Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
After a lucky coincidence now I'm able to play D2.

After throwing away D2 fot not smashing it away in frustration, I installed Kotor2, which was ever smooth anytime I tryed to play it.

Unexpectedly I encountered graphic issues (beside the little trick for widescreen) and I discovered that for AMD dual core you have to install the AMD Dual core Optimization.

Afterward I tried again (yes I'm a masochist) and now all goes perfect. The issue I was experiencing was the game freezing, all keep working but everything didn't move (ppl run in place etc.).

I never installed AMDDCO and never had to install it for other games, so I think this could be put in first aid or something similar. Maybe it could help someone having my similar issue.

Sorry if it has already been posted. Just wanted you to know...

old hand
old hand
Cheers, will add it to the first aid post!

Tweeting @forktong
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by S0ulr34ver
After a lucky coincidence now I'm able to play D2.

I never installed AMDDCO and never had to install it for other games, so I think this could be put in first aid or something similar. Maybe it could help someone having my similar issue...

Ya I was actually installing the AMD DCO when I found this today hope it does the same on my gtx 285 sc, that keeps jumping between 2D clock speeds and 3D. My dual boot Win7 and XP-SP3 has no problems on XP but this problem is on Win7.

Hopefully it works...though I find it funny that dual core optimization is not built into game since dual core is recommended, AMD dual core even. I'm thinking it's something else and the optimizer might mask it.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Well, as soon as I logged in I know I needed the AMD optimizer. FPS have trippled in game at 60, since I first got game the fps were only hanging around 20-30 and went as low as 6, now I can't get them below 40.

So hopefully it gets rid of the crashing, locking up, and chopiness of the game.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Nope, the worst crash ever, crashed everything, rebooted PC. But I didn't reboot after installing optimizer, ooops, maybe.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Yes, after installing the Optimizer I rebooted... But as I said, the game never crashed to me, it only kept freezing after 5 minutes of play (the luckiest way) or even at the main menu just as the game was started.
Other thing the Optimizer gave me was a better graphic. During those 5 mins of play, the graphic seemed, how to say... well just as if a picture is digitally zoomed in, some kind of raw and not-so-well-defined graphic. Now it is perfect, medium settings accordingly.

As long as I'm -crossfingers- speaking now, the game runs smoothly...

Btw these are my spec:

XP-SP3 32
Amd Dual 4800+
MoBo Asus M2N
2GB DDR2 800 Kingston
ATI HD4850

B
stranger
stranger
B
ok all seems pretty good after making these changes/selections in game graphics...

Extreme settings

Screen Space AntiLiasing Off
Timeslice animations update Off
Timeslice Shadow update On

Since the AMD optimizer reboot/crash I only did these few things and it isn't even a little choppy on my windows 7, so far. Though my NVidia On Screen Display isn't showing at all and Fraps is. Should be the same on vista.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by S0ulr34ver
so I think this could be put in first aid or something similar

Originally Posted by ForkTong
Cheers, will add it to the first aid post!

Calm down, ForkTong :P Many ppl from "Never ending loading screen. 100% of the time" thread reported that DCO does not affect the game at all. Same for sluttering. So, it is like another 'press numpad 5" solution, which works just for someone.

journeyman
journeyman
Yes, we have many discussions on the AMD DCO in various threads. This is old news and not a fix for all.

As I have stated before, the AMD DCO is not for win 7, which optimizes the cores already.

ASUS M3N72-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane @ 3GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 Dual Ch. Corsair
ASUS GeForce 9800GT 512MB x2 SLI
Win7 64bit or XP Pro x64
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Well... sorry for this... Since it's the only change between the last failed installation of D2 (Italian version patched to 1.03 of course) and this one that I'm playing whit, I assumed that, for people with my spec and issue (freezing, not the stuttering or crashing), this could be the solution or at least a little help...

Since December 23 I was trying to play D2. When I saw I was able to play it, I rushed here enthusiasticly hoping to help some unfortunate buyer like me...

Better next time ^_^

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kein
Calm down, ForkTong :P Many ppl from "Never ending loading screen. 100% of the time" thread reported that DCO does not affect the game at all.

Never ending loading screen: patch 1.03 should fix this. If not, lemme know.

IMHO, DCO should be installed if you have a dual core AMD, whether it helps Div2 or not. It's an official "cpu driver", so I'm adding it to the first aid kit. Weird solutions like "run windows media player in the background and dance around naked to the sweet tunes of Dvorak while loading", I will not include wink

Tweeting @forktong
veteran
veteran
DCO is actual only for old XP versions. Since XP SP3 the issue was fixed.
It is not required in Vista and Win7 (also, it wasn't updated in years).

P.S. Somehow, AMD drivers for CPU make me laugh hard :P

old hand
old hand
I remember having to install a "cpu driver" for my AMD Thunderbird years ago, so it's not a surprise smile

Tweeting @forktong

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard