Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#520328 15/07/14 11:24 PM
Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings all,

This is a simple mod created which allows a hassle-free way tthe vanilla experience 4 player without Hex Editor and .pak files. All done safely from the Steam Workshop.

It isn't the most sophisticated, but it is what it simply is.

Simply 4 Player Steam Workshop
This is a very simple mod which allows up to two more people to join your game where they can control the companions/henchmen.

This shouldn't require updates and work whatever the version you have installed.

I am planning on doing an 'Extended 4 Player' in the future which would allow the customisation of four characters, but this is simply for those who are daunted by Hex Editors or cannot be bothered to change the Main.pak after every daily update.

Note: This currently only works for games created with this mod activated. I will remedy this to allow for existing games created without this mod activated if it is possible

I am trying to find a way where it can retroactively work for current games outside of Savegame Editing. This would make this simple mod work better.

If you want to talk about 'Extended 4 Player' ideas, feel free to post those too.

Added Non-Steam download at Mega so you can join in with your Steam buddies.

Issues downloading the mod? Try this: (thanks to seraJard):
if you can't find this mod in your mod directory after downloaded, you should find your downloaded mod file in this location.

Dir~\Steam\userdata\

Search for: '4_player_mode*.pak' then you will get its location.
Move this file to the '~\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\Mods'

Last edited by Tiaexz; 16/07/14 12:50 PM. Reason: non-steam
O
stranger
stranger
O
awesome! We are waiting for a "extended" 4 player mod before we play this game. Would it be possible to make it so that all 4 players can start from the beginning? That, and being able to customize the henchmen are all we need.

Good luck

O
stranger
stranger
O
regarding dialogue. how difficult would it be to let each henchman be linked to one of the two main characters?

Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Just added a non-Steam link and a little thing to help those having difficulties in downloading from the workshop.

I was messing around with that last night, Olje. From the looks of it, it has to be done this way:
Create a new player3 and player4 object.
Create the dialogues and linked resources for these (or cannabalise them from others)
Create a new 'Starting Level'.
Possibly have to edit the Cyrael level too, I would prefer not to do this if it can be avoided.

I will be looking at doing step 1 and 2, these seem to be steps I can do without much guidiance and it is a matter of tracking down resources. Step 3 is something I would have to self-learn using the toolkit, and check up level editing guides.

If step 4 can be avoided, I may update the Simple mod with the new characters, because unless Larian does a big change in the character creation which impacts 3, it should survive countless updates. Obviously, if I am also able to pull this off in some fashion. This would allow other modders to use this starting level with some brief edits for their custom maps and campaigns.

So should be win-win if it occurs for everyone involved.

Edit: And saying that, I haven't been able to find where abouts the files I am looking for are...

Last edited by Tiaexz; 16/07/14 02:14 PM.
Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
As for progress on extended. I have got Players 3 and 4 in on a character customisation level with their names. Just need to figure how out to get them placed in a nice arrangement, then look to see if I can get options up for them. Once I get the character customisation side done, then I will have to do some testing.

Update:

So I got the characters, I got them in the right position, etc.

Issues so far:
- They are naked
- Not able to find the interface options to do customisation (maybe linked to the first point)

Screen

Last edited by Tiaexz; 16/07/14 08:01 PM.
Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Good news, the characters are no longer naked and completely loading with random appearance/armour and such.

Just need to track down that pesky GUI custom option.

[Linked Image]

Those edit the two on the left. This means the customisation is fully working on all the characters. Basically, this means when the GUI is edited with another two panes, all 4 characters should be able to be edited and used.

After that would be playtesting. I currently made player3/4 run from Henchman scripts.

Edit: I think I found what I need to edit. Unfortunately, it is in .swf and not .fla which makes a lot trickier. I will try to contact a Larian dev to see if they are generous.

Last edited by Tiaexz; 17/07/14 12:07 AM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
This is fantastic! Your progress has already been great and I love the drive you're putting into it! Keep up the great work man, if this comes to fruition it's going to be huge.

Please continue to post updates regularly as well, I'll be looking towards this mod with loads of anticipation.

stranger
stranger
This really deserves more attention! Good job so far, would be awesome if this becomes a reality. What exactly is it that doesn't currently work?

O
stranger
stranger
O
hell yea!

stranger
stranger
I registered for two things :

1) To thank Larian Studios for making this gem of a game.
2) To thank every modder out that is "working" on a project (expecially the 4 players one)

It's a good thing to have such mod and i'm looking forward to it when it's completed so i can thank you again .

Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Etto
This is fantastic! Your progress has already been great and I love the drive you're putting into it! Keep up the great work man, if this comes to fruition it's going to be huge.

Please continue to post updates regularly as well, I'll be looking towards this mod with loads of anticipation.

I have hit a brick-wall when it comes to editing the GUI, due to the .swf format and if I manage to overcome this, I am not entirely sure if it can be uploaded to the workshop due to restrictions, so maybe a download.

I requested Larian if we can get access to the .fla files to make this easier. If not, I will need to find someone who has a .swf decompiler and hope something workable comes out of that.

Alternative for appearance is to engage with the mirror, but that still leaves an issue with name and class.

Edit:
Just thinking of long-term plans as of now, this mentally seems to be the best route to go down >
- Get the mod to the stage where it is 'playable' (loose term)
- Attempt at QC and Public Beta, will do a new topic with a new name.
- Start looking at dialogue, interactions and scripting side to improve the experience.
- Will take a look at level designing.
- My aim is to get this all done before October, ideally. Because I am attending Medical School and that will eat up my time. Studies and placements, been a while!

Last edited by Tiaexz; 17/07/14 02:47 PM.
Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Mace has generously provided me with a decompiled copy of the .swf file, so it looks like I am resume my efforts. I have little experience in actually developing/using flash, but I am generally a quick learner, so I will see what I can do, and post if I hit into a brick-wall for some advice.

Edit:
I had to resort to using a Flash Trial in order to edit the .fla, it looks like for 30 days at least, I should be able to make adjustments. The decompile wasn't perfect, but it did provide the source picture files and actionscripts, so I might be able to remake it from using those. First priority is to see if I can edit it, compile it and get it working in the game.

Last edited by Tiaexz; 17/07/14 06:44 PM.
Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Findings so far:
- The game doesn't recognise /Public/Modname/GUI folder
- Experimented by putting it into /Public/Game/GUI which the game recognised, but caused it to crash so hard, I had to log-off my windows user account and log back in, to free my system up from it.

Since the crash occurred simply by having minor changes to it. I am going to do two experiments:
- Try unaltered characterCreation.swf in that same location.
- Try recompiled version of characterCreation.swf.

This will tell me if it is the fact its there, or if it is an issue witth the decompiled/compiled. If both work, it means it was down to my edits, which is the most 'positive'. The most negative is it failing with the default, it means I have to put the work on hold until Larian change the system. The second one would be an issue with the decompiled/re-compiled version, which means I have to mess around or hope Larian release the original .fla file.

Fingers crossed.

Update:
Good news, the extracted version is working. Now to test step 2.
Bad news, the compiling of the decompiled didn't work.

stranger
stranger
Loving the updates, keep them coming!

Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
I have to be honest, these files do some really weird things.

For example, I open the extracted file in flashplayer in the extraction folder, it works fine. I move it out of that folder (to, lets say, the desktop), and then it doesn't work.

So it looks like the files are linked to some other files within the extracted area. Not sure how important these are, but this is a crucial different and might be part of why the decompiled is not working.

Found!:
The files read fonts_en.swf

Edit:
Yeah, the decompiled files are causing a very nasty crash, I may need to put the project on hold till Larian releases source for the .swf's. I can try experimenting with creating one from scratch, but I am a little out of my depth, so unsure how successful that would be.

Last edited by Tiaexz; 17/07/14 08:41 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
same problem here... i am keeping a eye on your updates.

stranger
stranger
I was thinking going totally different direction (single player mod) but then theres same problem with GUI. Also removing all GUI elements from view would be nice (unless summoned via keypress).
Never touched flash elements except on one class 5 years ago so mostlikely wont remember anything but lets see what I can dig out.

Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
I have started working on one from basically from scratch. I am using some web-tutorials to try to reproduce the basic functions but I haven't a clue what the impact will be within the game environment and that is if I manage to get the barebones.

From what I have seen with the decompiled files, the GUI does have a lot of functions which push into the game to cause certain effects then calls upon a refresh (hence the jerkiness of changing appearance, etc). I may explore/look at these to try to find the 'receiving end'. but I have an ugly feeling these might even be in the .exe

So fingers cross someone from Larian sees this and wants to endow us with sticks and stones to go along with the fire.

Last edited by Tiaexz; 17/07/14 11:32 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
would you mind sharing those tutorials if you have them? smile

Tiaexz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Feared
would you mind sharing those tutorials if you have them? smile

Sad to say, they are not that great and I got them from google. =/

They were mostly things like 'how to get a button working'. Was doing the root of trying to do that, then use that to call upon existing actionscripts which were salvaged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard