Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
old hand
old hand
N
I count every sinlge AP in curent system. Dont know why you are not able. Also in the possible new system you can have 5AP to provide 5 attacks. You arguments are trash.

In the new system you get 3 ap every turn... and can store a maximum of 4.

And this applies to you and your enemies.

There might be ways to raise it or enemies that can... but that is the system set.

And sure you MIGHT get 4 attacks at max... but the enemy also gets 4 attacks at max.

Probably you play another game. AP are curently pretty titght related to lenght of movement.

Moves like "fighting moves". Even in EE (especially in EE) the usefulness of an attack isn't very related to the AP cost.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Crossbows could take an AP to reload. Two-handers could have a one or two AP basic attack option. I like the idea of the 2 AP basic attack being a cone attack that can hit multiple targets, but for less damage than the single attack.

Crossbows would really have to do a heck of a lot more damage than bows to make them more worthwhile than bows if they'll use up twice the AP. The cone idea is neat, but again, for double the AP it has to be worthwhile, so if there would be a damage penalty, only about 75-80. (Although I'm not sure why a cone attack would need a damage penalty at all if it's going to cost 2 AP. How often will you have three enemies nearly lined right up beside you together?)

--------

I hope that their idea for "Rogues Dagger-users can attack twice for 1 AP" isn't just some purely cosmetic bull. here's why:

Let's say I've got a dagger-user (Rogue) within dagger-range of two enemies. Enemy A is at very low HP. The Rogue attacks Enemy A, killing it on the first hit. There are two possibilities for what happens next:

Possibility 1: The Rogue's "second attack" will go off automatically, uselessly striking out at the empty air where Enemy A used to be standing. (i.e. Purely cosmetic bull)

Possibility 2: The Rogue can now manually use their second attack to attack Enemy B. (a REAL second attack)

-----------

If Possibility 1 is chosen, I'll be quite disappointed, as that means the "two attacks for the price of one" is just cosmetic bull. That would not be "Dagger-users can attack twice for 1 AP" at all. What it would be instead is "Daggers actually do twice the damage listed on the weapon tooltip, but with a cosmetic-only animation which shows two hits.

Since a DOS 2 Rogue can only perform the same number of attacks as everyone else, it's simply a matter of comparing the numbers between daggers and other one-handed weapons and seeing whether it's Rogues or 1H Warriors who get gypped in terms of damage.

We're already getting a slight preview of this in the EE, with the increase in AP cost of daggers from 2 to 3. That has made the single-dagger Rogue pretty much obsolete. They're still okay because Speed still boosts AP per turn. But once Speed only affects Movement in D:OS 2, what will they be good at?

---

If the daggers do more damage than the other weapons, the only reason to go 1H warrior is for shield stuff, because damage with any other weapon won't be as useful as a dagger. A Rogue will be better at a warrior's job than a warrior?

If the daggers do less damage, then the Rogue's skills will be the primary reason for making a Rogue, because why get into melee range with a fragile, inefficient warrior?

I guess perhaps Rogues in D:OS 2 will deal most of their damage from sneaking and reverse-pickpocketing bombs into enemies inventory?

1 AP Crossbow reload probably wouldn't be worth it. Maybe they generally have a higher chance to inflict statuses? Range is also something to play with, though not sure if xbow or bow would shoot farther. Maybe 2-handers could just have an automatic cone attack for every hit (kind of like Pillars of Eternity), and they could also have a farther reach than other weapons.

Gotta say though I really like the idea of being able to attack two enemies with one attack with dual wield. Definitely annoying when an enemy only needs one strike to die, but you're characters swings into the air for no reason. If you could choose who to hit with each attack, that'd be neat. You might gamble on needing to only hit an enemy once, or use your dual attacks to finish off two really weak enemies with one AP, though that'd be more useful for wands than daggers.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Moves like "fighting moves". Even in EE (especially in EE) the usefulness of an attack isn't very related to the AP cost.
I dont know about any "fighting moves".

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe he is talking about skills like Thunder Jump and Battering Ram, which would become quite usefull now that moving towards an enemy uses up 1/3 of your APs.

addict
addict
Again in defense of the "low AP" system that I find myself a far better idea than the actual system too, I'd point to Xcom. Sure the game genres are slightly different but still they are both offering tactical, turned based combats.
The main difference can be the various stages of spells, like Bitter Cold vs Chain Lighting, as I read in another post that it wouldn't be fair to lower-level spells. Well just as it happens to already be the case in DOS1, lower level spells would gain a better cooldown and improved chances to inflict elemental status, making them both useful as fillers between highend, high damaging spells, or a better option for crowd control when both are available.

As far as weapons go, as I already stated, of course, different types of weapons will require different innate abilities. Maybe dual strike with daggers isn't the answer, maybe an innate abililty to backstab is the way to do it.

At any rate, I still don't get why people would find it a dumbed down or far worse solution to the system in place in DOS1. It ain't broken, sure, but it ain't very fluid or intuitive either. And with up to 4 players in a coop game, waiting forever for each and every character to plan and decide what to do with their APs is a chore. 2 players controlling 4 characters ( in DOS1 ) is a tad quicker as you tend to plan for both characters at once anyway.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Dr Koin
with up to 4 players in a coop game, waiting forever for each and every character to plan
That kind of game would use lees than 5% of product owners.
Secondly, its possible to introduce a system for pre-plan in coop. In coop you can always have focus on your toon. Always have access to your skills and invetory. You could prepare what you want, at the moment its your turn, you just press a button. That way of semi-concurent turns gratly improve gameplay. And is handy for single player. In this case you always have focus of your next toon. So you can prepare in computer movement time. There is a lot of people quick people in single player who hates to wait for getting controls back. I can understated that.

Cut off current deep combat strategy is mistake.

addict
addict
Again in defense of the "low AP" system that I find myself a far better idea than the actual system too, I'd point to Xcom.

I think there is absolutely no issue with comparing it to Xcom. I love Xcom and I'm hyped about Xcom 2.

But D:OS had a combat system that -- while imperfect -- was widely praised. D:OS2 is a sequel, and I think what most of us are looking for is an upgrade to the combat with some of the wrinkles ironed out, much like what we can expect with Xcom 2.

This change seems a bit too radical.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by gGeo
with up to 4 players in a coop game, waiting forever for each and every character to plan
That kind of game would use lees than 5% of product owners.
Secondly, its possible to introduce a system for pre-plan in coop. In coop you can always have focus on your toon. Always have access to your skills and invetory. You could prepare what you want, at the moment its your turn, you just press a button. That way of semi-concurent turns gratly improve gameplay. And is handy for single player. In this case you always have focus of your next toon. So you can prepare in computer movement time. There is a lot of people quick people in single player who hates to wait for getting controls back. I can understated that.

Cut off current deep combat strategy is mistake.

Still, the game has been created with 4 players coop in mind, but I agree it's probably not going to be the main consumer base.

And while I find the combat system fun in DOS1, I also think it needed improvement. And I think a simpler, more intuitive system like the 1ap/action will ultimately make the game more fluid, more dynamic, and more enjoyable... And probably harder.
The only thing that may really suffer from the change is movement - previously, you could choose to side step a bit, launch an action, sidestep again, like 2ap move - 5 ap action - 2 ap move. Now, even moving 2 steps will remove 1ap. This is a tad less organic, but a lot, lot more strategic. Movement and good placement will matter a *lot* more, just like it does in Xcom. Placement means cover, though, and that's probably why they hinted at that possibility in some of the DOS2 videos...

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
old hand
old hand
They'll probably make 1 AP give you up to X movement. Even now if you don't use up all the movement allotted for a single AP, you can make zero AP adjustments to use up all your movement for that AP. I imagine 1 AP in the new system will be about 3 AP of movement in the old one, so you'll probably still be able to take a step, cast a spell, and then shift over again with the rest of the movement from that first AP. Now, if you just want to take a little step just to peek around an object or something, the new 1 AP movement will be a bit less flexible there. Maybe with enough speed you'll be able to make zero AP adjustments? You're probably right that it'll just make movement more valuable overall.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard