Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hi everyone. I am looking forward to getting this game.

I'd like to know how similar or different it is from Divine Divinity.

What do you think are the elements in it that makes it better than DD and what do you think are the elements in it that makes it terrible compared to DD?

All opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Click below for a Divine Divinity Walthrough (Warriors only!!):

https://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458919#Post458919
S
stranger
stranger
S
Divine Divinity is better as of right now IMO and in my eyes will probably still be better even when/if this game is complete. DD is probably in my top 5 all time games.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hey,

The most obvious difference between the games is the combat system. DD featured real time / action RPG combat, whereas D: OS will have turn-based combat with action points (similar to Shadowrun Returns, X-com:Enemy Unknown, etc.). IMHO this makes D:OS so much better than DD. I'm a big fan of turn-based tactical combat... Hate anything that boils down to button mashing or in the case of DD (hold down the button). I recently tried Divine Divinity for the first time and quit after awhile, largely due to finding the combat so boring.

The other big (also obvious) difference is that D:OS is graphically superior to DD. It will support modern resolutions (widescreen aspect ratios) whereas if you play DD on a modern monitor you're stuck with large black borders and a smaller playing space. D:OS is still isometric, but it looks so much better.

Where the similarities come in, I think, will be that both games have similar quest design. Larian prides themselves on giving the player choices when it comes to how you go about completing a quest. And of course it takes place in the same world with the same lore, etc. though D:OS is actually a prequel.

apprentice
apprentice
In spirit very, in mechanics, not much.

Link Copied to Clipboard