Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello everyone!Happy New Year! I`ve been already playing about 40 hours with EE.I should notice that EE is really great work over technical issues and perfomance quality.Loading times are 4-5 times faster than in vanilla,there is no more fps drops.I also liked organisation of crafting and inventory management now is not such pain.Voice-overs in my opinion are really not bad.But there are still things which sometimes really gets me angry..

1)There is still limit of dialog conversation lines, IIRC 25 lines,I was forced to edit this to 10000 lines.Is it possible to fix this in the next patсh?

2)Camera management(movement)-Personally I don`t like that you cannot spin around camera ,likewise Dungeon Siege 1/2 or Neverwinter Nights.Please get it possible at least in "following camera" mode,because it`s not comfortable to hold middle mouse button to adjust camera view while exploring or trying to see something really small.

3)Slow reaction of UI and quite slow pace tendency in the game.
This thing really get me crazy and sleepy.
Especially after battles when you`re healing your party members, for example :you trying to switch from Figihter to Healer but it will take about 2 seconds and 2 seconds to choose ability to heal and 1-1,5 seconds for executing.There are unexplainable pauses between these actions.Heroes are also moving pretty slow and their reactions to commands takes couple of seconds.This is one of the reasons why I dropped original game.Divine Divinity is the best example of quick responsibility of UI and your hero.

4)Shadow rendering-I don`t know what happened, but after one of the patches I noticed that shadows on Ultra became uglier than it was earlier.

5)Issues with status window(or whatever it`s called)
I mean window at right lower corner of the screen.Sometimes there are not showing info about certain events ,for instance how many exp. you`ve got for killing or completing quests,or line of the dialogs or banter.

6)Reducing difficulty at the end (!!!Minor Spoilers!!!)

Not actually my feedback ,but I saw reports and reviews that describe about easy victory in this part,I like hardcore and I like games where you must to do everything to survive in the game especially at the final battle where everything depends of your tactics,heroes build,equipment.
Personally I am ready to wait for another half of the year to meet really hard Big Boss.
I have to say, I`m playing Tactitian Mode, I completed all quests which was possible and killed all creatures(but citizens) and explored everything in Cyseal before leaving city,but game does`nt offer much challenge seriously,I intetionally did not play in vanilla about 8 months to forget about game.But it quite easy to win batlles, sometimes it seemes easier than vanilla at hard.I am not Tactician genius,not Batman or Deathstroke.Now I am level 5 and my enemies at 4th
Maybe you should increase vitality of enemies for +20 percents?

Now questions
1)Will DirectX 12 be supported?If I launch DOS:EE on Windows 10,will I be able to see any perfomance improvements?

2)When approximately we can see the game Editor?Will you make 4 player coop support?

3)Is it planned any big patches(except Editor release)?
Thank you in advance!!

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
A
addict
addict
A
Happy New Year from me as well! Great post, James! I agree to all points you listed.
I'd like to make some additions:

to 2) Camera:
One gets a bit seasick from the camera tilting (do you say so?) at the level borders. I don't see any use for that since levels are designed to rotate camera 360° to see everything.
By the way: Would it be possible to disable camera-adjustment on the y-axis to experience the game-world in a new (third-person) perspective?

to 3) UI and reaction:
In original version of D:OS it was already possible to switch between characters and issue new commands while another character was executing an action; this should be possible in EE, too. In general, some acceleration of reaction and executing, as James mentioned, would be very good to improve the flow.
An option to disable 'questmarkers' (as already discussed in some threads) would be appreciated by many ('classical' rpg-)players.
I also wonder why some UI-elements have been changed for PC-version. The player-characters, for example, are now represented by huge coulored dots on the maps. It may be necessary for greater distances to the monitor, but under the aspect of rpg-design (even in so called 'modern' times) it doesn't appear to me to be the best solution. It's a little bit to 'fat', 'abstract(ing)' and 'eyecatching'; it reminds of being an functional and somehow 'fancy' UI-Element, I mean: the best UI-Elements are those you see but don't recognize ;-) - Maybe this is a case for an UI-Mod from someone who has the right program to edit and save swf-files (probably most players are fine with the new design). Until then, it's possible to copy the 'minimap'-file from D:OS to the Data - Public - Game - GUI folder of EE (i. e. unpaking Game.pak of D:OS with Norbytes Pak-Extractor, creating the mentioned folder and copying the file into it). It brings the old green and red unpretentious dots back to the minimap.
The same 'problem' is the new marker for where your character walks to. Rotating circles seem to be a console-like thing (for saving there found another rotating circle into EE) which is fine as long as you like it. For me it feels like my eyes fighting against aesthetic windmills over and over again. I loved D:OS for its roleplay-friendly 'silence'. Now there are voices (battle, looting, dialogs, automated dialogs), huge moving dots and rotating circles ALL the time. It's a question of what type of player you are. For me EE got a bit too full of visual und audio-effects, obviously to open for a new audience, partly influencing what was great and irreplaceable in D:OS in a worse way (thinking of some really outstanding and lovely voice actings like cheese vendor, Esmeralda and her legionnaire Septimus, the Bellegarette, the Bard of the Dead King, the Jumping Chest and some more). And these rotating-circles irrationally became an incorporation of this different (maybe 'console'-orientated) spirit for me, even there where changes were just functional changes for technical playability with consoles or necessary for story-improvements. There are some other changes which, rationally, proof this change of spirit or spirit of change (which does not or not under all aspects mean 'worse' or 'better', just different), which leads

to 6) E. g., there are new powerful and effectful skills (which I like) and (what I really don't like) changes to the relations of damage - health - resistances and the possibilities of crowd-control that make the game, as James and many others in several threads stated, way too easy (even) on tactician-mode (to remember: tactician-mode was designed for hard challenges, gently forcing the player to get deep into the game-mechanics and avoid any mistakes). But rebalancing the game is probably another (and the most difficult) issue that should be solved by the modding community (as it already happens) to avoid complaints about changes to the changes of EE and change the game so often that it loses it's identity. It's fine as it is and should not be overhauled too heavily again - but it should be remembered and regarded in the development process of D:OS 2 (what is the case, I'm sure).

to 4) Graphics:
I recognized this shadow-issue, too. But as far as I remember, it has been there even before the patch. It can be easily seen how the shadow quality changes if you zoom in and out. Clouds have this problem as well.

Some additional issues left:

7) Dialog Box:
There is still a problem with scrolling down the dialog options if there are too many to be completely displayed (e. g. Mendius). You have to drag the right arrow down and can't scroll with mouse-wheel; and it always jumps back. I'm not sure, but I've seen some other 'jumps' in the dialog box in some cases.

8) Arrow-/Spell-Targeting:
There are still targeting issues if there is a difference of height between source and target.

9) Sound:
Not a bug, but the sound-effect for dropping, picking up and equipping weapons and armor is a quite bad one. Why has the previous sound been replaced in a recent patch?

10) Animations and effects of actions:
There are still some strange animations during combat; in cases of getting stunned during attack for example (think of the shadow spiders in front of the witch cabin). The effect of the attack is successful regardless of the stunned state applied before attack animation ends.

11) The most important thing:
Still a fantastic rpg!

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you for support-)

Originally Posted by Abraxas*

to 2) Camera:
One gets a bit seasick from the camera tilting (do you say so?) at the level borders. I don't see any use for that since levels are designed to rotate camera 360° to see everything.
By the way: Would it be possible to disable camera-adjustment on the y-axis to experience the game-world in a new (third-person) perspective?

I didn`t notice camera tilting.Actually Larian have redone all assets for rotating in 360 degrees it was one of the key features of EE.

About UI and reaction

Yeah,I know that switching between characters was possible,but this switching is taking about 2 seconds,and furthermore in vanilla there were no any strange delays between attacking(destroying) objects,good example about Snorri, it is undead strongmen ,it is offer you to break crystal ball or something like that,of course you could constantly press CTRL+Mouse button ,to win rather quickly.

About 6,7,8 and 11 points.Totally agree with you !
One minor complaint
1)Minor bug- while trading if you refuced to identify or repair loot by clicking right mouse button,it shuts down trading window.

A
addict
addict
A
Hey, thanks for your answer smile

Isn't the camera rotating on one axis when you reach the level borders inside a dungeon, so you have a view from above? The camera angle turns to 90 degrees, as if you looked down from the ceiling. Pretty strange! Did it never occur to you? Maybe, seeing rotations everywhere from some dark sourcery ;-)

Ui and reaction:
I totally agree with you. There is a delay in EE, in Vanilla there wasn't. I just wanted to point out that it has changed since EE, what must not be in an enhanced edition. I hope Larian is aware of this issue and will fix it.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah you`re quite right,I also experienced this behavior of camera-)

Last edited by James 540; 04/01/16 07:09 PM.

A
addict
addict
A
Addition to 10) Animations:
I figured out some strange rat-animations when I hit them. I guess, they kind of teleport to where they would have been if I hadn't occupied them with my daggers. ;-)

12) Item-information window:
I wonder if these windows became a bit to big in relation to the normal distance between Player and Screen on PC, so there's a significantly greater angle between eyes - highest point of the item window - lowest point of the item window which is more uncomfortbale for your eyes (the greater the angle the greater the movement; I think the current sizes of these windows (depending on the amount of information) make a noticeable difference); you have to look up and down a lot more and can't see the most relevant information (AP, Damage, etc.) at one look any more which may be affected by the new design (colours, icons, placement/organization of information etc.) and partly - which is not the point, I think - by the greater amount of information, too. Is that an issue for other players as well? - Changing the UI scale doesn't solve the problem of design and relational size; the sizes of skillbar, map, character portraits become too small then.

It seems to be an issue (the dialog box issues as well) produced by UI changes for consoles: different distances between player and screen, and in orientation towards other design preferences (as you can see from the cover-design, too, which is fine: I'm not against good changes or alternatives). Before release of EE it was stated that UI changes would not affect the PC version. In regard to these three/four issues (Item windows, dialog box, maps and, maybe, the rotating circle thing) it's obviously not the case and should possibly be revised, after consulting other PC player's opinions (this is just my analysis and point of view).

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard