Larian Studios
Hey dudes!

I have been trying to set up a 'battle-mage' esque character, but quickly find myself unable to make a build that makes sense. I'm looking at doing a one-hand + shield build, but I will always have to split points between intelligence and strength, which doesn't feel right.

I would only take strength to be able to wield a one-handed weapon for hitting things, since wands do not qualify me for warfare skills. A staff will, but that locks me out of using a shield. Splitting stats between intelligence and strength isn't a great idea, since all strength would only apply to warfare skills, my basic attacks, and similar. Intelligence would only apply to spells. Splitting between the two will only make my character weaker, unlike characters who can focus on a single main attribute will be much stronger in dealing damage.

Hence I wondered why the game doesn't have a (magical) scepter type weapon for close combat magic users. To me, maces could fill that role nicely. Finding anything that will allow hitting things with a one-handed weapon that also scale with intelligence could open up a bunch of fun builds I think smile
Yea, Battlemage is a laugh in DOS2. Weak in both since CC cant pierce Armor system.
© Larian Studios forums