Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
stranger
stranger
F
If D:OS toolset was that cumbersome this massive game would have never got done. I agree some things are ridiculous, like making a new item and getting it into your mod, but there is some potential. It's been 12 years since NWN was released, peoples memory is hazy over that long of period. Aurora was more intuitive and polished, but you still had to bury your head in it for a long time before you could do anything other than a basic fed ex quest.

Last edited by Fleshgolem; 28/09/14 06:58 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I played NWNs for about five years, the last three spent building and DMing my own world with an eight hour closed session every Sunday. I had the same half dozen players and a few co-DM helpers for the entire period. I created over 500 areas for my world, scripted heavily and ended up using 2GB of modded content customising every aspect of the game.

Divinity is a very interesting prospect but it cannot really be compared to NWNs 1. I've had the briefest of looks at the editor and it seems more like the complexity encountered in the Electron engine (NWNs 2) although without the polish. Having said this... if they were to improve the usability I would be very tempted to give it a go.

The real difference between the two games of course is the turn-based combat. I can't see this working in a Persistent World or massed PvP situation - having to wait your turn would make it too easy to gang up on an individual player - but I think it would be fine for small co-op party play.

M
Mag Offline
journeyman
journeyman
M
I also bought this game for the editor. The game looked awesome but when I saw there was an editor I took the plunge.

I spent a bunch of time searching the forums to figure out how to download and setup the editor. Watched the tutorial videos and practiced by building a small prison scene.
There must have been one or more updates since the tutorial videos because the editor contains bugs which are not addressed in the videos. Also the video leaves several pieces of required code out but somehow it works fine for the instructor. Again I found the answer on the forums. I know the videos are stale after the first update but please at least provide release notes for the editor.

I've spent about two months learning how to use the editor. The most frustrating part is how unpredictable it is. I've completely rewritten systems in my mod to fix errors, only to have the editor begin crashing upon loading the mod. It doesn't crash when I reload the level, the story, or switch mods by opening a blank and then opening my work. Not to mention the terrain bug. If I wasn't so hard headed I would have quit by now and moved onto a different game. The problem is the dang game is so good..

I also wonder how in the world they made DOS with this editor...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard