Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#498473 06/06/14 10:07 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't have a lot more than the Steam changelist, but here it is again. I'm sure there are more fixes than these, but it was tough getting the lists while everyone that usually helps us compile these was still hard at work. I'd rather have them do stuff than make lists smile

We hope you see the feedback you are giving is being taken into consideration. We made some changes that come directly from these forums, or Steam, or even other forums.

Code:

Fixed damage calculations for surfaces, which will make surfaces a bit more forgiving
Fixed situation where combat could get stuck
You will not see progression bars (identify, repair, etc...) for invisible characters
The skillbar will no longer contain empty slots when selecting skills in the character creation menu
Fixed errors in certain materials resulting in GPU errors
You can no longer travel to the Homestead when in combat
Changed some impact effects
Fixed HP desync issue
Improved color formatting on tooltips
Optimized texture streamer, resulting in allround better performance
Fixed player characters not correctly looking at NPC characters in a dialog
Reduced memory usage for scripts
Fixed issue where items could dissapear from your inventory
Petpal is no longer visible in talent list for companions
Item combination UI improvements
Fixed worldmap generator to generate nicer minimaps
NPCs will no longer react to surface damage coming from old surfaces
Memory optimizations for particle systems and effect pools, resulting in game client using around 250Mb less runtime memory.
Sneaking will hide your weapons now
Fixed issue in treasure generation, where certain items were preferred more above others
Added movie to telescope in Homestead
Exposed a lot more call to enemy AI scripts. Resulting in more intelligent AI.
Changed max pickpocket weight
Fixed issue with leadership for dead characters
Fixed big memory leak
Fixed issue where certain items could not be reached by the pathfinder
Added nicer water materials for lakes and rivers
Added sound effects to more surfaces
Items moved from story will no longer do hittests and cause unwanted damage
Projectiles shot from staff are fixed
Changed the way range CTH is calculated. Perception is a lot more important now!
Greatly reduced the amount of (unneeded) sound objects created by the game
Added skill level to tooltips
Loading a savegame won't make the partymembers move
Changed camera behaviour in combat. A lot more intelligent focus on targetted characters is the result
Fixed cone spells being cast in opposite direction when targetting too close
Fixed teleport skill
Added UI notifications when equipment is about to break
A lot of small stability fixes + memory improvements

Design:

Fixed seaspider skills not working
Fixed voodoo dolls
Earth summons now do a bit of earth damage
Arrow recovery, Obedient, Armormastery, leadership and luck description
Stats and equipment for Astarte
Snowboots and item combo and treasure
Eglandaer has weapon
Candles now stack
Deleted unused "empty potion" stat
Fixed: crafting knife with crafting 4 created crafting 3 knife
Fixed: dragging potion over ooze barrel no longer destroys barrel
New: can now make lockpicks with needle+needle or with hammer+NiN
New: can now dip arrowhead in ooze barrel to create poison arrowhead
Fixed: turning wood into mush with water bucket no longer destroys bucket
Changed: unbreakable boost only starts from level 16 and higher, when it starts making a difference
Changed: animals now always drop at least 1 thing
Changed: being Lucky and looking in containers now has a chance of finding the "Precious" category
Changed: made 66 changes to food effects: food now heals you less if it has another interesting use, some food types no longer give +2 or higher on primary stats, some foods no longer give high resistance boosts, some foods make you slow, some small alcoholic drinks now have a chance of making you drunk
Fix: changed bloodletting description so it makes sense when you use it on a thing that cannot bleed
Change: treat poisoning now costs more AP but has lower cooldown
Change: helping hand can now also be used to "tap" a burning friend (put it out)
Fix: some drinks were not dropped by treasure
Can now fill bottle with water by combining it with a well
All skill types and schools and classes and such now have the same name everywhere
Renamed Raistlin to Glass Cannon
Rewrote tooltip of Raistlin
Moved bartering ability to Personality category
You get the AP bonus of LoneWolf before AP gets doubled by Raistlin
New damage values for clouds and surfaces
Fixed: All Fear skills
Fixed: Can now eat carrot
Fixed: Gave DKBane skill a more fitting icon
Description of lockpick, clarified
New: Added some item combos with arrowheads that were proposed
New: Can make poison cheese with ooze barrels too
New: some item combos now create more than one instance of end result (e.g. axe + log = 2 branches; knife + branch = 3 arrowshafts; silver + anvil = 4 silver arrowheads
You can now eat Ishmashell (if you dare) or even do other things to it...
Fixed crafting the smokescreen arrow

