Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
stranger
stranger
K
[rant on]
I was delighted when i found out, that larian makes a kickstarter. thus i backed it instantly, since i already knew their work from all other games.

But these discussions about women and their clothing/body or whatever is starting to wear me down and now i find out larian did not only self-censor D:OS but also Dragon Commander..

It hurts me to the bones that they would do such a thing, compromising their integrity, just to please a minotiry, most of whom probably wont even buy a/the game. As a result of this i will probably not back another kickstarterproject nor buy any other game . it will not be a big change, the last few years i only played some very special chosen games. and i guess most devs/publisher can live without one buyer. but i am guessing there will be more that feel this way soon.

well with this i am off. goodbye
[rant off]

veteran
veteran
But these discussions about women and their clothing/body or whatever is starting to wear me down and now i find out larian did not only self-censor D:OS but also Dragon Commander..

It hurts me to the bones that they would do such a thing, compromising their integrity, just to please a minotiry, most of whom probably wont even buy a/the game.

THIS

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
You mean the adding more clothes on the women? That's what I noticed on the front page of the Kickstarter where before she had bared her midsection and breasts.

What are you people talking about? I love the new changes, this is for the best - I practically skipped claphands

Support
Support

So if the final game (which isn't even out yet) doesn't exactly match the concept art, Larian compromised their integrity? Their very honour depends on keeping scantily clad female characters in the game? It isn't a case of simply designing realistic armour, or recognizing that unrealistic armour can turn people off of a game (if it looks like the target audience is 13 year old boys)?

By that logic, Larian sold out before Beyond Divinity was released. One of the early screenshots had a character with an anime style giant sword, but the swords in the game were realistic.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Bring back the skimpy Women Larian!!! I don’t play games to see realistic ideas or accurate depictions of life, I play life to see such things, and I personally believe you should not censor yourselves in any way...

Also I read somewhere that Sven thought one day he would have to defend this game, and even though I haven’t played it yet, tell him to call me when that day comes because I would proudly stand by him and defend why a particular dwarf looks like a certain billionaire with a toupe, or why one of the princesses wears a skimpy outfit, because this game is artwork, some people might see it as frames or code, but I see it as a painting and like a painting it should express what the person, or people whom painted it wanted it too, so Larian Do what you will, I just ask you to remember why you became an independent studio, to free yourselves from the corporate collars that have imprisoned countless other devs before you, forcing micro transactions, censorship, and broader dumber gameplay into brilliantly done games…

In other words I ask you to remember what made you unique

/rant

Either way though I plan on buying this game on steam when its released, and hopefully the first thing I see is a nice bosom!

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I hope your being satirical, otherwise it's gamers like you that keep the gaming industry down (with the bosom part not the dumbed down gameplay).

Tasteful use of sexual themes is one thing, but borderline misogynism is a crime in any industry. If the difference between the former and the latter is a few bolts of cloth then by all means - do not skimp on the cloth. We will already have curvaceous bodies strutting around to let our imagination do the work, there is no need to rob of us of even that effort.

And I am still angry no one is concerned about the Lizard Princess (may the Seven grant her a name soon) and her hips of death!

Originally Posted by demidevil

Female character design straight out of a Team Ninja game?

Personally, female armour that leaves all the vital bits exposed is one of my greatest annoyances; to me it represents an unthinking bowing to the horny male who has dictated the tone of the games industry for far too long. Bare midriffs and boobplate are nothing but great big 'Stab Here!' signs to me. That kind of fashion is only acceptable in stereotypical barbarian settings where the men are only dressed in loincloths.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kno127
[rant on]
I was delighted when i found out, that larian makes a kickstarter. thus i backed it instantly, since i already knew their work from all other games.

It hurts me to the bones that they would do such a thing, compromising their integrity, just to please a minotiry, most of whom probably wont even buy a/the game. As a result of this i will probably not back another kickstarterproject nor buy any other game . it will not be a big change, the last few years i only played some very special chosen games. and i guess most devs/publisher can live without one buyer. but i am guessing there will be more that feel this way soon.

[rant off]

In what way is Dragon Commander self-censoring according to you?

