Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Astara Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
How do I uninstall the latest patch that was 'installed'? It seems to have messed things up in more than one way, mostly minor gameplay things that might have been considered balancing, but seemed 'off' to what I remembered from last playthrouh -- BUT

I came to, literally, a game-stopper.

Finished the 1st part, got crystallized (why oh why don't you follow lead of other games and allow user to press a key to skip through all that long monotonous dialogue...it was BAD the first time, but multiple times... ARG!

Anyway -- it goes through all that and now crashes -- and the only thing that is different is that new patch.

I had *JUST* shown the startup scene to a friend no more than a few weeks ago (probably what got me thinking about a replay)....when I got news of the update. I installed that and now I can't continue the game from Part-I -> Part II.

Continue keeps putting me back at my last saved at various steps toward end of game, including
before fighting the folks in Ygrna's (sp?) mind and now, (I think -- haven't tried continuing from there yet) just *after* the fight (in the half-second after Zand. is dead and before she starts talking)...

But been through that scene twice now, and all it does now is 'crash'....

It will play the 'intro' video and Zand will put up his barrier, but crashes before going into the bit showing the demon coming into the hypernia? (whatever), the screen blinks == ALOT, and then
'the windowsmessage: divinity2.exe has stopped working'....

So how do I get back a working version?

This is unexpectedly sucky! ;-(

Shows me for trying to replay the game (coming off of let-down with DragonAge-II -- too short & expensive: they ported it to a new game engine and ran out of time, so dropped about 60% of the features/detail that was in DA-I... many were displeased....so went back to try this DivII:DKS, and now this...

*much worse*...

Help!!?

What files are patched? How can I get back to a pre-patched version? (even if I have to reinstall from orig download for dks, still have that)...retail, version, running on Win7-64.

Thanks,
Astara

Last edited by lynn; 06/04/11 02:45 PM.
Support
Support

AFAIK there is no way to just uninstall the patch; you'll need to uninstall the game (then reboot, make sure there is nothing left in the Divinity 2 folder, shut down all non-essential programs) and then reinstall the game to revert to an earlier version. However, saves made in the patched version may not be compatible with an earlier game version (don't know if there were any changes made to the save file format).

A couple people have had problem with the transition into the add-on content, though it sounds like you are getting a little bit past there. There are some suggestions in the following you could try.

Crash after Ygerna's memory cutscenes

Can you start a new character at the beginning of FoV, and get past the point you have a problem with your existing saves? If a new character also has a problem, re-doing the Ygerna's memory fight probably wouldn't help (though may still be worth a shot if you can not get it working otherwise).

Try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this post. See the DKS support page.

In Win 7 the saves are in the folder below. You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (see here).

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Savegames

enthusiast
enthusiast
Raze beat me to it again, i see smile

Please mail the savegame to support@larian.com and we'll have you killing zombies in Aleroth in no time.

Astara Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Sent (the last manually and the autosave).

Hopefully it won't just be a patched game file -- but will lead to a soon patch for the exe, as I'd like the option to be able to go back and play through some skipped content.

Thanks!
Astara

Astara Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
FWIW -- I CAN start a new character at the beginning of FoV.

You say some people have had a prob with the transition into the add-on content? That is where I am crashing, I think, if I understand your description.

Previously, before add-on, I had fight -- then talk w/Ygerna, then shown my HORRIFIC FATE: spending all eternity, LISTENING to that boring, ugly, whiny 'Divine' talk about how he bemoans everything... OMG!!! Talk about horrible fates! Who thought that he was somehow a good guy and thought up this story line, anyway? Comments on that here.

I don't see what about my description makes you think it isn't on the transition point. It was after Ygrn's gloat & wakeup, but before I start into the scene w/the demon coming to release me from the crystal [what idiot would think that letting me 'out' would be a good thing -- especially a demon 'siding' with Ygrna; she would know what I was capable of against Damian, and certainly couldn't have thought it would be a good thing!].

Isn't that exactly the transition from old -> add-on?

Support
Support

At least with the people that had a crash fixed by installing the appropriate audio codec, I think that crash was at the FoV intro video, before anyone showed up or conversations started.

Astara Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hmm....that worked prior to the patch being installed and also works if I start a new game, so I don't think that's it...

Oh well...

Sent them 2 crashable save files, not sure why it would crash with the new patch -- since they didn't document any changes that should affect that transition point.

It would be nice if they documented what was in the patch in more detail.... like *WHAT* spells or abilities did they change and _how_, for example...among other things...

Astara Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Having nothing better to do, I tried to figure out why it might be crashing at that point and came up with a workaround for myself:

I'd been playing @ 1920x1200 on 'Extreme', with shadows 'timesliced' to get the performance I wanted, though my monitor is 2560x1600.

I noticed lots of video card 're-inits' during the transition from old->new, (my monitor tells me it resynced with an icon of the port it synced with) and on a hunch, decided to try kicking back up to native resolution (2560x1600) so it wouldn't have to do as many re-inits. For the test, I kicked the graphics level down to the 'single core optimized' preset.

Restarted, and it played through to the start of 2nd segment w/no crashes. Was able to save at that point and reset graphics back to what I originally had (1920x1200 & Extreme + timesliced shadows) and tested the result -- works fine now.

Something about the rapid video mode switches at the transition seems like it is at the root of this problem -- nothing to do with the savegame file. So for me, at least, I'm off to playing again (after I rest from my hacking session...just try getting 'Procmon' to run with this game...stupid game DRM... Always presenting a pain to players who legally buy things!)

Support
Support

Glad you got it working. rpg003

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard