Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FromHolland
Well for the animations I found that the "empty" model for the player and female contains actual animations, when you add a visual resource to that (with the correct bone names I assume) it should animate. I was experimenting with this but somehow in the whole exporting proces the bone name changed from Bip001 R Hip, to Bip001_R_Hip (something like that) so I couldnt test to see it working...

I'm actually having more problems importing my models more then anything. Lstools gives me an error. And it will actually import into the game but without its texture or rigging. Basically a static model. Been messing around with converting it to different types of FBX with no real luck frown

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Demonata08
Well for the animations I found that the "empty" model for the player and female contains actual animations, when you add a visual resource to that (with the correct bone names I assume) it should animate. I was experimenting with this but somehow in the whole exporting proces the bone name changed from Bip001 R Hip, to Bip001_R_Hip (something like that) so I couldnt test to see it working...

I'm actually having more problems importing my models more then anything. Lstools gives me an error. And it will actually import into the game but without its texture or rigging. Basically a static model. Been messing around with converting it to different types of FBX with no real luck frown

What exactly is the error message and what are you trying to convert? Maybe we can help you, and if not, maybe Norbyte can ;p

journeyman
journeyman
well static models should be fine, for the texture problem, you need to assign the texture as a material to the mesh (double click the model in the resource manager)

OP Offline
well static models should be fine, for the texture problem, you need to assign the texture as a material to the mesh (double click the model in the resource manager)

What do you mean "should be fine" exactly? they dont move lol.. without the rigging it doesnt do anything frown

Last edited by Demonata08; 15/08/14 05:48 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
yeh i mean like houses and stuff like that smile

OP Offline
I'm trying to do character models. So static models won't work.

heres the error for reference

[Linked Image]

it either shows that or just closes

Last edited by Demonata08; 15/08/14 06:09 PM.
N
addict
addict
N

Unfortunately the (official) FBX -> GR2 exporter is veeery broken, if you feed it a file that somehow doesn't resemble the one it wants it'll crash like that.
What FBX file version are you trying to export with?

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
What exactly is the error message and what are you trying to convert? Maybe we can help you, and if not, maybe Norbyte can ;p

Well the current exporter is only a temporary solution until a custom one is made.
Can 3ds export to .DAE, and does it export skeletal meshes properly? If so, I'll look into writing a proper .GR2 <-> .DAE converter. Mmost other mesh formats are either proprietary and/or undocumented (like .FBX) or are incapable of storing skel meshes or other relevant stuff (like .OBJ)

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you ask me what the best solution is I'd say a 3dsmax plugin/script that directly exports to GR2 wink AS you say, besides FBX there are not a lot of alternatives.... Collada import/export in c4d at least does not support IK

Ps.: I only ever tested fbx to gr2 conversion with FBX 7.3 files and with FBX the version numbers are VERY important.

I don't even know another model format that supports IK besides fbx

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 15/08/14 10:20 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Norbyte

Unfortunately the (official) FBX -> GR2 exporter is veeery broken, if you feed it a file that somehow doesn't resemble the one it wants it'll crash like that.
What FBX file version are you trying to export with?

The offical converter doesnt tell me the version number. just years. Its a 2013 FBX file. Tried 2012 with no error from lstools, as well as 2008, 2009 and 2010 All no errors but still doesnt import everything.

If you ask me what the best solution is I'd say a 3dsmax plugin/script that directly exports to GR2 wink AS you say, besides FBX there are not a lot of alternatives.... Collada import/export in c4d at least does not support IK

Ps.: I only ever tested fbx to gr2 conversion with FBX 7.3 files and with FBX the version numbers are VERY important.

See i thought there were different types of gr2 formats and larian had their own type, So that wouldnt work. I might be wrong on that.. Just i have tried a few different converters from other games that work with gr2 and they always throw errors with divinity files.

Last edited by Demonata08; 16/08/14 01:43 AM.
N
addict
addict
N
See i thought there were different types of gr2 formats and larian had their own type, So that wouldnt work. I might be wrong on that.. Just i have tried a few different converters from other games that work with gr2 and they always throw errors with divinity files.

Each Granny SDK has a slightly different version of the GR2 format, so there *are* different versions, although their format is similar.

I haven't seen any sign of IK support in the current .gr2 files; what extra data do you need for that besides the usual "bones + weights + influences" thing?

enthusiast
enthusiast
IK is what I call "hierarchy + bones + weighting + influence" for laziness reasons ,) IK itself is obviously just a solver... wink

Optimally we'd need a 3dsmax gr2 importer/exporter plugin wink TES modding only took off when the Nif tools allowed you to import an original source mesh + skeleton and bone/weighting, see how it worked, apply changes, and see how changes applied to the game.

The GR2 viewer makes it possible to see the skeleton, but we can't export a mesh bound to that skeleton...

In the end, I feel like it might be easier to just ask Larian directly... maybe their animator and model artists tell us how to do it...

OP Offline
IK is what I call "hierarchy + bones + weighting + influence" for laziness reasons ,) IK itself is obviously just a solver... wink

Optimally we'd need a 3dsmax gr2 importer/exporter plugin wink TES modding only took off when the Nif tools allowed you to import an original source mesh + skeleton and bone/weighting, see how it worked, apply changes, and see how changes applied to the game.

The GR2 viewer makes it possible to see the skeleton, but we can't export a mesh bound to that skeleton...

In the end, I feel like it might be easier to just ask Larian directly... maybe their animator and model artists tell us how to do it...

That's my thoughts exactly. And i'm sure they will tell us. Or update the editor for models. They did say they wanted this to be a game builder. Cant build a game if you cant use your own models lol.

That's why i'm shelving this little project for now. Though i do have most of the first chapter completed. It just feels really bland without the model and class changes i had been talking about earlier. Thats what the people want after all, What i want frown

N
addict
addict
N
That's my thoughts exactly. And i'm sure they will tell us. Or update the editor for models. They did say they wanted this to be a game builder. Cant build a game if you cant use your own models lol.

I believe RAD Game Tools stuff (including Granny) is covered by NDAs, so they can't really publish them unless they work out something with RAD ... smirk

W
stranger
stranger
W
Is the stand-alone sneak mod shelved for now as well? How long have you guys been creating mods by the way? I've been reading all the posts and its like a foreign language lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by wolfchasingmoon
Is the stand-alone sneak mod shelved for now as well? How long have you guys been creating mods by the way? I've been reading all the posts and its like a foreign language lol

To be fair this isn't much about normal modding, it's a very complex graphics related thing we are concerned with. Currently there is no way to really change character models (ie, make new models for them like weapons, hairs, new body models etc....). All we can do is remove stuff via modding and replacement, but we can't add new stuff.

I can't really call myself a modder, I never released an own mod.. aside maybe ages ago for Star Ruler (Which is a game I worked on as artist too (Yes, you can blame me for the ugly graphics to an extend but there is reasons for everything, "no ship count limit" being one of them ,P) But messing around with modding stuff mostly for myself since 2000 wink

So basically I am more a 3d-artist than a modder... but both skill sets kinda merge most of the time. And for Skyrim I adapted a few robe meshes for slim (A to C cup) body types since 99% of the armor meshes are all for E or F-CUP... (If you don't know what I mean no worries)

Either way.... The editor has a few "issues" because of Larian's use of RadGameTools..

OP Offline
Originally Posted by wolfchasingmoon

No, I'm very much interested in working on that. not just for this mod but for the new project im working on. The sneak animation just doesnt fit for a serious game lol. Although altering the sneak animation may not be possible now. I still have a few ideas on how to do it laugh

Originally Posted by Norbyte

I believe RAD Game Tools stuff (including Granny) is covered by NDAs, so they can't really publish them unless they work out something with RAD ... smirk

Based on what they are saying for the future of the editor, I'd believe they will actually add their own fbx to gr2 converter. Or make it possible to use files other then gr2 for it.

Just conjecture but.. I mean if you look at their trailer for divinity engine, Thats in the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Demonata08; 16/08/14 06:25 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard