Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
stranger
stranger
W
how demanding is fraps on the cpu? i have a pretty crappy computer 1.1Ghz, 576RAM and a 16MB video card. i already tried using hypercam and it wasnt able to record it at a good enough framerate. it wasnt even playable

Edit: and what about Gamecam?

Last edited by wasredskin92; 20/06/10 03:38 PM.
old hand
old hand
Ooops,witch bad word smile...but this computer is not good to make video's...too lack ram on motherboard and too lack on graficcard....and the cpu is also not the fastest.This is AGP-port for the videocard,isnt it?
Maybe u can try the game to play in lowest solutions like 640X480 ...but which way ever ,that an torture for this computer.

Wenn man die Meinung der Mehrheit teilt ist es Zeit sich zu besinnen
W
stranger
stranger
W
sadly enough the integrated graphics card is 8MB. i found an old 16MB one. i always wondered why my computer was a good enough processor and RAM to run certain games, but yet they wouldnt. then i saw i had an 8MB video card. i was.....amazed to say the least. i mean come onnnn haha. youd think a computer with a 1.1GHz (it was originally a 1.49GHz before the bios was flashed for some reason) would be new enough to have better graphics. i mean 8MB! it just blows my mind. its sad when you find an old 16MB card and its an improvement. on some website i found a 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, with i believe a 128MB video card (possibly a 256) for only around 120$. not amazing by todays standards, but it is for the price. unfortunately i dont have the money frown. and ive tried all kinds of settings with this computer. its just a dinosaur.

Edit: plus that computer can be upgraded to 2GB RAM with a cheap $22 memory stick. and i has a couple PCI slots to be upgraded more.

Last edited by wasredskin92; 22/06/10 06:33 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
8 MB ? Wow. And when I consider that modern games more often require at least 256, yet even more MB of RAM ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
W
stranger
stranger
W
yeah i know. pretty amazing. in a bad way. and scratch that other computer. once i get money soon im gonna build a 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, with a GeForce 9500 GT graphics card. which has 1GB video memory. all for about $250.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Keep in mind that Winxp and versions before that cannot handle much more that 2-3 GB of RAM.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 26/06/10 03:40 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
W
stranger
stranger
W
thanks. that computer would come with xp pro pre-installed, but is 1GB RAM originally. ill either upgrade to the best that the OS can handle it or just max it out and get vista or something

Support
Support

If you really, really want to stick with XP, then go ahead. If you decide or have to upgrade, get Windows 7, not Vista (64 bit is required for 4GB+ memory support, though you would need a 64 bit CPU as well).

Raze #414901 27/06/10 08:11 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
yeah, and i was thinking isnt there a 64-bit xp version?

Support
Support

There is a 64 bit version of XP, but from what I've heard it has pretty poor driver support.

Raze #414916 27/06/10 11:19 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
yeah that sounds about right. not a very popular OS to begin with, and new ones coming out after. must be basically obsolete

on another note how well does windows 7 do with gaming and multimedia? i dont know anything about it. im sure it requires more RAM because its 64 bit, but thats not really a problem since i can just buy some cheap memory.

Last edited by wasredskin92; 27/06/10 11:41 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
I have heard that several - especially older - games can have difficulties with any 64-version of W/OS.

Edit : And the so-called "xp mode" of Win7 just isn't designed for games. Dunno why.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 28/06/10 10:49 AM.

--Dilbert cartoon

W
stranger
stranger
W
thats what i was afraid of. but oh well. i guess i cant complain if i still have 3GB RAM with xp. thatll run games fine

Last edited by wasredskin92; 29/06/10 08:13 PM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
i finally got a much better computer and made a gameplay video. fraps is the only program that could record this old game correctly, and i dont have the full version, so i had to deal with 30 second clips. otherwise if people are interested id make a walk-through or something. here the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQ0PwXYkE8

Support
Support

Hey, 30 seconds is about how long I lasted when I tried the game. biggrin

Raze #436428 22/01/11 08:23 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
lol yeah its pretty difficult, especially for people just starting to play the game and have no idea what theyre doing. thats why i want to make a better video, since (as shown in the video) i can beat a couple mission within a few minutes

Raze #567418 22/07/15 10:33 AM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Raze

Someone PMed me a link for a fixed executable which solves the problem of not being able to use the mouse cursor to move the screen focus down in Windows XP (never tried it in Vista). There are 2 bytes changed in this file compared to the second patch executable.

Here is the link to the rar file at Rapidshare (165KB), and an alternate link as a zip file here (188KB).

SOOOO Its been so many years, I decided to go nostalgic and play a few of my old skool games on my XP Gamming rig, I have an new rig but i still keep my old one around for older games for just games only and playing Movies on it.

I just finished playing the entire Doom Collectors edition series and even got into the modding community for messing with WADs and all that fun stuff then Decided to get back into Larian Studios L.E.D... I completely forgot about this forum because I had so many things that came up in life that i had to focus on first..

I wish to extend my thanks to you Raze for this little patch because it cured the down scroll issue. I now can play the game again just like I did back in 2002 when I got it and played it on my old emachines 600 series... it had Windows ME...

I was like.. "Darn it.. the down scroll thing" LOL But I read this and popped that 2 byte change update in and it worked like a charm.. now I can enjoy it once again thanks to your efforts. And I didn't even know that Multiplayer was even still possible.. Maybe there's a patch for that or a seperate code to inject into the game to do multiplayer? If there is.. DO let me know id totally do a few RTS matches with anyone for the heck of it.

I Got into RTSing because of this game actually. its funny it was my first RTS game and then I went to Age of Empires (Very first one) and Cavedog entertainment's Total Annihilation (I have the Commanders edition that has everything including editors) And like so many DLCs that came after it even those made by community end coders and devs.

Theres a thing called TA Spring which I've always wanted to try but never got into it because ya know.. being an adult running a PC business and being engaged, well life catches on to you. But I have to be a kid at heart still now and then so these are my breaks.

I'm a Major Old Skool gammer born 1983 baby just a couple years before the NES was released.. .OH HAPPY DAYS..

Again thank you all for being awesome community !

P.S If those Patches ever fall off the net, hit me up in PM's and I will host the file my self. I do minecraft hosting services and DJ hosting services as a Hobby I'm a internet and locale DJ in Indiana aka DJ Screwloose Station Host name is Random00six (WFR6) wink

Brickstin #647778 04/08/18 01:59 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
I still come back to LED Wars every once in a while! As a matter of fact, after a particularly heavy binge of the game, I started modding it slightly. Just using a hex editor, it was quite tedious to make even the smallest of changes, but I don't know of any other options lol. It was easy to edit units and buildings, since those files have actual text at the start of each corresponding section, then changing unknown values through trial and error. I remember giving the Constructor a weapon, creating a mobile SSSAM (which was the top of a Rocket Launcher on the body of a Heavy Tank), and many other random tweaks.

My personal favorite was finding a way the change the resolution! Took forever, but I remember getting 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 to work. Only issue was that the HUD stayed at 640 x 480 in the top-left quadrant-ish, but this is definitely outweighed by the better FOV and the fact that high scroll speed doesn't make the game nearly unplayable. Here's a video with the higher resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpNscVByBQ

I also have some other videos showing the other tweaks I mentioned.
I haven't tried the game much on Windows 10, but I remember the toolbar with file, options, etc. stayed at the top of the screen while playing. This covered the amount of LED you have, which is rather important. At some point I might be interested in trying fixing this. If that's not possible, I could just swap the costs of everything between LED & seeds, with the possibility that it would break the AI. I'd also try to get 1920 x 1080 working lol.

Brickstin #647786 05/08/18 05:01 AM
Support
Support

up

Since you bumped the topic, I noticed/fixed the broken links above for the the patch and XP fix.

Brickstin #648092 18/08/18 10:16 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Huh, always forget that this one exists. Does anybody hold the rights on the game and why didn't it already get a release on GOG? I don't think it would be a bestseller, but I believe it would be hailed as kind of a rough gem,

I mean, Metal Fatique got published on GOG and nobody remembers Metal Fatique, except me laugh.

Last edited by Zelon; 18/08/18 10:17 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard