Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Because they are OFFENDED. Easy way to force someone feel like they own something to offended.

Originally Posted by Sordak
why do people even still care?

Because I like videogames. And I want other people to like videogames. But it gets kind of hard to persuade people when games, by and large, seem to revel in being juvenile*.

Sure, knowing Larian, the female characters are probably going to be fun and interesting in their own ways. Not knowing Larian, they just might seem to be there to provide tits for the default straight dude yet again.

Also, basic equality.

* (Although funnily enough, Saints Row, a series that's proud to be juvenile, had stoner Shaundi in 2 and Kinzie in The Third, neither of whom were the large-breasted model with frequent ass shots type exemplified by Miranda from the supposedly serious Mass Effect series. But I digress.)

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis
And I want other people to like videogames. But it gets kind of hard to persuade people when games, by and large, seem to revel in being juvenile*.
"Man, i really want other people to like movies but transformer 2 exists and somehow that makes citizen kane and the whole medium juvenile" Nope, sorry, i can't get behind that mentality at all, most of the mainstream cinema (music and literature) is not exactly mature or even good, Sturgeon's Law, but jumping from that to dooming cinematography as a whole is a big logical leap, who are this "lets disregard the whole medium because some juvenile games dare to exist" people anyway? I don't know many guys with such flawed logic, but they seem to be a huge concern for people trying to push political correctness, a more cynical person would take it as a really lame excuse to try to make developers cater to their personal tastes (not that I am one wink ). Why do we want this judgmental pricks anyway? You want other people to like games but being a little selective is not always bad

journeyman
journeyman
@rupuka, I like how you linked Swen's latest Blog.

For me being in vfx industry, I don't really care about what's on screen anymore, they don't reflect how beautiful an actress actually is, just like those beauty magazine, everything is photoshopped( just different software).

Come back to the topic, if I were to sell a product, and I know it's going to sell more if my target audience likes boobs, I'll make boobs. And, until a turning point where I know those loyal customer that likes my work will sustain my passion(like CD Projekt Red), I'll make boobs when I feel like it. When I think it fits my imagination and my fantasized world. Not for some random pass by that gets offended by nude cyclists protesting car drivers nor some teen that get boner on anything with female curves.

And meh, I should quit this thread, there are more meaningful things to do. XD

I'd actually like there to be a Citizen Kane. Heck, I'd settle for Sleepless in Seattle.

I mean, how many Citizen Kanes do videogames have anyway? Games so groundbreaking they force the world to admit that games, like films, can be art (even though they don't always have to be)?

I'm not saying Transformers 2 shouldn't be allowed to exist or anything, but can't we at least aspire to something better?

apprentice
apprentice
Ha, if you have such a low opinion of video games that you can't even conceive a "Sleepless in Seattle" then why do you even want other people to play them? grin
Sure, we should aspire to something better than Transformers 2, but making "good" or "mature" the standard of every game is sadly unrealistic and is definitely not the same standards of other arts, Hollywood is far from a Citizen Kane factory and nobody is questioning the status of movies as an art, most movies are bad (or at least not good) and, again, the same rule applies to music and books, good movies are hard to make and appealing to the lowest common denominator is always a safe bet, comparing the numbers of good movies against all the bad ones is a pretty depressing exercise. What i find really hard to accept is the notion of most people ignoring any possibility of a good movie just because of that or that the few people who does are relevant in any way. Again, why do we want someone who is so quick to judge an entire medium in the first place?

journeyman
journeyman
Hate to continue this thread, but I have to say something.
Grim Fandango is a great piece of gaming art to me, literally made my cry at some point.
It's not the graphical eye candy or main plot, but how much they invest in those characters.
When you care about characters they build up, you give the creators your heart for them to toy with.
To me, they put souls into those characters, that's what makes me like it so much after so many years.

To this day, there yet to have another game that gives me the same emotional impact.
I guess most game didn't spend time building their characters, or the story is not engaging enough where they leave a lot things out for intention to get a sequel deal.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis
I'd actually like there to be a Citizen Kane. Heck, I'd settle for Sleepless in Seattle.

I mean, how many Citizen Kanes do videogames have anyway? Games so groundbreaking they force the world to admit that games, like films, can be art (even though they don't always have to be)?

I'm not saying Transformers 2 shouldn't be allowed to exist or anything, but can't we at least aspire to something better?

NOTE: I don't exactly watch much films and no television at all, so I'm going by assumption here based on the tone of your posts.

If you want films with meaningful stories you will have to go outside the Hollywood productions and look into the alternative circuit. The same goes for books. And the same goes for games.

If you are claiming there are no games with good storytelling or deep characters I suggest having a look at The Longest Journey, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Mass Effect (the first), ... There's quite a few of them and there will only be more, you just have to find them, as with the other media.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
old hand
old hand
Well I'm not sure deus ex had the best story; and while I never played longest Journey I will comment that GOG has it on sale this weekend for $4.00 (I've never played Longest Journey so this is not an endorsement of the game itself).
-

Last edited by meme; 10/05/13 04:06 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Yes, the longest journey(first one) is good, I've finished it when it was out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kno127
[rant on]
I was delighted when i found out, that larian makes a kickstarter. thus i backed it instantly, since i already knew their work from all other games.

But these discussions about women and their clothing/body or whatever is starting to wear me down and now i find out larian did not only self-censor D:OS but also Dragon Commander..

It hurts me to the bones that they would do such a thing, compromising their integrity, just to please a minotiry, most of whom probably wont even buy a/the game. As a result of this i will probably not back another kickstarterproject nor buy any other game . it will not be a big change, the last few years i only played some very special chosen games. and i guess most devs/publisher can live without one buyer. but i am guessing there will be more that feel this way soon.

well with this i am off. goodbye
[rant off]

First: Do your research. Second: Do your research. Third: You know the drill.

Quoting Macbeth(lead writer):
Originally Posted by Macbeth

P.S. And about the player-is-male-by-default issue. This is a result of the inevitable changes and challenges that befall development. Yes, in the beginning you could be male or female and marry a male or female: your choice. First we made the story lines of the princesses with the idea we could make a male version out of them, but it turned out that wouldn't really work out that well and that we'd need new story lines entirely for the princes. Because of time restraints that failed to materialise. That's really too bad, but there is really nothing more to it.

Can be found here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465167&page=1
TL;DR Larian won't ruin the integrity of the game if they could handle it. As quoted above, they initially made DC not exclusive with one gender, but kept only one male lead so as to retain the so called integrity you kept on spouting.

Anyhow, playing different gender with different branching increases replayability to me. A win-win situation for role playing gamers.

Last edited by henryv; 11/05/13 01:07 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by demidevil
Firstly The new tomb Raider didn't meet sales expectations, so while it may have sold more it didn't sell as many as expected, and it'll probably be the last tomb raider.

That's quite a major assumption and rather unfounded and quite naïve if you ask me...

Last edited by Demonic; 11/05/13 05:20 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard