Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast

Last edited by henryv; 10/10/14 02:46 PM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Gamer Gate reached Germanyï½´s most influential newspaper, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung FAZ:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...gen-in-sicherheit-gebracht-13204256.html

Without going into details about the struggle, the newspaper writes that a female games developer had to be protected by the police after having received serious murder threats.

If that is true it is more than sad.

Regards,
Thorsten

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Thorsten
Gamer Gate reached Germanyï½´s most influential newspaper, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung FAZ:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...gen-in-sicherheit-gebracht-13204256.html

Without going into details about the struggle, the newspaper writes that a female games developer had to be protected by the police after having received serious murder threats.

If that is true it is more than sad.

Regards,
Thorsten

I already covered that on the other thread. If that is true, yes that is sad.

There has been recent events that people received "doxx" or threat reports from anti-gg, but when pro-gg received the same, they were silent.

https://twitter.com/GGfeminist/status/520754494313754624

The person who have received the "threat" on the first picture is a known troll. So, I will leave it to you to decide whether or not you want to believe it.

https://archive.today/ApOy0
https://archive.today/PjNM4

And if you did find the tweet about the "threat/doxx" the messages doesn't even state #Gamergate, yet the tweeter manages to connect both #Gamergate and the messages.

There shouldn't be a focus on this issue though because what we're fighting against is the corruption in gaming media. One act of a person, again, doesn't represent the group.

Last edited by henryv; 13/10/14 10:42 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ewww. This #GG stuff is happening here? Gross.

Originally Posted by henryv
what we're fighting against is the corruption in gaming media.

Don't be silly, no you're not. The 'fight' is far too targeted and specific for such a description. It's another right-wing MRA movement, trying to stifle progressive voices within the industry.

Which is all that needs to be said. But for the sake of making a proper argument when such a thing is so rare from inside the #GG box, I'll leave this here:

Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Baldwin, etc.? Real noble, gracious spokespeople GamerGate has there, huh? They're not at all notorious in their political leanings, right? Oh no, no sir. Ha.

I know as well as you do that Milo, Baldwin, etc. don't give two meaningful craps about some writer giving full disclosure in a videogame review. They're in it because the 'enemy' of Gamergate has always been females situated outside of the status quo. The same old, tired, somewhat pathetic and desperate, Men's Rights Activism battle. Jeez, you have Breitbart and Vox Day -- Vox Day! -- as champions for the hashtag. Good lord. These are your frontline voices! Fighting for friendly videogame integrity? Give me a break.

Your catch-all, unspecific, honourable-sounding, sanitised recruitment pamphlet headline - "fighting against the corruption in gaming media" - is demonstrably horseshit, since copious examples of questionable activity have gone, are going and will continue to go entirely unchallenged. The only 'corruption' the movement targets is the conspiratorial "SJWs are controlling the press". That's it. Please change your recruitment pamphlet's agenda from "fighting against the corruption in gaming media" to "fighting against the influence of vaginas in gaming media". At least start from a point of honesty.

Last edited by Noaloha; 14/10/14 12:37 PM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Noaloha
It's another right-wing MRA movement, trying to stifle progressive voices within the industry.

Oh, brother....

Originally Posted by Noaloha
Please change your recruitment pamphlet's agenda from "fighting against the corruption in gaming media" to "fighting against the influence of (women) in gaming media". At least start from a point of honesty.

*sigh* rolleyes

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jito463
Oh, brother....

Nice refutation, well considered and poignant. Good example of the hashtag's reluctance to engage with specifics. Thanks for the help.

*sigh* rolleyes

It's called metonymy. Or, I guess more specifically, synecdoche. It's a literary device, in the above example used as a way of lessening a gender. The 'influence of vaginas' thing was/is? a fairly common phrase used on Gamergate sites 8chan and KotakuInAction.

If you outright deny that large aspects of the hashtag inescapably align with anti-social justice issues, then you're ignorant or a liar.

My point stands: "fighting against the corruption in gaming media" is deceptively vague and demonstrably untrue. The hashtag is fighting against a very specific kind of perceived corruption ('SJW's are secretly trying to manipulate our media), to wit, a conspiracy theory.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
For an older outsider non Anglo Sexonian this dispute is fairly amusing and juvenile enough to remind oneself on ones own younger days.

So please continue.

Regards,
Thorsten

addict
addict
I don't read Kotaku or 8chan (never even heard of it), and to be honest I'm not even following the whole "gamergate" crap. Also, I don't use twitter. My whole issue with your post is your attempt to politicize it with the "right wing" comment, thus attempting to debase an entire political leaning with your own twisted POV.

I was simply too tired at the time of my original post to even attempt to form a coherent response to such nonsense.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's not an 'attempt to politicise', like I'm inserting politics into something that is apolitical. I'm not skewing something. It's a description of what the hashtag largely stands for, by any definitions you care to use. Read up on the Gamergate crap, none of this is exactly hidden. I trust you understand the usefulness in describing political leanings when they're intrinsic to it. Your 'debase' thing is a conclusion I don't follow; I don't know if that's a perceived slight on your end or a misunderstanding.

Given the ugliness surrounding the whole thing at the moment, I feel like sighing and rolling eyes is a little crass, but again as you said, you're not following the matter.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard