Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hi All,
Seeing as there is a lack of reviews online, I ‘one customer’ shall review the game from my point of view, how ever before I begin I’d like to quickly write a brief description about myself.

I’m 17 I’m a hardcore gamer (as in I play video games for a hobby) I’m not one of those hardcore gamers that think they’re the best and whatnot, I’m of average skills with video games (most likely), I enjoy all sorts of genres but of course my favorite genre is RPG’s and I have been playing video games since 11 or 12 and my first game was a web based game called runescape. I didn’t really enjoy the old playstation 2 nor the old xbox and I didn’t start buying games until the new generation came around.

The Review – Goes to Sassan my love

Alas another RPG game for the consoles, when the game was announced I didn’t really pay much attention to any news of the game I was however looking forward to it as it was one of the suppose to be many RPGs to hit the consoles. Unfortunately some of the games have either be cancelled or delayed to further notice (such as dungeon hero, dungeon maker, elveon and the witches) and this game I considered might get the same treatment.

Larian Studios are the developers for divinity 2: Ego Draconis, they are based in Belgian and even though they haven’t created many games they still have delivered the few games amazingly.
As you may have guessed already the name ‘Ego Draconis’ is Latin for “I, of the dragon” which is cleverly put as sub title of the game.
I haven’t played Divine Divinity (YET), as both games are set in the land of Rivellon the story goes ‘Many thousands of years ago, those who sat on Council of Seven in the magic land Rivellon sacrificed themselves in the fight against a group of treacherous magicians, who had passed over to the dark side of magic. To remember the Council of Seven, the "Divine Order" was founded to pass on the knowledge of the wise men to the next generations.
Two thousand years later, signs such as civil unrest, war, hatred and greed indicate that the dark side has become strong again and that they're preparing a new attack on Rivellon.
The prophecies of the wise men had mentioned a divine savior of the Seven Races. This person shall be found and blessed in a secret ceremony before he or she falls into the enemy's hands, but it all happens in the Land of Divinity.’ (from Wikipedia entry)
The new story ‘Rivellon, a magical and timeless world populated by humans and fantastic creatures. Once beautiful, Rivellon is now shattered by the apocalyptic wars of the past. The war seemed to be over, but the peace was deceptive.
Players begin as a Dragon Slayer, hunters who travel the countryside, determined to rid their lands of dragons.’ (from Wikipeida entry)
As soon as you select ‘new game’ from the main menu (which I have to say looks fancy and draws you into playing the game) you have a cinematic intro that doesn’t give much away, you then get to choose between a man or women (there’s not a huge customization with how your character looks but it shouldn’t be a big deal!) you also get to name your ‘hero’. Then begins the game, with another cinematic intro that starts and leads into the game itself, you start off as ‘the new person’ you then head towards the first small city and this is where you become a ‘dragon slayer’ and you take it upon yourself to choose what class you want to be (Warrior/Mage/Archer isn’t a massive deal what you pick).
Once you have done all this you head to what I consider the next big city called ‘Broken village’ and you finally begin your own adventure, from here you’ll explore do a lot of side quests in order to level up your character, you’ll kill creatures and advance in the game itself.
Each of the locations you go to have ‘outstanding visuals’ which quite honestly took me away as I didn’t think they would be all that, along with the great cinematics that appear as you progress which are more than welcomed.
When you start to level up you can customize your character into different paths where you not limited to one path so you can make a hybrid instead of going for one class, though I’d say it’s wise not to make your main character a hybrid but to play around with the different choices that you have.

To accompany you along your adventures you’ll have a little pet known as ‘creature’ that you’ll be able to summon at a cast of half your mana, he for sure does help when you’re outnumbered.

You’ll be pushing the jump button often to doge attacks and for much fun, like jumping from high building only to hit the ground and not die.

Most of the time you’ll be side-questing for experience (items/gold) as you can’t expect to win a fight if enemies are two or three levels higher than you and on that, enemies don’t re-spawn so there is no farming for a higher level. When you do eventually kill an enemy the reward is satisfying enough. The loot in the game is very random but surely you’ll be able to get some great gear though there’s not a huge range.

If however you do die you’re going to have wished that you had saved the game prior to your characters death, as this is the penalty for dying though it isn’t that tough on people who do die it is frustrating if you forgot to save and have to go back to a save file that could be a few hours before.

Towards the middle-end of the game you’ll be greeted with two things, your battle-tower aka your castle where you have your own servants this itself has its purposes and of course the main element of the game your dragon form which defiantly species the game up.

Let’s talk dragon form shall we? How long have I waited to become one really? Far too long but this game delivers this game play element which is of course is enjoyable (not like the game lair) with ease as you take your fight to the sky.
All this as the game is finally wrap up in humor- that will have you in ties, puzzles - that will keep you on your feet and a story that has its beginning, middle, end and a twist in which you sure want forget.

Last edited by SaveMeJeebus; 11/12/09 06:28 PM.
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
So far so lovely jubilee? It’s time to talk about the few drawbacks. (by the time I got to this part I forgot about the drawbacks of the game in the review :S)

The Good – (in no particular order)
The city names and NPC names are all great and well thought of.
Humor
Combat (easy to use)
Visuals
Environment
Cut scenes
Monsters
Story
Some voice over
Fish in water pop out
Jumping from high and landing without scratches
Battletower
Dragon form
Load times = fast
Exploring is fun and rewarding
Puzzles
Good armour & weapon enchanting/enhancement system
Good character development
Good alchemy system
Interesting names used (cities/equipment)
Side-questing always enjoyable
Dungeons/Caves

The not so good but not bad… (in no particular order)
Voice over isn’t that bad but don’t expect top notch (still enjoyable)
Equipment isn’t spectacular not a huge variety, not big on looks
No run button, walking is boring
Frustrating not knowing where to go for side quests
Very few moral choices
Very few solutions for questing
In dragon form you can only kill in air enemies and none ground enemies (is understandable) + repetitveness
Countdown for the wizard to read spell far too easy should have had more of this
In the game are choices and consequences
When you hit barrels or boxes the pieces go flying off into the air before they disappear

The Bad (in no particular order)
Once well towards the end of the game you’ll most likely be killing everything far too easy and not having much challenge (Magician)

Improvements (in no particular order)
Horse to get around faster
More customization to your creature
More variety for higher levels *cough*
More variety of equipment
Could have had a cinematic to the ‘past’
In dragon form would have been interesting for a big one on one dragon fight/flight
Protecting the wizard whilst he reads the spell this could have been used in other situations to make the game even more great
Improvement on the Dungeons/Caves
More puzzles
As a dragon to be able to glide along the water/swing enemies via your dragon tail maybe even eat a few guys
More creature parts
day/night cycles

8 Presentation
The history seemed to lack a bit, but the story that drives us through the game keeps me satisfied, with that everything else is all done in the right way

9 Graphics
What can I say? I was really impressed and completely unexpected

7.5 Sound
The voice over isn't top-notch but the humor is there and 'nicely' created atmosphere

9 Game play
Deserves a 9 for the combat and the flight of the dragon went hand in hand

8.5 Lasting Appeal
I can see why one might come back to the game as a new build but take it easy after all your first play through lasts over 30 hours

8 Story
Without giving it away the main story is defiantly there and spectacular

8.5 Overall
I'm happy giving this game an overall score of 8.5 as its possible not appreciated as what it should be

Closing comments: I’m blown away by this game didn’t expect it to turn at so great in more ways than one. I thank the creators for what they have done a fantastic job and should be proud of what they have created hopefully the game hasn’t gone unnoticed by the public... I’m sure the US will look forward to this game January.
This is defiantly a somewhat feel of Sacred 2 and what Fable could have been… Surely Fable 3 has token the battle tower idea.
I played as a Magician for anyone wondering, completed it at level 33 followed raven’s advice making a few changes, completed game 17 hours (more like 30 as I had to load from a save more than once).
Whilst writing this review I must have gone back over it half a dozen of times to add something I missed, most likely I have missed stuff hopefully someone will point at to me.

Not every game is perfect; this is just my two cents.

Last edited by SaveMeJeebus; 11/12/09 06:28 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A dragon riding a horse?... I don't see it happening.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard