#355382 22/08/08 09:51 PM
T
thirion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
just like larian realishing div2, other new games show up >_>;
i found out blizzard posted their new wow expansion 2 intro movie.
here is the link:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/intro.xml

comments? :o

thirion #355427 23/08/08 11:57 AM
veteran
veteran
yeh seen it a while back, great cinematics offcourse, what else to expect by Blizzard...

I've also seen the Warhammer Online cinematic trailer, which looks sweet aswell.

It's one of these days...
Draghermosran #355496 24/08/08 09:39 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm very disapointed that every 'evil' character from the warcraft series suddenly becomes a killable object in the World of Warcraft. Having to deal with Illidan and Archimonde(although they did wrap up the Archimonde-story pretty well cause of the Caverns of Time) to get my Tier 6 armor was a big turn off for me, I'd rather see some new boss turn up which we can kill than having to kill those major characters over and over again.
Adding Arthas/the Lich King to this list was another great disapointment, but I will get the expansion anyway as the new Death Knight hero class intrigues me, just as the new Inscription-system does + an increased level cap.

isorun #355514 25/08/08 07:51 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by isorun
I'm very disapointed that every 'evil' character from the warcraft series suddenly becomes a killable object in the World of Warcraft. Having to deal with Illidan and Archimonde(although they did wrap up the Archimonde-story pretty well cause of the Caverns of Time) to get my Tier 6 armor was a big turn off for me, I'd rather see some new boss turn up which we can kill than having to kill those major characters over and over again.
Adding Arthas/the Lich King to this list was another great disapointment, but I will get the expansion anyway as the new Death Knight hero class intrigues me, just as the new Inscription-system does + an increased level cap.

Heh I never had any interest in the lore of WoW, I read it but hell... WoW feels like one big grind to me, quests aren't badly written but they have nothing of real consequence.

I feel like Blizzard just slaps everything of Lore they got around gameplay elements like how toddlers colour drawings, because they like the colour purple more and not because it makes sense to colour gras green... "We should do new dungeons... The Lich king is cool, let's use him".

Anyway, I just read quest objectives in WoW, doesn't really why I do them lorewise, cus I know when I'm 70, or 80... I'll kill the real badasses 2 times a day.

That's one of the things where WAR seems to attract my attention, questing doesn't seem merely a mechanic to level. But from what I hear, weather I play PvP or PvE its actually has some effect on the world.

But it all remains to be seen, first let a couple of hundred thousend ppl play it before I'll give it a chance.

Draghermosran #355516 25/08/08 08:18 AM
old hand
old hand
If Blizzard would have spend more attention to the lore of the game, the game would have been superb.
Then again, about 90% of the WoW players doesn't mind the lack of lore at all.

Anyone tried Age of Conan by chance? It looks like a really promising MMORPG, and I might be serious competition for WoW, even though it has very high system requirements.

isorun #355546 25/08/08 06:31 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by isorun
If Blizzard would have spend more attention to the lore of the game, the game would have been superb.
Then again, about 90% of the WoW players doesn't mind the lack of lore at all.

Anyone tried Age of Conan by chance? It looks like a really promising MMORPG, and I might be serious competition for WoW, even though it has very high system requirements.

tried it, it is indeed promising, but it lacks .... uhm .... hard to explain, It doesn't feel complete, doesn't feel like I'm working toward somewhere, that I have a reason to be that badass peasant turned into even badder arsed warrior. The game talks about war ofcourse, but you don't feel it. I could say the world feels thin.

The instancing doesn't help, and the new combat system gets old quickly. Visually its the best out there, but I don't think it can ever compete with WoW.

mmorpg's don't have to replace WoW, they don't have to improve WoW, they need a concept, something new that can get people hooked without comparing it with WoW. WoW is a very multi faceted game. And you just can't compete with it without taking a gigantic risk in expenses and time to create it.

If you can't release a game that is nearly as elaborate as WoW is, you won't be able to touch it. Not if it basicly the same game.

AoC's combat system isn't enough, it could have been much better implemented, but you can't change a core gameplay mechanic overnight. Spellweaving feels like a weak attempt to give caster classes something new aswell. But its all the same, except that you need to bash a little more buttons to get something done.

I'd like to have seen Assasins Creed combat system in AoC, combined with Dungeon Seige, Warhammer type leveling, the more you do a certain (trick) the better you become at it. Let's a move like parry and kick... the more you parry, and then kick an opponent the more effective it becomes. But you could aswell parry and stab, or disarm or whatever... Anyway, let's go buy a button to push on stays the excact same no matter how fancy your combat system is, if in the end you have to click the button you just bought. If you can't manage that, don't try and improve on the system mmorpg's today commonly use. Innovate something else.

Draghermosran #355617 26/08/08 08:50 PM
veteran
veteran
AoC was fun but the point that the game has no point is legit...the combat is fun, the graphics are great but once you hit level 80 there is absolutely nothing to do.

Its like they tried to make a WoW style scripted MMO and at the same time an open MMO like Shadowbane was. I was in a guild that played AOC opening day and the guild was super active for the first month with 30+ people on every night...since then the guild has died becuase of bugs, lack of content, and nerfs...

I think AoC just tried to be too many things...

And WoW sucks...

Draghermosran #355620 26/08/08 09:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Hmm, thanks for the heads-up about AoC, obviously not worth the monthly fee.(Another turn off for new MMORPG's, damn monthly fee's. Go Guild Wars!)

hmm, altough AC's combat is fine for single player uses, I doubt it would be of any use in multiplayer games. It's a rather basic system actually(that doesn't mean it's bad ofcours) but the lack of spells and special moves won't be interesting enough for the players IMO.
The Dungeon Siege type leveling would be an awesome feature, and it's very realistic too.

Having rewatched the intro videos from WoW, I realise that Blizzard actually puts a little bit of lore in the intro's(i.e. Arthas dad talking to him and the dragon you changed into a frostwyrm(can't recall his name) from warcraft 3). It's a shame that most players don't understand or care for the background stories.

isorun #355653 27/08/08 08:10 AM
veteran
veteran
I see great potential in AC's system for multiplayer.

Think Mortal Combat meets AC meets Dungeon Seige.

It boils down to two different actions:
- Defend
- Attack

while attacking is in its basic form just swinging a weapon, or slinging setting something on fire. More powerfull and complex attacks are combinations of simple basic things. For instance kick+stab = piercing your fallen opponent, kick+swing = behead an opponent as finishing moves, as mid-combat kick+stab = bleed your opponent, kick+swing = stun. But for casting classes a similar system: fire+stab = fireball, fire+swing = fire AOE, kick+fire = firewall.

Defending would be parrying with either a phsyical or magical shield (maybe tri, on more effective to physical attacks the other to magical attacks.

Loose a bit of AC's auto parry stuff, and add in collision detection instead of roll the dice damage dealing. Make staff/rod weapons or casters their weapon... not just a broomstick to knock an enemy on the head with once you've ran out of mana/ki/energy whatever. stab would joust the staff forward from wich the fireball erupts, kick would knock the but of the staff on the ground, in earth magic this equals earthquake which has a stun effect. And if your broomstick happens to hit someone doing this, even more (but little) extra damage.

I've read many fantasy books lately, and hey there is enough (popular) lore out there where you have all kinds of agile melee warriors and spellslingers that would fit just fine in this system.

So hey... make my wet mmorpg dreams come true wink

Draghermosran #355737 28/08/08 06:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Check out Darkfall...it may never actually release...I have been on their forums for 4 years or something but supposedly they are "getting close." If this game delivers what it promises to it will be the best MMO to date. Now I have played...a half dozen or so MMOs and that is always a big if, but this game has potential. Background lore but no player storyline. PC run economy/crafting. Player run cities and kingdoms with systems to tax and whatnot...This looks incredible...hopefully it is.

www.darkfallonline.com

NeroJB #355743 28/08/08 08:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NeroJB
Check out Darkfall...it may never actually release...I have been on their forums for 4 years or something but supposedly they are "getting close." If this game delivers what it promises to it will be the best MMO to date. Now I have played...a half dozen or so MMOs and that is always a big if, but this game has potential. Background lore but no player storyline. PC run economy/crafting. Player run cities and kingdoms with systems to tax and whatnot...This looks incredible...hopefully it is.

www.darkfallonline.com

Yeah noticed DF a while back, it would indeed be briliant if its released as promised.

Draghermosran #355905 01/09/08 08:40 AM
old hand
old hand
If it gets released, but it will be a long time especially when they are taking their time.
I am pro this if it gets released though. wink

Yeah, but anyway, Age of Conan by funcom was something else.
Age of Failure by Failcom which i dub thee. I shall begin with this was IIRC my first mmorpg I played & payed at release date. The game was stunning for the first island which had all voice narratives etc. The massive level of bugs and the non existent technical support on the forums was to be desired. The only ones that responded on the tech forums were trolls that had their gaming working 100%. Now mind you My problem was after the third patch i was working perfectly at 25 fps high all around etc. Around the time the thrid patch hit i just had left the island to continue with the game to the big city which is sorta like org or lag'ra'marr for wow reference. My main pleasure which i derived from this game was pvp and griefing. I played as the guardian at the time cause i thought he would be a decent killing machine with a polearm. What happened was that not all the classes are balanced in this pvp game, so i still killed but lets just say i guess role mechanics are more important then balancing as in tank, dps and heals. That wasn't the major problem though. The problem was that "all" melee classes have to perform button combos in order for them to execute any special ability at all. A guardian for example had to push on the key board 1, then 2, then 3 or a mix between the 3 buttons. These had to be pushed while standing still. Not only that but sometimes the keys you pushed wouldn't register in the game so you had to push them hard and solid and a tad slower as opposed to smashing 1 key one thousand times before you continued with your combo.

Magic users didn't have to go through this BS to kill their opponents.
They had to push just one button...one small key......not to mention that the guardians charge ability to close distance and attack mages and other ranged users was bugged and seldom worked.

so far in my rant we covered pvp, which im quite not done yet oh no im not. In wow your use to a combat stun for like 6 secs??? in AOC you will run across in combat stuns against you for around 25 secs. Thats 25s, count very slowly its a big deal, some classes had this ability such as the ranger, i can't quite remember the exact name or name of the ability.

-Pvp Imbalance

Now the game has min specs and recommended specs. I was about in the middle for the sake of this rant. I or my computer like many of the posters on the forums got the out of memory error. Your wonder wtf is an out of memory error? Well some argued it was liked to the memory leak in the game which involved the shaders etc. Regardless a lot of us had it, I had it and it wasn't being fixed or ever fixed by the client side Failcom's end. Infact the thread was and i guess is still unstickied at this point. There are several trolls that keep using the temp fix to change code in winvista 32 to allow programs to use more memory then the cap which is set at 2 gigs etc IIRC. Well in either case its not being taken care of and I ended my account after the first month. I shouldn't be having these problems if i passed the min requirements to play the game, maybe horrible frame rates but not crash to desktop ctd's because of a memory leak that the company refuses to fix when someone unstickies a topic after its been stickied for about 3 weeks or more you can say thats a big statement.

-Client Unstable ex memory leak and some other bugs

Your asking yourself what they have been fixing instead of the glaring issues at hand which affect a lot of customers? They fixed freckles so they appear on faces now, and fixing the IIRC siege warfare. IIRC at the time they also fixed so you won't be stuck in instances anymore...instances..i didn't mention that yet.

Yeah so your use to one whole world or so as ONE instance per realm, again i ref wow as i have no other popular ref for the web community. Yes in AOC they have 9938938 instances of the the same city, same dungeon, that is 309389278 instances of wailing caverns or 9872927 instances of undercity etc. You try to group up with someone to tackle an instance together and have a good time, yeah but they are in instance 8b.... 8B!!! your in instance 3w too bad you wasted 3 hours of your time in instance 3w waiting and looking for them. Then on top of that the avg player might not know to look at the top right of the screen click several times and change their instance.

-hard to group and raid instances with others
-hard to meet in cities to trade with one another because of instances of cities

What was exciting about aoc? Aoc was fresh and it promised something different, and it was, but it was empty and buggy.

so besides the M rating which means you get to see ....what just boobs thats it, yeap everything else is M++++9000k rating, but I didn't buy the game for the m rating, though it is a plus.

Suppose we shouldn't end it at the boobs on the screen which you don't have to worry about encountering anyway, because A: you can't see them if they are covered in armor and B: There aren't taverns with Dancers, there is nothing. So M rating = a joke, but the esrb board IIRC and society are a joke so whatever. Whats nice though was there was hardly any fear of consequence of offending anyone. The universal chat, was empty most of the time out of luck or unlucky because why???

BECAUSE OF THE INSTANCES!!! all the populated active instances with people having fun, discussing making merry and having a jolly oh freaking time where on instance 2r and you are all by yourself in a pvp server/ realm which is the same as everyone else but your on instance 5xw!

-so much for activity

You didn't have to worry about being reported for just about anything like in wow though, A lot more is accepted and your given more free reign. If you run across a problem with someone else you handle it like an adult instead of breaking down in tears and reporting another user cause you were too sensitive.

It was a lot of fun to grief though, you could get a lot of laughs out of watching someone else run someone down and slaughter them 4 or 7 times from a distance. Then there is being involved which works both ways. Its a pvp server and before it got carebear nerfed and before the oom out of memory error affected me much i had a really good time in pvp at low levels.

+griefing and player humor
+more free political reign in expression??

so for fun heres a link to the oom error topic for you to get some laughs out of the poor people that still pay for that game. Remember that you have to pay for the game in order to reply or respond in the threads thats why there isn't much negative feed back cause everyone that had negative feed back stopped paying so they couldn't post.

http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=29257

now WAR comes sept 19, and i already preordered

but i'll save that for another post, since this one is large enough as it is

Last edited by Virgo_Bluefire; 01/09/08 08:49 AM.

This is SpArTa!! oh im sorry, I must have took a wrong turn..somewhere...(runs away)
veteran
veteran
Virgo I dont like you anymore...ganking is weak, pshh... suspicion

NeroJB #356033 03/09/08 08:05 AM
veteran
veteran
Ganking is a result of poor game-design

world PvP in a PvE oriented game is just stupid... ppl are bastards, don't give grievers a change, or give others a reason to deal with the grievers. Bottom line world PvP without any risk vs reward will always in end up in a huge gank/grief fest.

Draghermosran #356038 03/09/08 02:23 PM
old hand
old hand
I almost always ignore players who are fighting pve mobs when I'm looking for some player killing(unless it's someone who killed me while I was doing PvE :p). I also only attack players who are at almost full health/mana(unless ofcours they attacked me first) and when someone politly asks to stop, I will. At least I stick to these rules when I'm playing on PvP servers cause there are no other ones avaible(I have not yet encountered any PvE private WoW servers)

isorun #356043 03/09/08 04:07 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
What is "ganking" ?

I know what gank-killers in the Star Wars universe are ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
What is "ganking" ?

I know what gank-killers in the Star Wars universe are ...

Killing a (weaker) player while he is questing and doesn't show interest in PvP at that time.

Grieving is a step further and doing this over and over again to a helpless player.

Draghermosran #356056 03/09/08 09:20 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Ah, now I understand where the name of General Grievous might come from ... wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
T
thirion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
no. ganking come from the word gangking. it means that a group of people attacking 1 enemy..
it usualy beign used in a pvp term, when a group of people kill 1 (poor) guy.
gangking is also can be called to when a group of people kill a strong monster, but thats just named "raiding".

"Killing a (weaker) player while he is questing and doesn't show interest in PvP at that time"
is called "PK". which means player killer. its a term for strong people who kill weak people for their own fun, beign an assholes more alike.
this option exist in many games, that have a "PK system". which allow you to attack other people out of no-where.
in world of warcraft the Pk system exist in a pvp servers. when you meet players from the opposite union (horde-alliance). in other servers (like rp), the enemy has to agree for a duel, to be PKed.
---
also, when some one strong Pk some other guy, and wait for him in the spawning zone to kill him over and over again. that is called "PK Farming".
it's a reason to inform a GM (game master) about it. and if that dont help, try to avoid every way, and if that dont help- leave the game for 1-2 hours till he go away.

Last edited by thirion; 04/09/08 12:28 AM.
thirion #356073 04/09/08 08:08 AM
old hand
old hand
these two links should clear everything up up

here & here

This is SpArTa!! oh im sorry, I must have took a wrong turn..somewhere...(runs away)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard