Originally Posted by -Elena-
The best:

- Divine Divinity + DD2 Ego Draconis
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Morrowind

The worst:
- The Witcher

The game itself wasn't too bad, but not really suited for female gamers smile

I think its mean to classify the witcher the worst just because theirs no female character choice. :p.

Anyways, I love all good RPGS, from action, tactical, turnbased. It's hard to classify one better then another, when their just so many great stories, gameplay mechanics, and just different style of gameplay.

If there's no quest or no loot, don't talk to me!
stranger
stranger
okay, my twopennorth:

Mass effect 2 (including downloadeable addons)..superb
Gothic 3, luv'd all the quests and their tie-ins to eachother between cities.

just started Gothic 4 Arcania, is visually beautiful on PC
just downloaded Divinity 2, is also visually beautiful and will prob play alongside G4,,(should be interesting..!)

S
stranger
stranger
S
1 The Witcher
2. Divninty 2 The dragon knight saga
3. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
4. SaGa Frontier
5 Fallout NewVegas

gothica 4 had a good overall story but the voices are garbage and the communication between people is pretty dull. And the story ends abruptly. The gameplay was rather nice but really there was no extra moves or anything special. this game took about 4 days of 2-5 hrs of gameplay to beat.

Divinity dks was pretty well polished for a small studio. The voices were good enough and the dialog was good although there seemed to be a few errors in the dialog.

Last edited by Sinper420; 04/12/10 03:22 PM.
stranger
stranger
Hmmm... I'd say:

Mass Effect 2 (with add-ons)
Dragon Age (with all the add-ons)
Fallout New Vegas
Divinity 2 DKS
Elder Scrolls Morrowind (with add-ons)
Fable 3

Not in that order but their the best I've played so far, I have a few more but the list would be to long lol laugh

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'd say:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dragon Age
Divinity 2: DKS
Fable 1/2/3
Fallout 3

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
stranger
stranger
To top it tight..

ragnarok ragnarok
แร็คเถื่อน แร็คเถื่อน
journeyman
journeyman
BG series.

That is all.

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
veteran
veteran
For me:
The Divinity series forever and ever !

... followed by other RPG's ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
A
veteran
veteran
A
Drakensang 2.
Because it's rather playing a role than playing (a) combat.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Drakensang 2.

I've seen you mention Drakensang 2 a lot and I must say you've got me curious! smile

I'm still not sure whether I should buy the English version or try it in the original German. Right now, I'm leaning to German.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
addict
addict
Dig-Dug, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Pong, Tempest, Rubix Cube, Checkers and Dominoes

EDIT : Hang-Man

EDIT 2 : Rock-Paper-Scissors (and my favorite) Guess Which Hand

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 22/04/11 05:13 PM.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Macbeth
Drakensang 2.

I've seen you mention Drakensang 2 a lot and I must say you've got me curious! smile

I'm still not sure whether I should buy the English version or try it in the original German. Right now, I'm leaning to German.

I don't know, but it could be that it might bore you - since it isn't an Action-RPG, and looting just isn't one of its goals ... Its main focus is really the *Story* ...

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
1. Oblivion
2. Dragon Age Origins and Awakening (NOT DA2. Hate Da 2)
3. DKS
4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
5. Assassin's Creed series

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
I don't know, but it could be that it might bore you - since it isn't an Action-RPG, and looting just isn't one of its goals ... Its main focus is really the *Story* ...

Which is precisely what I like!

Don't get me wrong, combat can be fun in a tactical way like in Baldur's Gate etc. or action-packed like Divinity II, but it's been a long time since I played an RPG that really focuses on story. That's why your description of Drakensang 2 piqued my interest.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
A
veteran
veteran
A
That's why I don't like Drakensang 1 not as much as Drakensang 2 ... Although DRASA 1 isn't a bad game either. It just has more combat in it.

I just wish there would be a rather story-driven game for the Divinity universe as well - but I accept and understand the current decisions to make them more action-focused.

And that's why I loked FOV (which I tested in May, remember ?) much more than the main game.

In my case, it seems to be a matter of taste, really.

And if you take away all of this "dark & gritty" stuff of Dragon Age 1, then - from this perspective - it's a very nice, story-drivn game, too, imho.

And regarding this story stuff : There's currently a pure adventure game for TDE in development : "Satinav's Chains".
Apart from the darker nd much more action-focused game of "Demonion", which is in development for TDE also.
Both take place in Aventuria, but the known screenshots of "Satinav's Chains" (German : "Satinavs Ketten") are far too dark for my taste.

Too often I feel like a real Alien here in Gaming, because I do love those light-hearted settings and colours - but nobody does them anymore ... At least not here in Europe, and most certainly not with the overall influence of the DRagon Age series on the whole genre ...

I expect ( ! ) the whole RPG genre becoming kind of flooded with Dragon Age clones - and I mean the art direction. More dark, more gritty, more mature (whatever this means . I'm 41 now and I don't like this "mature" stuff at all, just because I want to *relax* from real-life affairs when I play a gme and hate it when real-life themes are dawn into games - that's why I like love Maniac Mansion, for example).

I fear and expect the whole RPG genre become "flooded" or/and at least heavily influenced by the art direction of Dragon Age 1.
People will - I fear - EXPECT role-playing games to be as dark and as gritty as possible - they'll HATE games which are light-hearted, I fear ... And even worse : I fear that the youngsters mong the players of hese "D&G" gmes ("D&G" = "dark & gritty", an abbreviation I developed last year)will call the playrs of light-hearted and colourful game "whiners" and "losers" and so on - regardless of age. That's why I often throw in my *real* age of 41 ... The older the people are, the more respect hey get ...

And this is my current theory on the PC as a gaming platform : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061062585&postcount=30

And if you of Larian want to become really famous for a really long, long, long time, then do a turn-based strategy game ! - Because that's what just in't there, currently. The fans of TBS games are thirsting for it.
The only *real* poblem ould be to find publisher for it ...

The other thing totally missing is space flight sims. The X series is currently seemingly the only one avilable. That's a real "drought" as well.

Ad I don't mention Jump & Run games becue I'm not sure anyon would play them nowdays - but since the casual games mrket is insnely lacking true creativity right now, I see potential there, if someone managed to sweep away the whole market with a REALLY COOL product ...

And here's a imho very good analysis of the casual games market, albeit in German language (but there are good translation programs out thre already) : http://www.makinggames.de/index.php/magazin/825_casual_in_der_sackgasse

Key sentence there (manually translated by me) :

"The design of casual games is dictated by business plans, not by the willingness for risks and creativity, because the publishers are schockingly spineless regarding experiments. The network of the casual business with its peripheral [?], individual developer teams should be a source of immense creativity. Instead the finance-strong gatekeeprs use/utilize their whole force/power for phase/synchronize [?] its acteurs [the developing teams]."

Das Design von Casual-Spielen wird von Wirtschaftsplänen bestimmt, nicht von Risikobereitschaft und Kreativität, denn die Publisher sind schockierend feige gegenüber Experimenten. Das Netzwerk der Casualbranche mit ihren dezentralen, individuellen Entwicklerteams müsste eine Quelle immenser Schöpfungskraft sein. Stattdessen richten die finanzkräftigen Torwächter ihre ganze Kraft darauf, die Akteure gleichzuschalten.

This isn't only the main problem in the casual games market, ut also in the complete PC games market, and tht's one of the reasons I speak of the PC platform as a "degenerated platform".

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 23/04/11 11:17 AM.

--Dilbert cartoon

old hand
old hand
Dragon Age isn't really dark, gritty or mature, though. It's generic fantasy with gratuitous horror & violence thrown in.

addict
addict
the second one is.

The first one I acutally liked.

veteran
veteran
I just wish Drakensang 2 would get a proper UK release. Everything I hear about it makes me want to play it.

Please click the banner...
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by virumor
Dragon Age isn't really dark, gritty or mature, though. It's generic fantasy with gratuitous horror & violence thrown in.

Maybe. But I expect it to be a role-model for "D&G" games.

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
I think Alrik's likely right, unfortunately. It's a sad fact that an awful lot of people look at a game that earned immense popularity and draw all the wrong conclusions as to why.

DA:O features some very well crafted companions, some of whom you can have relationships with. And you have to build those relationships carefully through dialogue, shared experience and the giving of suitable gifts. But you know what far too many people will see? "OMG! Bioware included SEX!!! And it SOLD!!!" No noting of the careful build of relationships. No looking at just how well crafted the characters of the companions are. Nope. All down to sex, you can bet...

Possibly most depressing of all, even Bioware don't seem to understand what they actually created with DA:O, which is why the huge negative reaction from many DA:O fans over DA2, which has apparently learned all the wrong lessons...

DA:O was successful because it was basically 'Baldur's Gate 3', but with the basic idea updated for a modern audience. It was the story and the characterisation that made it what it was and the rest was pretty much incidental to its success, IMO. I very strongly doubt that anyone at all played it purely for the fighting.

But everyone will have their own take on why DA:O worked. For a lot of people, the reasons will likely include 'dark' or 'grim & gritty', and people in the industry who think that will make games more 'grim & gritty' because they assume that is what works.

Now personally, I don't care if a game is 'grim & gritty' or 'prim & pretty' - I just want believable characters and a good, well plotted story that makes sense. I suspect I am not alone...

Please click the banner...
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard