Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#538585 07/08/14 08:55 AM
Noaloha Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've been playing with getting my mod to register a quest (or whatever prompts a 'Journal updated' pop-up and fills text into the Journal section of the menu).

I've been trying to approach it from the angle of a TranslatedString entry that's refered to in the StoryEditor, similar to displaytext, etc.

I'm having no joy though.

If anyone else has got this to work, what me do?

Last edited by Noaloha; 07/08/14 08:55 AM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I actually got it work recently.
First you need to copy from the main module, in the story folder, the folder Journal in your module.
Inside, you have to look for the quest_prototype file. Examine the file and you will understand pretty easyly how it works.

You indeed need to use the translatedKey editor, that the quest_prototype file uses to get the quest title and description.

I am from a phone, so I can't tell you more, if you have problem just reply ill try to answer.

Noaloha Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the tip. I'll have a tinker.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Ok, I'm back home. Let's get more detailed
Inside quest_protype.lsx, you will find this tags:

Code
<node id ="Quest">
                <attribute id="QuestID" value="Diary" type="22"/>
                <attribute id="MainQuest" value="1" type="19"/>
                <attribute id="QuestTitle" value="Diary_Title" type="22"/>
                <children>
                    <node id ="QuestState">
                        <attribute id="Status" value="Update1" type="22"/>
                        <attribute id="Description" value="Diary_Update1_descr" type="22"/>
                        <attribute id="Rewards" value="" type="22"/>
                        <attribute id="Marker" value="" type="22"/>
                        <attribute id="Achievement" value="quest1" type="22"/>
                        <attribute id="Act" value="" type="4"/>
                        <attribute id="Gain" value="" type="4"/>
                        <attribute id="ReputationGain" value="" type="4"/>
                    </node>
                </children>
            </node>

This is the essential you need to make a quest work. Now the important things you need to know about the code:
QuestID will be used in the Story Editor script, for QuestAdd() and QuestUpdate().
QuestTitle will be used in the TranslatedKey Editor to show the title in your Journal.
The node QuestState will be used for any of the update your quest will have, so if you want to add another update, you have to make another node.
Similar to QuestTitle, the attribute Description will be used to show the description text inside the quest. Go in the TranslatedKey Editor and as a value use Diary_Update1_descr(it's an example, you can use your own string there).
The Status Attribute will be used for the QuestUpdate() command. In this case QuestUpdate("Diary", "Update1");
If you want the update to give exp you need to set Act value to 1 and Gain to whatever you want.

The other attributes are still pretty obscure to me, but this the essential you need to know to make it work.

Last edited by ZakMcKracken; 07/08/14 02:59 PM.
Noaloha Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Oh, it's an LSTools thing? I haven't started playing around with editing any of those files yet, so I guess this is as good a reason as any to learn how it works. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the extra info. I can confidently say, with my lack of .lsx experience so far, that I've have had a tough time working that all out myself. Bless you.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Look, i'll give you my quest_prototypes file, there are less lines in comparison to the original one so you don't get too lost.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/e0858fpxrut414r/quest_prototypes.lsx

Noaloha Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Wonderful, many thanks. I actually feel like a bit of a dufus right now. For some reason I had it in my head that I could only edit .lsx files from within LSTools, which goes some way to explaining why I was finding all the info about the process very confusing (albeit, after only cursory investigation on my part).

Of course, now I see (and I've even watched this previously in a few tutorials) that you can just open the things in NotePad++. That makes things much nicer for me to engage with.

If I get some proper time this evening, I'll sit down and get this all to work.

Noaloha Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just to let you know, worked a treat. Very simple. Thank you again. smile

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Did they change how journal works? Because I don't seem to be able to find the quest_prototype anywhere in the Divinity folder. :-/

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
It should be under Mods/Main/Story/Journal/quest_prototypes.lsx

Also see:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551277#Post551277

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Is there a way to do this from within the editor itself?

old hand
old hand
Nope, that's one of the things on my wishlist.

If you do tackle journals, my "pro tip" would be to create at least every entry with 10 possible entries. Even if you don't use them it's easier than going back to the file and adding more later.

Last edited by SniperHF; 26/11/15 08:16 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard