Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Beche de mer! This is awesome! Thanks, guys.

Lots of people didn't like having to *use* the magnifying glass, even on the taskbar.

Have I just had my head in the sand, or did I miss an update?

As far as I know this has always been in the released game. Dunno about beta. smile

addict
addict
Same with repairing items. Took me a while to see they where both there. And here I was moving magnifying glasses and repair hammers.

BAAAAAAH! Curses! I had no idea. Does it still work if you keep your magnifying glass and your hammer in a backpack?

Also, "using" the glass and the hammer lets you ID/repair gear of one character from another character, doesn't it? Since the game isn't smart enough to just use the highest party skill...

Seriously, D:OS should borrow a couple things from Drakensang.

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I learn something new everyday...

I've always used it by right clicking after I noticed it was there when I was sending it to Jahan to identify. I never once thought to actually do the whole drag and drop with the glass or the hammer.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by tarasis
I've always used it by right clicking after I noticed it was there when I was sending it to Jahan to identify. I never once thought to actually do the whole drag and drop with the glass or the hammer.

Lucky (ie observant) bastard! wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
I didnt know that either smile

R
RtM Offline
R
This is amazing.

W
W
And I didn't know you could do it with drag and drop either!

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
BAAAAAAH! Curses! I had no idea. Does it still work if you keep your magnifying glass and your hammer in a backpack?

Also, "using" the glass and the hammer lets you ID/repair gear of one character from another character, doesn't it? Since the game isn't smart enough to just use the highest party skill...

Seriously, D:OS should borrow a couple things from Drakensang.

This has nothing to do with the game not being smart. This is the oldschool pen and paper RPG feeling that is present in the game. If you play DnD and one guy can pick a lock, that does not mean the entire party can do this.

The entire point of heaving stats, talents, skills and abilities for each character is that each character takes it's own role in the party. One guy can be a good smith while another one is food in bartering.
That's why we call them ROLE playing games ;-)

I agree with this on some level, but not entirely.

Lockpicking - yes, if Dude A has lockpicking skillz and Dude B doesn't, then you should pick locks with Dude B.

Same with smithing. Same with combat of course.

But stuff like talking, identifying, repairing and trading should automatically pick the highest-skilled character in the party and apply his skills to the task. There's nothing to be gained in terms of immersion and RP for me to open Dude A's inventory, double click on his repair hammer, open Dude B's inventory, click on the repaired item. Where I could just have right-clicked on the item in need of repair, picked "repair" from the menu, and got the message "Dude A repaired Dude B's Epic Codpiece of Extreme Nose." It's called - quality of life. Absence of QOL features doesn't an old-school RPG make. It makes for an annoying RPG.

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
addict
addict
I have to admit that right now I transfer everything to my Ranger who, with items, has a 5 Lore. She ID's the items and then I transfer them back to whomever could use the item.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain.

I got really tired of doing the same to repair items so now all of my characters have one point in Blacksmithing and carry a repair hammer.

veteran
veteran
* I have right click popup box disabled since I find it really annoying and rather instantly use on right-click. Personally, not having that box saves more time than I spend on identify anyway 0_o
Your mileage may vary.

* They're nerver durability into the ground since the beta. Seriously, in all my 70-80 hours of the game I only repaired weapons, never other gear, and that about... 20 times total. Once every 4 hours? Not sure the commotion.

* Identifying is a bit more work of course... I had my "lore character" have the glasses on the last slot of weapons. Then all unidentified went to her. If I went to the weapon tab they all lined up nicely after the glasses. Then identify and distribute once in a while (not identifying immediately finding items), worked good enough for me.

Hopefully these might help some people too getting the most out of them and the game wink

Link Copied to Clipboard