Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#542929 13/08/14 09:41 AM
stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I post this just as a heads up to others who my be considering buying the game from GOG.

GOG in their infinite wisdom has decided to change their game installer of D:OS to a new version, apparently to accommodate the latest 3meg hotfix patch from Larian.
So what you say? Well friends that means that if you have the release version of the GOG installer of D:OS you now have to once again download the full 8+Gig of game.
And too bad if GOG decides in a few weeks to update their installer again. That will be another 8+Gig download thank you.

Now for those of you who have unlimited bandwidth with your isp...well power to you I say.
But for all us other poor buggers out there who have restricted internet that is unacceptable.

So be warned. GOG is the only retailer of the game to do this.

And to think I was that close to getting Steam version. ouch

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Why exactly would you redownload the full installer? Just get the 3mb hotfix, its aviable as a separate download. And i think it's a good thing they update their installers to provide an up to date game, as long as they still offer the patches for people with older installers (which they do).

enthusiast
enthusiast
However, GOG do remove the old patches after a few weeks (at least they have done so far) so if you you don't download them immdiately you risk having to redownload the entire thing again.

stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Okay for your information pts this is why...

When a person who has the GOG version of the game that was downloaded upon release attempts to install the latest hotfix, the following error message comes up in the GOG downloader...

"This patch does not support your version of the game please download a new installer"
The installer it refers to is the latest 8+Gig installer that GOG has posted in their download section.

So that is why people are complaining. They are not offering as you say "patches for people with older installers" in this case.

The only way to update the latest patch from Larian via GOG is to completely download the whole game again.

I hope that makes more sense. smile

edit:
and Jacob Marner....I have immediately updated every patch as it has been released by GOG....so that is not the issue.

Last edited by stubbie; 13/08/14 11:07 AM.
Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
I always supported GOG and bought my releases from them but now I wish i had bought the game on steam.
The real horrible thing is that GOG version has no online play other than LAN.
Shame on them i will never buy on GOG again.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Zerkain
I always supported GOG and bought my releases from them but now I wish i had bought the game on steam.

I think once their galaxy system is running, you will also be able to play online as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elwyn

I think once their galaxy system is running, you will also be able to play online as well.

Yes. The GOG version was originally planned to be released together with Galaxy in late August, but due to pressure from the community it was released earlier. That means that Galaxy support is not available yet.

Support
Support
GOG version has no online play other than LAN.

And Direct Connection, using either an IP address or Server ID. I believe that is more options than most games on GOG have for peer to peer multiplayer.

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by stubbie

The only way to update the latest patch from Larian via GOG is to completely download the whole game again.

I hope that makes more sense. smile

Ok yes that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. The upcoming galaxy client will probably include an automated update service like steam, but for now it seems you might really have to redownload. This is certainly annoying, hope it will get solved soon.

Support
Support

Someone in the GOG forum posted a link for the 4 files included in the hotfix, making it possible to manually update them.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Is there something wrong with steam or does gog have something better to offer? It's been hassle free for me with steam for ANY game. Just wondering.

journeyman
journeyman
GOG is DRM free!

Even if GOG closed down tomorrow, I could still play the games I'd bought from them. Can the same be said for Steam?

Also, with my GOG version, I have full control over the patching process. If a new patch breaks the game or my mods, I can choose not to install that patch. I don't think Steam users have that luxury.

No, I'm afraid the reasons for not using Steam are just too many. And I for one will never buy a game from Steam.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Klixen
Even if GOG closed down tomorrow, I could still play the games I'd bought from them. Can the same be said for Steam?

Yes. I've been without internet for months on end, and was able to play every game I owned except for online ones.

enthusiast
enthusiast
GOG is DRM free!
Even if GOG closed down tomorrow, I could still play the games I'd bought from them. Can the same be said for Steam? ->

drm free games and games that do not require online authentication YES

Also, with my GOG version, I have full control over the patching process. If a new patch breaks the game or my mods, I can choose not to install that patch. I don't think Steam users have that luxury.

-> yes they do

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
Originally Posted by stubbie
...And too bad if GOG decides in a few weeks to update their installer again. That will be another 8+Gig download thank you...And to think I was that close to getting Steam version. ouch

Isn't this being a bit melodramatic? GOG has offered excellent support for D:OS so far with most patches being implemented within a couple of days of Larian's updates.

The latest hotfix has problems (yes, I can't apply it either) but it uses the same patcher as previous versions and given the number of posters reporting issues at the GOG forum, I don't doubt it will be addressed.

Every other patch works and you can update to 1.107 from the initial release. It isn't in GOG's interest to force repeat downloads (they pay for bandwidth too) so the sensible course of action is to give them a few days before complaining far and wide.
Originally Posted by dwelfusius

-> yes they do
Not by default - auto-updates have to be manually disabled, in advance and for each game separately.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Not by default - auto-updates have to be manually disabled, in advance and for each game separately.

Irrelevant to the question of "IF", relevant to the question of "HOW". In essence, what I'm saying is that both of you are right, just in the context of two related but different questions.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Originally Posted by Stargazer

Irrelevant to the question of "IF", relevant to the question of "HOW". In essence, what I'm saying is that both of you are right, just in the context of two related but different questions.

I was right with you on this, until I just updated Steam. Now, there's no option to prevent updates, only the following choices:

Always keep this game up to date
Only update this game when I launch it
High Priority - Always auto-update this game before others

Hopefully it's a glitch that they'll soon fix.

M
stranger
stranger
M
GOG is DRM free!

No, I'm afraid the reasons for not using Steam are just too many. And I for one will never buy a game from Steam.

Have you really given Steam a try or just on the anti-DRM bandwagon? There's an offline mode for Steam. I can play all of my games offline a lot of times...b/c my internet kinda sucks. I understand your concern but Steam doesn't force you to go online to play your games. Perhaps I haven't gotten a game where it forces you to auto-online ID but non of my steam games forces you to do that.

Last edited by moredrowsy; 16/08/14 09:13 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I always play offline. Playing via starting this game through Steam, slows it down massively for me. So I just run the game program .exe, and Steam is out of the loop. Much smoother running. Yes, I am using my gaming computer: which still uses winxp.

Originally Posted by moredrowsy
...There's an offline mode for Steam. I can play all of my games offline a lot of times...b/c my internet kinda sucks. I understand your concern but Steam doesn't force you to go online to play your games...
And how did you actually test this? Unless you physically disconnected your computer from the Internet or used a decent third-party firewall to block network access for steam.exe, then you're not actually offline - Steam can (and will) still make online checks, though less frequently, as noted in Valve's Offline FAQ and confirmed by multiple reports from other Steam users.

D:OS may be in a minority which do not need Steam after install, but for every other title, the likelihood of losing access due to connection issues (or account closure) should be a significant concern.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard