Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Is it worthwhile to use mindreading a lot. I reload when I get 'nothing' out of it. But I do save whenever it gives clues to a purse, weapon or the likes. But is it perhaps better to let most secrets go? As it does come at the cost of a lot of xp.

journeyman
journeyman
Mindreading gives you some nice items at times. To avoid the save/reload before mindreading: just look at the cost. Let's say you are in Broken Valley and the average mindread is 66 EXP, then you mindread someone and it costs like 125 EXP, then that's when you should try it.
Also, you can get skill points and stats points by mindreading.

Save/reload is the same as 'cheating' in my book. smile

Use mindreading wisely and it will payoff for you.

Last edited by Conan 1; 01/01/10 10:47 PM. Reason: tried typing with pizza in hand

ASUS M3N72-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane @ 3GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 Dual Ch. Corsair
ASUS GeForce 9800GT 512MB x2 SLI
Win7 64bit or XP Pro x64
Mindreading the big dragon dude for 400xp gives you some badass helmet but some people asking for 800xp give nothing but "i left my tumble-dryer on"

stranger
stranger
Yeah I'll see someone that a mindread would cost like 1400 xp, and I think to myself wow I bet thats something good, but I'm afraid to do it cause thsts a lot of xp. But then I'm afraid I'm missing out on something too. And with limited xp its a big gamble....

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?-Mithrandir(J.R.R. Tolkien)
S
stranger
stranger
S
suggestion - it's cheating. wink

quick save or save the game
mindread to see what they say - if the outcome is worth it [reward], then continue on
else restore the saved game.

Same rule applies to chests - some chests randomly generate a reward. you can quick save the game, open a chest, look at reward - if it's something you like, continue on. If it's not, restore save and keep trying until you find something you like.

I just mindread someone for 2,400xp and they gave a password to a nearby chest. inside was a 2h sword with 19-59 dmg and 14-32 magical lmfao

i hit like 120 with it and im a ranger laugh

F
stranger
stranger
F
Don't worry about XP, mindread everything that moves

Every time I was offered a quest reward choice that had XP, I took it because I was worried I wouldn't have enough

Also, every time I could mind-read I did, even the "I left my tumble drier on" ones and did not reload

I ended the game with the final mobs unable to harm me, I could stand there and wait for fireball to regen then one hit the entire room. I had 8 or so skill points that had no decent skills left to spend on

Basically, you have plenty of XP to mindread. It only seems like your XP is tight at the very beginning

stranger
stranger
That's good to know. I've never played a game with limited xp gain, so I have been really worried about it.... And as far as saving and loading with chests and mindreading, I don't really think of it as cheating, but I think it takes away from the game a lil so I don't do it.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?-Mithrandir(J.R.R. Tolkien)
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Good to know. From now on i'll try to pick up all mindreads that give something for now. ^__^

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard