Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#462600 11/04/13 08:47 PM
Kein Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Well, that's good to know. Will probably give me enough time to finish Fire Emblem first.

journeyman
journeyman
Hurray smile

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Nice Find, Also you can see the minimum system requirements at the bottom of the page too

Minimum system requirements: Windows XP SP 3 (Windows 7 SP 1 recommended), 2.6 GHz Core2 Duo E6600 or equivalent or better(i5 2400 or equivalent or better recommended), 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended), NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 or better (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 550 ti 1GB ram or or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6XXX or better recommended), 15GB HDD space (30 GB recommended), DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card, Mouse, Keyboard.

and wow 8.3 gb gonna be a big game....

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by demidevil

Was that sarcasm? I can't tell. Seriously, I don't know what 8.3 gb would imply length wise.

veteran
veteran
My (desktop) computer can't handle this game and I'm afraid buying next year (or D:OS !) a brand new laptop (yes, I want a laptop to easy carrying from place to place so I can play D:OS everywhere I can :hihi: ) isn't that good for playing Dragon Commander ! Not sure, but I don't think playing DC on a laptop is a good idea. Plus: not sure if any laptop can handle DC smooth enough without starting problems with the heating (need more cooling) ... think

I'm afraid must let this game pass ... sad

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
For more sales, Larian should use the picture of the skeleton princess looking in the mirror as game cover instead..

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Joram
My (desktop) computer can't handle this game and I'm afraid buying next year (or D:OS !) a brand new laptop (yes, I want a laptop to easy carrying from place to place so I can play D:OS everywhere I can :hihi: ) isn't that good for playing Dragon Commander ! Not sure, but I don't think playing DC on a laptop is a good idea. Plus: not sure if any laptop can handle DC smooth enough without starting problems with the heating (need more cooling) ... think

I'm afraid must let this game pass ... sad

I dont have a desktop so I play all my games on my laptop and I very rarely have problems, so I wouldn't worry about the laptop overheating mine almost never does even when playing skyrim or witcher 2, but if it does you could always by a fan attachment. Also if you'd like to check it you could probably post the specs of whatever laptop your looking at and larian would probably tell you if it would play it, as I usually find most minimal system requirements to high

Originally Posted by Fernando
Originally Posted by demidevil

Was that sarcasm? I can't tell. Seriously, I don't know what 8.3 gb would imply length wise.

I wasn't being sarcastic, 8.3 is pretty big, to put it in perspective skyrim is 5 gbs, and the witcher 2 is 14.

veteran
veteran
Voice acting uses a lot of space and this game has a LOT of voice acting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Skyrim and witcher 2 has also a lot of voice acting.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by henryv

Those were pretty huge games, but despite it's scope I don't think Dragon Commander will be as graphically demanding. Besides the floating Palace/Capital that is the commander's flagship The Raven and the flat battlefields, the game's true depth will lay in strategic implementation of gameplay and story (including voice-acting). Skyrim and Witcher 2 were worlds you could explore - this is a world you need only conquer. That, at least, is what i think.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fernando
Originally Posted by henryv

Those were pretty huge games, but despite it's scope I don't think Dragon Commander will be as graphically demanding. Besides the floating Palace/Capital that is the commander's flagship The Raven and the flat battlefields, the game's true depth will lay in strategic implementation of gameplay and story (including voice-acting). Skyrim and Witcher 2 were worlds you could explore - this is a world you need only conquer. That, at least, is what i think.

I've just watched and researched sin of the solar empire/medieval total war II specs. Sin of the solar is roughly 5 gigabytes. While medieval total war II is 9 gigabytes. Latter offers huge map, while the former offers a somewhat similar engine on the RTS system with DC (except they are drawn as a
cartoon icon whenever the player zooms out). I'll assume this are the contents of DC:

5 Gig for graphics (units/battle map/strategy map/inside ship) 2 Gig for gameplay mechanics
1.3 gig for everything else (IE voice acting, dialogues, story scripting)

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
old hand
old hand
It's not just voice acting, sound compresses very well without losing quality. As I understand it, it's the areas you RTS in, its terrains and its textures. They're pretty detailed for an RTS.

