Print Thread
Race bonusses and how they are granted #568900
10/09/15 08:07 PM
10/09/15 08:07 PM
Hassat Hunter Offline OP

veteran
Hassat Hunter  Offline OP

veteran

So, we've seen a lot of potential Race bonusses pass along with the Kickstarter upgrades, and one can easily see there's easily up to 10 or so plans for class-specific bonusses alone. Alongside the balance-aspect of that, what would be the best way to actually gain said race bonusses. As far as I know Larian hasn't specifically stated the way they are granted to you. Which of the following 3 would you prefer, can you imagine another way (unlocked through plotevents for example)?

1) All granted on creation. The most risky to balance one, this would just mean all those listed powers, passives and actives are yours to command from lvl 1 onwards. They would risk being overpowered, or turning out just to be a push in the back and not really useful upon being higher-level. Of course it does allow people to quickly test if a certain race fits their playstyle pretty soon in the game.

2) Granted progessively. As you level up, more race bonusses are automatically unlocked, tailered to the level. While the early ones may still be replaced eventually, the risk of a total loss of race-specific bonus and the general stuff taking over on higher levels may be lessened, as more potent powers are also unlocked on higher levels. Of course this means people pretty much need to play a race through the entire game to learn about all their pro's and con's.

3) Race powers are also a skill-tree. Instead of gaining everything like in 2. you have to pick between various upgrades, maybe choosing between the strong dwarf that lifts hammers with ease or the dwarf that can easily drink you under the table 10 times over due to their high constitution. A positive is that it has the spread of powers like 2, but also variety so that even 2 dwarves with the same general set of powers, skills and abilities can wildly vary. The obvious downside of this would be the increased difficulty of balancing and the general need of needing more race-specific bonusses than any of the other paths need.

So which other paths do you see, would you want. Me? I'm personally the biggest fan of 3, which of course has to do with making choices, having a variety of options and if you like X race bonus you might just not choose them than needing to do the full package. Of course I can understand it's less likely to happen to the game due to the additional workload required.

Re: Race bonusses and how they are granted [Re: Hassat Hunter] #568924
11/09/15 12:06 AM
11/09/15 12:06 AM
Stabbey Offline
veteran
Stabbey  Offline
veteran

How about a mix of 1 and 2?

All passive bonuses are granted on character creation. Some active racial skills are granted on character creation, with others granted as your level increases.

EDIT: You would of course, have to be able to see what your potential future skills are, and when they can be unlocked, even if you can't use them currently. That will help you decide what skills to take.

In my opinion option 3 would require a few things (This is not a criticism or dismissal). First, the branching racial skill tree would be its own thing, and would not use the same points as anything else (Talents, Abilities). Secondly, for a tree to be a good design, there would have to be quite a number of potential bonuses. I also agree that it would add to design and balance headaches.

So I think I prefer Option 1, or as I said above, a mix of options 1 and 2.

Last edited by Stabbey; 11/09/15 03:18 AM.
Re: Race bonusses and how they are granted [Re: Hassat Hunter] #568927
11/09/15 12:27 AM
11/09/15 12:27 AM
Dr Koin Offline

addict
Dr Koin  Offline

addict

As Stabbey said, for Option 3 to work, they should add Racial Points or something to the mix, which I don't see as a big issue.
That said, maybe it could work the old way. Rather than being a branching skilltree, you could invest your racial point in whatever is available to you, with the only restriction being the level. You would have a preview of what you will be able to unlock later on.
I believe regular talents ( leech, etc ) worked that way in DOS1 ?

So it would actually be a mix of 1, 2, and 3.
Either you start with 1 or 2 preselected passives, or you can invest 1 or 2 racial points in whatever you like ( passives or actives ).
Along the road, you can select, every X level, an ability in an evergrowing list that includes the starting choices.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Re: Race bonusses and how they are granted [Re: Hassat Hunter] #568945
11/09/15 01:44 PM
11/09/15 01:44 PM
right behind you
Madscientist Offline

addict
Madscientist  Offline

addict

right behind you
Why coose if you can have it all?
I think a combination of 1, 2 and 3 would be perfect grin

If I have to choose, I would take number 3.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi: