Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fanest Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
We all know that Larian gave little attention to characters visual look and customization in previous games, and it seems to me that they are doing the same mistake again.
Why?
In pre-alpha it was possible to see an equipment slot dedicated to smt like mantle but that seems to be cut out now in the alpha and i wonder if it will ever come back. They did promise that this sort of equipment will be in the game (sometime during KS i asked them) but i fear that they forgot on it or cut it out for some reason.

I would like to remind them about this thats why im writing this. Also ppl i know and play with are all crazy on all sorts of cloaks just look how many cloak mods Skyrim has. Not to mention that there is also a bunch of mods for old games like BG1&2 where certain mage cloaks were made to look like the hooded ones etc.

Please Larian make this happen opa

Last edited by Fanest; 22/01/14 12:50 AM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah yeah, you can't be dark wizard (rpg role-playing here) and not have cloaks. hehe

enthusiast
enthusiast
Cloaks are cool, it's true.

When you say they promised 'this sort of equipment', could you be more specific?

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Fanest Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
[Linked Image]

here this is from pre-alpha, also i asked my question in some twitch streaming they had they kind of said its going to be in if i remember correctly. By "sort of equipment" i mean equipment which like all cloaks/capes etc. go over armor and possibly helmet.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by ToadStoned
Yeah yeah, you can't be dark wizard (rpg role-playing here) and not have cloaks. hehe
then you must get targeted a lot. no sane caster would wear the garb of a traditional wizard. that is like having a neon flashing target with the words "Geek the mage first" written on it.

journeyman
journeyman
By that logic if a mage wanted to hide it's true nature it would have to lug around a giant 2 handed sword and plate armour, which I doubt it would have the strength to do being a true mage. Cloaks however, given the time period of the game would also be worn often by travelers, I assume. No sane wizard that has played a 1000 rpg's would wear a cloak I'll agree.

Originally Posted by JFSeiki
By that logic if a mage wanted to hide it's true nature it would have to lug around a giant 2 handed sword and plate armour, which I doubt it would have the strength to do being a true mage. Cloaks however, given the time period of the game would also be worn often by travelers, I assume. No sane wizard that has played a 1000 rpg's would wear a cloak I'll agree.

The easiest way to disguise a wizard or other caster in a party (a trick I have pulled in dungeons and dragons occasionally) is to dress like a civilian. That way the initial threat assessment will likely pass over you for other targets that seem armed and dangerous.

Not that it would ever work for this game clearly, that would be an awful lot of code to try to determine disguises etc for little real pay-off honestly.

I just wanted to share my opinion on how to be a discreet caster. Cloaks that are very basic fur cloaks or brown/green and undecorated with civilian clothing could work, but they would restrict your somatic components to spells I would think, so that would probably be a reason not to wear one if not needed.

stranger
stranger
Why be discreet?

Originally Posted by ToadStoned
Why be discreet?

Because casters, by and large, are going to be very vulnerable at lower levels due to their typically low HP and armor values.

In D&D particularly, you don't want to be the target of a volley of arrows before you're aware some elves were tracking you, etc etc. People just don't prioritize killing civilians unless it's a clear VIP that affects the attackers, since the civilian is no threat.

I suppose it's possible they might if they're simply wildly and randomly choosing a target, but that's hardly the norm to encounter that kind of hatred in the game.

I guess it's prudent to have the surprise factor as an additional weapon as a caster who typically needs spacing.

In D:OS I don't particularly think casters are that weak, even at close range, which I think is a bit of a problem, but I have yet to truly figure out what good balance would be for the game as I have been more worried about other aspects.

journeyman
journeyman
My last D&D game ended as a druid slicing my own foot off and an ally decapitating me... The result of the dean of students and my friends not liking my literal take on druids being tree huggers, and hugging tree's during combat. Literally hugging a tree, that's less threatening than a civilian, why was I targeted?

I would guess "spite", but perhaps I'm mistaken.

journeyman
journeyman
Close, just regular douchebags.... ahhh college...

stranger
stranger
What does any of this have to do with the OP? This topic is about cloaks, robes, ect. Lets stay focused here.

+1 for the OP.

journeyman
journeyman
Nothing but at this point what has been said about the op is there for the pertinent people to read and eventually respond, not much we can do in the meantime and a small detour of the chat isn't a major crime. All that is left is for people like you to jump on and read, then give a yea or nay or something along those lines.

Last edited by JFSeiki; 23/01/14 11:34 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard