no difference the 2nd time... think think
Posted By: Raze Re: PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 05/11/09 11:41 PM

I have seen optical drives start to fail by not reading certain disks. It could also just be a conflict with this particular disk (maybe a problem with the copy protection, or something).

You could try checking with the optical drive manufacturer to see if there is updated firmware for it (or with the system manufacturer if the computer is an HP / Dell etc). That may help if the failure to read the DVD is a compatibility problem.

I have had my computer crash trying to access a damaged DVD. Maybe the generic drivers used in Safe Mode had a problem with the disk, but could not handle it properly...
Posted By: Inelinc Re: PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 07/11/09 12:38 PM
Have you checked the properties of your dvd drive, there's also region codes that allow / don't allow you to read certain disks, you can check on google for wich number is what region and check on your dvd drive on what region yours is set.

Your allowed to change it like 3-5 times i think before the change becomes permanent, hope this helps.
Posted By: Eefje Re: PC doesnt recognize the game dvd!!! :o - 19/11/09 02:27 PM
Thanks guys for the help!! I found the problem; bad cd-player.. after buying a new one my pc recognized the game laugh

(even though i still have problems now with neverending loadingscreen, but that's a different problem and thread silly )
© Larian Studios forums