Print Thread
#529533 27/07/14 03:04 PM
M
Mipsy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I've been experiencing this problem on multiple levels and maps. Some of the areas inside the map get corrupted and are basically untouchable in terms of terrain. You can still walk on them but you cannot tweak the terrain without it totally spazzing out. I've attached some screenshots below.

[Linked Image]

Here you'll see the level from below. There are a lot of holes inside the terrain. I've tried all default terrain options from extrusion to cutting and they don't seem to patch up and of these holes. (Cutting it actually forces the game to freeze)

[Linked Image]

Another sign that the error is occurring is when you try to lay down texture and it comes out in blocks. You'll see above that Coastal Stone C doesn't come off the brush smoothly and stops abruptly in a straight line.

[Linked Image]

Next is if you try to erase any of the terrain you'll basically get the effect as shown above. Pieces of terrain will start disappearing when they're not even inside the radius of the brush. They start disappearing in a rectangular fashion.

[Linked Image]

Here's what happens when you erase enough. The whole thing bugs out and freezes. Also parts of the map that were okay to initially tinker with (most of the green areas) turn black and bug out as well.

I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions when my maps have gotten too big and too detailed in terms of texturing. I'm not exactly sure how to reliably fix this except for deleting the terrain tabs on the right side (You can keep the shape and massing of the terrain but have to delete your terrain palette.) While this isn't exactly a real solution it's the best I could think of without tampering with anything outside the engine itself. I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a solution to this without wiping out all terrain data. I've lost over 20 hours of work due to this bug on multiple occasions. I'd like to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

TLDR: Holes in Terrain are fixable by deleting your terrain palettes. Need a real solution without losing hours of work.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I've found that if you use a paint, know exactly what you want to do with it and finish it all in one go. Reloading the level seems to cause this bug, but if you add a new paint and continue on it'll be ok. Hopefully this does get fixed soon.

M
Mipsy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Yeah I guess that'd work but the size of some of the maps people are working on is much larger than Cyseal. There's no way you'd ever finish that all in one go. I just tried uh going into 'player' mode and coming out. Doesn't do anything either. It said "attempted to divide by 0" when I tried to add terrain to a bugged area.

old hand
old hand
Anyone knows whats the terrain size of a map like Cysael, actually?

- yeah, nvm. moving on.

Last edited by Hiver; 27/07/14 10:16 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hiver
Anyone knows whats the terrain size of a map like Cysael, actually?

The main land of Cyseal (Terrain_000) is 512x512.
Small caves are dug into 2 other terrains (Terrain_001 and Terrain_002). Both are 512x128.
And the Black Cove dungeon which is a separate level has 2 terrains of size 256x256.

old hand
old hand
Thanks. Just starting to try building first map so that kind of info helps to wrap my mind general sizes of the world more easily.

Link Copied to Clipboard