26/03/15 01:15 AM
26/03/15 01:15 AM
Colorado USA
Felixg91 Offline OP
enthusiast
Felixg91  Offline OP
enthusiast

Colorado USA
Anyone else think Opportunity attacks are broken?

As in they do not happen enough or for all the right reasons?

Basicly I feel that anything moving through, or taking an action in a toons strike radius should provoke an attack of opportunity,
The game is pretty fair in that it shows with a red circle when you risk being the recipient of one before you move, but it is lousy in applying that to enemies, and I think that the chance % (if that is how it is determined to happen) is far too low.

In Temple of Elemental Evil ( old D&D game but with great turnbased combat) the fact is that you did not need a talent to do it ( which I think is the correct approach as long as you are holding a melee weapon-which you usually are) and it warned you before you put yourself in the way of the fist, but if you did you could just about guarantee you were gonna get hit, the computer knew it as well so rarely did it unless it was worth it in terms of the fight.

Re: Opportunity Attacks [Re: Felixg91] #564798
26/03/15 01:49 AM
26/03/15 01:49 AM
Stabbey Offline
veteran
Stabbey  Offline
veteran

The red circle thing is actually slightly bugged. The AoO trigger radius is slightly smaller than the display, so you can move to a white circle, but get with an AoO anyway.

As far as it triggering for the player, I've got a guy who has that Talent and it seems to be working reasonably for him.

Originally Posted By: gGeo
Casting and shooting weapons in heat of battle should not be so easy:
Ranged shoot, or cast provokes attack of oportunity.

Originally Posted By: Felixg91
Yeah using a spell or a missile weapon within striking distance of a combatant using a melee weapon should provoke an attack of opportunity...I am really surprised and dismayed that it does not.

Generally, I think this is an okay idea. I do not think that it should be applied as a blanket effect to everyone.

Rangers by definition should usually not be in melee range of enemies to begin with, but I'll put that aside.

If the AoO rules were to be changed to include ranged attacking and casting, I think that touch-range skills, and self-target-only effects should be exempt from provoking AoO's. Touch range for the obvious reason that they are MEANT to be used at close range, and self-target-only ones for balance reasons. I'd also go as far as saying casting healing spells should also be exempt.

I also think that movement/escape skills should also be exempt from provoking AoO's, because they are meant specifically for escaping an enemy without provoking an AoO.

Last edited by Stabbey; 26/03/15 02:06 AM. Reason: typo
Re: Opportunity Attacks [Re: Felixg91] #564799
26/03/15 01:52 AM
26/03/15 01:52 AM
Colorado USA
Felixg91 Offline OP
enthusiast
Felixg91  Offline OP
enthusiast

Colorado USA
Mine seems to work like 25% of the time that it would be possible, it is inconsistent.

Me getting a first swing on Braccus Rex when he stepped in to swing at me, made me realize how much I think it should work better.