Tweeting @forktong
B
B
Well, I quote myself from the last's update topic.

"I still think developers should discourage the use of spells as "lock-picks". If you can cast a fireball or whatever to open a chest, and if this is basically a free action, why you should bother to spend skill points on lockpicking? Opening "things" via spells should AT LEAST destroy part of the items inside that thing."

Last edited by Baudolino05; 06/06/14 10:10 PM.
old hand
old hand
We hope you see the feedback you are giving is being taken into consideration.

Most definitely. Ive seen atleast a dozen of suggestions and ideas i threw out implemented, for example. Even though i dont think i was the only one that suggested those.

Considerations about backers and fans input have been visible with every update.

And so... yesterday i started playing the new build and was smacked in the face with the new tooltips that pop up for every single thing if i hold the Alt key...

For example i cant pick up a sea shell without its tooltip obscuring that chunk of space. And its of course much worse in interiors, in places where there is much more loot of all kinds.

There are also some kind of alien green shiny tutorial pop-ups now... that really look out of place. They look like they are from some other game entirely. Or worse, from some OS free icon set...

Those really stand out - in all the wrong possible ways.

The style and colors should fit - be the same as the rest of the game Ui, instead.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but when try convince Cecilia in the bathtub with the Reason option my character had Reason skill at 2 and she at 8, I pressed space to skip the minigame and my character won.

I'm not sure if the outcome is completely random or not, but it just doesn't seem right for my character to win when her skill was four times lower.

EDIT:
BUG: (spelling) The charm option when trying to convince Roberts to give you the gold from the bribe has "reptuation" instead of "reputation".

Last edited by riptide; 07/06/14 10:57 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
The tutorial tooltip when having a companion join for the first time needs to be cleaned up a bit as the title and description text overlap.

See screenshot: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3316087091383835482/3335D333C77AD614072B408ADF9538A891C3A58C/

The wrong verb is used in Victoria's reply to your question if you may borrow books from the library. She asks you to return the books you *lend* but the verb should be *borrow* since you lend something TO somebody (the library lends books to you), but you borrow something FROM somebody (you borrow books from the library).

Screesnhot: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3316087091383829989/DC4CDDDFD250BC34C0A4C686B65CBED33041EAAE/

journeyman
journeyman
The movie at the telescope was kinda funny with the voices..is it suppose to be serious?

old hand
old hand

Fire and poison work much better now. Much, much better.

veteran
veteran
I'm still not happy with the vendor skillbook selection. I have the gold to get "Water of Life", I have the level to get "Water of Life", I have the Ability rank to get "Water of Life", but I can't get it because the vendor isn't selling it. All those level 7 skills aren't doing any good when I'm level 2, but that's what the RNG has decreed I can get and nothing else.

Don't tell me to go level, that's what I'm trying to do and why I need Water of Life in the first place. I don't need a terrible random number generator tying my hands behind my back and preventing me from using tools I am perfectly capable of using.

Also, this and the previous patch have claimed:
- Unbreakable is only available at level 16, but that is not the case, it's on all kinds of things.
- Health bonuses on items are now more substantial, but they don't look like it.

Spellbooks now have a Skill Level written on them, which allegedly is supposed to help you figure out if you can use it without an AP penalty or not, but it really is not helpful in any way. The "Skill Level" doesn't seem related to the actual character level or ability level. It's just confusing. For example, Wildfire is a Player Level 1 skill, but it says "Skill Level 3". It works fine, no AP penalty with only 1 Pyrokinetic. That "Skill Level" information is just unhelpful and confusing.

R
stranger
stranger
R
As far as spellbooks go: don't forget there are FAR too many doubles of the same spell.
In my opinion it should be limited to 2 copies of 1 spell so you get some diversity in the spell selection. Not to mention that it affects the player's freedom of choice (and is thus a source of frustration) as they can't try the desired skill/spell combinations.

You may also wish to consider increasing the amount of skillbooks of a specific skill line one vendor carries.

Last edited by riptide; 07/06/14 11:30 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Possible bug: The Minor Heal spell heals 4 times in 3 turns. I'm not sure what you intended here. Was it healing once per turn for 3 turns? The spell heals once when cast on a character, and 3 times whenever the turn counter ticks down.

The description for the spell is misleading. Saying it heals X hp over 3 turns implies it'll just heal X HP in total over 3 turns, it should say it heals X hp PER turn.

The above might also be true for higher level versions of this spell. You may wish to check that - I can't test it at the moment as they are unavailable to me.

Another bug: The inventory icons and world models for the tong (item repair) and the Trap Disarm Toolkit are the same. I'm sure you intended them to be different as their purpose is different as well.

Last edited by riptide; 08/06/14 09:43 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
There should be additional triggers for vendor restocking

my suggestion:

- if at some point in development you tried to implement the day/night cycle you should have an internal clock, just make a timer and respawn vendor inventories after "X" days.

also, improving equipment does not seem to work currently. When I put a sword on the whetstone wheel, it says I will get a "boosted" version, but the sword stays the same.

veteran
veteran
I've noticed that Larian has changed how a couple of the pressure-plate traps work. For example, in the blacksmith's basement, there's a pressure plate which sets the fireballs to going, and a lever to turn it off. If you weigh down a plate with the oil barrel, and turn the traps off, walking on the pressure plate no longer does anything - it doesn't start the traps up again. Excellent, thank you!

Originally Posted by HansHalber
There should be additional triggers for vendor restocking

my suggestion:

- if at some point in development you tried to implement the day/night cycle you should have an internal clock, just make a timer and respawn vendor inventories after "X" days.

A couple patches ago, if you waited a couple hours with the game running, vendor selection would refresh. Even if that's still in, that's not ideal for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Stabbey; 08/06/14 12:39 PM. Reason: reply
B
B
Game crashed - I quit a co-op game that I hosted. The game went to the loading screen, and froze after a few seconds with the title "Cleaning Up Module" and the text saying "Story". The connected client's game didn't have issues quitting.

I haven't run the game since, so if there are any logs or anything I'd be happy to provide.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Bug Report:

The area to the East of Cyseal has some issues when it comes to fire. Getting anywhere near the fire (1 meter approx.) ends up in guaranteed death. I keep finding pockets of invisible fire that insta-kill you.

Fire is not visible but does critical damage. This is particularly difficult to manage east of Cyseal. After casting rain on the lava/fire the problem persists. Not sure if the fire near lava is correctly registering rain and water being applied to it.

stranger
stranger
The Chest of Eternal Wealth is buggy. I opened it successfully (!), and found moderate loot (an unidentified wand and armor) .. and the chest sat there, looking like an open chest. So I had Madora take it (my main characters are not strong enough) and got the message I expected to get when I first tried to open it .. but it still showed up in Madora's inventory! I then rift-ported to the End of Time, thinking it would be a cool trophy chest and dropped it on the floor, whereupon the game crashed to desktop.

stranger
stranger
The Chest of Eternal Wealth bug is easily reproducible. It can be opened like any other chest. It can be taken into inventory, which triggers the message. It remains visible in inventory (tho it does not have a tooltip). Trying to drop it causes a crash.

Link Copied to Clipboard