Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
First of all, CREDIT GOES TO HASSAT HUNTER! He is the one who discovered this trick entirely, so please, credit him, not me!

There are 6 skill point boost mindreads available in FoV: Lockpick, Summon Demon, Charm, Master Herbalist, Healing, and Mana Leech. They are supposed to give +1 to the listed skill. However, there's a glitch you can exploit for extra points.

If you have equipment which boosts the skill when you do the mindread, you get extra points! Specifically, you get 1 + X skill points, where X is the number of levels the skill is boosted. So if you had an item that gives Charm +1 when you mindread Eve, you'll get 2 points from the mindread!

These are permanenet points, so if you use enough to get, say, a +6 to Charm (the highest you can get without maxing it), that's a total gain of 7 points! These points will even be reset when you unlearn all skills!

The only catch here is that if you have enough bonus points to put the skill to max level (such as +7 to Charm), you won't gain ANY skill points from it, even though technically you have 0 permanent points in the skill, so be careful!

This means you can get the following amounts of points:
Charm: 7 points (+6 from jewelry)
Lockpick: 1 point (unless you have Jagon's Necklace from ED still, which makes it 2)
Healing: 12 points (9 from three +3 jewelry items, +2 from Stardust ring)
Mana Leech: 13 points (+5 from Waste Land Leggings, +1 from Ulthring's Helmet, +6 from jewelry)
Summon Demon: 10 points (three +3 jewelry items)
Master Herbalist: 5 points (+4 from jewelry items)

Note that apparently it's possible to push Mana Leech to level 14 from this, so keep that in mind.

S
S
So, it's a way to get more skill points, in a setting where you're already bogged down with more Skill Books than you know what to do with?

and just exactly how did Hassat figure this out? did he unequip some items and realize "hey, the points are still there?"

anywho, from whom do you get the "Summon Demon" skillpoint?

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Sigs Minock
So, it's a way to get more skill points, in a setting where you're already bogged down with more Skill Books than you know what to do with?

and just exactly how did Hassat figure this out? did he unequip some items and realize "hey, the points are still there?"

anywho, from whom do you get the "Summon Demon" skillpoint?

Laeniel. An enemy you fight during the storyline drops the key to his room.

He discovered it becase he had Summon Demon-boosting jewelry and noticed he gained a ton of points from the mindread, far more than just the +1 it says it gives.

As for the skill points availabe, I can think of plenty to do with them. There seem to be 42 total points available from this (on top of the 6 available by default). 43, if you kept Jagon's Necklace from Broken Valley instead of completing that bounty quest.

veteran
veteran
A neat find... but I have to agree that it's not a huge deal, as I typically run out of skills that I want to max out before I run out of skill points in FoV.

journeyman
journeyman
well done finding this glitch but in the end doesn't pay out finished it with level 46 and 15 skill points left wink

I'm not God, but I'm close
veteran
veteran
Yeah, the exploit would be most helpful to new FoV characters.

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
If you people seriously can't think of what to do with extra skill points, you have no imagination whatsoever. There's ALWAYS a use. Max out Death Blow (if you use weapons). Regenerate? Life Leech? Evade? Potion Efficiency? Hell, even MANA Leech, for anyone using mana? Confusion (combined with Aura projectile enchantments on jewelry)?

Sure, technically you don't NEED those... but they'd be fun to have.

veteran
veteran
Indeed wink I agree with Lancet ... I'm happy to read that FoV give many extra skillpoints/skills smile
If I can max all Summon skills (Ghost, Undead, Demon) and more skills ... I will do it for a good help in battle .

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard