Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Greetings folks at Larian. I have purchased and played all of your games since Divine Divinity. I have enjoyed them because they were real time games. I don't have much time to play games but when I do, I find turn based games too tedious and they take more of the precious little time that I have. I tried some more recent turn based games like Dragon Age Origins and have not even made it half way through.

I have sponsored Original Sin through kickstarter and will give it a chance but I am one of your loyal fans who is not looking forward to this change.

Please keep this in mind with future development. I like the idea of having companions and or henchmen but I prefer to be able to set them up with specific equipment and allocate their stats but have them run themselves in battle including taking healers when necessary.

With turn based games, I don't feel like I am fighting or in the fray. I am like a general sitting back in the comfort of the bunker watching his men do all the work.

I also want to take a moment to say that I really enjoyed the Divinity 2 game. While it felt and looked different from the original Divinity, I found it very engaging and attractive on a number of levels. I hope you have not given up on that type of game completely.

I enjoy both 3rd person isometric and first person real time games. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to your ongoing research for future directions in gaming.

stranger
stranger
DA: Origins wasn't turn based. You could pauze it if you wanted to, but if it wasn't you're thing no one forced you to. Sorry to hear you didn't like it tho. I did multiple playthroughs

Turn-based gameplay allows for greater versatility with regard to tactics. The action point system they're using here (the same as in Fallout and Arcanum) is really one of the more fast-paced styles of turn-based combat.

In fact, Arcanum uses the same mechanics, yet has the option to play in real-time.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Plenty of real time games out there. Leave us our niche turn based games.

addict
addict
I really love the idea of TB-combat. since i have never played TB RPGs (Dragon Age is definitly not turnbased) it adds just a lot of more strategy to the game.
In most ARPGs you just have a winning combo like in D2 if you combined "Way of the Archer" with "Multiple Arrows" you could easily just run through the game an with this i killed Ygerna literally in 10 seconds on nightmare. So in TB-combat i expect a lot more complexity and a lot more Strategy than just a winning combo, no thinking (like in Diablo 3) at all and so on.
If you dont like there is a big choice of games that you can play, but there are not much real TB-RPGs.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Brian, not suggesting taking away your turn based games but Divinity was never a turn based game and now the new one will be. In this case my real time game was taken away. ;-)

Last edited by Crimsonbard; 25/04/13 05:26 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Crimsonbard
Brian, not suggesting taking away your turn based games but Divinity was never a turn based game and now the new one will be. In this case my real time game was taken away. ;-)

Arguably Larian's turn based was taken away multiple times by publishers... wink

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
I was surprised at first, but seeing the videos showed me that battle is anything but slow or tedious. Also, I have played some cool, even magnificent crpgs with turn based battle systems (Fallout 1/2, for example).

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Brian Wright
Plenty of real time games out there. Leave us our niche turn based games.

Indeed, they have plenty of "modern style RPG's" with "real time combat" like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3 evil

Last edited by Estrogen; 25/04/13 06:25 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'm actually really excited to play a classic turn based (and party based) RPG. I'm glade they've taken the turn based route. And with the announcement that they're releasing all of they're development tools to us so we can make our own RPGs solidifies the fact that I will be throwing money at this amazing team every chance I get.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I'm in favor of the turn based combat. I find that the more party members you have the harder it is to either control them without pausing a lot (DAO) or they just don't help out much, especially with friendly fire being in the game. Last thing you want is your AI friend throwing fireballs around while your sword fighting those orcs.

And I too am looking forward to what people do with that editor. Will some brave souls remake DD?

Last edited by Ragnin; 25/04/13 09:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
I used to be unsure about turn-based combat at first too, when I got Fallout. I was more used to real-time as well, but Fallout didn't offend me. This game looks even better than Fallout because of the potential for spell combos.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I am looking forward to its release. I hope it is faster moving than I imagine it to be. I accidentally happened upon the kickstarter promo so I have not had any real time to watch any game play videos. I apparently missed the live Jim Sterling session this afternoon. :-(

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmm, could you script the game in a way that you can change the game mechanics? (IE from Turnbased to real time).

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Support
Support

The latest update includes the nearly 2 hour Jim Sterling video.

Currently there is no way to switch to real time combat. The editor can not change game mechanics (ie it can not create new spells, but you can edit existing spells and modify effects). Larian will be using the current game engine for several games, though, so after D:OS is released, updates to the editor will follow to facilitate this.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Raze, Thanks for the link. So far I like what I see!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

The latest update includes the nearly 2 hour Jim Sterling video.

Currently there is no way to switch to real time combat. The editor can not change game mechanics (ie it can not create new spells, but you can edit existing spells and modify effects). Larian will be using the current game engine for several games, though, so after D:OS is released, updates to the editor will follow to facilitate this.

Bolded those important words. Since the engine of DC is similar to D:OS I think they don't have a hard time implementing the change in mechanics from TB to Real time with the dragon and all.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
journeyman
journeyman
I seriously doubt that turn-based takes you away from the character. If more than anything, with balanced rules set usually results in more intense nail biting combat. Real time is prone to mana spam and kite mobs, or lead to D3 type of corpse run. In short, you don't care what kinda of damage is dealt to your character, nor the death of your character, there are literally no consequences of what you do, and has very limited interaction. That's why the older DnD system rarely have hit point over 3 digits, to make critical hit results in real critical damage( with in the rule set).

When I play Diablo series I don't really feel the connection to the character, there is no back story of your character, no other things to do just kill more new mobs/bosses, getting more new spells/skills, and try to get rare/unique drops, that's it. But with turn-based core games, even if you have to control several characters, you connect better to them, as whatever you choose in dialogs, what dilemma and choice you make effects the out come. Sure in game like these you can always save/load, but that's up to each player. I think getting older might have some benefit with how I play games, I will usually stick with the result and try to do my best, just like in real life. Of course, if I got wiped, I'll still try to restart from latest save, and I usually only keep 2 saves for most of game I play. And it was usually when playing like these condition, generate best result and long lasting memory, like in table top games, roll a bad roll, you'll have to deal with it.

Anyway, there are far too few turn-based RPG games now a days, I really appreciate what Larian is doing. It's sort of game that you can try getting your girlfriend/wife trying out without pressure to do precise clicking, engage in discussion(COOP!!), and enjoying the adventure together. There was nothing quite like this for a long long time. So do it with a mod if you like, but I think D:OS is turn based for sure.

stranger
stranger
I have been a fan of Larian Studios since Egos Draconis, Divinity II. I am still not sold on this turn based combat. In fact I hate it to be honest. Granted, this style of game benefited Larian and pulled them out of financial ruin so one cannot judge too harshly. I liked Divinity II and still play it even after I purchased Divinity Original Sin. Unfortunately, I did not play Original Sin much after the first few combat scenes and got bored with the game extremely fast. Not my thing and never will be totally. It reminds me to much of the old King's Quest type RPG.

So as I keep looking for Larian to produce another game like Divinity II or a sequel, I guess I will have to play Skyrim or my Divinity II developer Cut. Arguments for turn base? I cannot see it. But to their credit, they have found a fan base for it and that is great. However, I will never play those games even though I own Divinity Original Sin. I guess you can qualify that purchase because I liked Divinity II so dearly. I even forgive them for the disappointment and understand.

This is an old post but I think they should be reminded and not to trash their Original ideas and creations. That is not sincere. I watched their movies they provided with the Developer Cut of Divinity II and know they were emotionally attached to that game and a lot of that emotion came through the game when played. I guess that is what I liked about it so much, that and their combat engine which rocked. I play a lot of games and none are as good. Not even ESO or Skyrim.

Turn based combat is for board games. Action Points? My god, make a bad thing worse. But all you Einstein's that think a fight is, Ok your turn to punch me, go ahead. Not real...

That's the thing
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
"Because they wanted to" is the answer, I think. fwiw I feel much the same way and like the Original Sins in spite of them being turn-based but D2 is my true love of the series. Having said that, "in spite of" has still given me some very enjoyable games even if that isn't a part of it and I suck at more strategy-based combat!

It's certainly a never-ending debate, as the pinned topic in the BG3 forum demonstrates, and I think it's such a subjective preference that there's probably as little chance of anyone changing their mind as there is about e.g. their favourite colour.

I'd like Divinity 3 whenever it appears to be a successor to Divinity 2 both in terms of story and playing style/perspective, though that might be optimistic. There are other things that fit the bill even if they are a bit thin on the ground at the moment; but this year I found both Greedfall and The Outer Worlds enjoyable, both of which are that sort of "actually being there" third-person real-time game, and other recommendations include Dragon's Dogma and the often overlooked Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard