Larian Studios
Posted By: SteelRodent Random reboot when loading saved game - 08/12/19 05:09 PM
While playing over the last 3-4 days I've got a persistent issue where my computer drops into reboot whenever I attempt to reload a save during combat - aka attempting to savescum when a fight isn't salvagable. The loading bar fills up like normal and then the computer goes into reboot. The game otherwise runs perfectly stable and I've not encountered any other issues playing it, but for whatever reason it takes down the computer completely when trying to load a save while the game is running.

This is my first attempt playing the definitive edition, but although I never had the time to play much of the game before all the updates, I never had load/save issues with the original version. But granted, I never played it before on my current GPU (GTX 1660 Ti).

No other game I play cause stability issues on this level; even much heavier games don't cause a reboot and don't even crash windows.

Automatic reboot is disabled in Windows, and according to the event log there are no errors at all except for the erroneous reboot itself.
Verified game files, ran chkdsk on all drives after every reboot, and I can continue the game after recovering from the reboot it runs completely stable as long as I don't try to roll back to a previous save again.

Computer:
AMD FX-8350 4+ GHz in MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard w. CoolerMaster overdimensioned air-cooler (can't remember the model)
16 GB (4x4) Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600
Asus Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GDDR6 dual-OC
WD 640 GB Caviar SE Black HDD (system) old, but SMART is clean
WD 4 TB Black HDD (game and pagefile is on this one)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
Corsair RM750i PSU
Fractal Design Define R4 case, dual 140 mm intake fans in front, single 140 mm output in back

Running Windows 7 SP1, Eset NOD32 anti-virus, Windows firewall

due for an upgrade, but can't afford it atm. PSU is about 8 months old, GPU from this summer.
Posted By: Raze Re: Random reboot when loading saved game - 09/12/19 05:41 AM

If you create a new profile and start a new game, can you save and reload? What about in combat?

Does it make a difference if you return to the main menu first, then try loading the save?

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus and any backup programs that may be monitoring the My Documents folder?
For example, a few people have had BitDefender block the game from being able to create files and folders, which has caused issues when saving or loading, though usually errors rather than crashing / rebooting. In those cases, including both the game executables and Larian Studios My Documents folder in BitDefender's trusted app and directory sections would fix the problem (Advance Threat Defense, Ransomware Protection / Safe Files, Application Access).

Try exiting out of the Steam client, if applicable, and start the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator.

Try lowering the graphics settings and resolution, and switch to Windowed display mode, to see if that will make a difference.

If a new game in a new profile also causes a reboot when reloading:

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account (preferably with the My Documents folder on a different drive), switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

If a new game is fine, please email supportdos2@larian.com with your latest save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc) and if older saves are ok, the most recent save that you can load and re-load, and the oldest that you can not.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.
Thanks for the response smile

I didn't try backing out to the main menu to load a save (forgot that was possible), but restarting the game before loading a previous save worked.

I had the game running in fullscreen mode when it caused the reboots, but after digging through some old posts I found here and on other forums, I tried switching it to "fake fullscreen", which seems to have resolved the issue. At least I've yet to have any stability issues after I switched the mode, and that's while loading saves through the main menu, in game in general, and in combat like I did before. And that includes loading saves that would break the computer before.

I can only conclude that Divinity:OS2 doesn't like running in fullscreen (at least with this GPU), which is not a big deal. Just not used to being able to play games windowed - my previous GTX960 didn't have the power to do that at a sensible framerate.

Either way, sticking to the windowed/fake fullscreen mode seems to be the solution.
© Larian Studios forums