Print Thread
#504165 01/07/14 07:21 AM
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Hi,

after the first few hours into the so called final version of this game I think I have seen enough crap to let the game rest, not start again until those bug fixes are out.
Have been playing the early access versions (that did not sport that much bugs, btw.), and had hoped for something similar with more content and a working editor.

Instead the "final" version does:
- not allow me to pan the screen other then horizontally, and then only in one direction (to get back I have to use pos1)
- enable every NPC that has one line of text to speak this line, loud - and repeatedly
- only run with Steam running (especially weird because the eddie refuses to run without Steam), and I can remember a statement from Larian that said something about the final version not needing steam after installation.

There are a couple more things that only did show up after installing the "final" version, but all in all there is just one question for me:

when will this crap be fixed?

Due to the nature of the Steam forum I stopped posting there, and - sorry to say, and I hope this is not offending - I really do not want to actually discuss these things.
All I want is to know when this game will be ready to play (without seeing these bugs).

Thank you for reading...

veteran
veteran
Such amazing trolling in 3 points. Let me try a tentative answer.

point 3: get over it. steam works like this. If you don't like steam, get a GOG version. It's impossible that larian said that.
point 2: we have already made many posts about this. Until a banter slider option is enforced, we'll have to wait.
point 1: I too have expressed concern about the camera. but I wouldn't call it an invalidating feature.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 01/07/14 07:26 AM.
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Exactly the kind of answer that is Steam - compatible.
Thank you, very much.

veteran
veteran
Look, I dislike steam, but on a certain pov, I find it less frustrating than:

1-pirating
2-having to manually update like the old times.
3-searching for cds that can be scratched and ruined forever.

It's just steam that it's stupid, not the game.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Such amazing trolling in 3 points. Let me try a tentative answer.

point 3: get over it. steam works like this. If you don't like steam, get a GOG version. It's impossible that larian said that.

Bullshit, there are several games which work without steam but if one has no clue...

veteran
veteran
Such as? example.

EDIT: and NO, games created before steam existed do NOT count. Such as Populous the Beginning.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 01/07/14 07:43 AM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Centration, Divinity Original Sin wink , Faster than Light.

Just three examples I played myself without steam.

Last edited by Bobylein; 01/07/14 07:55 AM.
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
>>> "...It's just steam that it's stupid, not the game."<<<
Never said that.
What I said is something about the crappy state of the game, where a "final" has more bugs then every early access beta.

veteran
veteran
what you call bugs may not be bug at all...

H
stranger
stranger
H
For what it's worth you can run the game from your SteamApps folder without Steam running. Doesn't have to be in offline mode for it to work.

addict
addict
Option menu -> game -> camera -> enable full Rotation.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
4verse #504285 01/07/14 10:14 AM
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
>>> Option menu -> game -> camera -> enable full Rotation. <<<

Had this from the start.
Turned to use A,S,D,W. Works, but panning with the mouse had been more smooth.
Anyway, thank you for mentioning...

Support
Support

How were you trying to pan the screen, that wasn't working?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hello,
I didnt have a lot of time to try but for dragon commander they said it was drm free. I got the steam version and was able to play lan with my other computer without steam....maybe for now we can t for some reason but maybe Larian will be able to do the same for DOS.

Raze #504370 01/07/14 12:12 PM
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Raze

How were you trying to pan the screen, that wasn't working?

It worked during the early access period by moving the mouse cursor to the edges of the screen. Vertically/horizontally.
After the "final" it only works in a random fashion - I can pan either left or right, up or down with no way to pan back.

A,S,D,W is working, but not as smooth as the mouse panning had been.
Makes a difference if I try to "scan ahead" for possible nasties.

Support
Support

No, you should be able to start D:OS directly, without needing the Steam client.

Originally Posted by zerebrush
- only run with Steam running (especially weird because the eddie refuses to run without Steam), and I can remember a statement from Larian that said something about the final version not needing steam after installation.
Follow the instructions here to get a Steam version of D:OS running without the Steam Client.

I would also point out that this release is not only far from final, but is arguably still late-beta as it includes a lot of debug/error-logging code. Anyone looking for a smooth gaming experience should always hold off until the first public patch (and for complex RPGs, probably the third or fourth).

Last edited by Stargazer; 01/07/14 12:32 PM.
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Originally Posted by zerebrush
Follow the instructions here to get a Steam version of D:OS running without the Steam Client.

I would also point out that this release is not only far from final, but is arguably still late-beta as it includes a lot of debug/error-logging code. Anyone looking for a smooth gaming experience should always hold off until the first public patch (and for complex RPGs, probably the third or fourth).

Well - thank you VERY much, really!

Although I am not that knew to when to purchase games, it seems I tend to believe developers quite a lot. Especially when they seem to care more then about making money.
Lesson learned (repeatedly :)).

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hello,
I justget back from work and i can confirm that like dragon commander , you just need to click on the exe to start the game. No need to do anything to start it without steam.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hi Zerebrush,

It looks like the setting you want is available in the game options.

From the manual:
Enable edge panning: This allows you to push the camera in any
direction by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen. If set,
you can also set the Panning Speed bar anywhere from -3 (slowest
panning) to 3 (fastest panning). When this is disabled, you can still
move the camera with the arrow keys.

Link Copied to Clipboard