Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#525728 23/07/14 10:01 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In a nutshell, this is a tool that patches your editor files to remove the protection on the main campaign. This is equivalent to grant you "developer rights" and to let you alter the campaign, without creating a mod.

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogwuv8vhs12l1w6/Divinity%20Engine%20Developer%20Patch.zip

Important warning: this is for testing purpose only. Do NOT try to create a mod by altering the main campaign and zipping the result, it won't work. Mods still have to be created with the usual process.
If you don't know exactly what you're doing, the chances are very high that you'll break the game and have to reinstall it. Use your developer rights at your own risk.
Every time a new version of the editor is released by Larian, you'll have to patch again. Just restart the tool, it should be flexible enough to work even with future releases.

The zip contains an executable and the source code for Visual Studio 2013. The code is Public Domain.

old hand
old hand
And i was just thinking how would i go about changing the main campaign in a more easier way.

Thank you very much.

You say that this altered version could not be transformed into a mod other could use then?
For example, i would like to slightly adjust and add some smaller stuff to a few early quests in Cysael.

How would i go about making it available to other players then, as a mod, after i used your patch to alter the main campaign?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Modding the main campaign is known to be tough, mostly because you can never be sure of the loading order of mods when the game starts.
This means that, if you duplicate an existing resource from the campaign to your mod folder and alter it (say, for example, change the position of an existing NPC) it will only work half of the time, when your mod is loaded AFTER the campaign.
When your mod is loaded first, the main campaign data will overwrite the position defined by your mod and you'll see the NPC at its old position in game.

The only approach that works every time is to make sure that you only add content to the campaign and don't alter/remove anything. The trick is to remember that the added content can be a script that alters/removes another content of your choice. If you trigger the script when the game is fully loaded, you can be sure that it'll be executed AFTER all other mods (including the main campaign and your mod) and that it'll have the final word.

Link Copied to Clipboard