Larian Studios
Posted By: BROttorney Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 05:57 PM
SPOILERS

I've only done the "Tiefling camp party" once, and with a 19CHA character. So I am *very* attractive... That said, if this isn't directly associated with my CHA (and even then...), these conversations are a bit awkward for a couple reasons.

1. It came out of nowhere. None of these companions had expressed any real interest in me prior to the party (none of the characters were above "medium" interest in me, most neutral). Now, admittedly, there are people who are like that. I think it fits Laezel's character perfectly. She doesn't really know how to express affection, so it would make sense that her wanting me came out of nowhere. Also it seems to fit Astarion as well. He's very forward, probably very sexually promiscuous, and that night he is drunk. But it doesn't really fit the other three. There should have been some build up. For example, to this point, my character knows literally nothing about Wyll because I've failed all conversation checks with trying to get him to open up. But now Wyll wants to bang me? Very weird.

2. I picked one to bang and the rest were all jealous without any instigation by me. This is sort of chaining off the "this came out of nowhere" point, but it was weird that after I picked one the game had the rest of them congratulate me on what I thought was a private conversation, and do so in a way that made it seem as if they wished it were them. Some came right and said they wished it were them. Again, I think Laezel's character insisting she would go bang Astarion instead of me fits her really well. It's just weird that all 5 of them wanted me this badly after I've made zero affectionate comments at any of them.
I believe this was brought up as a bug previously, but it's fairly rare; I haven't had it happen to myself.

From what I read, it just makes all of your companions jump you at the same time like that. Not sure what causes it.
Originally Posted by BROttorney
SPOILERS

I've only done the "Tiefling camp party" once, and with a 19CHA character. So I am *very* attractive... That said, if this isn't directly associated with my CHA (and even then...), these conversations are a bit awkward for a couple reasons.

1. It came out of nowhere. None of these companions had expressed any real interest in me prior to the party (none of the characters were above "medium" interest in me, most neutral). Now, admittedly, there are people who are like that. I think it fits Laezel's character perfectly. She doesn't really know how to express affection, so it would make sense that her wanting me came out of nowhere. Also it seems to fit Astarion as well. He's very forward, probably very sexually promiscuous, and that night he is drunk. But it doesn't really fit the other three. There should have been some build up. For example, to this point, my character knows literally nothing about Wyll because I've failed all conversation checks with trying to get him to open up. But now Wyll wants to bang me? Very weird.

2. I picked one to bang and the rest were all jealous without any instigation by me. This is sort of chaining off the "this came out of nowhere" point, but it was weird that after I picked one the game had the rest of them congratulate me on what I thought was a private conversation, and do so in a way that made it seem as if they wished it were them. Some came right and said they wished it were them. Again, I think Laezel's character insisting she would go bang Astarion instead of me fits her really well. It's just weird that all 5 of them wanted me this badly after I've made zero affectionate comments at any of them.

Based on the type of dialogue option you choose when talking to your companions, they will flirt with you. For example, when I was having a conversation with Shadowheart about killing each if we can't get the tadpole out of our head. I chose the option of tying her up until I can find a cure and after the conversation she responds with "Try not to think too much about tying me up." That was her flirting. Also, Gale shows he cares about your character especially after Nettie poisons you. Gale gets extremely pissed off, which shows me he cares. Astarion is always the biggest flirt. Lae'zel acts tough but dialogue options, you get the hint that she has come to care about your character. As, for Wyll he also shows and interest but I haven't spoken to him too much. Taking all this into consideration it does make sense for them to get jealous if you choose someone over them.
Posted By: Eddiar Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:16 PM
Same thing happened to me.
It felt kind of rushed to be honest.

I mean just earlier that day they would barely say two words and then suddenly everyone is feeling horny lmao.
Originally Posted by Eddiar

I mean just earlier that day they would barely say two words and then suddenly everyone is feeling horny lmao.

Apparently everyone you're with gets horny when they're drunk.
Well, you know.... cold and lonely nights. wink

Clearly I haven't played too far yet - I so far seem to have annoyed almost everyone. laugh

Later!

SKP
Posted By: Vile Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:20 PM
In my playthrough of the Early Access, I had the option of Lae'zel (Medium Relationship) and not Shadowheart (Neutral Relationship). I believe I was at Medium with Gale as well so there could have been an option there, I hadn't tried. Shadowheart said she wanted to enjoy her wine and made no hint at any sort of interest in anything romantic, but I think after you make a choice you can effectively ask any other companion if they're "jealous".

Either way this likely needs a bit of fine tuning and could even possibly be a bug as Noraver said.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:22 PM
More importantly, why dont you want to bang all of them?
Bug or not, it was funny as hell. Lae'zel's reaction to me not choosing her had me in tears. grin
Perhaps your brain slug just happens to be the sexiest and most irresistable.

But yeah I do hope they tone down the whole romance stuff so it's not so easy to stumble into. It was one of the things I hated the most about Divinity.
Posted By: pgmoro Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:26 PM
Yeah, that was a bit tio much, this should be limites tô those that have a relatively high approval of you at least, or those who you made advances or accepted an advance previously
Originally Posted by Orbax

I would've if I could've laugh

Also, completely unrelated, I think the brain slug is affecting my hormone levels wink
Posted By: Quent Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:28 PM
No matter what choices I've made or how high my charisma, I haven't actually managed to get any companions to romance me. Dialogue gets very suggestive, and then when I select the option of lets do this they're all like "yeah, nah.".

No matter what character I play, they end up as heartbroken as me.
Because you are the most osem and buitefull and handsome and cool and smart and intelligent and bets of the bestes and every one claps when they see you and crys out of joy and women drop there pantys just seeing you and get wet and and and and.

Shit writing, simpel as. My power fantasy says it is like that you are the center of the universes and all realms bla bla bla.

Like realy you could not make it worse, its like 10 year old did wirte the story.
Posted By: Sharet Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:33 PM

+1
I think having more relationship-related dialogue options open up between you and your companions as you progress would be good. That way some flirting can happen between PC and party members before they want to jump in your bedroll with you. Maybe something similar to Fallout 4? Although I dislike the way flirt options are basically just a CHA check in FO4.
Originally Posted by chuploops
I think having more relationship-related dialogue options open up between you and your companions as you progress would be good. That way some flirting can happen between PC and party members before they want to jump in your bedroll with you. Maybe something similar to Fallout 4? Although I dislike the way flirt options are basically just a CHA check in FO4.

I rather advise to use areal RPG and good one as example like Fallout New Vegas. Thats how you write characters and romances.
Originally Posted by Orbax

I did my best to leave the door open with Laezel in the future.

Originally Posted by Noraver
I believe this was brought up as a bug previously, but it's fairly rare; I haven't had it happen to myself.

From what I read, it just makes all of your companions jump you at the same time like that. Not sure what causes it.

Seems like it's happened to a number of folks in this thread. Perhaps not all that rare...
Sounds like a typical RPG romance. Everyone wants to bang a PC because reasons.

Obsidian tried to address the issue with complicated reputation system in PoE2, but it backfired tremendously. Made things worse rather then better.

Oddly enough BG2 still did it best IMO - romances had smooth progression, and due to few companions being romancable it didn’t feel like everyone wanted to get into PCs pants.
Posted By: Eddiar Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:42 PM
In my gameplay Shadowheart was flirty because of some of my actions.

Like not giving up Aastarion and other random events like it in the druid camp. So I naturally just chose her but it was so odd that everyone in the camp was giving me the the googoo eyes even though I barely exchanged 10 words with them. Especially Gale.

And with the Tieflings being so happy and grateful there was no option to try to seduce one or two for some private fun time.

That would be far more believable than Gale's "u want sum fuk babe?" Line. Lol.
I actually had no idea how Wyll ended up in my camp. I don't remember seeing him before that party. I didn't realize he was a potential companion before. So I didn't expect him to be jealous because I chose Astarion or to complain about why I didn't take him to fight the goblins. It was so weird.

I guess they want all the options to be available to you. While it was nice that I managed to seduce Astarion even though he didn't like my decisions, it doesn't make a lot of sense and shouldn't be that easy.

Is there a way to see the attitude you have with your companions like in Divinity? I'm just guessing. Maybe I did something right by him.

Posted By: Anam Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 06:49 PM
If I may draw the comparison to Dragon Age Origins (while wincing and feeling particularly guilty for the good ol' compare x to o sound of that), I think the problem really is in the pacing. The reason I bring up DA:O is because I have felt the sensation of romanceable whiplash to this extreme once before, and it was in that game. Say the right things and ask all available questions as a female MC of any race or class and you can have Alistair head over heels in love 100+ Approval on night one.

This was the same feeling from an almost reversed effect. I'm playing a good aligned character, thus only Gale and Wyll have warmed up to my MC, barely verging on affection that suggests they could be more. Asterion, Lae'zel and Shadowheart all range from hating my guts to neutral - only because Shadowheart hates my guts but loves when I pet the dog. But then, out of nowhere, all three are extremely interested in boning the good cleric.

I got the same feeling and I think it's dissonance with the pacing in both cases.

Either all that or the flirtation / high approval state scenes are samples left in while the low approval alternatives are yet to be implemented; much like how Wyll and Gale lack equivelent love scenes to the rest as of now, if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, I think it's definitely a big thing to consider. You're right than the romance writing could do with some tweaking.
And with the Tieflings being so happy and grateful there was no option to try to seduce one or two for some private fun time.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed when my Half-Drow couldn't get with that Tiefling girl that he wrote an emotional song with, I felt like that would've been an obvious opportunity for a fling during a night of merriment

Originally Posted by Ashley1Black

Is there a way to see the attitude you have with your companions like in Divinity? I'm just guessing. Maybe I did something right by him.

There's one in the Character Sheets window (B) but I've never paid enough attention to it to notice it saying anything other than neutral so no idea if it works
Edit: Wait, there's an option in Divinity: OS2 to see your companions attitude? I don't think I ever saw that laugh
Serves you right for pumping charisma.
Originally Posted by Ashley1Black

Yes, examine them, or look at their character sheet.
Originally Posted by Khorvale
There's one in the Character Sheets window (B) but I've never paid enough attention to it to notice it saying anything other than neutral so no idea if it works
Edit: Wait, there's an option in Divinity: OS2 to see your companions attitude? I don't think I ever saw that laugh

It does work. If you use the dog petting exploit, you can see your status with Gale, Shadowheart and Wyll increase from/to neutral, medium, high, etc.
Gotta be a bug here. No one wanted to bang me except Astarion. But once I agreed to meet him, everyone was suddenly jealous. Guess they all wanted him frown
We'll bang, OK?
Originally Posted by Calypso'd
Gotta be a bug here. No one wanted to bang me except Astarion. But once I agreed to meet him, everyone was suddenly jealous. Guess they all wanted him frown

Maybe there is something to this...

I entered the camp and Astarion had a mark over his head so I went and talked to him. He was all about that MC banging action and I told him I would think about it. I then talked to the others and each of them wanted some MC action too. Perhaps the order of conversations matters?
Posted By: Eddiar Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by BROttorney
Originally Posted by Calypso'd

Maybe there is something to this...

I entered the camp and Astarion had a mark over his head so I went and talked to him. He was all about that MC banging action and I told him I would think about it. I then talked to the others and each of them wanted some MC action too. Perhaps the order of conversations matters?

Same exact thing happened to me if this helps narrow down the issue.
I mostly feel it's way too early in the storyline. It should take longer to form a relationship. I think they got it [i]pretty[/] good in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It took time and felt reasonably natural, and the storyline with some of the characters rather funny.

I'm not saying that BG3 needs that amount of evolving focus on inter-personal relationship building, but it does feel like the romance comes a tad early in the game.
Posted By: Sartoz Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 08:36 PM
Astarion is the first NPC to be open about it. He was starting to get too cozy. I figured he was written that way. besides, as a Vampire, getting close to you is his main ticked to a pretty neck.

I'm at level 3. Shadowheart and Lae'zel have made no advances. Also I don't have Wyl's dialogue options to start hitting on them. So far, all the NPCs are neutral to me.