Larian probably just didn't think that much of the cover. Just asked the artist to make some concept art that shows the main point of the game. 2 characters, that need to work together but not necessarily have to agree (holding hands while not looking happy).

This possible cover art, does not mean that every girl in the game is gonna be half nude. Div2 didnt have half nude females ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNO0SbW0HIM ).

All in all, I'm a bit surprised about reactions on both sides. I never tought much of it. But calling this self-censorship is a bit much. Since they promote this a bit as a game that you can play with a girlfriend, and you don't want to offend them, they just cloth her up a bit more on the promotional artwork. Dont make this a bigger deal than it is.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis
Originally Posted by demidevil

Female character design straight out of a Team Ninja game?

Personally, female armour that leaves all the vital bits exposed is one of my greatest annoyances; to me it represents an unthinking bowing to the horny male who has dictated the tone of the games industry for far too long. Bare midriffs and boobplate are nothing but great big 'Stab Here!' signs to me. That kind of fashion is only acceptable in stereotypical barbarian settings where the men are only dressed in loincloths.

Armor? I meant the princesses in dragon commander not the women in OS, I actually agree OS does look better now with the more realistic armor, and yes the first sentence was meant to be a joke

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why go off about this subject on VIDEO GAMES? ffs.

Go moan and complain to the music industry nowadays or something. I think that medium is the one you want to criticise and not a Divinity game.

Just my two cents...

Last edited by Rod Lightning; 11/04/13 06:11 PM.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kno127
[rant on]

[rant off]

I know about D:OS, but in what way is Dragon Commander censored already?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor

I know about D:OS, but in what way is Dragon Commander censored already?

I don't know. Some guys were making a big deal about this but I don't think that Dragon Commander was affected by this new outlook. I personally wish it would be but that is not up for debate.

What is up for debate is the Lizard Princess' Hips - can I get a Yey or Nay from you people? Is it a problem?

Originally Posted by Fernando
[quote=virumor]What is up for debate is the Lizard Princess' Hips - can I get a Yey or Nay from you people? Is it a problem?

Nah, it's not really a problem. Lizards (actual real-world non-mammalian lizards) also have spikes and ridges and whatnot. So, you know, whatever.

Last edited by WotanAnubis; 15/04/13 07:23 AM.
veteran
veteran
Loud minority makes it a problem. Majority don't see a problem so they don';t bother. In the end, loud minority whining being taken into account.

The usual.

The problem with the "silent majority" idea is that, being silent, it's impossible to tell whether they're actually a majority and whose 'side' they're on. Because they don't voice their opinions.

Maybe they're just apathetic. Who knows?

veteran
veteran
Just look at your sexist avatar. Imma gun report u brah.

veteran
veteran
I think it's silly that the lizards apparently have mammary glands, but that's the extent to which it bothers me. I'm not getting out a torch and pitchfork.

It's not worth changing it at this stage of development.

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/04/13 05:02 PM. Reason: removed other stuff
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The topic was about her Spikey Hips Stabbey, not her Reptilian Bosoms. Is there a way to request a topic be shut down because this has completely veered off track...

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Kein
Loud minority makes it a problem. Majority don't see a problem so they don';t bother. In the end, loud minority whining being taken into account.

The usual.

Your last post on the topic was in font size 48. Are you so certain you aren't the loud minority?

Most of the time I'm in the silent whatever, I'd rather games had more respect for themselves than to resort to such base pandering but ultimately it's something I find sad rather than a deal-breaker.

But like DRM, day 1 DLC and constant Twitter integration it's something I put up with rather than like. If I'm helping fund the development of a game I do want it to be classier than that.

I
stranger
stranger
I
So you don't understand that sexy sells in our culture? How about that link that was just posted? Or maybe you are just talking about video games in genre? Then how about the sexual icons in the industry like Lara and BloodRayne? Or the millions of downloaders of sexy skyrim mods?

Do you have any real prove or did you think the matter was so hard to prove you could just say what you wanted too and not be called out on it.

And I find it ironic that the people disagreeing with the idea that they selled out by making the character less sexy are the same people talking about oversexualization. Heck, I would agree they probably didn't sell out by changing the clothes, at least not without more evidence. But don't sit here and complain about breasts and at least act like you don't have an agenda to protect the change in the first place.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard