Larian Studios
This was requested in D:OS 1 and it should have been implemented in the EE. It definitely should be in D:OS 2.

The game's graphics look very good, it's a 3D world with terrain and such, but there is a pretty big drawback. It's pretty much impossible to tell if the spot you're going to move over has a surface on it which you do not want to step in. You cannot tell where the edge of a surface ends or if there's a few pixels which are hidden by terrain or grass which you will step on.

The game knows, though, and if you step on it you'll be in trouble.

So what I propose is that the little dots and circle should be colored if they cross a surface. Because the game knows there's a surface there if you step on it, it should be also be able to tell you about it if you mouse over it preparing to move. The destination circle should also have color as well.

It could be as simple as just one single color for any surface, or they could go full out and warn you that you're about to step onto fire, ice, poison, lightning, oil, blood or water.

Maybe keep a white ring around the outer edge of the dot so the dot can still be seen instead of disappearing into the surface.

It's tough to know definitively if the spot you're dropping a Totem is the desired element or not too. Especially if there is a cloud in the way, it becomes almost impossible.
Making this more clear would be a nice quality of life improvement.
This goes for attacks as well. Is that character standing in water that my ally is also standing in, or is he just enough out of it that air damage won't stun them both? Can be really hard to tell. I'm not sure what kind of indicator would work for that, without telling you exactly what is going to happen across the board with an attack (part of the skill and fun is paying enough attention to figure out how the battlefield is going to react to something.)

I guess there could be some kind of similar colored indicator at the character's feet that they're standing in an element.
Is it just me or I find it extremely annoying when in combat and my character moves towards something and steps in fire as he's walking, I would really appreciate it if there was a key to make your characters automatically avoid surfaces during combat while their walking, otherwise I have to direct them myself and it's just boring.
I'm pretty sure it was like this in D:OS 1.
Originally Posted by Seymour
Is it just me or I find it extremely annoying when in combat and my character moves towards something and steps in fire as he's walking, I would really appreciate it if there was a key to make your characters automatically avoid surfaces during combat while their walking, otherwise I have to direct them myself and it's just boring.
I'm pretty sure it was like this in D:OS 1.

I think it's partly because your characters avoid surfaces out of combat, so it's a bit jarring they can't act smart in combat. Would be nice to have a "find a safe path" key.
Stabbey's idea is great. I'm not so sure about the automatic pathing, because then people will complain that the path that was chosen is never the one they actually want. Honestly it's really not hard to just be a little careful and keep a generous distance from surfaces. You will more likely than not have enough AP to make it around.
Press control and the game will show you, how much AP it would cost to avoid all surfaces on the way to your target. (As an example) laugh

For totem placement, hovering over a location should bring up a tooltip listing the surface and cloud at that spot, if applicable.
I'm pretty sure it already does that, right? Whenever I'm about to place a totem I hover it above the surface and when all the stats (of the surface) appear, I know the totem will take on that surface. You notice that sometimes some puddles are too small so you have to place your totem elsewhere (because as you hover above it, the stats aren't appearing).

Yes, I was replying to error3 earlier in the topic saying it was hard to know if you were summoning a totem on the desired surface.
© Larian Studios forums