As to the argument it's too early, I figured Larian wants to entice the player of what's to come with the main game.
LOL!!!!!! I know, me too!! I'm like.... what have these people done to get this to happen?.... everyone seems annoyed by me right now.... Even Astarion hates all my decisions.
I believe in the Options menu, there is a 'Never Bathe' option, that turns off romances.
Posted By: Saryle Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 08:44 PM
I actually have the opposite problem lol. I was playing a good character so Gale and Wyll approved all my actions. I had "exceptional" approval with them and they were the only ones who turned me down. Situation with Wyll was especially funny, because he said "I just don't feel the connection" and then he slept with Laethel. Yeah, you don't feel connection with a person who did all your quests and was acting heroic but you feel connection with the evil githyanki. Alright.
And I actually think it's great that sex finally is not an ultimate goal of the relationship in the game. I'm really interested to see how relationship will develop later on. Plus it really suits Astarion and Laethel and I heard you don't actually sleep with Shadowheart. Not sure about Wyll and Gale because well I've never got that scene with them.
In my gameplay Shadowheart was flirty because of some of my actions.

Like not giving up Aastarion and other random events like it in the druid camp. So I naturally just chose her but it was so odd that everyone in the camp was giving me the the googoo eyes even though I barely exchanged 10 words with them. Especially Gale.

That would be far more believable than Gale's "u want sum fuk babe?" Line. Lol.

side with the goblins and you get another bang option
Originally Posted by Noraver

Damn Tadpoles, making everyone so horny!
Posted By: citrum Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 14/10/20 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Quent
No matter what choices I've made or how high my charisma, I haven't actually managed to get any companions to romance me. Dialogue gets very suggestive, and then when I select the option of lets do this they're all like "yeah, nah.".

The same thing happened to my character, only she had low charisma. It was especially offensive with Astarion: he began to flirt first, but when I chose the line that I was going to bed him, he said that my character did not meet his standards. Stupid attractive asshole.

I assumed it was done purposely so we could get a hint of the romance system in the EA. I expect they will tighten it up quite a bit before they are done. Ultimately, all I got out of shadowheart was a kiss. So...art imitates life....
Originally Posted by citrum
Originally Posted by Quent

The same thing happened to my character, only she had low charisma. It was especially offensive with Astarion: he began to flirt first, but when I chose the line that I was going to bed him, he said that my character did not meet his standards. Stupid attractive asshole.

I found playing hard to get ("What entertainment do you mean?") got him to propose invoking the glowering illithid.
I got the scene with Shadowheart and she as my only option in the list. Nobody disapproved.

But then I didn't collect proposals either outside of Shadowheart.
Posted By: Fisher Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 15/10/20 12:10 AM
The characters should be willing to have sex at different times. Astarion seems the type to have sex with anyone. Lae'zel certainly does not seem like the type for that, though.
Posted By: Vexor Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 15/10/20 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tipmoose

I assumed it was done purposely so we could get a hint of the romance system in the EA. I expect they will tighten it up quite a bit before they are done. Ultimately, all I got out of shadowheart was a kiss. So...art imitates life....

The recent dev post showed the "Romance Under Construction" screen and said they're working on it and it would be ready SOON. Kisses aren't so bad either...
In my gameply, every female companions wanted to bang Dwarf PC. So I tried to improve relation between Shadowheart and PC. Even I talked with companions a lot, There should be more bonding time or interaction with Companions to improve their feelings. Camp party suddenly make them set some mood and kiss each other worse than Dragonage, and Divinity original sin2.
It's a thing that happens in crpgs. I several games I've said thing that I thought were just an expression of friendship and suddenly that companion wants to bang my character.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 15/10/20 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Harkmagic
It's a thing that happens in crpgs. I several games I've said thing that I thought were just an expression of friendship and suddenly that companion wants to bang my character.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iMage Re: Why do ALL my companions want to bang me? - 15/10/20 04:19 AM
Slowly built up romances in RPGs are fairly common, and sometimes well done. You have character attachment and similar ideals leading to the gaming version of a perceived "relationship." This current iteration over oversexualized nonsense that comes out of nowhere comes across as very poor writing and childishly immature. Modern gamers looking for everything to be a waifu sex doll simulator is quite honestly disturbing on some levels.

Most classic RPG players want choices and actions over time that resonate between characters, not a Harem anime. It is tacky.
I got Lae'zel acting like, "You coulda had this but you're too disagreeable" before the goofy Minthara sex scene. It was weird and out of nowhere.
© Larian Studios forums