Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
apprentice
apprentice
Hey, I'm calling my starter pair of heroes Ragnar & Lagertha. And mark my words, there will be dancing! smile

I mostly come at night...mostly.
journeyman
journeyman
So still no official response to this thread?

Its funny to think that the amount of hours spend in responses to this thread would imo be more than enough to make romances possible laugh

stranger
stranger
How can all of you be missing the touching romance, complete with obvious public displays of affection included in the beta area? How can you overlook Lady Annah and Baron Diederik? Their love is certainly not just skin deep....

Last edited by the Epopt; 25/06/14 02:43 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by the Epopt
How can all of you be missing the touching romance, complete with obvious public displays of affection included in the beta area? How can you overlook Lady Annah and Baron Diederik? Their love is certainly not just skin deep....

I was more curious as to what that soldier was going to do with that female Orc. Her love was magical, but his was real. Could have been a real love affair there ... if she hadn't of slipped and fell all over my sword.

But, I am more interested in what is possible for my PC's of course. (I swear it still feels weird having two PCs).

enthusiast
enthusiast
At this point Darth I think I'll just leave it up to people's reading comprehension skills to make up their own minds, as I am tired of you summarising my arguments into caricatures and dismissing them as bull****. Hopefully people can find something of value in both our perspectives.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Originally Posted by LeBurns

But, I am more interested in what is possible for my PC's of course. (I swear it still feels weird having two PCs).

Just imagine it like a bioware game with an additional companion from the start. smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Originally Posted by LeBurns

Just imagine it like a bioware game with an additional companion from the start. smile

Just so long as you mean classic Bioware, not EABioware.

Originally Posted by Jito463

Just so long as you mean classic Bioware, not EABioware.

Right, Dragon Age and backwards.
Someone should send Hawke to weed out the corruption at EA smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Robcat
At this point Darth I think I'll just leave it up to people's reading comprehension skills to make up their own minds, as I am tired of you summarising my arguments into caricatures and dismissing them as bull****. Hopefully people can find something of value in both our perspectives.

I'm not saying they can't play the "you just assumed wrong" game but I am saying they'd have to be incredibly stupid because it's too obvious they created the perception and assumption which would most definitely qualify as deception. It comes down to what people expect and want and not delivering on desires and expectations they created themselves would be underhanded. Is that so hard to understand? You can describe any relationship as "interesting and potentially intimate" but unless it's clear that it's romantic it would be pointless. Oh the characters shared an interesting joke and they like both smiled and they depended on each other for so long to survive in battle so that's potentially intimate....sure....but the same could be said about the mindless shooty protagonists of Call Of Gears Warfare featuring Shooty McShooty so trying to make an argument that would in any way make a believable argument that there might be some romantic connection will leave people wondering what you've been smoking.

It's not my intention to smash your arguments into caricatures but I'm just not seeing how you could think Larian can try to pass an argument for "Well it's interesting and potentially intimate" in an attempt to excuse blatant lack of romance without sounding like they're pulling at straws in an attempt to deceive and excuse their failure to deliver on something they made out to be a very important feature. The perfect example that comes to mind is BioWare promising great variety of endings that took player choices seriously in Mass Effect 3 and then turning around and trying to excuse the absence of those as "artistic vision" and trying to twist arguments about how our choices technically mattered and how it's all about the journey, not the destination and on and on and on.....but none of that for one second excused the fact that they promised something to the point it became an absolutely central reason to buy the game and then delivered the complete opposite. People were looking at them like....are you f****** kidding me? They expect us to accept arguments of "artistic vision", "artistic integrity" and technical shenanigans as excuses? That IS bull**** and I'm sorry if you're feeling offended but there really is no better way to put it than bull****.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
they made out to be a very important feature.

It was never made out to be a very important feature. It was mentioned in passing when describing the affinity / affection tracking, and in response to direct questions about romance. And for direct questions about the cover art of them holding hands, they specifically said that was not romantic.

A Christmas graphic including mistletoe (and specifically not a kiss, BTW) and the use of the most popular lipstick colour does not confirm romance. A graphic of a woman with cleavage holding hands does not prove romance. Contrary to your opinion, a woman can hold hands with friends, relatives or colleges regardless of their choice of attire or breast size.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
*Stuff*

Ok smile It happens that sometimes people just can't make themselves understood to each other. It's pretty funny in this case as we do agree that Larian have created the expectation of romance. I also agree it would be bull**** (aka straight up dishonest) to claim people misinterpreted the comments about becoming lovers. Or to brush potential complaints off as people being wrong to assume some form of romantic content (however you might define romance) in the game. But that presupposes that Larian have indeed cut all forms of romantic content - so let's not jump to conclusions as the game hasn't released yet.

Our point of contention is that I consider the artwork (3 pieces ITT) and title by themselves to be insufficient evidence to conclude that romance (as commonly understood to include a sexual component resulting from a series of romantic dialogue choices) is in the game.

And to repeat myself, this is where our argument gets confusing... because yes, definitions are crucially important in arguments, which is the reason why academic articles will begin by defining their terms yes? Concepts like romance and love are notoriously malleable and open to varied interpretation - hence my astonishment that you seem to find it hard to believe I can look at the artwork/cover/title to see and expect something different from another person. Or that a romantic interpretation is somehow so strong and obvious as to indicate the extent of the protagonists intimacy.

As it is I'm left wondering what you are smoking wink (Though this is not a very helpful thing to say is it? Ie it is insubstantial and inconsequential to the argument. As is claiming I am arguing that the sky is not blue, or making a mountain into some dirt, or that I am trying to sweep something under the rug, or arguing circularly that it is obvious because it is obvious.)

Question: Do you think the artwork and title by themselves, obviously and with no logical capacity to expect otherwise, indicate a bioware-style romance? If not necessarily a bioware style romance, do you then concede that our conception of romance is important in forming people's expectations for this game? Can you then see how this relates to my point that people will expect different things from the art and game itself according to their conception of romance?

To take the definition you gave "...but defining romance is VERY simple....a stated sentiment between the characters that reoccurs at least a couple of times", I would have no problem agreeing with you that we should all expect romance to be in the game, because it is virtually certain that sentiments will be stated between the characters many times.

The reason I am harping on about definitions is not to make some abstract theoretical point but to help illustrate my view that people can and will draw different interpretations from the art & title according to their personal conception of romance... not to mention their interpretation of humanity's original sin, capacity to find meanings in art, cultural background, pre-knowledge of the game and just because hey, we are all different.

To repeat myself, I don't deny that one can draw romantic meanings from the art and title. I am disputing your claim that the romantic meanings are so profound and abundant as to over-ride all other potential meanings and set expectations for the game.

I am saying they'd have to be incredibly stupid because it's too obvious they created the perception and assumption which would most definitely qualify as deception. It comes down to what people expect and want and not delivering on desires and expectations they created themselves would be underhanded. Is that so hard to understand?

Not at all difficult, I agree with this. You lose me with the remainder of that paragraph though. Again, we may have to agree to disagree about the extent and ways Larian have created expectations and what those expectations can reasonably be. We are arguing a moot point anyway because Larian did make those public statements about becoming lovers.

Not to worry though, I'm not personally offended beyond feeling irked that I am apparently unable to effectively communicate my position to you. I did appreciate the tone of your last post more than previous ones though, thank you. And I do appreciate your sincerity.

All that Bioware ME3 stuff you mention... Yeah, couldn't agree more. An example of a complete f*** you to their fans and I have no problems with you or anyone calling bull*** on that... BECAUSE they explicitly promised something misleading to customers - Not because of some artwork or title that is so culturally value-laden as to be open to diverse interpretation.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
enthusiast
enthusiast
Why do I get the feeling Raze was able to say more, and more effectively, than I was able to in my entire rant post?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Robcat
Why do I get the feeling Raze was able to say more, and more effectively, than I was able to in my entire rant post?

Not really....sure a woman could do all that without meaning romantic love but this isn't a woman....it's a character designed to a specific purpose and when all those features are so accentuated nobody will look at this and think "Ooooh they're gonna be best buds!!!" not in western culture where you'll catch more than a few shifty looks if two men hold hands....that's just the reality we live in not a speech about what it could technically be and political correctness. And again there's every possible parallel with the other widely known story of Original Sin. I'm not seeing anything in Raze's comment I haven't addressed a dozen times over....sure things *could* be interpreted a different way but it's blatantly obvious that wasn't the perception and assumptions Larian were trying to instigate. So they have painted themselves in a corner with this I think.

There's going to be a lot of fun reading around here if Larian end up having to explain how we totally misinterpreted everything and how they totally didn't mean romance.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 26/06/14 10:10 AM.
Support
Support

For a Rorschach Test, a psychiatrist shows a guy a series of ink blots and asks him what he sees. The man answers, in series:

"A man and a woman making love in a park."
"A man and a woman making love in a boat."
"A man and a woman making love at the beach."

At the end of the test, the psychiatrist looks over his notes and says, "It looks like you have a preoccupation with sex."

"Me!?" the man demands, "You're the one who keeps showing me the dirty pictures!"

G
stranger
stranger
G
Looks like having cyber-seks with npcs is a serious matter for some, and probably the reason they bought the game.
Weirdos.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

For a Rorschach Test, a psychiatrist shows a guy a series of ink blots and asks him what he sees. The man answers, in series:

"A man and a woman making love in a park."
"A man and a woman making love in a boat."
"A man and a woman making love at the beach."

At the end of the test, the psychiatrist looks over his notes and says, "It looks like you have a preoccupation with sex."

"Me!?" the man demands, "You're the one who keeps showing me the dirty pictures!"

Pictures aside, here you go some official statement:

The main characters relationship is not specifically a love story. You can certainly take it in that direction if you wish. They may become enemies, business associates, friends, or even lovers depending on how you develop them. Will they end up as friends and even lovers, or do they have to learn to live together out of sheer necessity?

If even THIS isn't confirmation romance, then I do not know what more you want.
Swen Vincke with a large sign "WE HAVE ROMANCE IN ORIGINAL SIN" on his chest?

Last edited by Edvin; 26/06/14 12:24 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Edvin
Pictures aside, here you go some official statement:

The main characters relationship is not specifically a love story. You can certainly take it in that direction if you wish. They may become enemies, business associates, friends, or even lovers depending on how you develop them. Will they end up as friends and even lovers, or do they have to learn to live together out of sheer necessity?

If even THIS isn't confirmation romance, then I do not know what more you want.
Swen Vincke with a large sign "WE HAVE ROMANCE IN ORIGINAL SIN" on his chest?

Where is that from? How old is it?

Support
Support

Nobody has explicitly said there will be no romance option possible in the game (Swen, I think, referring to Bioware style 'romance' in the twitch stream), or that it wasn't said there would be. One of the endings for the game being romantic fits with the official statements, though, and was what I was assuming would be the case.

journeyman
journeyman
I give up.
This problem became too debilitating.
I'll wait for the release.

journeyman
journeyman
i thought that when Swen was referring to Bioware style of romance in the twitch that he actually meant that there wont be sex screens-lets have sex now or smt along these lines

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard