Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lynn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Divinity II - The Dragon knight Saga is the Weekend Deal on Steam with an exceptional 50% discount!

This offer starts today, Thursday, June 23 at 7pm GMT+1, ending Monday, June 27 at 7pm GMT+1.

Don't hesitate - this is a great opportunity!
And if you already own it, this is probably the right moment to pass the message to your friends so they can join you in the fun!

Grab the game here or spread the news!

[Linked Image]

journeyman
journeyman
Been waiting for this. I was hesitant to pick up DKS since I already own vanilla D2 but I think I'll go for it at $20.

addict
addict
That'd be a nice deal, if the game was NOT a double-DRM whammy w/ both Steam and Securom Internet Edition w/ 5 installs limit.
Either one DRM or the other for the Steam version, guys...for real.

Last edited by MysterD; 23/06/11 09:11 PM.
addict
addict

Last edited by MysterD; 23/06/11 09:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
I'm glad I bought both Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga at full price of 60 €.

Anything less than that is a steal, imo... especially since so many mediocre action-RPGs (including Dungeon Siege 3, as much as it pains me to say it) are currently being sold at full price and are barely more than 10 hours long, not to mention suffer from chronic tunnelitis level design.

journeyman
journeyman

The Amazon version will still have Securom and the 5 install limit though right? Doesn't really matter a whole lot to me either way since I highly doubt I will have to install the game more than 5 times.

Last edited by Killbomb; 23/06/11 09:33 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Killbomb

The Amazon version will still have Securom and the 5 install limit though right? Doesn't really matter a whole lot to me either way since I highly doubt I will have to install the game more than 5 times.

I'd guess the Amazon.com download version probably would have the Securom + 5 install limit, yes.
Maybe Sven, Lynn, a developer, or someone at Larian can confirm this...? wink
Or someone who buys the Amazon.com DL version? wink

But at least w/ that Amazon download version - you likely don't have Steam version's double-DRM situation.
Steam's a form of DRM itself, remember.
You can always add any non-Steam program (EXE file) to Steam, if you want some of the Steam benefits - i.e. screenshot taking and Friends list.
I did that w/ the GOG Version of Witcher 2.

Last edited by MysterD; 23/06/11 09:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hah, my hardcopy still was cheaper.
Silly Steam.

I definitely point my friends to the game-store instead of steam for DKS still wink.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Hah, my hardcopy still was cheaper.
Silly Steam.

I definitely point my friends to the game-store instead of steam for DKS still wink.

DKS Edition never got a hard-copy release in USA.
Only digital.

Support
Support

In the US you can get the retail PC version of DKS from Gogamer.com (or could awhile ago, anyway), and possibly other places that import games.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

In the US you can get the retail PC version of DKS from Gogamer.com (or could awhile ago, anyway), and possibly other places that import games.

Gogamer is currently temporarily closed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The DRM on the current steam version is only Securom, not Steam and Securom combination. The only difference is that you download it via the steam client.

But as some people here have stated in several threads: you can start div2 DKS even when Steam is offline smile

veteran
veteran
Then it's not as bad as your regular Steam-game.

Still... *fondles disk and paper manual*

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Larian_QA
The DRM on the current steam version is only Securom, not Steam and Securom combination. The only difference is that you download it via the steam client.

But as some people here have stated in several threads: you can start div2 DKS even when Steam is offline smile

If that is the case - does Steam have to run always to actually boot the game up?

Obviously - if you boot a game up within the Steam program, you will cause the game to boot up w/ Steam (ans its overlay).

If you boot DKS Steam version from off the shortcut off desktop, will it force Steam program to boot-up?
Or does it just the game itself boot w/out booting Steam?

Here's why I ask...

In Borderlands: Steam version - if you boot the game from a shortcut that you placed onto the desktop itself (instead of booting the game up within Steam client program), it will actually boot only the game AND WILL NOT boot Steam up. It will just boot up the game, avoiding Steam entirely [in that instance]. Does DKS Steam version do this the same way?

But, really - what about the DRM on the download version on Amazon.com?
Is that only Securom Internet Edition?

Last edited by MysterD; 25/06/11 12:15 AM.
addict
addict
Steam is a beautiful, beautiful thing. It's saved me so much money. This is how DD should be done.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Libertarian
Steam is a beautiful, beautiful thing. It's saved me so much money. This is how DD should be done.

Steam is pretty good, yes - despite some of its quirks and all.
Most of them DD services have quirks.

addict
addict
Direct2Drive -> Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga PC download = $20.
Looks like Steam, Amazon, and D2D are having a price-matching war here this weekend. smile

Does D2D Download Version have Securom Internet DRM, also?

Last edited by MysterD; 25/06/11 01:22 AM.
addict
addict
Looks like this post on RPGWatch an...e to boot DKS Steam version w/out Steam.
NICE! smile

The Steam shortcut created is a URL based one which will start Steam before launching DKS. However if you go into the installed folder and into "bin" you will see the standard .exe file to launch the game. Just tested this and it will not launch Steam first.

EDIT:
I tried DKS Demo from Steam - and yep, that trick works.
So, I ran from "bin" folder Divinity2.exe - worked!
I made a shortcut from that and tossed it onto desktop.

Last edited by MysterD; 26/06/11 08:14 PM.
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
It makes sense that to play a game you bought on steam you have to have steam running and be on the same account you bought the game with. I don't see that as DRM any more than having to log into this forum with your account to post.

Also from what I can tell you get your activations back if you uninstall the game. 5 simultaneous installations. Since when will you have the game installed on five separate PCs at once? :P

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eliirae
It makes sense that to play a game you bought on steam you have to have steam running and be on the same account you bought the game with. I don't see that as DRM any more than having to log into this forum with your account to post.

Also from what I can tell you get your activations back if you uninstall the game. 5 simultaneous installations. Since when will you have the game installed on five separate PCs at once? :P

I don't have too much of a problem w/ the 5 install limit + revokes allowed (b/c revokes are allowed) - many other games do it, i.e. many of EA's titles. And I have bought many EA titles, over the years.

It's just here w/ DKS Steam, that could be possibly two DRM's running, as opposed to one. Steam DRM is enough DRM itself. Steam DRM + Securom DRM is just pretty much redundant.

Only benefits of Steam version is auto-updating, back-up archiving, friends list, screen-shot taking, and the 3 extra exclusive armors. Most of these Steam-features (except auto-update and archiving), you could do so by adding it to Steam as a Non-Steam game, if you buy it elsewhere.

It's still something I'm debating - do I buy it from Steam? Do I buy it from Amazon (and avoid Steam)? Do I buy it from D2D? Or do I sit and wait for more price-drops?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard