Larian Studios
Posted By: snap Scrolls don't scale properly - 08/02/17 10:18 PM
Like the title says.
My 2 Geo mage hit his Fossil Strike for roughly 30 damage at level 5 but the scroll barely does 10 damage when used on the same character.
I see the same with pretty much every scrolls.
Posted By: Le Gord Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 08/02/17 11:11 PM
I donno, but i think it should stay like that.
The scroll is not a spell you buy and learn. The dif here would be that the spells from spellbook get in considration all your stats (such as 2 geo, int, equip) while scrolls dont.
Posted By: tee Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 09/02/17 01:27 AM
its working as intended. like Le Gord said , if it scales properly then i can see myself stop buying some books.

Not to mention scrolls dont have cooldown so you can spam that one scroll all days if you have plenty of them stored, scaling properly would make the scrolls too powerful.
Posted By: lx07 Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 09/02/17 08:20 AM
On the other hand there is already a penalty for using some scrolls - healing scroll is 2AP while spell is 1AP for example. And you have to buy/find them.

If they don't scale then they'll become increasingly useless and a waste of AP as you progress.
Posted By: snap Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 09/02/17 12:54 PM
Books give you infinite use of a spell... I don't see how making scrolls scale properly would make them "too powerful".
Are healing potions "too powerful" because they scale and heal better than Restoration?
Maybe we should make food heal for only 5 flat health instead of 5-10% too.
While we're at it, Special Arrows should only deal 10 damage without scaling to not deter the player from using normal attacks.

I'm sorry, but your excuse is a load of...
You don't find a scroll per barrel last I checked. Hell, you find more grenades in barrels than scrolls and they actually scale.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 09/02/17 01:54 PM
The point of Scrolls is that they are a thing which non-mages can use. As in, scrolls by definition, don't require you to have mage-like stats, so it makes sense that they do not use your stats and hence do not scale.

That said, it's a good point that they'll become less useful as you level up, so it probably wouldn't hurt for scrolls to scale based on your overall level.
Posted By: snap Re: Scrolls don't scale properly - 09/02/17 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The point of Scrolls is that they are a thing which non-mages can use. As in, scrolls by definition, don't require you to have mage-like stats, so it makes sense that they do not use your stats and hence do not scale.

I can get behind that, but when a geo mage uses a geo scroll, the spell should take his geo stat and his intelligence into consideration.
If a warrior with 0 in geo and 10 intelligence uses the scroll, then it should do only his level as extra in damage.

It only makes sense to me that a mage can create a more powerful spell from a scroll than a warrior.
© Larian Studios forums