Larian Studios
Posted By: Incendax Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 04:10 PM
This is a brief guide that will allow you to unlock the Teller of Secrets at Level 4.
I believe this is the lowest possible level she can be unlocked.
  • Step 1: Create a character with Walk in Shadows.
  • Step 2: Proceed directly to Cyseal, killing the first skeletons and the first orc raiders (the XP here does not make a difference).
  • Step 3: Talk to Arhu, Talk to Evelyn, Talk to Aureus, and then go investigate the murder scene (Star Stones = 2).
  • Step 4a: Go to Black Cove and separate your characters. Have one character engage in combat and die, then the other uses Walk of Shadows and enters Black Cove. Use Resurrection Scroll.
  • Step 4b: Go to Black Cove and separate your characters. Have one character engage in combat and run away, then the other uses Walk of Shadows and stands next to Black Cove. Once the orcs have been lead far enough away, flee combat and pyramid to Black Cove. Enter Black Cove before the orcs return!
  • Step 5: Walk of Shadows past the abomination, hit the switch and go downstairs. Walk of Shadows past everything until you are standing behind Pontius Pirate. Break the chest (starting bow works best). Rift back to North Gate. (Star Stones = 3).
  • Step 6: Walk of Shadows up towards Luculla Forest. Collect the Star Stone near the waypoint, then enter Luculla Forest (Star Stones = 4).
  • Step 7: Talk to Loic. Head west then north to Immaculate Temple. Complete Immaculate Temple puzzles and collect the Star Stone (Star Stones = 5). Rift back to Homestead.
  • Step 8: There are no more steps. Go steal everything from Cyseal so you can afford those damn books! laugh
Posted By: n3m3c1s Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 05:39 PM
Impressive.

Those books are hella sweet. Getting 16 of each (while expensive) would certainly make your protagonist(s) quite powerful.
Posted By: Songbird Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 05:40 PM
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now
Posted By: n3m3c1s Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Songbird
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now

well that's a drag. Guess my current play through will be the most powerful my protagonists will get /cry
Posted By: lordfiSh Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 06:16 PM
Well with GOG you can alway play the old version ^^
(or you copy the version away and load the old verison if you are level up) ^^
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 06:40 PM
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now.
Just started a fresh game with 1.0.8x patch and she is still restocking them for me.
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Incendax
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now.
Just started a fresh game with 1.0.8x patch and she is still restocking them for me.

This is great news for me! I've rerolled again. I simply cannot build the character I want to be my lead without those books.

My idea of a perfect lead character is always a sneaky rogue/mage. In this game however, with secret finding being necessary, perception should be on whichever character you plan to have selected when exploring. This character should also be the one that loots and identifies to keep inventory management to a minimum. So I need 8 INT, 15 base DEX, 8 - 10 PER (I'm guessing) and for AP I need SPD or CON (with glasscannon).

Basically the character has four attributes that need investment and without books is impossible to build well enough.

Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 09:54 PM
Honestly, I would prefer it if she only sold the books once. Then there would be no need to get to her as early as possible. My OCD demands I do everything in the most efficient way possible, though, so even if I disagree with it in theory I still have to do it. =P
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 10:12 PM
Honestly, I would prefer it if she only sold the books once. Then there would be no need to get to her as early as possible. My OCD demands I do everything in the most efficient way possible, though, so even if I disagree with it in theory I still have to do it. =P

I don't plan to get there as early as possible but i will skip some side quests along the way. Probably will be L7 or L8 when I get access.

It's not like you have to do anything. Just play as you like. I'm happy I can still build the character I wish to play.

edit: I've figured that I need 4 attribute books. Don't need the skill books at all.
Posted By: lordfiSh Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 17/07/14 11:44 PM
Thanks, good idea.
I did a Video: Hall of Secrets + Tenebrium Skill at Level 5 in 45min
Posted By: Droze Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 01:15 AM
I would recommend hiring a henchmen at level 4 give her 3 in bartering an then try and find as many barter items in the vendors in cyseal.

So far I have gotten my henchmen at level 4 to 6 barterting.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 01:39 AM
You can get her by Level 3; just steal the 2 Blood Stones in Loic's office instead of going through the Black Cove or the Trials. You can't use the books until level 4, but you can buy them in advance.
Posted By: lmyyyks Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 02:06 AM
Great sharing, I share my bit as well.
It is possible you buy those books twice per level (at least on low levels <10)

Restocking
==========

As soon as you enter Cyseal, go straight to recruit Madora and Jahan. They will be at lv 3. By the time I did that when I was still level 2 and there was a XP gap between them and my hunters of around 3000 EXP. If you skip all the exp thing at the beginning (tutorial cave, exploration exp, Ishmashell) you should have an even larger gap, giving more room to manage your EXP gain and separate levelling. So after the Teller is unlocked, you can restock every time using Madora/Jahan first then your hunters, offering 4 books per level, provided you have the money.

Bartering
=========

As for the money matter, the high price is a big matter. Here below is the bartering mechanism so that you can calculate and manage how the money should be spent.

General mark-up of vendors = 150%.
This is the base price for vendors having 0 attitude and buyer having 0 bartering skill.

This means the original price of each book from the Teller = 5000 (worth) x (1 + 150%) = 12500

Each bartering level lowers mark-up by 20%, so at lv 5 bartering the total mark-up will be 50%; therefore price of each book = 5000 x (1 + 50%) = 7500

Each attitude point lowers mark-up by 0.5%, so at 100 attitude the remaining 50% mark-up will be cancelled out. At max attitude and lv 5 bartering you can buy and sell at the actual values of all items.

Levelling bartering is simple, I suggest getting 2 lv and let the gears/personality(egoistical) do the rest. 3 ability points is absolutely affordable and worth considering what you can get in return in the future.

As for raising attitude:
1 charisma = 1 reputation = 5 attitude
so be sure to equip whatever that can boost your charisma when bartering (eg. smelly panty)
I have noticed this seems to related to vendors' level.
Price of 1 attitude = 10 x vendor level.
At least I'm sure you'll need 200 gold to earn 1 attitude from the Teller.
I spent a one-time gift of 14000 coins to get her attitude to 100 from 30, saving me 1750 each, which will be paid off after buying 8 books.

For Cyseal vendors (in the market, Esmeralda, Conrad the merchant on the ship) I'm not sure, I think they do level up eventually until they reach lv 5.
You can earn 50 attitude from the fish vendor by stopping the fish-thief.

Some extra tips on selling and giving gifts.
1. Give gifts in gold coins as much as possible. Attitude gain is based on the selling prices of items. 1 gold coin always equal 1 gold coin.
2. Same as above, buy books using gold coins as much as possible unless you have reached/surpassed lv 5 bartering and 100 attitude.
3. Sell non-craftable items first (paintings, golden cup, golden plate, books, etc)
4. Some crafted items will level with the player, even battered cooking pot and branches, yielding higher worths and thus prices.
5. Save up knives (check if that's gold) and daggers, they can be recrafted on anvil level with the player.
6. Sword, axes and some other weapons can be melted into bars and be made into other weapons that will level with the player and probably better prices.
7. Remember to boost weapons/armor before selling.
8. Crafted food has higher value than ingredients (of course)
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 04:44 AM
The information about bartering and reputation is very useful; thank you very much.
Posted By: Cameron9428 Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 07:39 AM
This thread is fantastic - you guys rock smile

I'm surprised you can still buy multiple copies of the books from the seller of secrets, though.
Posted By: Soltaro Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 08:54 AM
They should have done a max of two (or four) books IMO. So in coop you both can still get one.

Either way, going for max books is just silly. It was already obvious it's overpowered and it's not intended as demonstrated by the latest patch details.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 11:18 AM
Just to clarify, by "steal the Blood Stones from Loic's office" I mean... after crossing the river to make it to Sacred Stone (near the 20:00 exact mark in the video, coincidentally), take a small detour to climb the mountain and take the portal into the Silverglen chapel cellar the opposite direction in which you normally would. 2 Blood Stones there; use them on nothing to get 2 Star Stones. After that you proceed to steal the ore at Sacred Stone. That's how you can skip both the Coves and the Trials and get the Teller at level 3 (Sacred Stone WP = still level 3, entering Sacred Stone = level 4, so just visit the Teller first, since you already have 5 stones at that point). You could probably complete the entire setup in under 30 minutes.

edit: Also, invis past the Immaculates is important to avoid both the Charisma XP or a fight. If you get the Charisma XP I'm pretty sure you make level 4 and lose out on a pair of books. I noticed in the video that you actually Charisma your way past them -- suboptimal. Less speaking, more sneaking.

One last comment on the video: Although you obviously want to steal as much ore as you can while you're there, you want to dump all but one piece on the ground before talking to Brandon. He'll take all the ore you have on you when you claim your reward. Then go back to where you dropped the ore and scoop it back up.
Posted By: LeBurns Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 12:09 PM
Why do we want to get to the Teller so fast? I didn't think she had that much stuff, other than buying all her treasure maps.
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Why do we want to get to the Teller so fast? I didn't think she had that much stuff, other than buying all her treasure maps.
She sells one book that gives +1 Attribute, and one book that gives +3 Abilites.
As of this post, she restocks these books every time you level up.
This may change in the future, though.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 12:14 PM
She sells consumable books which grant Attribute and Ability points (one of each flavor). These books respawn every time you gain a level. Access at level 3 = 18 of each book can be bought by level 20.

The books are kind of expensive, so it's still kind of hard to make it work.
Posted By: Whysper Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 12:28 PM
It was mentioned in the first 'patch' notes that the teller of secrets will now only sell one of each book.

But apparently this hasn't been correctly implemented yet... the whole thing seems a bit cheaty and obviously isn't intended by the devs.

Still, some like to push their PCs to superhuman limits
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Whysper
It was mentioned in the first 'patch' notes that the teller of secrets will now only sell one of each book.

But apparently this hasn't been correctly implemented yet... the whole thing seems a bit cheaty and obviously isn't intended by the devs.

Still, some like to push their PCs to superhuman limits

I would challenge the Dev's to build a perceptive rogue/mage with enough AP and HP to be effective in combat (hard difficulty). Without using books this is largely impossible unless you get massive RNG luck or savescum chests for gear.

I need 4 or 5 Attribute books for my character. Zero to one ability books. This doesn't feel "cheaty" at all to me. It's simply me trying to build the lead character I like to play.

Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Vedros
I would challenge the Dev's to build a perceptive rogue/mage with enough AP and HP to be effective in combat (hard difficulty). Without using books this is largely impossible unless you get massive RNG luck or savescum chests for gear.
Focusing on three things is asking for trouble, even with the books. Try to narrow it down to two, unless you just like playing a Jack-Of-All-Trades / Master-Of-None.
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 05:18 PM
Focusing on three things is asking for trouble, even with the books. Try to narrow it down to two, unless you just like playing a Jack-Of-All-Trades / Master-Of-None.

I think you might have missed the point I was making. I'm fully aware of the limitations in DOS. That's the point. A traditional staple class from AD&D cannot be made without these books. It was never a jack of all trades class. It was more like using magic for utility and augmentation which made the class strong and versatile.

Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 05:42 PM
I think you might have missed the point I was making. I'm fully aware of the limitations in DOS. That's the point. A traditional staple class from AD&D cannot be made without these books. It was never a jack of all trades class. It was more like using magic for utility and augmentation which made the class strong and versatile.
I did not miss your point, it was just a really weak point. You absolutely can make that traditional staple class from AD&D without those books, and if you want to post up your build we can help you optimize it to be more effective in this game. smile
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 05:43 PM
I did not miss your point, it was just a really weak point. You absolutely can make that traditional staple class from AD&D without those books, and if you want to post up your build we can help you optimize it to be more effective in this game. smile

No it's not a weak point and I don't need help with anything! I'm simply saying the books refreshing aren't necessarily a bad thing! Context is your friend.
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 05:56 PM
No it's not a weak point and I don't need help with anything! I'm simply saying the books refreshing aren't necessarily a bad thing! Context is your friend.
You also challenged the devs to make a class from AD&D and claimed it was largely impossible without using books. I am not making a moral statement about the right or wrong of using the books, only contesting your claim.
Posted By: Shaki Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 06:35 PM
You could probably have only half of the AP/AT points available now, and still it would be possible to win the game with any class. Playing solo. D:OS is easy. There are thousands of ways, to make your char overpowered...
Posted By: Vedros Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 09:26 PM
You also challenged the devs to make a class from AD&D and claimed it was largely impossible without using books. I am not making a moral statement about the right or wrong of using the books, only contesting your claim.

That's fine but you haven't actually contested anything.

It doesn't matter anyway. I doubt our spat is interesting to anyone here.
Posted By: Theodore Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 18/07/14 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by lmyyyks
Great sharing, I share my bit as well.
It is possible you buy those books twice per level (at least on low levels <10)

Restocking
==========

As soon as you enter Cyseal, go straight to recruit Madora and Jahan. They will be at lv 3. By the time I did that when I was still level 2 and there was a XP gap between them and my hunters of around 3000 EXP. If you skip all the exp thing at the beginning (tutorial cave, exploration exp, Ishmashell) you should have an even larger gap, giving more room to manage your EXP gain and separate levelling. So after the Teller is unlocked, you can restock every time using Madora/Jahan first then your hunters, offering 4 books per level, provided you have the money.

Are you sure this actually works? I've never been able to get a vendor to restock with a level difference like that. It seems to check character level on barter, and only restocks if it's greater than current item level on the vendor. Having a companion check and buy the stat books at level 12 and immediately checking with lvl 11 player character (having not previously purchased any stat books at level 11) does not result in a respawn, at least on the current steam version. Are you using GOG / an older patch?
Posted By: Deste Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 19/07/14 11:23 AM
Can you easily generate the money for each level to get the books?
I opened the secret seller at lvl4 and bought my first pair of books and working on the second one now. I got bartering boots and amulet and egoistical trait for 3 bartering but it is still a hefty 19K gold (I think) and once all paintings are sold, it will be challenging to reach that with mobs loots.

I shall see though.

Thanks for the tips and I was also curious about crafting, cooking transforming process and how to make money out of that.

It might be great to make a 3 gold fish into a 50 gold dish (I am assigning random numbers) but you cannot really get so many ingredients or do you have a good set up for that and how much money would you make doing so. If it is not at least a few thousands gold, it seems like a tedious process.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 19/07/14 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Deste
No, it's not easy. It is, however, possible.

Here is my understanding of how buying/selling works. The numbers are not exact. List value = value listed on the item while glancing at it in your inventory.

Selling stuff
40% of base value as a base
10% increase per point of Bartering
0.5% increase per 5 points point of Attitude (which can be negative for a decrease)
5 Bartering + 100 Attitude (max) = Sell stuff at list value

Buying stuff
250% of base value as base
20% decrease per point of Bartering
2.5% decrease per 5 points of Attitude (again, can be negative)
5 Bartering + 100 Attitude = Buy stuff at list value

Attitude is based on previous interactions with the character, your Charisma (5 per point), and your Reputation (also 5 per point). There are also Talents which reduce Attitude, so do not have your Know-it-all dealing with merchants.

As you can see, Bartering is huge. The best bet is to have a character who is skilled in both Bartering and Charisma, since the abilities synergize very well.
Posted By: Deste Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 19/07/14 01:19 PM
I read about the selling buying formula and you could save yourself a bunch of money with high bartering but it sort of gimp a character so I am sticking with bartering lvl3.

I bought the second round of book, let's see if I can raise money for the next ones. I still have silverglen to loot I guess and a few useless uniques to discard.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 19/07/14 01:35 PM
I recommend 2 hard points in Bartering and 1 in Charisma, without Politician, on a main character. This is 4 ability points, which is fairly affordable and not much of a gimping.

Eventually, you'll have Egotistical and Considerate traits, that's bumped to 3/2. Add an amulet and boots with +1 Bartering each, 5/2. Add crafted Tooth rings and the Smelly Panties, and that's 5/5. So at the end of the day you'll have 5 ranks in each without needing to spend more points.

I do recommend, however, getting that 2 Bartering and 1 Charisma as soon as possible. Generally, having the 2 in Bartering straightaway, during character creation itself, is the right move, with the point in Charisma nabbed during the levelup from 1 to 2. You'll even want to assemble the tooth jewelry as quickly as you can, as it saves you gold from the moment you acquire it.
Posted By: n3m3c1s Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 21/07/14 04:49 PM
If you're goind down this path then the investment in Bartering + Charisma (and grabbing politician) is certainly worth while.

For the few points you "give up" you're gaining many more.

I also highly advise gifting money to the NPC. With a reputation of 100, and a few pieces of bartering gear, you'll pay face value AND be able to sell items to get your original investment back.

I did this (though unlocked @ lvl 6 because I chose a different path) and have had no money issues. At all. Every level I have purchsed these books and have an inventory full of gear waiting to level up so my vendors will restock their gold and I can unload said gear.
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 21/07/14 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
No, it's not easy. It is, however, possible.
ScrotieMcB is absolutely correct. It is completely possible but involves raising bartering, robbing Cyseal blind, or doing both. What I did in my last game was raise Bartering and Charisma to Base 3 + traits and panties. I found enough Barter items that I had 7/5. I then sold everything in exchange for the books, and had plenty of paintings and golden cups left over for next level.

After I earned 200,000+ gold around level 10, I respecced and got rid of bartering opa
Posted By: lmyyyks Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 22/07/14 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Theodore
Are you sure this actually works? I've never been able to get a vendor to restock with a level difference like that. It seems to check character level on barter, and only restocks if it's greater than current item level on the vendor. Having a companion check and buy the stat books at level 12 and immediately checking with lvl 11 player character (having not previously purchased any stat books at level 11) does not result in a respawn, at least on the current steam version. Are you using GOG / an older patch?

It works, at least for my case.

Lets say the four members are all at lv 10 and have just bought the books, so now the Teller have no books.
Given Madora/Jahan have a significant EXP gap with the hunters that they can level up to lv11 first, and now Madora/Jahan are at lv 11 and hunters at lv 10. Go to the Teller. If you talk to the Teller using the hunters you will of course see no books because she has not restocked (still at lv 10), but if you use Madora/Jahan to talk to the Teller and enter the shop she will restock (becaise M/J advanced from lv 10 to lv 11). After she has restocked you can use whoever has the most bargaining power to buy stuff. And maybe you should use your hunters (lv 10) to talk to the Teller before leaving to make sure the last contact is still at lv 10.
So when your hunters has leveled up to 11. Go visit the Teller and talk to her using the hunters (advanced from lv 10 to 11), there she will restock again.

Madora and Jahan begin with at least lv 3; min XP of 8000. You should already know that they will level with the player (EXP and lv) if the hunters have EXP >8000 at the moment they join.
I skipped the tutorial dungeon and other exp stuff (Shell, waypoint, etc.) By the time I entered Cyseal My hunters were at lv 2 (EXP 3000). You will get the harbour waypoint (90 XP), and take the long route to get around the fish thief. So you can get Madora/Jahan with an EXP gap of around 5000.

You can actually create two significant EXP gap exploiting the fact that M/J only concerns the EXP of the hunters.
Let's say you recruit Jahan where your hunters are at EXP 3000
(so that EXP H: 3000, J:8000).

Go earn some EXP, e.g. 2500.
Then it will be H: 5500, J: 10500.

If you go recruit Madora this time she will still begin with 8000 because the hunters are below 8000.
Then you will have H:5500, M:8000, J:10500

At low levels (<lv12) where EXP earn per enemy is still rather low, you can manage levelling of party members carefully and restock 3 times per level.
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 22/07/14 12:15 PM
If you are really concerned about level exploiting, you can always kill your second character and ressurect him whenever the level gap is sufficiently wide. Having a dead partner is actually the easiest way to enter Black Cove (Unless they also have Walk in Shadows for some reason).
Posted By: ciopo Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 22/07/14 02:40 PM
I opened the secret seller at lvl4 and bought my first pair of books and working on the second one now. I got bartering boots and amulet and egoistical trait for 3 bartering but it is still a hefty 19K gold (I think) and once all paintings are sold, it will be challenging to reach that with mobs loots.

I shall see though.

Thanks for the tips and I was also curious about crafting, cooking transforming process and how to make money out of that.

It might be great to make a 3 gold fish into a 50 gold dish (I am assigning random numbers) but you cannot really get so many ingredients or do you have a good set up for that and how much money would you make doing so. If it is not at least a few thousands gold, it seems like a tedious process.

tip about money : steal the gold plates! (inn, esmeralda, major house, I don't remember if anywhere else), they don't show up using ALT, but can be looted, they have a base value of 750, and there are 20ish of them in cyseal, that's a lot of money smile , the GOLD one ( appears yellow), not the useless white ones ( worth 1 coin) .

About "multiple leveling", if that works, you can tecnically get 8 books each level, if you sacrifice some xp on some char by virtue of being death for the purpose of delaying it's leveling up.

(or double the books in the case of double lone wolfs)

Just suicide one char on the skeletons, then build up a2kish xp difference
Posted By: Deste Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 22/07/14 02:49 PM
Doubling the books.

I must have miss something important, I thought that the npc refresh happened each time your character with the highest lvl reached another level.
I will test it but are you sure the seller will offer new book if the characters level separately.

Also thanks for the plate tip, I did not know that.

Edit:
I just tested it and it does not work, you do not get double the books if you level up the character individually. As I said you only get a refresh when the highest character lvl up. At least that is what happened in my dual lone wolf test.
Posted By: SpaceHamster Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 25/07/14 03:55 AM
I'm just saying, if the dev have decided to remove this 'feature' as a glitch in future patch, then sooner or later one will not be able to do this by whatever means.

It would be best to find other ways to enjoy the game. smile
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 25/07/14 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by SpaceHamster
I'm just saying, if the dev have decided to remove this 'feature' as a glitch in future patch, then sooner or later one will not be able to do this by whatever means.

It would be best to find other ways to enjoy the game. smile
Well, you could still get it early on so that you have the benefit for a longer period of your playtime. But at least then there would be no rush if you did not mind. My OCD could handle that laugh
Posted By: kurausu Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 30/07/14 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Just to clarify, by "steal the Blood Stones from Loic's office" I mean... after crossing the river to make it to Sacred Stone (near the 20:00 exact mark in the video, coincidentally), take a small detour to climb the mountain and take the portal into the Silverglen chapel cellar the opposite direction in which you normally would. 2 Blood Stones there; use them on nothing to get 2 Star Stones. After that you proceed to steal the ore at Sacred Stone. That's how you can skip both the Coves and the Trials and get the Teller at level 3 (Sacred Stone WP = still level 3, entering Sacred Stone = level 4, so just visit the Teller first, since you already have 5 stones at that point). You could probably complete the entire setup in under 30 minutes.

edit: Also, invis past the Immaculates is important to avoid both the Charisma XP or a fight. If you get the Charisma XP I'm pretty sure you make level 4 and lose out on a pair of books. I noticed in the video that you actually Charisma your way past them -- suboptimal. Less speaking, more sneaking.

One last comment on the video: Although you obviously want to steal as much ore as you can while you're there, you want to dump all but one piece on the ground before talking to Brandon. He'll take all the ore you have on you when you claim your reward. Then go back to where you dropped the ore and scoop it back up.

Exactly what detour? the path that goes to the prison? (do note i never got to this part on my main playthrough, so i don't know my way around).

Or are you referring to talking to Loic about joining them, waiting till everyone leaves and then picking the lock on the trapdoor?
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 30/07/14 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by kurausu
Exactly what detour?
1. Start watching this video at about 18:45. (Tactical Retreat also works.)

2. After crossing the river, at about 20:00 in the video, instead of proceeding directly to Sacred Stone, climb up the mountain and enter the portal (unlike the fellow who made the video). It takes you to the chapel cellar. Be warned, however, that this breaks the Immaculate Trial quest and you'll never be able to complete it afterwards; however, this gets you books at level 3 instead of 4, which is a better reward.

I can't think of any way to word it more clearly than that.
Posted By: kurausu Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 30/07/14 11:30 AM
Thanks for the additional info i had watched the video already and stopped by the 20 minute mark like you said on one of your previous posts, but i guess the instructions are not that clear to someone who didn't get to that point in the main game, I'm kinda dumbfounded because I just jumped over the river using the pyramid (one of my characters is a knight, so he has the str to throw it) and right now the only clear options I have are:

To the north is an area full of traps where some Immaculates keep walking in a queue (they even activate the mines, but never die). This is close to the monument of life.

To the east is Sacred Stone and its prison, a bit down from its entrance is the entrance to the dark forest.

Could you please take a screenshot of that detour or from your map to point the direction? I don't really mind spoilers as in my main game i'm about to go to that direction anyway.

However, have you tried buying some tools to unlock the trapdoor by the chapel in silverglen or do you need a high picklock for that? You could also go to Arhu's house and get his magical unlock spell and use it there or steal a disarm kit (on top of a piece of furniture right in front of Thelyron at his house).
Posted By: 613 The Evil Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 04/08/14 12:34 AM
I will not buy any of these silly books.
Posted By: Incendax Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 04/08/14 08:43 AM
You should buy at least one set. That much seems to be clearly intended.
Posted By: NimeeAime Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 07/08/14 06:34 PM
I've found an alternative method to buy more Skill/Attribute Books. Just hire a new henchman at every lvl-up. As long as you don't remove him from the party he will retain his current lvl. Give him a few barter and charisma trinkets and go buy the books. Then buy them again with your main. Repeat when you lvl-up again. Simple and quick!
Posted By: Rashar Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 08/08/14 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by NimeeAime
I've found an alternative method to buy more Skill/Attribute Books. Just hire a new henchman at every lvl-up. As long as you don't remove him from the party he will retain his current lvl. Give him a few barter and charisma trinkets and go buy the books. Then buy them again with your main. Repeat when you lvl-up again. Simple and quick!

Hi, while I grasp the general idea would you care to elaborate it in steps?

With kind regards,

Rashar
Posted By: NimeeAime Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 08/08/14 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Rashar

Hi, while I grasp the general idea would you care to elaborate it in steps?

With kind regards,

Rashar

OK, maybe my post was a bit short and unclear. I wrote it assuming that everybody read the 3 forum pages before it. smile
I was just saying that you don't need to rush at the Teller of Secrets at level 4 or to micromanage a level gap between your party members in order to buy more books. Apparently, the shops restocks every time someone reaches a new level.
Now, let's say your party is level 14 and you didn't buy the books at that level. Go in the Hall of Heroes, trow someone (Madora) out and hire a henchman. That henchman (let's say Claresta) will be level 1 until you dismiss/rehire her. It's how the game works.
Now go at the Teller, buy with Claresta a pair of books, leave the conversation and start it again with another (lvl. 14) character. Buy the books again. Kick out Claresta and take back Madora. Continue your play. At the next level-up, repeat (of course, with another henchman, since rehiring Claresta will make her the same level as you).
As a side note, at this moment you should already have a spare henchman with Barter 7 (5 base + 2 gear: boots, amulet) in order to buy and sell at the base price.

P.S. I'm running GOG 1.0.81 version. I will update later and see if this method still works.
Posted By: kurausu Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 09/08/14 03:59 PM
I believe this was fixed as of version 1.0.107.0

Me and my friend just went there after leveling up and teller is not selling any books.
A shame, i wish that they limited to 4 books, at least two player can have 2 books each.
Posted By: NimeeAime Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 09/08/14 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by kurausu
I believe this was fixed as of version 1.0.107.0

Are you saying that she didn't sell you any books? Not even a pair?

This game is weird... I've patched to 1.0.107 last night and I was able to buy 2 sets of books as explained before. I don't know how this function, it may have something to do with hiring/dismissing henchmen. I'm just happy that it does, for me, at least.
It would be good to know if this works for someone else as well.

And no, I didn't install any mods or altered the game in any way.
Posted By: superepic Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 10/08/14 09:45 AM
I installed the latest patch 1.0.107, leveled from 21 to 22, and no more books. I think its fixed now finally
Posted By: ddqueen Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 30/09/14 01:47 PM
Dudes, I make it there with both of my character still being Lev 1. Just avoid as many xp as possible.
Posted By: Thorsten Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 01/10/14 05:52 PM
I admit I do not fully understand why someone would want to make all fights even easier than they are today. But to everyone his own ...

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - Level 4 - 03/10/14 05:17 PM
Regarding money, if you give the Teller gold for free you will increase her attitude permanently, up to a max of 100. That means it will no longer be necessary to invest in Charisma to reduce prices. If you plan on buying many books, it's more than worth it in the long run, since a 15k-20k investment can save you over 100k in gold. It also means that she will give you the best possible prices when you sell stuff. So unload your pricey items on her until she's out of gold, because she'll give you the best deals.

But like Thorsten said, this seems like major overkill...even on Hard mode, the game is easy enough that you don't need to make your characters god-like to get through it. Seems like this would make the game really boring!
© Larian Studios forums