So yeah, what henryv said laugh

Tweeting @forktong
stranger
stranger
"ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 or better" "DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card"

Hum... So you are using Directx 9.0...
I understand the point, because most people have a compatible directx9 card, but the new cards don't have a better directx9 performance than 3 years ago whereas directx10 and directx11 support has gone quite better.

As an example I have two card to compare :an hd4670 and a hd7730m
The performance in directx9 game is similar (and on a directx9 3Dmarck benchmark, I have similar results).
But in directx10 benchmarks my hd 7730m scores two times better than the hd4670.

I've read that for the last need for speed most wanted their directx11 implementation was 3 times their directx 9 implementation.

So I don't meet the minimum requirements of dragon commander (so probably many people), except if you consider a directx10 or directx11 implementation... (If you plan to do a release for mac, are you using opengl 3.2? It is equivalent to directx10 so if you allow the windows game to use opengl that should do the trick)

H
stranger
stranger
H
The Asus Republic of Gamers g75vw can easily handle 90 percent of games out there with a decent sticker price of about 1200 dollars. It has the Nvidia 660 mobile with 2gb of ram, the Ivy Bridge i7 and 8 gb of ram, most games on ultra is about 40fps.
This isn't a game you want to miss out on with all the genre blending elements it incorporates. Go to the plasma bank my friend.
birthdayjump

stranger
stranger
My card should be good enough, just have to use its capacity: today cards are not designed to be performant for directx9 but for directx10 and 11.

In benchmarks, I saw that hd4850 is less than two times more performant than my old hd4670 which has the same directx9 performance than my hd7730m.

If the team of need for speed got 3 times more fps with directx11 than with directx9 then maybe my card could meet the requirements if the game could be used with something better than directx9 (of course there will probably need some work and optimisation).

I imagine that implementing a way to use an other directx would need a lot of work, but since the engine has been written for opengl, why not optimise the opengl part and use the power of the last version of opengl 3 (opengl 3 is compatible with directx10 and directx11 cards and is compatible with xp, unlike directx 10 and 11)

Not everyone has a computer with a very good graphic card. I think many people have a graphic card with the same performance than me or less.

Last edited by vebveb; 14/04/13 03:24 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by vebveb

In benchmarks, I saw that hd4850 is less than two times more performant than my old hd4670 which has the same directx9 performance than my hd7730m.

If the team of need for speed got 3 times more fps with directx11 than with directx9 then maybe my card could meet the requirements if the game could be used with something better than directx9 (of course there will probably need some work and optimisation).

AFAIK the DC engine supports both DirectX9 and DirectX11.

I imagine that implementing a way to use an other directx would need a lot of work, but since the engine has been written for opengl, why not optimise the opengl part and use the power of the last version of opengl 3

OpenGL implementations on Windows are generally buggier than the equivalent DX version (since most games use DX on Win).
Also implementing support for multiple DirectX versions is roughly the same work as multiple OpenGL versions.

(opengl 3 is compatible with directx10 and directx11 cards and is compatible with xp, unlike directx 10 and 11)

But OpenGL 3.0 does not have the same feature set as DirectX 10/11.
I'd say that OpenGL 3.2 is roughly equivalent to DX10 and OGL4.0 is roughly equivalent as DX11.

So to support DirectX11-level features you have to use OGL 4.0; if the card doesn't support 4.0, you have to use 3.x, so it has to be backwards compatible with older GL versions (which is the same work as implementing DX9 fallback).

old hand
old hand
Got a new desktop which can easily handle this and other new releases. I used to play on the laptop but the trackpad is only so good for gaming and trackpads since 2010 have got worst. I'm sticking to desktops from now on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Mhm. I have 2.4GHz and a NVIDIA GeForce 610M graphics card...Are the minimum specs on the GoG page the absolute minimum? :P

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Support
Support

With Larian's previous games they've been fairly conservative when setting the minimum specs, but the 610M is kind of low end for gaming. Hopefully the demo will be as optimized and have similar graphics options as the full game, so you can test if it would work (assuming someone doesn't report on similar hardware first).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard