Page 31 of 42 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 41 42
mt1 #571263 07/10/15 07:40 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by mt1

Jeff,

Can you explain more of the process that makes up designing a level? I'm more of a hardware person. I have degrees in computer technologies and Business Computer Information Systems. So for me I hear level designer, but I don't know how it ties in with the artist's work, A/I pathing, or say the animations, spell effects and such.

Allright, I'll try to also cover that up!

norD #571264 07/10/15 08:41 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by norD

Do you really want a DOoD in your house?

Oh, I assumed this would be an anjustable A.I., adapting perfectly to our needs? Maybe just a few tweaks necessary to receive a perfect fitting solution?

apprentice
apprentice
Hi people!
Well, the Discord server I made for Divinity people to chat has been snowballing slowly. We get an average of 2-4 people online at a time now, at least. If someone from Larian wants to come check it out, that would be nice~

Elven engineer at your service!
Come join the Discord server for chat and other stuff!
Steam: MechSoldier
N
stranger
stranger
N
Another newb checking in, trying to be all "what's up" and stuff.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
A new blog post ^_^.
This time, 5 personal tips to help you step into the video game industry
https://jfgnord.wordpress.com/

Now need to go to sleep...

norD #571284 08/10/15 06:21 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by norD
A new blog post ^_^.
This time, 5 personal tips to help you step into the video game industry
https://jfgnord.wordpress.com/

Now need to go to sleep...

Nice post Jeff, like always hehe. This makes me really glad that im not in a gaming industry grin.
Still one thing applies everywhere, there is a ton of people looking for job and you need some edge. For example if I didn't worked throughout my studies I wouldn't probably get a job right after.

SteamID: LordW (https://steamcommunity.com/id/LordW1984)
Devine Order of Devinity

Larian made DoS 1 then DoS EE and now they are doing DoS 2, that is 3 games... DIVINITY 3 is comfirmed guys!
LordW #571289 08/10/15 08:48 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by LordW
Nice post Jeff, like always hehe. This makes me really glad that im not in a gaming industry grin.

Yeah, same here: I'm not someone who thrives in high-pressure environments. I'm good at what I do and put in lots of effort, but having everything turned up to 11 all the time isn't for me.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Good read again Jeff, shame I'm useless at all that stuff. I really wish I could draw...My brothers got that talent sadly.

Steam ID: ThePenguinK1d
addict
addict
There's a school in France ( well at least two I think ) that teach videogame design, or something. Supinfogames in northern France and ... And something else, I'll have to ask a colleague of mine who was in the second.

Supinfogames was created some time ago, when I was myself in the "original" school of the group. I think it somehow evolved in something viable nowdays. I'm not sure. I don't think drawing was a prerequisite though : I did an artsy school myself and I don't know to draw for sh!t.

Bottom line : don't dismiss yourself unless you tried really hard. And even then, still don't dismiss yourself. ( hint : I do. I hate wasting time. =) )

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Vometia
Originally Posted by LordW

Yeah, same here: I'm not someone who thrives in high-pressure environments. I'm good at what I do and put in lots of effort, but having everything turned up to 11 all the time isn't for me.

Likewise here. When I was at university I already worked in my field of study at one research laboratory... wuuuf I was at school or at work and on free days I mostly helped around house (read farm which was quite far away). I felt quite burned out my last year. ( lol I was so burned I postponed my thesis to this year grin ) ... now I prefer my new quite workplace, lol who am I kidding im still stressing here.

Devine Order of Devinity

Larian made DoS 1 then DoS EE and now they are doing DoS 2, that is 3 games... DIVINITY 3 is comfirmed guys!
OP Offline
Well, I have a degree in animation but never really did anything with it. Sure a few freelance jobs here and there but never anything stable. I feel like I'm rusty now, the technology and techniques in animation are constantly evolving. And with that, you need to keep up and study.

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
----------------------------
Devine Order of Devinity
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
OP Offline
I finally remembered to bring tea to work! Glorious rooibos tea.

Random thought, I'm on a MMORPG kick lately. Last night I caught myself looking at FFXIV ARR wondering if I should jump in.

Devine Order of Devinity
journeyman
journeyman
Last MMO I played was SWTOR. I only played that cause it was Star Wars (huge fanboy), not really interested in them otherwise. Tried Archage and wasn't fussed.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
MMOs: other people, probably all wanting to shout at me. eek. SWTOR wasn't so bad because everyone studiously ignored each other, but I still felt a bit too conspicuous.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ravensRblack
I finally remembered to bring tea to work! Glorious rooibos tea.

Random thought, I'm on a MMORPG kick lately. Last night I caught myself looking at FFXIV ARR wondering if I should jump in.

Funny : I did finally remembered to bring my tea too. name's " I have a Dream " from Mariage freres ( doh ), black tea - sparkling citrus notes.
With my 500ml vacuum can, it's purrfect. Only drawback is that I have to actually leave the can open or it stays so hot it's undrinkable laugh

MMOs: other people, probably all wanting to shout at me. eek. SWTOR wasn't so bad because everyone studiously ignored each other, but I still felt a bit too conspicuous.

Obivously, as a MMO, it is pretty bad, because it was way too SP oriented. With the companions, we could even dual-man most of the dungeons ( we did ! ). However I liked the classes and the stories seemed nice. Planets had a bad bad BAD design though. I quit in Nar Shadaa because the "Vertical City" never felt so horizontal.
Overall a badly designed MMO which was stuck between his Kotor legacy and a real MMO. We even get to meet, fight and kill(!) Revan along with HK47.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 08/10/15 11:33 AM.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
OP Offline
MMOs: other people, probably all wanting to shout at me. eek.

That's why GW2 has such a special place in my heart. The elitist jerks are limited to the dungeon speed runs.

Originally Posted by Dr Koin
Funny : I did finally remembered to bring my tea too. name's " I have a Dream " from Mariage freres ( doh ), black tea - sparkling citrus notes.
With my 500ml vacuum can, it's purrfect. Only drawback is that I have to actually leave the can open or it stays so hot it's undrinkable laugh

laugh Gotta love them vacuum insulated tumblers.

Devine Order of Devinity
journeyman
journeyman
Don't really have time now to play GW2 but I will definitely find some time for HoT (heart of thorns). I can dig up my nick later if anyone feels like killing mordremoth minions together grin

Devine Order of Devinity

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by The Penguin K1d
Good read again Jeff, shame I'm useless at all that stuff. I really wish I could draw...My brothers got that talent sadly.

Drawing is not the only thing that you can do though :P

Originally Posted by ravensRblack
Well, I have a degree in animation but never really did anything with it. Sure a few freelance jobs here and there but never anything stable. I feel like I'm rusty now, the technology and techniques in animation are constantly evolving. And with that, you need to keep up and study.

I know a lot of people who have any degree of study in any related job who are now doing something completely different because they didn't had any job when they went out of school.

journeyman
journeyman
Just so people are aware, the Discord server is taking off a bit, a couple of the writers appeared earlier. Basically a chatroom for everyone who doesn't want to read all the forum posts and chat with the online peeps. https://discordapp.com/channels/98922182746329088/98922182746329088

OP Offline
Oh man. Missed it. D:

Who dropped by?

Devine Order of Devinity
Page 31 of 42 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 41 42

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian