Print Thread
F
Fonzosh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Hi,

First and foremost Im new to the forum and to the game (got it on GOG yesterday after a recomendation from one of my friends). So Now I have a ton of questions before actually starting to play the game. Up until now Ive just been messing around in the dungeon. Questions:

1. What is a good starter build for the two characters you start with? That is, what are "a must have".

2. Is there a way to highlight objects on the adventure screen (like old Baldurs gate, just press tab) so that you dont miss all thing things that sometimes can be real hard to see.

3. I really cant find keyes to anything. Are all the chests meant to be smashed or am I just a bad scout?

4. Any tips and tricks for a newb PC gamer are welcome.

stranger
stranger
Hi Fonzosh,

1: That depends what roles you like to play, tank, healer/supporter, ranged, rogue there is alot of various paths you can take, and you can also mix up skills ect, i would say a must have is some healing abilities (hydophist) or however its spelled. Other then that try different abilities, later in the game it will be possible to respec your ability points / skill points with books you purchase.

2: Press Alt

3: Keys in the turtorial dungeon are nearby mostly, you just have to look in the different containers around, also there will be lockpicks or destroy them by holding ctr and attack.

4: Stealing paintings / other valubales, make the npc turn away enter sneak mode "default C key" and loot away, this is just to make life a bit easier, its not a requirement. Before stealing stuff, quicksave (F5) and see how it goes :)

Good luck!

F
Fonzosh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Tenzith
Hi Fonzosh,

1: That depends what roles you like to play, tank, healer/supporter, ranged, rogue there is alot of various paths you can take, and you can also mix up skills ect, i would say a must have is some healing abilities (hydophist) or however its spelled. Other then that try different abilities, later in the game it will be possible to respec your ability points / skill points with books you purchase.

2: Press Alt

3: Keys in the turtorial dungeon are nearby mostly, you just have to look in the different containers around, also there will be lockpicks or destroy them by holding ctr and attack.

4: Stealing paintings / other valubales, make the npc turn away enter sneak mode "default C key" and loot away, this is just to make life a bit easier, its not a requirement. Before stealing stuff, quicksave (F5) and see how it goes smile

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Tenzith. So a rogue (melee/traps/pick lock) and a ranger (ranged/healing) as starting characters are good?

Alt only shows the chests, not all the other stuff. In BG, when you pressed Tab it highlighted everything that you could interact with. Is there such a function? For example, in the beginners dungeon I hade hell finding small stuff lying around in dark corners. In BG, tha tab function would have just highlighted everything.

Last edited by Vometia; 01/11/15 02:20 PM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
There is a highlight button the ï½½ key above the tab key, not sure if it highlights everything though. When you get to cyseal town you will be able to pickup two NPCs that will join your party, one is a mage, and the second one is a fighter (with 2Handed) my friend(s) and i usually made the fighter a tank. Mage pyrokenetic (my friend)Ranger/rogue (me) healer/support (Jahan NPC found in the libery) and Madora the fighter (found in the inn)

Hope this helps a little smile

/Tenzith

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Tenzith
There is a highlight button the ï½½ key above the tab key, not sure if it highlights everything though.

As far as I can tell that key with the tilde, `/~, only highlights your characters and maybe other npcs (I am still on beach so haven't encountered other people to check it with yet). It seems like some loose items on the ground can be displayed with alt but I think containers and other lootable items are not (seems like a poor design decision).

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I wouldn't recommend taking a rogue, they have to be close and only do any damage when backstabbing. Starting out I'd stay away from them, it's easier to keep a single tanky melee alive.

Lockpicks aren't very useful imo, I didn't find a single thing that can't be smashed but can be picked so far. If you can't open a chest just take it and smash or pick it at the homestead with an autoleveled story companion or a henchman with lockpick gear.

Some skills are very good with just 1 point without their mainstats high:
- aero: thunderjump, wind of change, teleport are all great
- witchcraft: oath of desecration, malediction, lower resistances
- water: regeneration, rain
- earth: midnight oil, maybe bless

Very nice and worth to have at 1-2 on 1 of your chars:
- blacksmith, crafting
- barter
- lucky charm
- loremaster
- pickpocket
These will be boosted by gear so don't level them too much. Leadership is kinda in the same boat, but you'll want to have it at 6 so it's probably worth it to take on a PC and have a base level of 3-4 or even 5.

Make grenades and special arrows, they are awesome. Great recipes:
- molotov: bottle + oil barrel + fuse
- oil/ooze flask: flask + oil/ooze barrel
- poison cloud grenade: empty potion vial + ooze barrel + round grenade case
- poison cloud arrow: 2 * (ooze barrel + arrowhead)
The others are good, too but these are the ones with the very common and cheap ingredients.

F
Fonzosh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Thanks for all the feedback. Now I have several ways to start building the first two PCs and I also know what NPCs I will meet in early on. Any more tips are welcome.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard